• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROBOCOP Remake script leaked? "Total Recall seems like a masterpiece compared to it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GqueB.

Banned
Try as they might, but they will never capture the magic that was in the original movies with remakes.

Not sure they are trying to recapture anything. I imagine this will be more action oriented and less about the satire or the inner robobattle between human and machine.

It doesn't matter how good the director is if the script is dogshit. See Prometheus.

Some scripts aren't too hot on paper, but it's often all about the execution. That and we only have McWeeney's tweets to go by.

I remain optimistic. Padhila doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would attach himself to any old shit for a good paycheck.

apparently yes.

And he marries Murphy's wife.

Such a ripoff of Spawn.

OOqXz.gif

If this is true, this movie sounds horrible.

Xero

While I don't agree with making fun of the old design since I still think it looks great. The fact that this robocop is clearly leaning more towards a satire of the corporations and their environment, I don't see how scenes with focus groups and outsourcing to china are out of place. Don't get me wrong though, this could all be handled terribly, but if someone can nail the tone right I think it can be really great in its own right. Its nice to see they are keeping the whole satire part of the movie, rather then completely ignoring it. I think the bigger focus on how corporations are today is actually a great way to update it actually.

Blader

Some scripts aren't too hot on paper, but it's often all about the execution. That and we only have McWeeney's tweets to go by.

I remain optimistic. Padhila doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would attach himself to any old shit for a good paycheck.

Padhila would hardly be the first example of a successful foreign director having a shitty Hollywood debut.

strobogo

Banned
Every time there is a Robocop thread, there are always some comments like "At least it can't be worse that the 3rd one". This is false. The Prime Directive TV mini series consists of FIVE feature length movies that are worse than the 3rd movie. They are atrocious. Way, way beyond so bad it's good into painful to watch. And there are FUCKING FIVE OF THEM.

Anyone who wants to get excited for the reboot should watch those because just about anything will seem awesome afterwards.

RoboCop is one of those thing's that is defined by the time period it came out. Making it less cheesy or making the special effects all CG would kind of kill the whole point.

RoboCop isn't supposed to be 'good'. It's an awesome 80's shitfest. Like Commando or They Live!.

uh I would not use the words "shit" and "fest" to describe Robocop in any way. there was some smarts and brain behind all the ultra violence.

Suairyu

Banned
I will simply state that, indeed, the original Robocop design would not work in a modern film because people don't expect robots to look that way anymore.

Everything else... well, I'll wait until the film to pass judgement. I'm not exactly "hyped" though.

Zomba13

The Robocop 2.0 thing doesn't sound too bad and they have the 80's one in as fanservice and there is a funny reason to change it which kinda makes sense (the 80's Robocop is pretty damn 80's) but the 4.0 or whatever sounds stupid.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Despite the lack of subtlety in the original, I always end up saying "Robocop is satire" to everyone who has seen the movie and didn't like it, with the response usually being a drawn out "oh". It never dawned on them.
My experience exactly, and same with Starship Troopers. Verhoeven was so good with that sort of thing.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The day they decide to remake Back to the Future is the day I set fire to the Hollywood sign.

as I said with Total Recall, I'm not against the idea of a RoboCop remake, but the problem with these movies is that you don't get the creative directors with vision to get on board, so you end up with mediocre directors and writers who will just piggy back off the old movies instead of REALLY rebooting them.

Platy

Besides the fact that nobody knows if the dude saw the final cript and EVEN if it is, the scenes could be cut in the final movie ...

Outsourcing to China seems in line with the satire of the original really.

The original is also a pretty goofy satire.

This.

Also, they are very minor details that should not take even 20 minutes total from a 2 hour movie.
They are updating the movie to fit today's world.

Also, the person who complained is .... well ... Ain't It Cool News and all =P

Lewis is going to be male? Lewis was one of the few female action movie leads who weren't destined for a romantic plot with the male lead. She was awesome. :(

I actually watched RoboCop last night for the first time in 17 years. I was around 6 when I first saw it and I LOVED it. I was a huge RoboCop fan for a few years after that.

