• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale '17 Hidden Gems & Under-The-Radar Recommendations thread

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So as a self-proclaimed horror enthusiast, I'm going to post two things;

-A list of horror games under $3 currently made by NeoGAF'ers (in alphabetical order).

and

-My personal top 25 horror games under $3 (in alphabetical order)..

I won't include GAF'er made games but list them first as I think they should be a separate thing (even if some of them may have ended up in my top 25 otherwise), and for my list keep in mind while I've played a lot of horror games I haven't played all of them (yet), so I won't include things I haven't personally touched. I also will be going just for my personal opinion but try to vocalize who I think the game would be for, but while I think there's some games that may have broader appeal than what I'm going to recommend I'm going to go by my personal thoughts with this one. You might be surprised, but I had to make some tough calls to cut some games out of the top 25, so being clear I'm not saying these aren't the only horror games worth checking out that are $3 or less.

I'll probably do some lists on other days for horror games prices between $3-6, and $7-10 as well before the sale is over. But there's a lot of surprising horror gems even just under $3.

ALL PRICES WILL BE LISTED IN USD ($).

Now with all this said...

GAF'er Made Horror Games Under $3:

Claire - $2.49

DISTRAINT - $0.99

Dungeon Nightmares - $0.89

Malebolgia - $2.59

Red Haze - $1.79

Shutter - $0.99

Silence of the Sleep - $1.69

---

Top 25 Horror Games I'd Recommend Under $3 (Alphabetical Order & GAF'er Made Games Exempt)

Alicemare - $2.39

A 2D horror-esque fairytale really. Loosely inspired by Alice in Wonderland, you follow a boy who lost his memories and wandered into a strange land. It's kind of relaxing, has a few challenging puzzles, but probably the best part is its story. It deals with some lighthearted and dark themes, has multiple endings, and has a few emotionally impacting moments, nice artwork, and fairytale tones.
ss_67d120530aa8068b120937e4986e65f02f8b66fc.600x338.jpg
ss_dd38c9116a1ee8a7861fc050819a42f1c3952f0c.600x338.jpg

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - $2.99

One of the most popular indie horror games of all time, it's been popular for a reason. It's good, I have a few issues with it personally but the issues don't ruin the experience. A fun location, good atmosphere, some good puzzles, and not-so-bad pacing either. Sure you've heard of it, if you haven't played it before now's not a bad time to consider it.

Camp Sunshine - $1.69

A 16-bit styled game where you're at summer camp when a rampaging murderer begins to kill people. Now it's a game where you do have to collect some things in order to escape as the killer comes after you, but it's got a lot of 80s horror flair, a few puzzles and side optional stuff, interesting backstory, and nice music/atmosphere. A couple hours long and a nice little experience.

Dead End Road - $0.74

It's a horror rogue-like driving game where you're being chased by the devil with random sanity effects, point'n'click town sections, some upgrades, multiple routes, and a light comedy aspect. The concept will either sell you on the game, or it won't. It has great value for it's price though.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut - $2.49

Almost the definition of a cult classic, the PC port of DP has some issues and you might have to use some outside patches and solutions on certain machines to resolve, but I would actually say the PC version is the best version of the game. Follow FBI Agent Francis York Morgan as he comes to the town of Greenvale to investigate the murder of Anna Graham in a very Twin Peaks-inspired game. Very quirky, funny, emotional, with a obvious low-budget and some issues, but is an experience you may never forget.

DreadOut - $1.49

A horror game from Indonesia styled like an indie horror take on Fatal Frame with Indonesian folklore. It's actually very good, it shows it's low-budgeted but manages to combat this with creativity and some stellar moments. Interesting story, good atmosphere, backed with a surprising number of sectors to take care of. If you want a well done horror game that manages to be utterly effective, charming, and something more akin to a PS2-esque horror experience than more modern, this might be right up your alley.

