• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale '17 Hidden Gems & Under-The-Radar Recommendations thread

Has anyone played Brigador? Mechs and synthwave seems neat, but I have a really hard time getting into roguelikes.
It's not a roguelike. It has an extended campaign with different difficulties that put you in different vehicles, and then freelance missions where you experiment with your own builds to complete objectives

As for your first question
This game is really dope. I've got about 3 hours in and am having a blast.

Definitely feels like a spiritual successor to the old Strike games which I loved.

There's a ridiculous amount of machine, primary and secondary weapon combinations. There feels like negligible to no overlap. You can go MGs to shred, howitzer + long-range rifle to clear terrain before getting accurate...it's just a question of experimenting and going with what works for you. Heavy treads, big leg units, swift AGs, nimble battlesuits and bonsai walkers...all fun to experiment with. Freelance is mechanised Spelunky.

Didn't even know this game existed until I saw this thread pop up yesterday. Took a chance and bought it based off of that alone. So far so good. I've only done the first few campaign missions so still getting a handle on the controls but they seem to be working well. It's a great feeling when you've got your shots lined up just right to splatter the little guys running around on the map. Especially when it's firing off just the one or two rounds of ammunition to do it.

The missions so far are pretty short which works in its favour because it means I can dip in and out at will when I feel like blasting something.

It's a game I didn't even know I wanted. Like, I don't have much experience with isometric shooters. The most I've ever done is messed around with the Postal demo for a while. Looking forward to digging in to it some more.

Had put some time into this before, but started playing it again thanks to the upgrade, and it definitely clicked this time with me. The environmental destruction is so so satisfying. There's nothing more gratifying than shooting a weapon that tears through an entire row of house in a single shot, leaving debris and flying shrapnel in its wake, or unleashing dual machine guns in a sweeping arc that shreds everything

I've been playing it off and on for a while. I haven't booted it up recently, but if they've added anything since I've last played I should give it a shot.

Some of the missions are damn hard. But the game is a lot of fun.

I just got this from the humble bundle.

MAN is this fun. Destructible terrain, stomping on little humans, really great-feeling weapons. This is a great game for any mech or military vehicle fan. Nice music, too!

Got the game gifted to me during the sale by a friend.

LOVE this game. One of those games I've always wanted in my head but never had. Until now, of course. Just so incredibly satisfying to play. Can see myself messing around with this for a good, long while.

On the other hand, I kind of suck at it. I'm midway through the campaign and trying to get through these missions with light vehicles is proving more than I can handle. Even the tried-and-true tactic of hit-and-run requires quite a bit of finesse. I have to admire the skills (and guts) of anyone who can make it work. I want to do it, though. I really want to turn all of those circles into diamonds!

It's criminal that this game isn't being talked about more, frankly. Deserves a whole helluva lot more attention than it has right now. Good stuff.

fertygo

I don't know how to describe it.. but is there another game with addicting loop like Darkest Dungeon or Don't Starve?

I don't know how to describe it.. but is there another game with addicting loop like Darkest Dungeon or Don't Starve?
The real question is what about those games makes them addicting for you? Since they're two very different games, even in how they're actually difficult, so it's hard to narrow down decent similar suggestions

fertygo

Starcrawlers is structured like Darkest Dungeon in a lot of ways.

The real question is what about those games makes them addicting for you? Since they're two very different games, even in how they're actually difficult, so it's hard to narrow down decent similar suggestions
Its hard but maybe like Sinatar said.. its structure that I looking for.. its has gameplay package that structured into looping but manage to not get boring.

I'll look into starcrawler btw.

Fancolors

Handsome Mr Frog, such a fun little arcade romp. Kinda like Super Crate Box meets Bubble Bobble. It's like someone unearthed a lost Taito arcade rom.

Pc5vg1.gif

WCiWRH.gif

E0DN2I.gif

Play it forever for less than a quarter, http://store.steampowered.com/app/508990/Handsome_Mr_Frog/

Got it because it looks fun and is super cheap. Thanks.

Handsome Mr Frog, such a fun little arcade romp. Kinda like Super Crate Box meets Bubble Bobble. It's like someone unearthed a lost Taito arcade rom.

Pc5vg1.gif

WCiWRH.gif

E0DN2I.gif

Play it forever for less than a quarter, http://store.steampowered.com/app/508990/Handsome_Mr_Frog/

RaidersSphere 4th - $5 (75% off)

A story-based PS1/PS2 era-reminiscent Japanese arcade flight sim with copic marker art and a good soundtrack

header.jpg

Both of these look fantastic, thank you!

autoduelist

It's not a roguelike. It has an extended campaign with different difficulties that put you in different vehicles, and then freelance missions where you experiment with your own builds to complete objectives

As for your first question

Does it play well with a controller? Or is it mouse and keyboard? I'm tied to a trackpad, which destroys the fun of games.

Dungeonmans

I made a big thread about it last year, still one of my favorite roguelikes
Don't know why, bust just bought it.

Now I have to choose between:

Alright, I stumbled upon this game during the sale and have had difficulty putting it down:

Emerge: Cities of the Apocalypse ***60% off***

Emerge is a 4X-style game at its core, where you spent every turn improving securing your stronghold from the zombie threat and expanding the safe zone; capture enough tiles and you win. But the zombie threat is ever-expanding and improving, and will periodically infest tiles--move to conquer one and you will transition to a real-time line defense game, where you and whatever AI allies shoot at zombies before they destroy the barricade. The whole thing is also pretty RPG-like, with stats, experience, levels, loot, abilities, and events, that affect both sides of the game. It's just really cool, with a huge campaign (themed maps and challenges, basically), tons of unlockables and different ways to start, and an intense kill-or-be-killed kind of survival gameplay, where easy victories can balloon into long wars of attrition due to poor choices, or just a key loss.

It's a real hidden gem.

I recently came across Low Magic Age.

ss_c1e783b786c9141eb0cd4386fdf8709ca08af221.jpg

D&D styled, turn-based RPG. Currently in Early Access and only the Arena mode is available but combat looks fun and devs are working hard on a singleplayer campaign.

Serrato

Low Magic Age icons, tiles and general feel reminds me of Tales of Maj'Eyal.

Which is one of the biggest and most complete Roguelike I ever played. It's also really hard but not stupid hard.

Bonus points for being 66% off right now.

Mascot

Any good simple old-school arcade clone collections (Space Invaders, Asteroids, Galaga, Battlezone etc)?

Sometime I just want to kick back to basics.

I guess I should just MAME, right..?

emag

Any Steam Sale game recommendations for an Atom-based tablet (32 GB storage, 2 GB RAM), preferably ones that can be easily played with touchscreen or on a small keyboard w/ trackpad? I picked up Fata Morgana and have Undertale loaded up as well.

Drazgul

Any Steam Sale game recommendations for an Atom-based tablet (32 GB storage, 2 GB RAM), preferably ones that can be easily played with touchscreen or on a small keyboard w/ trackpad? I picked up Fata Morgana and have Undertale loaded up as well.

NEO Scavenger is tons of fun if you're into that type of game at all.

Alright hidden gem/card game loving GAF. I'm probably only going to get one (possibly two) of these card games from this sale. Any rec's on which?

Faerie Solitaire

Solitairica

Monster Slayers

Guild of Dungeoneering

Ironclad Tactics

Card City Nights

I'll probably end up getting one of the two Solitaire games and one of the other four. As bad as this sounds, I'm slightly hesitant on getting Card City nights since I swear in past sales it's been as little as $0.99 and now it's like $3. something.

Alright hidden gem/card game loving GAF. I'm probably only going to get one (possibly two) of these card games from this sale. Any rec's on which?

Faerie Solitaire

Solitairica

Monster Slayers

Guild of Dungeoneering

Ironclad Tactics

Card City Nights

I'll probably end up getting one of the two Solitaire games and one of the other four. As bad as this sounds, I'm slightly hesitant on getting Card City nights since I swear in past sales it's been as little as $0.99 and now it's like $3. something.

Faerie Solitaire is amazing.

Brashnir

Faerie Solitaire

Solitairica

Monster Slayers

Guild of Dungeoneering

Ironclad Tactics

Card City Nights

Faeire Solitaire (along with Regency Solitaire and there's another one with a dragon on it) are all good, but kind of samey. Get one and skip the rest.

Solitairica is excellent

Guild of Dungeoneering is OK. You can probably skip it.

Haven't played the others, but I also recently picked up Freecell quest. It's OK. I don't recommend it over Faerie/Regency or Solitairica, despite the fact that regular-ass Freecell is a better game than any of the above.

Megasoum

Banned

Faerie Solitaire

Solitairica

Monster Slayers

Guild of Dungeoneering

Ironclad Tactics

Card City Nights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxg8KCftsIw

Faerie Solitaire

Solitairica

Monster Slayers

Guild of Dungeoneering

Ironclad Tactics

Card City Nights

Also check out Dream Quest if you haven't
http://store.steampowered.com/app/557410/Dream_Quest/

Yes, it looks like ass (although it does grow on you)

But it's so good that the creator of Magic personally reached out to the developer to give him feedback and Blizzard hired him to work on Hearthstone as a senior game designer because the Hearthstone team liked Dream Quest so much

What are you doing to me? I've already had trouble bringing the list down to that, c'mon man.

As for Dream Quest-I've heard it's very good but I REALLY can't seem to get over those graphics. It's why I listed Monster Slayers. It's apparently very reminiscent to Dream Quest but the graphics are more tolerable.
Have you tried the demo? I was the same way and it took me a while to buy it because of the look. But after a few games, I just kind of got over the style and got hooked on the gameplay

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
looking for something

-chill - not too hard or puzzly
-controller / big screen friendly

subnautica looks good, can anyone recommend or suggest something else?

autoduelist

Faerie Solitaire

Solitairica

Monster Slayers

Guild of Dungeoneering

Ironclad Tactics

Card City Nights

I actually quite like Guild of Dungeoneering.

You run a guild, and have limitless 'dungeoneers'. Each class has a different starting deck. As you explore a dungeon, you open chests and beat monsters and such which let you pick a new weapon / armor / etc [a helm, for example, might give you 2 cards... finding a new helm later will make you lose that first helm, but give you different/better cards].

Upgrades back at the guild between games unlocks new cards to find in chests on later runs. Another cool thing about equipping your dungeoneer during a run is that items with similar effects can 'stack'. For example, a helm with 'Fire +1' will give you the set of cards that represent Fire +1. If you then find a sword with 'Fire +2', and have that helm on, you get the set of cards for Fire +3.

You then have a hand and a deck, and can play any card from your hand [usually knowing what the enemy has played]. So a big boss might play a card that does 4 physical damage, and maybe you're lucky and have a 3 shield card, or maybe you're a mage and don't have that, so play a 'heal 2 + draw 2' card, or maybe you just go for a kill. Or an enemy might play a '2 magic damage + 2 magic shield' so you play a '2 physical damage plus 1 bleed damage per turn' card.

There is a lot of variety in monsters and character classes and what you might find in chests in any given run. I eventually burned out on it, but I LOVED It while I was playing and will likely go back.

Dungeons are pretty simple. You 'design' them yourself -- key places [like chests, or bosses] are already on the map in a grid... but you get a couple tiles to chose from every turn and place them on the map [say, a 4 way intersection, or a left turn, etc]. There may be time issues in a dungeon [in 12 turns the boss gets a bonus, etc]. Your dungeoneer moves following a ruleset [always towards treasure!, for example] dependent on their class priorities. Dungeon design is a fairly simple meta-game, but there is some strategy to be found there as you try to maximize your exp, equipment, and some other gameplay elements i won't get into.

I'd highly recommend it overall. It can be quite challenging at times [trying to get a foothold in a dungeon], but also fun if you get lucky and make your character OP.

Oh, and characters do have 'lives'. You have a different adventurer in each class, and they can get various 'permanent' characteristics [that even change over time]. So you generally want them to survive on to the next dungeon. And your guild has lots of things to buy for it, so there's that meta-game too.

The theme is intentionally goofy - you're not knights and samuraii and mages, but things like 'mime' [which iirc, has a deck which likes to mimic the enemy to some degree].

Brashnir

What are you doing to me? I've already had trouble bringing the list down to that, c'mon man.

While that's Regency Solitaire, it's from the same people as Faerie Solitaire, and is in many ways basically the same game. So it's a good approximation of the gameplay, though the theme and art is different.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Has anyone played Brigador? Mechs and synthwave seems neat, but I have a really hard time getting into roguelikes.

I don't know why there's a rogue-like tag on it in Steam, but it's definitely not a rogue-like, and I love rogue-likes/lites.

The game is awesome. Fantastic soundtrack, great lore and fiction, and of course, the combat is stellar. I just about guarantee you'll like it if you like mechs and synthwave.

Alright, I think I'll go ahead and pick up Faerie Solitaire (it's only $.99), Solitairica for sure. Gonna watch some quickplays of Dream Quest, Monster Slayers and Guild of Dungeoneering and decide between those three for the last game. I'll probably be back in this thread a little bit later as I finish up my cart for this sale outside of card games, haha.

Bulzeeb

I am looking for some indie 2d zelda clones, something like AlttP or the Oracle games would be cool, any suggestion?

I am looking for some indie 2d zelda clones, something like AlttP or the Oracle games would be cool, any suggestion?

Anodyne plays like Zelda. It was just OK for me, but I never got around to finishing it.

Non-indie you could go with Landstalker or Beyond Oasis. Both great games if you never played them back in the day.

Top Bottom