• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROBOCOP Remake script leaked? "Total Recall seems like a masterpiece compared to it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezbit

Do not want!!

mHy25.gif

Sounds interesting, what's important is how they execute the concepts on the script, will watch and tell GAF how wrong or right they were.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what did anyone expect. robocop was shitty, this will also be shitty.

The problem is that robocop 1 was shitty in the awesomest way possible and this will not be that. this will be sad shitty.

DMczaf

In the film, when Murphy is turned into Robocop 1.0, it's described "a high-tech version of the '80s suit." Then they show a focus group scene where criminals laugh at the design. "He looks like a toy from the '80s!" So they redesign him to look "meaner" as Robocop 2.0, who passes focus group approval. So they not only make sure to include the original design, they also point out it's dated and stupid.

jMgW8.jpg

JJD

Fernando Meireles the guy who directed "City of God" said in an interview to brazilian magazine "Trip" that José Padilha told him that the pre production and filming (starting soon) of the Robocop remake has being the worst experience in his whole life. He said that out of 10 ideas he proposes, 9 are flat out rejected.

If anyone had any doubts this movie is going to suck...

Mobius 1

Fernando Meireles the guy who directed "City of God" said in an interview to brazilian magazine "Trip" that José Padilha told him that the pre production and filming (starting soon) of the Robocop remake has being the worst experience in his whole life. He said that out of 10 ideas he proposes, 9 are flat out rejected.

It's a shame that this is his first big chance in Hollywood, because otherwise he should just quit and tell the studio to put the script where the sun don't shine.

Platy

='(

I hate big studios =/

DMczaf

Hugh Laurie bailed out on the movie last week too.

This is going to be great.

I didn't have much faith in the project, but I still heard good things about the director so I had some hope in that. Sounds like this will be a shitty souless Hollywood PG-13 remake. With maybe an unrated DC to follow that includes crappy CG blood and poorly added swear words.

G-Fex

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=66822#HCi7bhUxl7ttfjaa.99

NEWS

MORE INFO ON LEAKED SCRIPT MAKE THINGS SLIGHTLY CLEARER?

The Robocop script has leaked online, and opinions seem to be mostly positive even though just last month HitFix's Drew McWeeny gave it a thorough bashing. One of the opinions that was most insightful and provides the most detail comes from SHH's Solidus.

Drew said the satire was missing, however Solidus had a completely different view, calling it "very satirical." It was actually a feature in the script that he was "most impressed" with. He also felt as though this remake of Robocop had more similarities with Neill Blomkamp's sleeper hit, District 9. As this Robocop will actually start of quite human and slowly begin to lose his humanity and become more of a machine

ROBOCOP'S UPDATED TECHNOLOGY
He moves quick. At first as Robo 1.0 he is somewhat slow. But he does move fast, he can run up to 30MPH and catch bad guys pretty quick.

Other things, that I love is just the whole integration of wi-fi and how he is connected to everything. This is truly Robocop remade for the modern world, not the 80's.

I have said before I love the virtual evidence world he creates and re-creates a crime as it happens. I love how he is connected to every camera in the city and they are everywhere.

There is also a motorcycle that is made specifically for him, it sounds pretty cool, it connects to him in a way. So he mainly drives his Cruiser motorcycle thing.

ROBOCOP IS A TRANSFORMER?
And people should not worry about the "Transformers" aspect, all that changes is the appearance of the texture of his armor and helmet, nothing more. He has a visor but it is more see through.

Yea the armor just changes to different textures/slight bulkiness. But it makes it sound like in the script in many scenes that it transforms very very quickly. No body changing or arms becoming something else kind of stuff.

He starts out more human, but OCP starts to mess with him and take away his emotions and he becomes very cold like the Robocop we know

G-Fex

There's also massive spoiler on the site that if true sounds not so good and uh..

COMPLETELY Changes a few things.

commedieu

Banned
It means we should let the 80's be the 80's and make movies based on new ideas instead of constant rehashes.

