• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Savor that since there's nothing close to it on Talk That Talk.

Haven't listened to TTT and now I don't want to... perhaps that's a good thing.

nHDXu.gif

Icicle

What is THIS?!

I was obsessed with American Idol Season 3 way back in the day (first season I watched), and fondly remember playing the hell out of the compilation CD. One of its standout tracks was from the 17 year-old girl who got sent home the first week of the finals, Leah LaBelle...

Fast-forward to today and she's signed to a major label and released her first music video last month. She sounds great as ever! This is what pop music sounds like.

98jCF.jpg

Youtube: Leah LaBelle - Sexify

Could she end up being more successful than Fantasia too? Cameo appearances by Pharrell, Jermaine Dupri, and JoJo (guess she's too busy showing up in videos to release her album).

royalan

What is THIS?!

I was obsessed with American Idol Season 3 way back in the day (first season I watched), and fondly remember playing the hell out of the compilation CD. One of its standout tracks was from the 17 year-old girl who got sent home the first week of the finals, Leah LaBelle...

Fast-forward to today and she's signed to a major label and released her first music video last month. She sounds great as ever! This is what pop music sounds like.

98jCF.jpg

Could she end up being more successful than Fantasia too? Cameo appearances by Pharrell and JoJo (guess she's too busy showing up in videos to release her album).

LEAH LABELLE!

I stanned so hard for her in season 3. She was outclassed vocally by the divas that season, but she had such a chill, urban voice. Like Keisha Cole or a young Mary J Blige. Voted off way too early. Glad to see she's doing some things, and the song AIN'T bad.

Just one more reason that Season 3 was the best season when it comes to female contestants.

Trigger

No lie, I am a little embarrassed to own 0304 and Perfectly Clear. =/ I couldn't get into either of them...

At the very least I give her credit for experimenting.

Haven't listened to TTT and now I don't want to... perhaps that's a good thing.

http://i.imgur.com/nHDXu.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

I think [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3HeLs8Yosw]"You Da One"[/url] is the closest she comes to trying to inject some island flavor into the album. It's pretty flaccid.

Icicle

Roy, who was your fave from S3? I stanned so hard for Jasmine Trias. I still would if she were up to SOMETHING with her career.

Trigger

Could she end up being more successful than Fantasia too? Cameo appearances by Pharrell, Jermaine Dupri, and JoJo (guess she's too busy showing up in videos to release her album).

I thought that Leah song was R&B 101 and not in a good way. However this is the more pressing issue: we're my Jojo album?

royalan

It was Fanny.

frxdB.gif

Although, honestly, I think season 3 is the only season where I at least respected all the female vocalists. They were ALL good. Such a flawless season,

I thought that Leah song was R&B 101 and not in a good way. However this is the more pressing issue: we're my Jojo album?

Stuck in litigation hell. Apparently her old label is causing problems...again. I think Kyon has the full tea on this.

Which is a shame, because she's an amazing vocalist. And creative to boot.

"In The Dark" STILL slays me, with its Madonna/Erotica teas...

re: jojo, Oozer posted some tea in the Billboard poll thread:

It's done. But, due to the contract she signed when she was 12, her old label, Blackground, controls it and is refusing to release it at the moment. Nobody knows why. I don't know if they've even told her why. And they are completely, utterly incompetent. Both Timbaland and Toni Braxton sued to get out of their contracts. JoJo threatened to sue, which got Blackground to agree to a deal with Interscope for her next album, but they've decided to fuck around again.

#FreeJoJo

Trigger

How about some Sarah McLachlan music that won't fuck up your day?

lol, those animal cruelty/rescue/whatever commercials really ruined Sarah' best work for me. I can't listen to "Angel" the same.

Stuck in litigation hell. Apparently her old label is causing problems...again. I think Kyon has the full tea on this.

8qvyi.gif

"In The Dark" STILL slays me, with its Madonna/Erotica teas...

But do you How to Touch A Girl?

royalan

re: jojo, Oozer posted some tea in the Billboard poll thread:

Thanks to one of my Eternal faves, the LEGENDARY TEENA MARIE:

3uPUj.jpg

Where are the flaws???

