• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For the first time ever Xbox 360 tops PS3/Wii in Yearly global sales (14.9/14.1/10.3)

So the Xbox sold 800k more and GAF explodes? I'm trying to understand why such the outpouring of emotions from the 360 fans over this.

Because the Xbox was an unknown name just over a decade ago and is now the best selling console worldwide? Yea, that's some to congratulate if anything.

goldenpp72

Microsoft deserves the success after all the losses and failures they had to deal with last gen (and begging this gen)

if you're going to shame, goddamn it, NAME. lets have the quotes of these 360 owners saying more than 'neat' and we can all have a belly laugh at them.

I'm not trying to start trouble but from reading through the thread there is a lot of snarky sub-trolling going on and I'm wondering why. With this kind of outburst you'd think the 360 passed Wii LTD or something.

I'm not trying to start trouble but from reading through the thread there is a lot of snarky sub-trolling going on and I'm wondering why. With this kind of outburst you'd think the 360 passed Wii LTD or something.

I dont want to get in all the trolling garbage that is in this thread, but I do want to say that it is great that MS had such a great year. They have done such an amazing job of having a varied portfolio that they deserve all the success that they get.

CTE

Post the trolling that you think is going on. Some quotes, I mean. I have no idea who you are talking about.

It looks like the Xbox brand is becoming bigger than Playstation brand, at least in the U.S. I wonder if Microsoft can keep this momentum going into next gen.

Derrick01

Banned
I think the issue here that Sony fans don't really want too or are unable to embrace is that there games just doesn't matter.

MS may have a smaller output but when one game Gears 3 outsells damn near the entire Sony line up combined it says something.

What I'm trying to figure out is how any of that benefits gamers. Celebrating their success with virtually no output for people like us seems weird to me. Like should I be happy that I only played Gears 3 on a 360 last year, just because MS is doing great and casuals are happy? What about my happiness?

Jadedx

Banned
What I'm trying to figure out is how any of that benefits gamers. Celebrating their success with virtually no output for people like us seems weird to me. Like should I be happy that I only played Gears 3 on a 360 last year, just because MS is doing great and casuals are happy? What about my happiness?

See, another stupid post by sonygaf.

I played lots of games on 360. I don't know what the fuck you are talking about, half of the games I bought were exclusive and I bought only 1 kinect game.

Slime

Banned
Xbox has been well on its way to replacing PlayStation as the definitive core gamer brand since 2005, so this was bound to happen at some point. I'm actually just surprised it took this long.

I can see the 360's follow-up being something even more PS2-like given the momentum Microsoft has right now.

It's so weird that people who want more from their console it getting antagonized ITT. Like people have a problem with gamers not satisfied with MSs output.

I played lots of games on 360. I don't know what the fuck you are talking about, half of the games I bought were exclusive and I bought only 1 kinect game.

Wow, yeah, like this.

I don't get whats so amazing and to celebrate finally selling more than your  competition after 6 years?

Whats going to happen next year when everything is back to normal?

I bought a few Kinect games and a bunch of non-Kinect games. People seem to forget all the cool stuff MS have brought to gamers like custom soundtracks, achievements, and cross-game chat, Sony and Nintendo have brought a lot this gen also, but there fans seem to forget MS' contribution for whatever reason.

Lebron

I don't get whats so amazing and to celebrate finally selling more than your  competition after 6 years?

Whats going to happen next year when everything is back to normal?
Yeah, 360 outselling them again won't be anything special. It'll basically be like the NPD threads, same old same.

The worst part is that many of these people are so two-faced. They don't actually own 360s and will complain about Microsoft not catering to them.

Where were they when Microsoft was literally bank-rolling half of the major developer output with games like Lost Odyssey, Blue dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Ninty-Nine Nights, Ninja Gaiden 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Too Human, Crackdown, Grant Theft Auto Lost & Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony?

Where were these people when Microsoft was making development costs as low as $100 and giving free reigns to indie devs with Xbox Live Indies, and giving spotlight to every major XBLA dev by publishing pretty much every game?