Fibrillation HD - $2.79

This is a remastered version of a previously free game but with new content and much improvements. The original was good, but this version is great. The few years between releases and the feedback and thoughts from the original accumulated to make a much better experience. The game is surreal and features you in an odd and abstract environment solving puzzles, surviving, and putting together a dialogueless story, but rich with environmental storytelling. Number of secrets and a great atmosphere.

Harvester - $1.19

This is one of the classic 90s FMV horror games, and one of my personal favorites from that genre of horror. It's one of the hammiest yet gruesome horror games you'll ever play, it was made to offend and be over the top in the 90s, but now is maybe even more so give a couple decades for it to age. You wake up as a guy named Steve in some town that's like a 50s-60s sitcom where you don't remember anyone but they all seem to know you, and there's some rather strange things happening in this town. It has some glacial pacing in the middle, but it's worth playing through to the end. This game is over-the-top hilarious glazed over with clamminess with a lot of grotesque and just odd imagery. Just remember, Steve is such a kidder.

I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream - $1.19

This is the classic horror point'n'click from the 90s based off of a classic horror novel of the same name. A crazed AI has taken over the world and tortures five poor souls while throwing them into a personal hell they must overcome. It's a classic point'n'click horror adventure for a reason.

Into The Gloom - $0.74

So I'll be frankly honest, for some reason this game scares the shit out of me. It's got a very oppressive atmosphere and can go from being really constrained of anything happening, and then suddenly unleash all hell in a horrific way. The audio is on-point, and the white/black/red aesthetic the game has is surprisingly effective. The game's story is kind of in the background though (even though it has multiple endings), and this game has some gruelingly difficult puzzles, so be warned. But it's an interesting puzzle-horror with a nice style, and is probably one of the scariest games I've played on Steam in my personal opinion (though that is subjective and all that).

Kio's Adventure - $1.59

A deceptively cute video game that's just bizzare and fucked up in all the right ways. It has a bad English translation, but it's a strange case where the bad translation somehow adds more to the games off-kilterness? It's got a surprisingly good story despite this though, a detailed world, a lot of gruesomness and creepiness, and overtly detailed death scenes. Stars a girl who ends up after an earthquake ending up in an alternate world with organs and monsters.

Lakeview Cabin Collection - $2.49

A surprisingly tense and intelligent open-world horror-puzzle game of sorts. You start off in a movie theater and choose one of 5 films playing, all of which are sequels in a single horror franchise and each one parodying a horror movie (Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Alien, etc.), and then you're thrown into an open world stage where you're free to do about anything and control four different characters. You can drink until you vomit, sleep, play guitar, cook something, have sex, kill yourself, and a LOT more. It's fun to just mess around in, but quickly you'll find you're not alone and each episode has several dangers that are coming for you. In order to survive you must prepare and struggle; each 'Film' has several different endings to obtain based on who you help survive, what you manage to accomplish in each film, etc. Complete all five films and you'll also unlock a secret 6th film. There's a lot here both for people who just want to mess around and have fun or who want to take it seriously and solve some rather tough situations to survive.

The Last Door Season 1 & 2 - $2.49 individually, $4.48 together

So I'm cheating a bit including these two together, but this is ENTIRELY worth checking out. The Last Door is an episodic point'n'click horror game series, it lasts for 10 episodes with the final episode of Season 2 being the 'finale' of the whole series. With a riveting story, very well done horror scenes, an intriguing world and puzzles... This is hard to sell completely without spoiling it, but if you love good horror stories matched with a good horror point'n'click that has fantastic atmosphere and pacing told in an episodic structure, you will probably love this.

Mono - $2.79

It's kind of an anthology horror game with three short stories that all have connections for one underlying narrative. You experience these stories and things in the world begin to change. It's got a great atmosphere and some pretty good horror scenes. It has an AI that wants to get out and is messing with these stories, and has some fun twists with that and unique mechanics that come into play. It's worth checking out.

The Music Machine - $1.99

Now this one requires a particular taste. It's a walking sim with some loose puzzles involving a single character, a teenage girl, who comes to an island that was once part of a summer camp place and who may either have split personalities or is actually possessed by the ghost of a once-upon-a-time murderer. It uses a sort of singular color with black motif, and it gets a bit bizarre, but it has a fascinating story, some interesting twists and turns, and a certain style that I just adored. If you don't mind trying an experience sort of game that's not too long but unique, I'd recommend it.

Outlast - $2.99

One of the few indie horror breakouts. It has good production values, though the scariness is kind of frontloaded and it suffers some from repetition. Still it has some interesting bits throughout and not a badly done narrative, it looks quite nice and the camera mechanic is well utilized. I think part of why it's been so successful is due to its accessibility. Game is NSFW with moments made to gross you out purely, nudity, etc. If you want to pick it up, I also recommend you pick up its Whistleblower DLC as it may be better than the original game even.

Pathologic Classic HD - $2.59

This is a cult classic 2000s Russian game. It is cryptic, difficult, mysterious, and completely unique. It takes a lot of investment to see it through with some tediousness and commitment to come to understand things to progress, but it might stick with you, has a unique story... In basic, you're investigating a town and solving a grand and multi-layered mystery as a plague is spreading and the town for some reason is split into sectors named after body parts, has strange inhuman dezians, impossible structures, you have to get medicine to survive while trying to save other people who are told by an oracle to die that night,and is all at once intriguing and stressful. Certainly not for everyone, but those who find the appeal may love it. There is a remake of the game coming out in 2018/2019, but the remake is supposed to be drastically different and more of a reimagining of this game.

(part 2 in the next post)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
(part 1 in the post above)

Penumbra Collector's Pack - $1.49

By Frictional Games, the creators of Amnesia & SOMA, comes Penumbra, which honestly is my personal favorite game(s) of theirs. Penumbra is a series of 2.5 games (there's two games and then a puzzle-based expansion for the second game) featuring the sort of hide'n'sneak horror stuff with puzzles you'd expect, though the Penumbra games actually do have combat, albeit it's very hard to kill things. What makes Penumbra stand out to me is the setting, story, characters, and pacing compared to Amnesia and SOMA. It's a lot more video game-esque than either Amnesia or SOMA, but I think this works to their benefit. There's more distinct locations, more varied situations, and I think sprinkled with some stellar moments. It's designed so you're kind of in one 'hub maze' at a time, with multiple doors that lead to different rooms with different goals. You will eventually progress and make your way to the next main area. All while this happens there's a story that developers. In all three games you have a character who talks to you, though the character is different in all three. My personal favorite being the character who you spend time with in the second game... But despite a few challenging or overtly cryptic parts, I think the atmosphere and tasks manage to be engaging, and with the better pacing and willingness to be a video game they crafted a memorable horror experience. If you liked either Amnesia or SOMA and don't mind something a bit older and more like a video game, this is definitely worth checking out.

Pony Island - $1.67

You're playing an arcade game that was made by the Devil. You have to break into the Devil's broken game code to progress in parts, all while he is making changes to the game for you to enjoy. It's a very meta game, and one completely worth experiencing. Lot of surprises in store.

Quadrant - $0.99

Now I liked this game more than most, so I'm going to voice my personal opinion that's against the sort of mixed reception this game has. The game is a three-episode sci-fi horror game that kind of reminds of Penumbra, but set in an abandoned government facility where things have gone a muck. the game is obviously low-budgeted in places, and there's a few areas that are a bit buggy or sparse, but I actually really liked my time with the game. There's some surprising variety in what you actually do in the game, and I found the locations mostly fun to explore with some nice atmosphere. The story is nice, and then jumps off the rails towards the end but in a way I could appreciate. It's a bit slow, has good sound design, and I enjoyed the twists, turns, and developments the gameplay got over time. This game has some mixed reception, but I just want to throw out there I actually enjoyed it pretty well. It's got a few rough spots, but I think it makes up for them in a few moments it shines too and the simple variety in what happens even if it's a bit on the slower side.

Rusty Lake Bundle - $2.11 (cheaper individually)

I'm cheating a bit putting these two together, but I digress. These are strange point'n'click horrors by an author who originally started making free games in a series known as Cube Escape and then started making paid games for the Rusty Lake series (though they have some connections narratively). The games match good and interesting stories and characters in a shared universe within interesting and artistic puzzles. They're basically "locked room" games but with intriguing narratives and art to them. If that's your cup of tea, you'll likely adore this franchise.

Sally Episode One: Strange Neighbors - $2.00

This is actually an episodic game, but only episode 1 is out currently. It's totally worth playing though. It's got a great story being built up, some great music, each episode follows two different times that are related (the past and the present), it's all hand-drawn, is pretty creepy, has plenty of secrets, and being done entirely by one person to boot. I think it has started off incredibly strong, has tons of potential, and hope more people get into it.

Settled - $0.99

A 2D sidescrolling horror adventure. It's not very long, should take someone 30-90 minutes to complete it (depending how much they explore, take on puzzles, etc), and it has a few horror tropes. Why I recommend it is due to three things; the game has some interesting and odd diversions you may not see coming from its main plot, it has a weird atmosphere that's mysterious and just unsettling, and it has an ending you may not see coming but then you go back and realize how much was building up to it. It's an interesting short little experience.

Slender: The Arrival - $2.49

Have you ever wanted to play one of those found footage horror movies in the form of a game? Well here it is. Not like your typical Slender game, and actually is my personal favorite game starring the character or of the type. It's told in a bit more of a 'cinematic' way, but by which I don't mean QTEs or cutscenes but there's a bit of a narrative that follows similarly to a structure you'd see in a found footage horror film, all while mixing together typical Slender gameplay, a more beautiful walking simulator, and a surprising tap into other horror game conventions. The main campaign is only about 2-3 hours, but there's a few bonus stages, and three hidden stages you can find hidden away in the main campaign. I recommend seeking out the hidden levels (or looking up how to get them), as they're without a doubt the best part of the game (and the scariest). Speaking of which, this game can be surprisingly scary at times. There is a stage you do collect 8 pages in, but only a single stage I should mention (well, a second optional stage that's a prettier version of the original game is also available outside of the main story). I liked it though.

Year Walk - $2.99

There's something about this game that just enchants me. It's a adventure game where you solve puzzles, featuring strange entities and stories from Scandinavian legend. The game is mostly atmospheric puzzle solving with a nice art style as you explore some snowy woods. The story is simple but with a lot of depth. However, it all comes together and almost feels like some dark fairytale that's enchanting, mysterious, and quiet all at the same time.

----

May do a post similar to this with games that are above $3 though, next might be $3-6, will see and decide.

Ventara

DarkMaus $3.34 (66% off) Steam Page

Imagine Dark Souls, but top-down with you as a mouse fighting of spiders, rats and other critters. With an artsyle and music the perfectly complements the dark and dangerous mood of the game, the game uses an interesting weapon system to fight the wide array of enemies you'll face. Good thing, too, because this game is HARD.

Wozman23

First, an oldie but a goodie, and it just got a new level:

140 - $1.69 (66% off)

A challenging minimalistic platformer with abstract colorful graphics. Rhythmic awareness is required to overcome obstacles controlled by an energetic, yet melancholic electronic soundtrack.

Soft Body - $5.99 (40% off)
A meditative action game where you control two beautiful, gooey snakes at the same time. In the game, you paint the world with your body, and as you do so, the world changes around you and reveals new obstacles and challenges.

OVIVO - $3.19 (60% off)
A mesmerizing platformer with unusual mechanics where everything is as simple as black and white. The journey in the metaphoric world filled with illusions and hidden messages awaits you!

Seasons after Fall - $7.49 (50% off)
A 2D platform-puzzler game that will let you dive into a captivating universe and explore a land governed by magic and nature.

More known, but I can't praise it enough. It will probably be my GOTY:

Snake Pass - $9.99 (50% off)

Slither, coil and climb your way to the top of Haven Tor in this one of a kind physics based, puzzle platform adventure from award winning independent studio Sumo Digital!

