• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under Siege - NEW Videos! (PSN RTS hybrid w/Move support)

Man said:
MP Pause? Both in competitive and co-op? How much does it count down from?

It's timed in all online modes to prevent players from pausing and then going to walk the dog :p
In single player and split screen you have normal (infinite) pause.

The amount of time is configurable on the lobby options, we have it at 60 seconds right now I think.

Man

Do you have command queuing? (Shift+click in PC RTS games)

Also: That drop effect in StarCraft 2 is great (where you click). If you click multiple times it looks like a digital rain pattern.

Man said:
Do you have command queuing? (Shift+click in PC RTS games)

Also: That drop effect in StarCraft 2 is great (where you click). If you click multiple times it looks like a digital rain pattern.

Not at this time, no. We didn't feel the need for it during play testing, but its something we can add later depending on player feedback.

Man

You need to get in contact with the PS.Blog. Your focusing all your energy on the development it seems and not exposure.

F-Pina

We are a small team, the game right now is more important than exposure.
Exposure is being taken care of but it has to come after the game. Regardless, if the game is done right, it will sell itself (we hope) ;)

was posted in the move thread.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/09/06/under-siege-for-ps3-first-video-playstation-move-details/

Under Siege is a real-time strategy game exclusive to the PS3 and the PSN store.

It includes a juicy single player campaign as well as online and local multiplayer content.

The in-game Editor enables players to create their own maps and share them with the world!

Since in Under Siege every map is made in the Editor, it basically means that any kind of multiplayer mode is possible. Currently, the game will ship with some maps of Deathmatch, Capture Point, Capture Treasure, and Survival. There will be more to come, but these will be a surprise.

You can play multiplayer with up to four players online, and two two locally via split screen. You and your friends can play 1v1, 2v2, 3v1 or four players vs the A.I.

Control scheme specially designed for the DualShock controller

Four players online

Two players split screen

Video and voice chat in game and in the lobby

XMB screenshot and custom music support

Video recording

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Beardz said:

hmm... stupid browsers dealing with fonts all differently. It looks fine in my Firefox, but small in Chrome and Safari. Is there a way to force font size whatever the browser?

Beardz

TTP said:
hmm... stupid browsers dealing with fonts all differently. It looks fine in my Firefox, but small in Chrome and Safari. Is there a way to force font size whatever the browser?

What are you using? pt, px, %? You should use px, something like 13 px

Shurs

This game, along with Dead Nation, Hoard and Pixeljunk Shooter 2 are making for a strong finish to what has otherwise been a yawner of a year on PSN.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Beardz said:
What are you using? pt, px, %? You should use px, something like 13 px

Just using Blogger's "small" option in the editor. In HTML that translates into "font-size: x-small;"
(I'm not an expert)
(and sorry for the derail)

Beardz

TTP said:
Just using Blogger's "small" option in the editor. In HTML that translates into "font-size: x-small;"
(I'm not an expert)
(and sorry for the derail)

change this:

font-size: x-small;

for this:

font-size: 12px;

V_Ben

Banned
Shurs said:
This game, along with Dead Nation, Hoard and Pixeljunk Shooter 2 are making for a strong finish to what has otherwise been a yawner of a year on PSN.

Come now, Yawner isn't quite fair. Joe Danger was fantastic, and there has been a steady stream of decent games for PSN. Perhaps "lackluster" ;)

Shurs

V_Ben said:
Come now, Yawner isn't quite fair. Joe Danger was fantastic, and there has been a steady stream of decent games for PSN. Perhaps "lackluster" ;)

It just doesn't stack up to previous years.

Joe Danger is great.Tumble is also really good, there were some excellent multiplatform games, like (Sam & Max, Lara Croft, etc.)as well, but the amount of really good exclusives seems small this year, though I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of stuff.

On the plus side, Dead Nation is excellent, Hoard is unique and fun -- though I haven't spent a lot of time with it -- and Under Siege looks really promising.

Beardz

TTP said:
Yeah, I need to find a way for that to apply to every blog post.

I'm don't know how blogger works, but I'm sure you don't need to change every post, you just have to change that in the style sheet.

Anyway, back on topic, I can't wait to play this with the ps move. :D

V_Ben

Banned
Shurs said:
It just doesn't stack up to previous years.

Joe Danger is great.Tumble is also really good, there were some excellent multiplatform games, like (Sam & Max, Lara Croft, etc.)as well, but the amount of really good exclusives doesn't compare to the past few years.

On the plus side, Dead Nation is excellent, Hoard is unique and fun -- though I haven't spent a lot of time with it -- and Under Siege looks really promising.

You're certainly right about the exclusive count. It seemed to me that every PSN exclusive game announced this year was announced for release in 2011. The first half of the year was certainly berift of great exclusive PSN titles, and the summer release slate was kinda... dry compared to the summer of arcade.