Now, I love the 80's. Can't get enough of them. But I'm not interested in bastardized re-imaginings that completely miss the point.

I couldn't be happier with Total Recall failing. It sets a very, very good precedent.

how bad did total recall fail?

edit:

155,738,069 worldwide so far.

cost 125 million... eh... could be worse right?

Were there projections?

Awesome action throwback remake, or satirical commentary on modern media and society? Which do we want? Why can't I have both?

The original Robocop was already both of those things. Seriously, it had some really interesting social commentary and a very satirical view of the world. While still being wrapped up in an 80's action movie package. It did have its cheesy 80's action moments, make no mistake. But it also had some more intelligible undertones to it as well.

Also, burn this film and hit the reset button. No need to focus on the cutesy foibles of corporate design. Criminal focus groups? Give me my boardroom full of evil executives, fool! Whoever came up with the china joke deserves to have an eye poked with a stick.

Robocop 2 already did the focus group idea, where they reprogrammed him to be more courteous and friendly. This movie also mentions that Robocop becomes metallic blue in the end too. Which was also something that happened in Robocop 2 for some unexplained reason.

Yeah, that's all a retcon. Lol most everything from 2 is a retcon.

Just like how the old man from the first movie became totally evil in part two for no reason. Even though in part one, he wasn't evil at all. He was naive in thinking that his "Delta City" project really would really make Detroit a better place to live. But that did not make him evil.

G-Fex

Robocop 2 already did the focus group idea, where they reprogrammed him to be more courteous and friendly. This movie also mentions that Robocop becomes metallic blue in the end too. Which was also something that happened in Robocop 2 for some unexplained reason. .

Actually I can probably answer this.

My guess is that since Robocop was on a test run during the first movie he wasn't 100 percent finalized and it was more of a 'Beta' test. Then I'm assuming after the first movie's aftermath, they re-do his armor to a more upgraded version.

That and the truth behind the scenes is that the costume designer wanted him to 'shine like a car' in the first movie but due to film deadlines and budget restraints he didn't get him to be all shiny and new as he wanted, he fixed this in the second movie, Robo being so damn shiny he is actually reflective in scenes where you can see the Cameraman.

Busty

Banned
NEWS

MORE INFO ON LEAKED SCRIPT MAKE THINGS SLIGHTLY CLEARER?

Say what you will about Drew McWeeny but unlike 99% of the bloggers out there he can actually read a script and actually dissect it.

I trust his judgement over some anonymous nobody over at the Super Hero Hype forums*. Certain projects just seem to gain 'negative momentum' that is hard to shift and this prpject feels like this is where it's headed.

I recently read and typed up some stuff on Blomkamp's Elysium script a week or so ago here on GAF so I'll see if any of my sources can hook me up with the Robocop script as well.

.., and yes the irony that I am also an anonymous nobody isn't lost on me.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I believe the description I gave it was "Awesome 80's shitfest".

It's a description used only for the best of 80's and even early 90's over-the-top balls-to-the-wall action cheese-fests.

When it comes to the 80's, there's two kinds of shit. There's just godawful shit like 'Troll', 'Mannequin', and 'Garbage Pail Kids: The Movie'.

And then you have fucking awesome shit movies like 'Rocky IV', 'Big Trouble in Little China', and 'Escape From New York'. These aren't good movies in the traditional sense, but they sure are a lot of fun.

No one ever gets the joke in BTiLC no matter who i talk to except for one person in my life. Anyway, Robocop wasnt a cheese fest it was purposefully gory , and had the in your face commercials/media yeah. But its not a low budget pointless fun time , it was a satire/social commentary. Robocop...was perfect , so i guess we shouldnt be surprised because even the perfect sci-fi satire got a sequel.

G-Fex

Well I've scanned through a bit of the actual script and uh...

I'm not going to lie it's a real jumbled mess really.

Honestly IMHO fans of the original will probably be dissapointed.