Wichu

I also think the number of players should be used as a measure of the popularity of a game. This is why I have actually used an estimate of the number of players, as provided by SteamSpy API:

My bad, I misread your original post. Yeah, I think you've nailed it then.

I'll recommend this til the day I die.

Deadly Rooms of Death: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder - $2.50 (75% off)

A top down, turn based puzzle game where you play as a knight for hire. Every enemy has predictable AI, and there are hundreds of hours of puzzles. Even more if you buy the other games as DLC.

Ok, so formatting out of the way, this game looks like butt, sounds like butt, has cheesy voice acting with an even cheesier story, but the puzzles are some of the best I've ever played. Great mechanics, great puzzles, and it will last your forever. Especially as there are thousands of user made "Holds", ranging from one floor to 256, which will last you until you die

Yes. Yes. Yes and Yes!

DRoD is one of gaming's greatest delights. Looks like a nightmare, plays like a dream.

May do a post similar to this with games that are above $3 though, next might be $3-6, will see and decide.

Please do! I'm looking for more of these types of games (Horror games and weird stuff like Harvester and Deadly Premonition). Would've never heard of Stories Untold if not for this thread.

Toki Tori 2 75% off - $3.74

The Anti-Metroidvania Two moves. Two. Criminally overlooked.

Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2 Bundle 60% off - $11.99

Grimrock is a wonderful Dungeon Master throwback, Grimrock 2 is a goddamn stone-cold classic.

La-Mulana 67% off - $4.94

La Mulana is EVIL.

La Mulana is made by SADISTIC ASSHOLES.

La Mulana has sick tunes.

La Mulana is a masterpiece.

Lords of Xulima

$7.99 (60% off)

One of the best throwback CRPGs of the last half-decade. Heavy Might and Magic influence. Challenging multi-layered approach to testing your party's resources, and a dangerous world filled with a solid mix of encounters.

Very brutal, sweet music, duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb story though. Like, DUMB dumb.

Pharaoh Rebirth+ - 3.99$ (60% off)

Nice looking action/metroidvania title.

One of my hauls yesterday. Looks neat.

Xanadu Next is on sale at 50%-off ($9.99). Definitely get this if you want tight-knit dungeon crawling with plenty of combat, interesting places, and a more subtle story than usual for a classic Falcom adventure.

^^^

It's very...methodical. Methodical and zen. Alot of the music sounds like this with a good bit that goes eerie waltz time bit too so we are all under the understanding that this isn't Ys.

BUT. It is the sequel to Vagrant Story silly people keep buying monkey's paws to procure from SE (which they shouldn't).

autoduelist

This thread is so perfect for me, it's a shame I'm so broke.

Games I need [but can't afford] from this thread...

Star Crawlers
Voidspire Tactics
Battle Brothers
Bastard Bonds (might have found this by clicking on 'games like this' on another game
DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder
Hydra Slayer
Brigador [wow]

Now I just need some monies!

I'll hopefully pick up one of the cheaper ones later this sale, maybe, I'd like to thank everyone here for helping my wishlist along. Even if i can't play something like Star Crawlers or Battle Brothers, I really enjoy reading reviews and such. Thanks all.

EXMaster

Copy/Pasting my Shump stuff from last time:

header.jpg

Battle Crust
Very old school style traditional shooter (think late 80's early 90's). Vertical R-Type is a good description. On the easy side for a vet, but a good game for beginners/more casual shmup people to check out. Superb FM soundtrack by Hyakutaro Tsukumo (Thunder Force V/Gunhound EX composer).

header_586x192.jpg

Zeno Archives
These two games are more in the bullet hell style sorta, but have some traditional shooter flare. They remind me most of late Toaplan/early Cave works. ZenoHell was released a while back and Zenodyne R is the more recent. Zenodyne R in particular has an also great Genesis/Megadrive style FM soundtrack.