Where were these people when Microsoft was pushing developers everywhere to bring there games multiplatform instead of staying exclusive and narrowing the game's appeal. Games like Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4, Ace Combat 5, Virtua Fighter 5, Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5, Final Fantasy XIII?

Some games really took off, some games were flops, some games have become classics over the years. But no one can say that Microsoft didn't try. Microsoft has done A LOT for the core gamer.

Nowadays if even a demo is delayed a little while on PSN, people start claiming it's BS and that the devs suck (just look at the RE6 Demo backlash, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461361&page=3). But it's Microsoft that pushed all this multiplatform behaviour in the first place, otherwise most Japanese devs would be dead in the water. Games like Final Fantasy XIII would've been HUGE flops if not for going multiplatform. But no, then these "core gamer" were hating on Microsoft for "moneyhatting" devs.

I've come to realize that most people claiming how Microsoft has abandoned the core gamer and how much they love Sony for forgoing profits and making the games that they love are just wolves (Sony fanboys) in sheep skin (Core gamer).

Derrick01

Banned

Try again bro. I'm a PC gamer, which is a large reason why the 360 is irrelevant to me. PS3 is there because it actually has more than 1 or 2 exclusives or console exclusives a year that I want to play.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I seriously don't know what's going on in here.

X360 is topping PS3? Erm - so what? Who frigging cares?!

I didn't care when it was being outsold by wii, i don't care now it's ahead. Certainly not enough to debase myself in a thread like this one way or another.

Derrick01

Banned
The worst part is that these people are so two-faced. They don't actually own 360s and will complain about Microsoft not catering to them.

Where were they when Microsoft was literally bank-rolling half of the major developer output with games like Lost Odyssey, Blue dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Ninty-Nine Nights, Ninja Gaiden 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Too Human, Crackdown, Grant Theft Auto Lost & Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony?

Where were these people when Microsoft was making development costs as low as $100 and giving free reigns to indie devs with Xbox Live Indies, and giving spotlight to every major XBLA dev by publishing pretty much every game?

Where were these people when Microsoft was pushing developers everywhere to bring there games multiplatform instead of staying exclusive and narrowing the game's appeal. Games like Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4, Ace Combat 5, Virtua Fighter 5, Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5, Final Fantasy XIII?

Some games really took off, some games were flops, some games have become classics over the years and some games have been flops. But no one can say that Microsoft didn't try. Microsoft has done A LOT for the core gamer.

Nowadays if even a demo is delayed a little while on PSN, people start claiming it's BS and that the devs suck (just look at the RE6 Demo backlash, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461361&page=3). But it's Microsoft that pushed all this multiplatform behaviour in the first place, otherwise most Japanese devs would be dead in the water. Games like Final Fantasy XIII would've been HUGE flops if not for going multiplatform. But no, then these "core gamer" were hating on Microsoft for "moneyhatting" devs.

I've come to realize that most people claiming how Microsoft has abandoned the core gamer and how much they love Sony for forgoing profits and making the games that they love are just wolves (Sony fanboys) in sheep skin (Core gamer).

That's a whole lot of BS that you just wrote. Can you tie everyone's negative MS comments here to 4 years ago, where they say they didn't buy any of those games or complained about moneyhatting?

By the way I was actually playing most of those games 3-4 years ago. It's why I'm pissed at MS now, because they don't do that anymore.

The worst part is that these people are so two-faced. They don't actually own 360s and will complain about Microsoft not catering to them.

Some games really took off, some games were flops, some games have become classics over the years and some games have been flops. But no one can say that Microsoft didn't try. Microsoft has done A LOT for the core gamer.

I didn't actually think it would get this bad in this thread, I mean I know some people can't seem to stand people talking ill about Microsoft but I didn't think it would come to this.

Anyway they did start off the gen hungry, but they've lost that drive since then.

I remember 8 years ago all of my friends thought I was dumb when I was the only owning an xbox when they all owned a PS2. Fortunately this gen, I am able to own all 3 consoles and all of them are great! Well deserved and congrats Microsoft! Hopefully Sony can get it this year.

Aselith

So the Xbox sold 800k more and GAF explodes? I'm trying to understand why such the outpouring of emotions from the 360 fans over this.