Isn't what Blackground is doing to JoJo illegal?

In 1982, Marie got into a heated legal battle with Motown records over her contract and disagreements about releasing her new material. The scuffle resulted in "The Brockert Initiative", which makes it illegal for a record company to keep an artist under contract without releasing new material for that artist. In such instances, artists are able to sign and release with another label instead of being held back by an unsupportive one. Teena Marie commented on the law in an LA Times article, saying, "It wasn't something I set out to do. I just wanted to get away from Motown and have a good life. But it helped a lot of people, like Luther Vandross and the Mary Jane Girls, and a lot of different artists, to be able to get out of their contracts.

Icicle

frxdB.gif

Although, honestly, I think season 3 is the only season where I at least respected all the female vocalists. They were ALL good. Such a flawless season

I was with you up until you called the whole season flawless. The male talent was a full-blown disaster. But if we just pretend they weren't there (and America did the same with an all-girl Top 4), then we're good.

"In The Dark" STILL slays me, with it's Madonna/Erotica teas...

I think it has something to do with the fact that she's currently got some sort of record deal with three different labels. It's a damn shame, she ought to be a star with all the talent she possesses instead of fighting legal legal battles just to release her music at all.

Aw, totally missed the Christina/feminism discussion on here, and by a long shot. Ah well.

Today I listened to:

- Monster, Lady Gaga
- Girl Gone Wild, Madonna
- Some Nights, Fun. (ie. the revival of Queen)
- Talk That Talk, Rihanna (ironically with my friends in the car)
- Mercy on Me, Christina Aguilera
- Inside Out, Britney Spears (hate the verses but the chorus is rad)
- You and I, Lady Gaga
- I Hate Boys, Christina Aguilera

Icicle

Paging Kyon-sis and all the hot bitches out there...

Paris Hilton's new single is being released on June 23rd! That's just NINE days away! In fact, her entire album is poised to SLAY. Executive produced by Afrojack, collaborations with LMFAO, Snoop Dogg, Flo Rida, and MORE!

Your faves could NEVER be this #FLAWLESS

0eZBQ.gif

Koodo

Banned
Vogue Italia gently spills some tea:

Vogue said:
The Queen of Pop, Madonna, has left the building. Seconds after the last echoes of the closing number, Celebration (which saw Rocco Ritchie dancing with his mother and sister Lourdes) faded out, a couple of luxury cars were seen speeding out of the back of the stage. There would be no encores, no coming back for more, no extra songs to make up for a very late start: Madonna's show leaves nothing to chance or spontaneity.

Everything is meticulously calculated and bears little resemblance to what we would normally call a "concert", including some suspiciously pristine vocals in the middle of very choreography-heavy songs.

The MDNA Tour, like all other Madonna tours, is more akin to musical theatre than music gig. Huge, spectacular, often slightly tacky, obvously expensive, it feels like a very long Glee fantasy sequence crossed with a particularly lavish Eurovision Song Contest performance, with better songs and a lot less humour.

The tracks from her latest album, MDNA, struggle to keep up not only with her earlier material, but also with some of her more recent output: Human Nature and Hung Up seemed to get a far better reception than any of the newer songs, with the possible exception of Girl Gone Wild and Give Me All Your Luvin'. A slowed-down, BDSM-themed re-reading of Like a Virgin drew quite a few hisses and boos from the crowd; elsewhere, honesty paid off, as in the case of a rousing, relatively simple performance of Like a Prayer that had everyone on their feet.

The blame may in fact lay in the poor quality of the sound for anyone not standing directly in front of the stage. The overall feeling was that some of the audience were quite simply left out of the show, which lost most of its punch when viewed from a distance.

And, of course, the controversy, this time in the form of chaste mooning. All somewhat expected from the woman who has been courting controversy for over thirty years, to the point that we have become desensitized to it; and even her tongue-in-cheek, passive-aggressive insertion of Born this Way into Express Yourself only served to remind us of how Lady Gaga's affectionate, generous approach to live performance is her most valuable asset.

Madonna deserves credit for her longevity and staying power, but there is little she can do to tweak her stage persona without losing status. Gaga gets smacked upside the head by a giant bar and soldiers on through the rest of the gig; Madonna sees a flag land on the stage at her feet and kicks it back down. And there, children, lies all the difference in the world.
Source

igNh7qsuMhpcf.gif

Kyon

Banned
Paging Kyon-sis and all the hot bitches out there...

Paris Hilton's new single is being released on June 23rd! That's just NINE days away! In fact, her entire album is poised to SLAY. Executive produced by Afrojack, collaborations with LMFAO, Snoop Dogg, Flo Rida, and MORE!

Your faves could NEVER be this #FLAWLESS

0eZBQ.gif

i am HERE FOR THIS!

Kyon

Banned
So i dont have the ENERGY or CARE in the world but apparently Drake and CB threw bottles @ eachother at a club last night. Then apparently went to twitter right after.... SMH you know what just here i just cant with the mess.

RT @chrisbrown: ****** hiding in the bathroom bitch ass ******!

RT @chrisbrown: And I'm the singer?

RT @karrueche: ****** are weak as fuck.

RT @ManeJay: Omg drake n Chris brown just brawled

RT @jtm_mostwanted: Chris Brown wasn't playing. Rihanna pussy must b crazy

No real receipts were even given tho so..... Still regardless we all know this had everything to do with Rih, if it happened. i dont even want to talk about how stupid this is because it just ends up being the same damn convo everyday.
Idek why Rih stay on those dicks but whatever.

oh and:

ibdxwO2cWrxjqv.png

Aaaaaand:

Loreen confirms the making of music video for "Euphoria"

Loreen on Facebook:
Ok guys. We are editing the Loreenstagram fanvideo right now and will present it soon. To see some of the photos go to http://statigr.am/tag/loreen12p/ We also want to mention that a real music video for Euphoria is in the making. Stay tuned. /Team Loreen
Who's ready?

BTS pic:

556208_488913954469084_1000452841_n.jpg

DMeisterJ

Banned
So i dont have the ENERGY or CARE in the world but apparently Drake and CB threw bottles @ eachother at a club last night. Then apparently went to twitter right after.... SMH you know what just here i just cant with the mess.

No real receipts were even given tho so..... Still regardless we all know this had everything to do with Rih, if it happened. i dont even want to talk about how stupid this is because it just ends up being the same damn convo everyday.
Idek why Rih stay on those dicks but whatever.

This Rih/Chris/Drake #MESS is stupid. I also no longer have the ENERGY to CARE about this shit anymore. That's all I'll say about this subject.

popgaf look what you made me do

pQcSu.jpg

Loreen confirms the making of music video for "Euphoria"

Kyon I can't get over how much I love you...

h5QrI.gif

Also some glamour shots of the girl:

uKX9T.png
TBzA9.png

QAlX6.jpg

Her look was totally different when she competed on Idol 2004:

yI0VM.gif
Tt9ZI.gif

After she won Melodifestivalen and became Sweden's representative to the Eurovision Song Contest, some fans made a video chronicling her time on Idol and Melodifestivalen, "Loreen - från Idol 2004 till Melodifestivalen 2012 till Eurovision Song Contest 2012". The dialogue in the video is in Swedish, obviously, but you can skip around and watch her butcher some American pop classics on Idol!

xxczx

What is THIS?!

98jCF.jpg

haha @ 2:04 #flawless

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
LOL @ that Vogue Italia article. The luxury cars speeding away - very Mr Burns.

Just got back from the Born This Way Ball. GET HYPED.

Hair was fantastic, weird given it's one of those songs of hers I'm not a big fan of - it had a great build. I won't ruin anything of the rest of the show for people.. but Scheiße was fucking epic, and that video we saw before is not at all fair to it. Fuck it was so good! Show had great pacing and it really had more of a knowing sense of humour than the Monster Ball. She's having fun and it shows. And DAT VOICE.

There's something really likeable about Lady Gaga when she's playing live - obviously some of her stage 'banter' is kinda scripted in places but when it's not, is when she shines the most. She was really hilarious at times tonight.. crowd loved her.

I wanna go again. *pout*

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
LOL @ that Vogue Italia article. The luxury cars speeding away - very Mr Burns.

Just got back from the Born This Way Ball. GET HYPED.

