• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale '17 Hidden Gems & Under-The-Radar Recommendations thread

Megasoum

Banned
I grabbed Hollow Knight and it's not really doing it for me...

Sucks cause I could really got for a good Metroidvania right now but I just don't like the floatiness of the jumping and the way they handle the maps...

Yeaaaahhhh.... So... About that....

I ended up picking the game back up over the weekend (I refunded it after that original post) and holy shit this is amazing!

The start is a bit slow but once it "click" it's really incredible.

I just got the
RT dash ability
and it feels so good... Looking forward to get the double jump at some point now I imagine.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
My recommendation is Subnautica. One of the best games I've played in recent times. It is perhaps one of the best single player survival games but makes it accessible and fun for everyone with challenge. Great game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/Subnautica/

i'm really interested in this

do you make your own living quarters? how is it with a controller?

im looking for a real chill underwater game

Yeaaaahhhh.... So... About that....

I ended up picking the game back up over the weekend (I refunded it after that original post) and holy shit this is amazing!

The start is a bit slow but once it "click" it's really incredible.

I just got the
RT dash ability
and it feels so good... Looking forward to get the double jump at some point now I imagine.

Weird because I dropped it for pretty much the same reasons. Floaty jump plus random bounce when you hit someone in the air just made the game infuriaing, and the lack of combos made the combat boring. So it's ionteresting that it got better for you.

Megasoum

Banned
Weird because I dropped it for pretty much the same reasons. Floaty jump plus random bounce when you hit someone in the air just made the game infuriaing, and the lack of combos made the combat boring. So it's ionteresting that it got better for you.

Yeah I agree that the jumping is weird and I still get weird jumps that lead to my death for no apparent reasons but anyway, still enjoying it.

Here's a few suggestions for you last minute purchasers:

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten $4.94 (67% off)

An excellent tower defense rpg hybrid with an entertaining story.

ss_3454e709bf7c096ceb8651a1a1ed87a54b0bce15.600x338.jpg

Dungeons of Dredmor Complete $3.49 (50% off)

A fun, quirky turn-based roguelike with a ton of replay value.

ss_d9be6b09534450fc0e80e0a63dc8cc507ff88588.600x338.jpg

King's Bountry: The Legend $1.74 (75% off)

An RPG with tactical turn-based battles where you collect armies of disposable creatures to fight for you. I've spent nearly 80 hours on the first game alone.

ss_fe2793c29393dc77c9db0691b2a460a9472696a4.600x338.jpg

Hexcells Complete Pack $2.69 (70% off)

A set of three logic puzzle games similar to minesweeper.

ss_b6c377bffcd35ac7b9bca15e1724e501fdfcbb9c.600x338.jpg

Subnautica is one of my favorite games in recent memory. And this is from someone who has a bit of a fear of the ocean. This game bordered on terrifying at times, so I wouldn't exactly consider it chill lol

However, yeah, it worked great with a controller and you can build your own underwater base, submarine, etc. I want to get back into again, as I haven't played in a few months.

Hubble

Get it, trust me. It is extremely chill and amazing. During Christmas, I went like 2 weeks straight playing it every morning and advancing. I was really addicted. Without spoilers, something tragic happens and you do build your own quarters and have freedom to do much more cool things and inituitive. The story, the progression of the multitude of items, your decisions, how you can play, etc., is amazing and a mystery unfolds while you play. Even if you do not like survival games, you will with this. It's fun.

I am not sure about a controller. I have no idea but it doesn't seem to be that complicated to play with a controller. I think you will be okay.

I bought this in the sale and so far, it's basically what you're looking for (but with hints of danger here and there--Endless Ocean this ain't). Actually, come to think of it, there are multiple modes, so if you don't want to worry about the survival aspects at all and just want to gather/build things, I'm pretty sure there's a mode for that. Or if you want the survival game but don't want to worry about keeping yourself fed and hydrated, there's a mode for that too.

Haven't gotten that far into the game yet,
just far enough to see the Sunbeam get vaporized
, but it's pretty chill. My major complaint is that it never feels like you have enough inventory space and so spend a lot of time schlepping stuff across the ocean to your multiple outposts (because of course you'll have multiple outposts). But there might be a better solution to that down the line.

Zerbaderb

Neo Member
Reigns

qlpvL9o.jpg

50% off - $1.49

A concept that has been executed simply and brilliantly via a card game. You are a monarch and you go through your reign by selecting one of two cards presented to you offering a choice. Do you increase your military? Converse with Satan? Arrange a marriage with the enemy to create peace? The scenarios are endless and more are unlocked the more you play. The goal is to live as long as you can. An heir dies and inherits a nickname, and an heir takes his place. It's surprisingly deep, funny, and extremely easy to kill time in. I can't recommend it enough. Its Devolver so its got their typical sense of humor.

Re-recommending my only recommendation in the recommendation thread for last minute recommendations.

Fancolors

I'm mad at myself for not remembering earlier this sale, but I recommend A Magical High School Girl

header.jpg

ss_e895bcbb1b70a23971dc0e400688ffe6bb4dcf5b.600x338.jpg

This is essentially a Mystery Dungeon game with a very charming visual style. Not too hard if you are completely new to the genre, but it still maintains the resource management and randomly generated content that makes these games so appealing.

fenners

Dungeons of Dredmor is possibly my favourite "rogue"/"Nethack" game. Quirky, tons to figure out, and the art/humour is bang on.

ViviOggi

"Random" bounce? It's a key combat ability

AcridMeat

Banned
One final one which I still love, Tricky Towers. ($7.49)
header.jpg

It's physics based tetris, building towers. There's a few different gametypes, with different difficulty levels for each, with a mode that will randomize using all variants. Super duper fun with friends (has online support and local up to 4), it was one of my favorite games last year.

edit: Forgot to make this post earlier in the week, but hey maybe someone will pick it up.

Thores

Dynasty Feud (66% off, $5.10)
SF46Oov.jpg

It's basically Smash Bros meets Bushido Blade. Each player starts the match with 5 characters,controlling one at a time. However, each character can only be hit once before they die. So things get pretty hectic, but it's pretty cute and a lot of fun. It's super cheap considering it just came out last month, and there's already a lot of content. 40 playable characters across 8 factions, which you can mix and match in some modes.

The only drawback it that it's exclusively multiplayer for now, so there's no AI to fight against if you're by yourself. But it's definitely worth getting if you have a friend locally or online that likes Smash-inspired fighters. I think it's being unfairly overlooked right now.

I came close to buying Hyper Light Drifter, but I have to ask if it's difficult to make out things in the environment with that art style? I watched videos and I can't tell what's what aside from enemies, so it sort of scared me off.
Damn close to a non issue especially after the 60 fps patch. Attack patterns along with your defensive moves lets you keep full control.

Thud

I came close to buying Hyper Light Drifter, but I have to ask if it's difficult to make out things in the environment with that art style? I watched videos and I can't tell what's what aside from enemies, so it sort of scared me off.

The hardest part is figuring out where you have to go.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
How are the dialogue options in this game?
Paths, character interactions, all that. Is usually wan tinterests me more about this types of games.

Take into account that i'm still at the beginning because i decided to temporarily leave it to work on the backlog, so i'm not really reliable.
It's all really simple and really old school
ss_7907c6843629ddd176228b3ae6fb6065e097a537.600x338.jpg

on the right you can see the arguments you can talk about, on the left the actual conversation, when you have to greet or reply you have 2-3 choices, i read somewhere that depending on what you choose to say(and to do) people may react differently but as i said i'm at the beginning so i don't really know.

There are no quest or path markers IIRC, people give indications and you have to find the way, you can go whereever you want since the beginning.

Top Bottom