Well, there's always the people that are like "whoooo, 360" when 360 tops the NPD's but then someone comes and says "yeah but PS3 sells more worldwide" or people discuss how the 360 is selling more LTD than PS3 based on NPD's and then "but PS3 does better than 360 worldwide so they're going to catch up eventually!" Here's a reason to tell them to sit down and shut the fuck up.

I remember 8 years ago all of my friends thought I was dumb when I was the only owning an xbox when they all owned a PS2. Fortunately this gen, I am able to own all 3 consoles and all of them are great! Well deserved and congrats Microsoft! Hopefully Sony can get it this year.

Your friends were right. Xbox's library was garbage compared to what was coming out on PS2 both qualitatively and quantitatively. There were some good ones for Xbox only no doubt but there were so many more coming for PS2 and just as good or better.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
That's a whole lot of BS that you just wrote. Can you tie everyone's negative MS comments here to 4 years ago, where they say they didn't buy any of those games or complained about moneyhatting?

By the way I was actually playing most of those games 3-4 years ago. It's why I'm pissed at MS now, because they don't do that anymore.

this - i'm unhappy with the direction MS is going now along with a few other things they seem to be doing that really mean that i'm a bit unsure about what to expect this next gen.

I've played handhelds mainly recently, but if i do have time at home it's not really being spent on the X360 anymore. That's not unusual as a cycle through consoles as games come but i'm stunned at just how little time i've put into X360 but the titles that do differentiate the X360 in the last year or so just haven't appealed as much as what is going on elsewhere.

Takao

Banned
The worst part is that many of these people are so two-faced. They don't actually own 360s and will complain about Microsoft not catering to them.

Some games really took off, some games were flops, some games have become classics over the years. But no one can say that Microsoft didn't try. Microsoft has done A LOT for the core gamer.

You have some stones for a junior member.

Ramblin

Banned
I seriously don't know what's going on in here.

X360 is topping PS3? Erm - so what? Who frigging cares?!

I didn't care when it was being outsold by wii, i don't care now it's ahead. Certainly not enough to debase myself in a thread like this one way or another.

image.php

Wait a minute...?

BlazingFalcon

Neo Member

How can you even sleep at night with all the wolves? better get a tinfoil bed.

The Witcher 2....

Isn't this noteworthy in the sense that a huge amount of people believed that once the PS3 passed the 360 in sales (for the couple of months in NPD) that it would be the console to surge ahead and 360 would never catch up? I could probably find the thread, but I'm sure most remember them. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this the 360's biggest year ever and it's so ridiculously late in the generation. They managed to actually reinvent their marketing and widen their appeal amid a cycle. I don't think any other console has managed to be a modest 2nd to propelling itself by the, seemingly, unstoppable force of the system in 1st (in only 1 1/2 territories at that). At this point I don't think it means much in "we're #1!" for them as the momentum and brand becoming more synonymous with "hip", as fleeting as that is.

You know what's BS? Claiming to not care about XBLA cuz they're not "real" games and in the same breath claiming you bought 50 of them....
I had over 50 arcade games by the time I ditched my 360 and I realized that after playing each one once or twice I never touched them again..

You have some stones for a junior member.
You know what takes stones? Saying all this in this thread....
I played video games on my 360 for like 10 hours the entirety of 2011. :/
Because it disappoints me that hardware with software that doesn't target me at all manages to achieve such success. I would've thought larger success = larger target audience
Dude came out and said there weren't many guaranteed good exclusive games coming out this year on PS3. I took offense to that. I don't think you have to be interested in a game to think it's good.

Isn't this noteworthy in the sense that a huge amount of people believed that once the PS3 passed the 360 in sales (for the couple of months in NPD) that it would be the console to surge ahead and 360 would never catch up? I could probably find the thread, but I'm sure most remember them. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this the 360's biggest year ever and it's so ridiculously late in the generation. They managed to actually reinvent their marketing and widen their appeal amid a cycle. I don't think any other console has managed to be a modest 2nd to propelling itself by the, seemingly, unstoppable force of the system in 1st (in only 1 1/2 territories at that). At this point I don't think it means much in "we're #1!" for them as the momentum and brand becoming more synonymous with "hip", as fleeting as that is.