Hair was fantastic, weird given it's one of those songs of hers I'm not a big fan of - it had a great build. I won't ruin anything of the rest of the show for people.. but Scheiße was fucking epic, and that video we saw before is not at all fair to it. Fuck it was so good! Show had great pacing and it really had more of a knowing sense of humour than the Monster Ball. She's having fun and it shows. And DAT VOICE.

There's something really likeable about Lady Gaga when she's playing live - obviously some of her stage 'banter' is kinda scripted in places but when it's not, is when she shines the most. She was really hilarious at times tonight.. crowd loved her.

I wanna go again. *pout*

we are going to need some HD video of
of you at
the BTWBall

iTXu2fui6yqz.jpg

Ollie Pooch

Noone needs to see that. I'm sick.

On the plus side
for Phonomezer
I probably infected some little monsters with a cold.

Nemesis_

ANY TIPS or RECOMMENDATIONS JULLS?

Were you in the pit?

>_>

Actually if you weren't, was that a bit shit? The way the stage is shaped makes me think if you're standing and not in the pit that things might be a little bit hard to see or at least less than ideal. My Melbourne show will definitely be outside of the Pit but when I go in Perth it will probably be in it.

Ollie Pooch

ANY TIPS or RECOMMENDATIONS JULLS?

Were you in the pit?

>_>
Nah, no pit for me. Though obviously that'd be the best place to be. If you're not in there, the front centre of the walkway into the crowd is where she was spending most of her time when she wasn't on the main stage. Some songs
LoveGame, Telephone, most of Marry the Night
she was there. The piano was on the right - but really she uses the whole stage from top to bottom. Oh, and the
Kermit suit
makes an appearance.

We could still see most of it pretty well, we were about 4-5 people back from the main circular walkway thing. I'm 5'7 so not exactly tall :p

Ollie Pooch

Didn't hear her say anything like that about new album...

There was a lot of "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH" etc, etc... but nothing about new albums.

On that note my mate interviewed Lady Starlight this week and she mentioned having heard the album in full but obviously wouldn't elaborate. Isn't it out in September or something? Her stage show was... interesting. Some of the music was cool but it was sorta Kate Bush interpretive dance style stuff with weird costumes. Still, she was only on for like 20 minutes.

Nemesis_

Didn't hear her say anything like that about new album...

There was a lot of "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH" etc, etc... but nothing about new albums.

On that note my mate interviewed Lady Starlight this week and she mentioned having heard the album in full but obviously wouldn't elaborate. Isn't it out in September or something? Her stage show was... interesting. Some of the music was cool but it was sorta Kate Bush interpretive dance style stuff with weird costumes. Still, she was only on for like 20 minutes.

Thank fuck. I watched a bit of Starlight and it looked less than interesting. I kind of feel bad for her but oh well, what can you do =P

Nemesis_

Eh... She seemed to be enjoying herself :p

I suppose that's all that matters.

I doubt she would announce stuff about her new album until the end of her Australia leg if she were going to even do such a thing. I am doubtful anything will get announced though to be quite honest.

Trigger

I am loving this Rihanna Telenovela, cant wait for one of those two to get her pregnant and end her career

http://i.minus.com/iPYwu6bfh7gbG.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZU6RZ.gif

I don't want to fathom how much more dramatic the Chris-Rihanna-Drake love triangle could get.

royalan

I am loving this Rihanna Telenovela, cant wait for one of those two to get her pregnant and end her career

iPYwu6bfh7gbG.gif

RIGHT!? As my ghetto-ass cousins would say, "Rihanna must got that Good Gushy Gushy."

Got Chris Brown and Drake sprung and PRESSEDT all damn day! This is embarrassing for them, hilarious for her.

I'm going to need her to stop fucking around with no-names tho. She's ballin' when she's got popular dudes like Bruises and Drake making fools out of themselves for her. But being linked to Meek Mill??

qtSHB.jpg

NOT A GOOD LOOK, RIH!

If I was Rihanna do you know how much A-List celeb diq I'd be getting right now? Rihanna: Channing Tatum! Idris Elba. Not no DAMN Meek Mill and The Game!

I just can't...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom