• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under Siege - NEW Videos! (PSN RTS hybrid w/Move support)

Nickiepoo

TTP said:
Just realized you said "without Move" (rather than "with")

*calls optician*

Who cares about DS3 anyway? :p

Actually, yeah, this has made me somewhat interested in Move.

Pylon_Trooper said:
RUSE is a brilliant showcase for console RTS, but it's not quite the conventional high APM style of strategy everyone uses as an argument against the genre on console.

I'm not too worried, I did get on fine with the Halo Wars demo, but I did have trouble adapting to the fact that fast precise micro of single units in a large battle was pretty much impossible (though seemingly not essential in that game, save for annoyances with special abilities). Red Alert 3 and SupCom both 'failed' on consoles because of this, but it seems like it won't be an issue for US.

F-Pina

Well, we really looked into the (at the time) available RTS on consoles to check how did everyone else approached some design problems.

We basically did everything from scratch and all gameplay and design decisions were based on the design of the DualShock. Everything, including size and scale of units and levels, amount of enemies, interface, and even the speed and flow of the game is based on the simple fact that you are on a console with a TV probably sitting on a couch.

And yes TTP, tou can toggle between modes of control.
You can also invert sticks, change size and speed of cursor and some other cool choices.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hdgvaofbMk

UnderSiegeCinematicTrailer.jpg

F-Pina

Hey.
Yes, we kept it as "simple" as possible of not having to get our first current-gen game on mutlti platform. Our team could not have handled it, and we would also split up the community with levels popping up on one console that aren't available on the other etc.
There were also other reasons, but we will get into that after the game is released.

Also, on Saturday we should put online a new bigger and more thorough gameplay video explaining how basic gameplay and interface works etc.

Cheers!

spats

F-Pina said:
Hey.
Yes, we kept it as "simple" as possible of not having to get our first current-gen game on mutlti platform. Our team could not have handled it, and we would also split up the community with levels popping up on one console that aren't available on the other etc.
There were also other reasons, but we will get into that after the game is released.

Also, on Saturday we should put online a new bigger and more thorough gameplay video explaining how basic gameplay and interface works etc.

Cheers!

Cool! Looking forward to it.

Great stuff, F-Pina! I think I can safely say I speak for everyone here when uttering those magic words "Day one". Please let me know if the European release date also includes the forgotten antipodes of Australia/NZ!

F-Pina

Yeap.
PlayStation Store release for Europe includes Australia and New Zealand.
We included all the stores available for SCEE and SCEA.
Not launching in SCEJ territories, we thought it was already too much of a stretch to do it all at once.

For those wondering the game is in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and of course, Portuguese. It was a pain to do it all but it is well worth it.

Here is a nice example we set up to showcase how it looks:

us_languages.jpg

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Thumbs up for the Italian localization. Looks great in those pics.

Did u ask a localization company to do that?

F-Pina

TTP said:
Thumbs up for the Italian localization. Looks great in those pics.
Did u ask a localization company to do that?

Yeap, the good folks at Testronic Labs provided the translation and Q.A. testing etc.

Er... video of online gameplay? We didn't record any of it yet.

Cruzader

Banned
Will probably get this game. Not gonna buy more disk games just PSN titles rest of year.

Dead Nation
Spelunker HD
+this game!

thcsquad

klee123 said:
Some reason why there's a lot of dl games exclusive on XBLA.

God forbid the PS3 to get any exclusives! :lol

I think it's easy to forget how hard it is for small devs with tiny teams and budgets to be multiplatform. There's a reason why most of the great downloadable games (excluding the ones from big publishers like Battlefield 1943) are single platform games.

edit: On topic, I wish I had a Move for this, but I might just play it with Dual Shock until I get a job to pay for a Move setup.

just a question. everything that was once said feature wise are all there. Includes IN-game cutscenes for say making campaigns is in?

F-Pina

Each theme (Mountain, Swamp, etc.) comes with a set of props composed of buildings, rocks, vegetation etc. The props you see in the video are part of the Mountains set.
Don't want to get into details on this without spoiling the game :)

There are more details and preferences about what you can do but we will make more videos of the Editor later on, it is just a matter of time.

One very important detail:
EVERYTHING in the Editor is acessible the moment you open it. You don't have to unlock stuff in the Main Campaign or something like that.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TheGuardian said:
You can use the editor to create cutscenes for your own levels.

Just to clarify, what is referred to as a cutscene in Under Siege?
I guess you refer to 2D characters + text right? Like the one seen in this last gameplay video.

Edit - answered as I was posting

F-Pina said:
Each theme (Mountain, Swamp, etc.) comes with a set of props composed of buildings, rocks, vegetation etc. The props you see in the video are part of the Mountains set.

Do the buildings have a function? Barracks, main base etc.

Would be a damn weird RTS without functional buildings.

Galvanise_ said:
Do the buildings have a function? Barracks, main base etc.

Would be a damn weird RTS without functional buildings.

Under Siege is closer to games like Myth, in that there are no production buildings. You recruit units only in the preparation phase that is usually at the start of the level. Unit upgrades come from leveling the squad with combat experience or training.

Corto

This game is shaping up to be a credible GOTY contender to me! :D Content wise I can't really believe that you guys crammed all those features, with an incredible editor at this price point. And one thing that I always note in every single game play video: a clean streamlined interface. It really shows that you spent much time realizing what could you improve in the control scheme using the characteristics of the console controllers to your advantage. Great job! If the game play delivers you have my vote for GOTY! Ou devo dizer JDA? hehehehehe

TheGuardian said:
Under Siege is closer to games like Myth, in that there are no production buildings. You recruit units only in the preparation phase that is usually at the start of the level. Unit upgrades come from leveling the squad with combat experience or training.

Oh okay. That would explain the relatively small number of units.

I can roll with that.

Corto

Can you tell us something about the length of the single player campaign? Does it have different difficulty levels to choose?

F-Pina

We decided not to talk about the lenght of the campaign.

We measured the number of hours it takes us to finish the game but it really is a lousy indicator because we know the game in and out and pass it very fast.
We tried to check with other people playing but some were very slow and others were fast. Some slow guys would manage to keep passing levels on the first try and quick guys would also loose sometimes too fast and had to repeat the levels.
So it is hard to tell exactly.

Levels are around 15 mins. There are longer levels and some have side quests that you can do or not. You can play in Casual, Normal and Hard.

The interface and controls.
On our first presentation on a showfloor here in Portugal we had around 500 people that played the game. We had an 8 year old kid finishing an easy level without problems and a 60 year old who liked Age of Empires also playing it cool.
Everyone "got it" which was a relief :)

V_Ben

Banned
TheGuardian said:

TheGuardian said:
Under Siege is closer to games like Myth

TheGuardian said:
Closer to games like Myth

TheGuardian said:

All my friend will need to hear when I tell him to buy it :lol

Ettie

Looks like fun. I've never been good at console RTS games... maybe this'll be "the one".

OP compares this to Diablo, what did I not read?

yencid

This looks like a super jam packed game. I am always interested in knowing the answer for this question when it comes to indie developers.

How is you guys relationship with sony? How did the process go? Do you think you would work with them again on PSN? (if this sells well of course)

Two mistakes in the Spanish translation, Info -> Información, Toggles Shield Stance -> Cambia a posición defensiva/Cambia a posición de escudo. Looks like using the Portuguese version as a base would result in less mistakes.

Top Bottom