Yeah so many people said that once the PS3 went ahead it would never look back. It really is amazing what MS has done. They have released a ton of hardcore games while also expanding into new markets and making the hardware seem fresh. Hopefully Nintendo and Sony copy all the features that the 360 has had since launch next gen.

Derrick01

Banned
You know what's BS? Claiming to not care about XBLA cuz they're not "real" games and in the same breath claiming you bought 50 of them.

Yeah and I have about 100 indie games on Steam and don't really care for the majority of them either. What's your point?

Played it last May. What about it?

just saying that Microsoft is still making games available on their console that is not available on the PS3. Obviously The Witcher 2 is a pretty big game and it actually looks fantastic on the 360. They still deliver pretty good games and there is not really a need for high profile exlcusives when you have games like Bioshock Infinite, GTA 5, RE6. and cod come out.

apana

I can't believe those Wii sales numbers. LOL at how people were mad at me for predicting a decline for Nintendo last year.

Takao

Banned
You know what takes stones? Saying all this in this thread....

Talk about agendas and double standards...

Momma always warned me about trolls... Oh well, might as well get this in before you're banned.

Agendas and double standards? Really. I bought a 360 to play Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon, and Lost Oddessy. Of that trio, I only ended up liking ToV and since then MS hasn't given a shit about my interests, and as someone who owns a PS3, PSP, 3DS, Wii, and 360 the one who doesn't cater to my interests is the one that's going to get played least. Instead of using their expanded audience to make a new Banjo Kazooie, or Viva Pinata, like I asked, MS has Rare running around making shitty mini-game sports collections because evidentially mascot platformers aren't mainstream enough. But of course my opinion doesn't matter because I'm a worthless Sonybot who just says he owns hardware when he really doesn...

IYDej.jpg

I removed my posts and replaced them with Zero losing his shit because I grew tired of having to argue why I didn't like the direction MS is in. I grew tired of people saying that somehow I liked games with art for pedophiles. I was Zero, and I had no clue what I was fighting for.

Try again bro. I'm a PC gamer, which is a large reason why the 360 is irrelevant to me. PS3 is there because it actually has more than 1 or 2 exclusives or console exclusives a year that I want to play.

Then ask yourself, how much is enough? How much content does one need to be satisfied? Seems to me people will bitch just about anything.

squidyj

Momma always warned me about trolls... Oh well, might as well get this in before you're banned.

Agendas and double standards? Really. I bought a 360 to play Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon, and Lost Oddessy. Of that trio, I only ended up liking ToV and since then MS hasn't given a shit about my interests, and as someone who owns a PS3, PSP, 3DS, Wii, and 360 the one who doesn't cater to my interests is the one that's going to get played least. Instead of using their expanded audience to make a new Banjo Kazooie, or Viva Pinata, like I asked, MS has Rare running around making shitty mini-game sports collections because evidentially mascot platformers aren't mainstream enough. But of course my opinion doesn't matter because I'm a worthless Sonybot who just says he owns hardware when he really doesn...

IYDej.jpg

Ewwwwwwwww. Too Human?

Who said that owning a system disqualifies someone from trolling it or being a fanboy of another system?
And I didn't call out a single person in this thread specifically for not owning the system. I believe you own it, I believe that AngelSolider owns it, I also believe that Derrick owned it.
That still doesn't preclude your biases from clogging up the thread.

Takao

Banned
But it's Too Human! I mean... Too Human!

It was like $10 new and I try to support indie Canadian developers, even if it is Silicon Knights and Too Human.

For what it's worth I don't think the game is as bad as its reputation will tell you. That said, I'm not exactly crying over the loss of sequels.

Derrick01

Banned
Then ask yourself, how much is enough? How much content does one need to be satisfied? Seems to me people will bitch just about anything.

There's no set number. If I played 10 exclusives and 9 of them were shitty or really tiny psn titles that weren't very good I would consider that a failure of a year. I'd break 2011 down but that would essentially involve getting into a list war, and I'd rather not do that.

Top Bottom