Come to think of it, even this year's first pixeljunk release was kinda... eeh. So I can see where you're coming from with it not stacking up to previous years' stuff. It all seems kinda loaded towards the end of the year, with all the great stuff coming out soon. Almost as if Sony's big retail releases were all loaded for the first half, and their digital were all ready for winter, rather than being spread out.

Withnail

V_Ben said:
You're certainly right about the exclusive count. It seemed to me that every PSN exclusive game announced this year was announced for release in 2011. The first half of the year was certainly berift of great exclusive PSN titles, and the summer release slate was kinda... dry compared to the summer of arcade.

Come to think of it, even this year's first pixeljunk release was kinda... eeh. So I can see where you're coming from with it not stacking up to previous years' stuff. It all seems kinda loaded towards the end of the year, with all the great stuff coming out soon. Almost as if Sony's big retail releases were all loaded for the first half, and their digital were all ready for winter, rather than being spread out.

Yeah SCE really reduced their PS3 PSN output. I think the only games they've published this year are PJ Racers 2nd Lap and Tumble.

Fortunately we still have Dead Nation and maybe PJ Shooter 2 to come. They probably don't feel the need to do so much now that third parties are releasing titles every week.

Suzzopher

Withnail said:
Yeah SCE really reduced their PS3 PSN output. I think the only games they've published this year are PJ Racers 2nd Lap and Tumble.

Fortunately we still have Dead Nation and maybe PJ Shooter 2 to come. They probably don't feel the need to do so much now that third parties are releasing titles every week.

Do we know how many Sony PSN games are in development?

Withnail

Suzzopher said:
Do we know how many Sony PSN games are in development?

This is getting a bit OT, but off the top of my head I can only think of Journey and Tokyo Jungle.

Wait, I've just remembered Beat Sketchers and Echochrome II as well, I think they're 2010 releases actually. Maybe the 2010 output isn't so bad after all, they're just all condensed into the latter part of the year (basically what V_Ben said).

Tailzo

TTP said:
Let's not forget this is a "retail" game delivered digitally. It includes a Platinum ;)
Does this mean it as meant as a retail release at first, or ill be released as a retail release later (like Pain for example)?

F-Pina

No retail release ever.
It is a Digital game only.

Although we have a "virtual" cover :)

73606_446144820772_84539355772_5979634_6905176_n.jpg

Lain

TTP said:
Launch prices: €14.99/£11.99/$19.99.

It's cool when prices are really reflective of the different markets. 15€ is a great price, I'll buy it (provided I decide to update my PS3 firmware, though).

Corto

PORTUGAL! PORTUGAL! PORTUGAL! :lol :lol :lol

The game is looking great! You need to churn up the marketing machine now... :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Nickiepoo said:
Yeah, nice cover.

Game is looking fairly decent too, loving the inclusion of coop.

How well does it play without Move?

As soon as they send me a copy I'll let you know :p

There is a video tho showing "Move gameplay", but it's not really telling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZvrFqTcBz4

In this interview they describe the controls like this:

Could you describe the control system relative to the PlayStation Move? How does it work during gameplay and within the editor?
Normally in Under Siege, the player controls a 3D cursor around which the camera is centered. You move the left stick and everything follows along.
With the Move, we are more closely replicating a PC experience. The cursor is still 3D and placed on the terrain, but you move it directly pointing at the screen, and the camera is no longer attached to it. To pan the camera, you either push the cursor to the edges of the screen, or use the left stick on the DS3 or navigation controller, like you would the cursor keys on Starcraft for example. We use the Move like a laser pointer, so depending on the player, absolute precision can be difficult, as small hands motions become much bigger when projected onto the screen. That's why we use an alternative mode in the editor. There the cursor is positioned based on the absolute position of the Move from the point of view of the camera, similar to all the painting demos you've seen from Sony. This way you can sculpt and paint the terrain in a more intuitive and precise way, although it's not as fast to move the cursor. We are thinking of having an option to toggle between the two modes in both the editor and the game, depending on the player's preference.

Wonder if they added the option they mention at the end eventually.

Corto

Nickiepoo said:
How well does it play without Move?

Have you read the Edge preview posted above?

EDGE said:
The game began its development before Sony revealed Move, however, and the surprising upshot is that Seed has made the game play just as well, if not better, with the faithful old Dualshock. While R.U.S.E. demonstrated that, with imagination and ingenuity, an RTS can work well on console, Under Siege takes a reductive approach which goes further. Here, it’s difficult to imagine why you would need a mouse in the first place.

Nickiepoo

Nope, missed it. Good to hear though, I like the look of this game, but console RTSs have always been a dubious area for me, control wise since I've played so many on PC.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just realized you said "without Move" (rather than "with")

*calls optician*

Who cares about DS3 anyway? :p

Nickiepoo said:
Nope, missed it. Good to hear though, I like the look of this game, but console RTSs have always been a dubious area for me, control wise since I've played so many on PC.

RUSE is a brilliant showcase for console RTS, but it's not quite the conventional high APM style of strategy everyone uses as an argument against the genre on console.

Top Bottom