Update: The creators have another game out too - Fire Arrow Plus

header.jpg

Space Moth DX
This is a straight up Bullet Hell style game. It's basically a poor man's Mushihimesama but is pretty decent for what it is. Has a nice ambient soundtrack.

header.jpg

Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo
An interesting game with an ascetic that feels like a combination of Dodonpachi and Cho Ren Sha 68k. Bullet Hell mostly, but somewhat more classic and less intimidating (at least at first) with a rank system that adjusts according to your performance. Lots of unlockables and different paths, endings. Also has an FM soundtrack which is pretty funky and great.

header.jpg

Blue Revolver
Another straight up Bullet Hell, but a bit of more traditional twist in that you can choose a special side weapon in addition to your spam shot and bomb. Also has a rank system and a challenge mode.

So how is the game for an adult? Primarily interested in the Star War levels and some of the Marvel ones. I also read that a group of fans (ex-developers?) are setting up private servers to continue online play. All characters/playsets are unlocked, right?

Sort of standard MMO style quests for the most part. Nothing too intricate. Gameplay is pretty decent, especially as of 3.0.

For the most part, you need to be a big fan of the IPs to enjoy it as an adult. It can be kind of mindless entertainment, but I found it fun enough while playing alone, but it's best when I play with my kids.

BasilZero

Disgaea_PC_Capsule.jpg

Disgaea PC

Highly recommend Disgaea PC.

Its $7.99 during the summer sale, the lowest I've seen it.

I bought my copy last fall at bundle stars for like $8 (after a coupon deal when it was $10).

I'm 94 hours into the game so far. I had clocked 300+ hours on the PS2 version so ya, its highly worth it especially for the price it is now :3.

If you love Strategy RPGs and Anime with some comedy, you will love this game.

Any VN recommendations?

Something similar to ZE series would be nice.

Danganronpa pack is $27 for both 1 and 2 which is a fantastic deal. They are quite similar to ZE.
http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/361/Danganronpa_1__2/

House of Fata Morgana is one of the other recommended ones here, its a phenomenal story but not really similar to ZE other than its a mystery VN.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/303310/The_House_in_Fata_Morgana/

Root Double is a game that was written by one of the OG writers of the Ever7/11 games that were basically prequels to the ZE series and are also very wonderful but unfortunately not on Steam. Long and good.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/438130/Root_Double_Before_Crime__After_Days_Xtend_Edition/

Steins Gate is a fantastic scifish themed VN with an amazing story.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/412830/STEINSGATE/

Other recs are in the thread like Hiru and the others. Steam is chock full of amazing VN's now.

TGMIII

Lovely Planet - £1.62/$2.03 | [URL="http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/2033752/movie480.webm?t=1447362975"]Trailer
|[/URL]
A trials-esk FPS action game. Memorization, precision, speed and execution are key with one of the most deceptively tricky and rewarding FPS games of 2014 accompanied by a fantastic soundtrack from Calum Bowen.

Assault Android Cactus - £5.49/$7.49
| Trailer |
Criminally underlooked twin-stick shooter with a ton of content. 2-4 player co-op, 9 characters with unique primary/secondary weapons, 25 levels, boss rush and more. As rewarding as it is fun to play with an intricate scoring & rank system that will be a challenge for anyone to master. A clear stand out as one of the best in the twin-stick genre and games as a whole.

Megasoum

Banned
I grabbed Hollow Knight and it's not really doing it for me...

Sucks cause I could really got for a good Metroidvania right now but I just don't like the floatiness of the jumping and the way they handle the maps...

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.

Sucks cause I could really got for a good Metroidvania right now but I just don't like the floatiness of the jumping and the way they handle the maps...
image.php

I remember him saying the same thing about it, lol.

Pretty sure I recommended this the last time this thread popped up, so I'll do it again here.

The Swindle - $6.74 USD (55% off)
"The Swindle is a steampunk cybercrime caper about breaking into buildings, hacking their systems, stealing all their cash, and quickly running away again before the police show up."

Currently the reviews are sitting at "mixed" which pains me because it's easily one of my favourite games of the past few years. If you like stealth and platforming I highly recommend you give this one a go.

fenners

Then stop playing, refund it, and find something else.

Izuna

Banned
I bought Sudeki half asleep.

Fuck, the nostalgia.

Game is legit.

I think it was like £2.49, solid RPG. Imho it puts FFXV to shame, it has a certain charm about it.

Aaron

Refund it and get Dead Cells instead. I found it to be a much better Metroidvania.

GHG

Can anyone reccomended metroidvanias that are more vania than metroid?

I already have Hollow Knight and Dead Cells. But Dead Cells is more a rogue like (even though it's fantastic)

RIVE is 50% off - http://store.steampowered.com/app/278100/RIVE_Wreck_Hack_Die_Retry/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

I loved it - http://www.cubed3.com/review/3118/1/rive-pc.html

All of Astroport's games are on sale - http://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=ASTRO PORT
If you like shoot 'em ups, they're all pretty damn good.

Wolflame review - http://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/448160/
Steel Strider - http://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/404100/
Vulkaiser - http://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/349680
Witch-bot Meglilo - http://www.cubed3.com/review/3461/1/witch-bot-meglilo-pc.html
Armed Seven - http://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/349690/
Gigantic Army - http://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/278930

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!
Streets of Fury EX is $2! http://store.steampowered.com/app/350910/?snr=1_5_9__205
This is seriously one of the best beatemups on Steam.
Huge roster of playable characters, tons of moves, incredibly deep & fun combo system, bunch of other content. It's sweet!
Damn right I reviewed it - http://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/350910

The Tale of Alltynex is a package of three shmups.
Three really really good shmups for $10.
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/39160/

kenji

I was thinking on buying Little King's Story, but the comments on the steam page are terrible, some people had game breaking bugs and didn't even finish the game

Guess I won't buy it.. so sad :(

DarkMaus $3.34 (66% off) Steam Page

Imagine Dark Souls, but top-down with you as a mouse fighting of spiders, rats and other critters. With an artsyle and music the perfectly complements the dark and dangerous mood of the game, the game uses an interesting weapon system to fight the wide array of enemies you'll face. Good thing, too, because this game is HARD.

I completely forgot about this game. The price is good too. I might buy it before the sales end.

So as a self-proclaimed horror enthusiast, I'm going to post two things;

-A list of horror games under $3 currently made by NeoGAF'ers (in alphabetical order).

and

-My personal top 25 horror games under $3 (in alphabetical order)..

I won't include GAF'er made games but list them first as I think they should be a separate thing (even if some of them may have ended up in my top 25 otherwise), and for my list keep in mind while I've played a lot of horror games I haven't played all of them (yet), so I won't include things I haven't personally touched. I also will be going just for my personal opinion but try to vocalize who I think the game would be for, but while I think there's some games that may have broader appeal than what I'm going to recommend I'm going to go by my personal thoughts with this one. You might be surprised, but I had to make some tough calls to cut some games out of the top 25, so being clear I'm not saying these aren't the only horror games worth checking out that are $3 or less.

I'll probably do some lists on other days for horror games prices between $3-6, and $7-10 as well before the sale is over. But there's a lot of surprising horror gems even just under $3.

ALL PRICES WILL BE LISTED IN USD ($).

Now with all this said...

GAF'er Made Horror Games Under $3:

Claire - $2.49

DISTRAINT - $0.99

Dungeon Nightmares - $0.89

Malebolgia - $2.59

Red Haze - $1.79

Shutter - $0.99

Silence of the Sleep - $1.69

I will check out each and every one of these.

Vazduh

If you need something to play with your friends (up to 4 player co-op), here's one of better action games out there:

header.jpg

Helldivers - £7.99/$9.99/€9.99 | Trailer

HELLDIVERS™ is a hardcore, cooperative, twin stick shooter from the creators of Magicka. As part of the elite unit called the HELLDIVERS, players must work together to protect SUPER EARTH and defeat the enemies of mankind in an intense intergalactic war.

Top Bottom