Here's some HEAVY spoilers

It's HEAVILY family centric, Robocop is heavily emotional seeing as this time they did not wipe out his emotions or clear his memory, he realizes what he is and is angry and emotional and all this and spends most of the movie going on about his family (like Spawn sorta) . He even cries in one scene. This isn't so much a big action movie as it is trying to be Sci-Fi or something.

Oh and there doesn't seem to be any violence...sorry fans of the original. His gun is a TAZER gun and therefore TAZERS a ton of criminals in action sequences. His body is strange that it is blue and looks like a cop uniform and his helmet is see through but when he goes into SWAT Mode he turns into that black suit in the photos and starts TAZERIN THEM CREEPS.

This is just the script though I suppose things will change.

It's HEAVILY family centric, Robocop is heavily emotional seeing as this time they did not wipe out his emotions or clear his memory, he realizes what he is and is angry and emotional and all this and spends most of the movie going on about his family (like Spawn sorta) . He even cries in one scene. This isn't so much a big action movie as it is trying to be Sci-Fi or something.

Oh and there doesn't seem to be any violence...sorry fans of the original. His gun is a TAZER gun and therefore TAZERS a ton of criminals in action sequences. His body is strange that it is blue and looks like a cop uniform and his helmet is see through but when he goes into SWAT Mode he turns into that black suit in the photos and starts TAZERIN THEM CREEPS.

I knew there was something bad going on with his gun from that set photo. Fuck this shit.

G-Fex

AHAHAHAA

Oh my god of that script is the real thing...

best line

Lewis: You don't understand, this isn't Good Cop, Bad cop, this is Bad Cop, Robocop

also my bad I guess they start using
Some Violence later on way into the movie one Robo "Disconnects" himself from control. Cause he's being completely controlled and watched at all times by OMNI CORP

Dafuq? Tazers? Fuck this shit all the way. Do not want.

It seems like they are trying to be a parody of society to try and emulate part of the appeal of the original Robocop but they are doing a poor job of it. To be fair though the whole series has had goofy ass shit like this it's not exactly James Cameron's Terminator.

SJRB

Gold Member
But.. but.. Robocop = violence.

This is rediculous, if true. Unless of course the taser gun makes thugs' heads explode into a fountain of blood or something.

Sapiens

Jesus H Christington Cunt, does that sound horrible.

Robocop holds a place near and dear to my heart. When I was a kid, me and my friend went to see this. Theatres were pretty lax on the whole '18 or over' thing back then. We were running late, and we walked in on the infamous ED209 boardroom scene. We couldn't believe what we were watching on the screen.

This remake sounds like a bad idea.

G-Fex

Finished just about reading the ending

Again heavy spoilers

Gary Oldman's character completely controls Robocop or Murphy along with some chick technician, once Murphy disconnects himself by drilling himself in the head(old movie reference) and taking out the control thing he tries to find out what's going on and who killed him, turns out the company hired this guy to kill him then their own mercenaries to destroy his limbs, he can recreate crimes with his computer and does so and later when he discards his taser gun he uses a 44 magnum to try to fight off a bunch of ED-209's and other military drones.

Like the original movie he gets badly beaten by The ED's but this time rather than the cops firing on him they help him destroy the ED's. Finally he confronts Gary Oldman and kills him. The bad people get put in prison and OMNI Corp execs get thrown in jail. OMNI gets bankrupt til their yes...parent company OCP (with old logo) come in to take over. The Govt steps in to repair Robocop the best they can and he confronts his wife again this time explaining blah blah blah he can't be with her he'll protect her and gives her his blessing to go with the now Male; Jack Lewis. Jack Lewis raises his son and loves his wife while Murphy stays on the streets patroling. And they even give him his own statue

DonMigs85

Wow, he seems even more gentle than TV series Robocop.
And at least that Robocop did get damaged in several violent and creative ways. They even showed his brain in one episode!

G-Fex

Wow, he seems even more gentle than TV series Robocop.
And at least that Robocop did get damaged in several violent and creative ways. They even showed his brain in one episode!

They show his brains, organs and spine in this movie, in some gelatin fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom