• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under Siege |OT| Major patch / relaunch released

Slaylock

IGN Review - 5.5 - http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1176510p1.html

Don’t get me wrong. Under Siege isn’t a bad game. It’s an RTS title with promise, but one that’s just too damn hard and unforgiving. For gamers like me – players with only some RTS experience – you’ll find the price of admittance way too high, the frustration level way too over the top, and the potential for fun gameplay completely destroyed by the fact that there’s no room for error. There’s no ability to grow in Under Siege. It’s not an experience you can ease into. It’s a game that will beat your ass mercilessly until you completely lose the will to play it.

Loudninja

Slaylock said:

Don’t get me wrong. Under Siege isn’t a bad game. It’s an RTS title with promise, but one that’s just too damn hard and unforgiving. For gamers like me – players with only some RTS experience – you’ll find the price of admittance way too high, the frustration level way too over the top, and the potential for fun gameplay completely destroyed by the fact that there’s no room for error. There’s no ability to grow in Under Siege. It’s not an experience you can ease into. It’s a game that will beat your ass mercilessly until you completely lose the will to play it.
Heh it too hard for IGN aww.

Patapwn

Slaylock said:

Reviewer: Colin Moriarty

Agh... I hope for a second opinion. Will not trust anything from this incompetent

Nekrono

Slaylock said:

So basically this guy sucks and gave it a bad score because of it?

I haven't played the game myself but I'm considering buying it soon, seems fun and challenging.

anddo0

Well... The game is quite difficult, even on the easiest settings. I may have to restart myself. The first boss completely decimated my archers. I found it odd that the boss ignored the rest of my troops and continued to charge after my archers, despite being bombarded by my heavy's.

Tizoc

Could someone post a gameplay vid to show what it's like?
I wouldn't mind getting it but I'm not a big fan of RTS and the lack of farming and such intrigues me.

mujun

Metalmurphy said:

If it's by design and that's made obvious, sure, it's stupid to dock the score. If it's just bad design then like any design flaw, it deserves to get docked for it.

F-Pina

Tizoc said:
Could someone post a gameplay vid to show what it's like?
I wouldn't mind getting it but I'm not a big fan of RTS and the lack of farming and such intrigues me.

You can check a normal gameplay session here -> http://youtu.be/khmL32S7ltg?hd=1

As for the cool review we got from IGN we will just ignore it in the same way it was done to Under Siege.
Moving on guys, who is playing the game or have any questions can continue to talk with us instead of discussing others opinions.

We also have a patch incoming that improves the game in many ways -> http://www.undersiegegame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=270&sid=607b8a3183af47560ea88402aa64e5d4

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mujun said:
Are you trying to say that it's unfair to dock a game for being too difficult in a review?

It's true that it is difficult on normal. But it's pretty fine on easy. They clearly didn't give the easy option a try.

IMO adding friendly fire in normal and above was a mistake. Plays much better when your gunner doesn't destroy your own units...

Loudninja

F-Pina said:
You can check a normal gameplay session here -> http://youtu.be/khmL32S7ltg?hd=1

As for the cool review we got from IGN we will just ignore it in the same way it was done to Under Siege.
Moving on guys, who is playing the game or have any questions can continue to talk with us instead of discussing others opinions.

We also have a patch incoming that improves the game in many ways -> http://www.undersiegegame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=270&sid=607b8a3183af47560ea88402aa64e5d4
Wow nice patch.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
F-Pina said:

CHANGE: Player units now only pursuit nearby enemies up to 5 meters from the position order by the player, and return there after either killing the enemy or if they get to far

This is super good. I hate having to chase soldiers with archers in order to keep them within cure range.

F-Pina said:
We also have a patch incoming that improves the game in many ways -> http://www.undersiegegame.com/forum/...a88402aa64e5d4

- ADDED: New option to disable edge scrolling when using the PlayStation Move controller

This one is godsend, my only complaint so far (beginning of chapter 4)

Amazing game, and is not so damn hard like people say, is just fair, if you suck... well, you´ll be sucked "Tak Fuji style"

766304_0.jpg

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
TTP said:
It's true that it is difficult on normal. But it's pretty fine on easy. They clearly didn't give the easy option a try.

IMO adding friendly fire in normal and above was a mistake. Plays much better when your gunner doesn't destroy your own units...
It gives it that Myth flavor (Casualties!)

Hyphen

Slaylock said:

I had been sitting on the fence of this game for a while, as I've never really played many (if any) RTS games. But although the gameplay trailers I'd watched looked a bit underwhelming, I couldn't resist picking this one up via the plus discount. I played it for the first time yesterday, and here's what I think...

I love it. The only thing I don't like is that I don't really know why I'm doing what I'm doing. I understand that there is a wave of unsavoury creatures on the attack, and my group has to stop them. But I would have liked a bit more information on what's happening. Maybe this will happen later on in the game, I don't know, but I'm the kind of gamer that likes to get wrapped up in a good story. But I've just noticed a back story comic is available, so maybe I should read that before I complain... ;o)

But yeah, that's the only real gripe I've come across so far. Other than that, the few levels I've played have teased me into what kind of game this will be, and I'm starting to fall in love with it. I've never been into the 'turn-based' style of game, so everything happening in real time is very pleasing.

I don't recall what level I got too, but it wasn't too far - It was the one where you meet Gunnar for the first time, and have to save him. I'm pretty sure that I had virtually completed the level but I felt a bit bad because one of my soldiers had died thanks to Gunnar's cannon. So I quit, and restarted only for one of my archers to die from a Stinger's spit. I know it wasn't exactly a Pyrrhic victory, but I know I can complete that level without casualties.

I've started on hard, which seems to be the wrong thing to do according to what I've read in this thread. But I normally start my games on the hardest difficulty anyway. We'll see how things progress...

|ync

As others have warned: the game gets really difficult after a few levels. Also there isn't a way to switch difficulties in the middle so if you get stuck you have to start the whole campaign over (I was playing on Normal and decided I didn't want to have to play each map 5 times to beat it once I hit the third area, so I had to start again on Easy and lost a couple hours).

@F-Pina, congrats to you guys for making a fun game, I'm looking forward to your future projects. Two little suggestions though (please ignore if they've already been addressed, the link to the change log you posted doesn't seem to be working)
1. As mentioned above, switching difficulty in the middle of a campaign would be nice :)
2. Why on earth is "New Game" the default option instead of Continue in the Campaign menu?

F-Pina

Thanks guys.
Keep posting feedback, some small changes asked by other users are easy enough to make it into the update, others we have to consider if they make sense.

Please put a demo out for this. Been following this game for a while and I know you guys are a small team and are busy working on patches and stuff but feel you are missing a lot of sales by not putting out a demo. I've become pretty picky about what I get on PSN these days and even though I want to support this I won't pick it up unless I can try it first.

Limanima

I haven't bought the game yet. Shame on me...
Sorry, but I've been working for some time in a XBL indie game and and can't distracted. But this game sure is on my must buy list.

patsu

Does 1.02 include difficulty tuning ? If so, it's what I have been waiting for. ^_^

Love what I played so far btw. Great job. Please do post again once the difficulty has been adjusted.

F-Pina

Guess the cat is out of the bag on the PLUS promotion :)
We will update this very soon with the final update launch and PLUS promotions which will roll out for SCEE territories as well.

Melchiah

Slaylock said:

I completely agree. I got stuck in the 1st fucking mission after the tutorial. Tried changing the difficulty to easy, and still end up getting killed. What makes the matters worse is the long loading times, and the fact you're forced to go through the videos and dialogue on consequent tries.

F-Pina

Sorry to ear you agree with the IGN review.
We collected over 100 reviews to check what were peoples thoughts likes and deslikes on the game and IGNs review is the only one we found where the reviewer does not understand how to play the game. He even forgets to mention our Editor and tools.
Even GAF thought it was wrong here -> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434102

IGN is the only review to give us such a low score. Gamespot and Edge gaves us a 7 but we are guessing they took the time to learn the controls like everyone else.

Regardless we listened to the complaints and patch 1.02 that is coming out makes casual setting even easier, load times are shorter and the dificulty spike in the 1st level is gone to give the player more time to learn the controls.

1 - You can press start to jump cutscenes
2 - Some trophies do not unlock on easy setting

Gaspode_T

Thanks, I honestly at first thought it was a Move only game from the way the text is written...(I don't have a Move controller) they need to be careful about that!

Hard games are good, basically lately my frustration with hard games is where I feel I am not really getting better at a certain section or chances of winning are more like rolling dice than learning the game. It sounds like this one is pretty much building skill which is not a bad thing.

Melchiah

F-Pina said:
Regardless we listened to the complaints and patch 1.02 that is coming out makes casual setting even easier, load times are shorter and the dificulty spike in the 1st level is gone to give the player more time to learn the controls.

1 - You can press start to jump cutscenes
2 - Some trophies do not unlock on easy setting

Great to hear! Will definitely try the game again after the patch.

F-Pina

Starting today Under Siege gets a 30% price cut in all SCEA and SCEE territories.
Available for everyone. SCE Asia is not included in the discounts.

SCEA - 19.99$ -> 13.99$
SCEE - 14.99€ -> 9.99€

Patch is still doing the rounds at QA, it has been tough getting everything we wanted up and running but it will be worth it, specially the extra content for 4 players.

Meanwhile here in Portugal we are launching the Under Siege Art Book on Nov 2nd for all the Portuguese fans. It includes 2d and 3d art from the game, sketches and the 22 page comic launched digitally before the game came out.

capa.png

http://seed-studios.com/undersiege/artbook/pages01.jpg
http://seed-studios.com/undersiege/artbook/pages02.jpg
http://seed-studios.com/undersiege/artbook/pages03.jpg

The comic is in Portuguese but if you still want to have it just to see the art you can order through here -> http://www.mediabooks.com/catalogo/detalhes_produto.php?id=54212

patsu

F-Pina said:
Patch is still doing the rounds at QA, it has been tough getting everything we wanted up and running but it will be worth it, specially the extra content for 4 players.

YESH !!!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Size: 139MB

Patch notes:

- ADDED: Antialiasing in both 720p and 1080p display modes
- ADDED: Players can now continue the campaign from any level they have already finished, instead of only the last
- ADDED: The maximum number of players in local and online play has been increased to 4
- ADDED: New multiplayer maps supporting 4 players
- ADDED: New 2 player cooperative map
- ADDED: New option to disable edge scrolling when using the PlayStation Move controller
- ADDED: Timers and counters in the editor can now be set to visible for specific teams
- ADDED: Additional sound effects in the editor
- ADDED: A lot of new country flags for the player profile

- CHANGE: Player units now only pursue nearby enemies up to 5 meters from the position ordered by the player, and return there after either killing the enemy or if they get too far
- CHANGE: Cooperative maps are unlocked from the start
- CHANGE: Fog of war is now animated and better looking
- CHANGE: Player units in casual difficulty receive less damage
- CHANGE: Players in casual difficulty receive double the gold from killing enemies
- CHANGE: Unit level now affects skill cooldown
- CHANGE: No longer necessary to reassign the navigation controller to slot 1
- CHANGE: Improvements to deadzone handling
- CHANGE: Bigger font for dialog balloons
- CHANGE: General performance improvements and shorter load times
- CHANGE: If a player disconnects during a ranked match, the other player is automatically awarded a win
- CHANGE: Unit balance adjustments
- CHANGE: The first few levels of the game were rebalanced to make the game more accessible to new players

- FIX: Improvements to online performance
- FIX: If the player loses a unit, restarting the level now correctly resets the "Survivalist" trophy

- Several minor adjustments and fixes

On a side note, in order to get the patch out the developers had to temporarily turn off the video chat feature, but they are working with Sony to get the issue around it fixed and will put it back in as soon as possible.

Andrefpvs

Fantastic patch, will try it tomorrow.

Should iron out the quirks some reviewers had with the game as well. Good on you, Seed!

Andrefpvs

6685862853_a02a08b71d_m.jpg

Under Siege – Enhanced Edition Free Update Now Available
Under Siege, our real time strategy game for PSN, is getting a massive update today. We listened to our friends, fans, and critics and took all their opinions very seriously. So we went back and decided to improve Under Siege in every way possible. Today’s free 1.02 update adds the following features:

• Upgrade to 4 players online and local
  • Antialiasing in both 720p and 1080p
  • Players can now continue the campaign from any level they have already finished, instead of only the last
  • The first few levels of the game were rebalanced to make the game more accessible to new players and the casual difficulty was completely redone
  • Cooperative maps are unlocked from the start
  • General performance improvements and shorter load times
  • News feed from the team directly on the Main Menu
    • Additionally, the multiplayer network code had a huge revision and along with it we bring you 4 new multiplayer maps
There’s more; the full update list can be checked on our forums here.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/01/13/under-siege-enhanced-edition-free-update-now-available/

So, Enhanced Edition? That's a pretty good way to market this patch and get people's attention! Well done ;)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So, Enhanced Edition? That's a pretty good way to market this patch and get people's attention! Well done ;)

eheh indeed. The Enchanced Edition logo also shows up in the main menu.

I have the impression AA added some extra tearing / stuttering to the game at 1080p. Not a big deal in this kind of game but still.

Top Bottom