But seriously, how the hell did my mom allow me to watch that as a kid? I seriously was not expecting it to be that profane and violent, holy shit. But it was still amazing.

bud

Every time there is a Robocop thread, there are always some comments like "At least it can't be worse that the 3rd one". This is false. The Prime Directive TV mini series consists of FIVE feature length movies that are worse than the 3rd movie. They are atrocious. Way, way beyond so bad it's good into painful to watch. And there are FUCKING FIVE OF THEM.

Anyone who wants to get excited for the reboot should watch those because just about anything will seem awesome afterwards.

i've seen one of them, i think. the one i saw ended with both robocops, who at that point were more like brocops, walking off into the mist or something like that. they had really funny walks.

I actually watched RoboCop last night for the first time in 17 years. I was around 6 when I first saw it and I LOVED it. I was a huge RoboCop fan for a few years after that.

But seriously, how the hell did my mom allow me to watch that as a kid? I seriously was not expecting it to be that profane and violent, holy shit. But it was still amazing.

it's one of the most violent films i've seen. i don't think it would even pass as an r-rated film nowadays. it's insane.

Lol same here. I saw it when I was 7/8ish once it hit vhs.

Same thing happens with the Alien Franchise. everyone was all "how can any movie be worse than Alien Resurrection" and then we got AvP.

Same here. I chose seeing Robocop 2 on opening day over a trip to Disneyland. As a father of two now...wtf were my patents thinking?

In the film, when Murphy is turned into Robocop 1.0, it's described "a high-tech version of the '80s suit." Then they show a focus group scene where criminals laugh at the design. "He looks like a toy from the '80s!" So they redesign him to look "meaner" as Robocop 2.0, who passes focus group approval. So they not only make sure to include the original design, they also point out it's dated and stupid.

Hold onto your sides for more hilarious "Robocop" details. They outsource his construction to China. #seriously

That actually sounds cool.

And we meet the ED-209s in the field in Iran, where they're used to subdue suicide bombers.

Ahhh... now they just dropped Robocop 3.0 onto an Al Queda training camp to see what he does. "He should be programmed to incapacitate in all scenarios." "Agreed. Let's keep him PG-13, Dr. Norton." No. No. No. No.

Also cool.

By page 54, they are already onto Robocop 4.0, who looks like a "cop on steroids painted metallic blue." Oh, god... oh dear god... Robocop is a Transformer. He goes from "social mode" to "combat mode" and back. Full transformation.

Jumping to conclusions, are we?

It's tough to determine tone on the page, but "satire" seems low on their list of priorities.

Huh?! Everything that was described sounds like a satire of the modern world!

Okay... the two "best" lines in the script. First up is at the unveiling ceremony for Robocop in Detroit, from a TV reporter covering it. "I think it's safe to say that Alex Murphy is now part man, part machine, ALL COP!" Yes, I too remember the original poster, asshat.

Second, after the traumatic first meeting with his father, Alex's son retreats to the apartment of Lewis, Murphy's male partner. The scene ends with the action line "David sits, catatonic, looks at the TV -- MGM REMAKE TBD." It means "to be determined." They haven't decided which of their other movies to plug with that clip.

Someone shows Pope, head of the OCP project, some mock-ups for Robocop action figures. "Are you kidding? I wouldn't buy that for a dollar!"

I'll say this: once the script stops all the winky-winky crap and just starts telling a story, it's not terrible. But it's way too late.If you can get past Robocop The Transformer, there are some interesting action beats. And I'm sure Padilha will direct the hell out of it.

So, Which is it? It's "low on satire" or "winky-winky crap" ?

I'm still looking forward to what Padilha and the cast can do with this movie.

as I said with Total Recall, I'm not against the idea of a RoboCop remake, but the problem with these movies is that you don't get the creative directors with vision to get on board, so you end up with mediocre directors and writers who will just piggy back off the old movies instead of REALLY rebooting them.

Hopefully this at least tries something different. Total Recall remake was awful since it simply diluted the original into a very simple action flick while missing everything that made the original so good. It completely missed the point and didn't really try to do anything unique for itself.

Platy

That actually sounds cool.

Also cool.

Jumping to conclusions, are we?

Huh?! Everything that was described sounds like a satire of the modern world!

So, Which is it? It's "low on satire" or "winky-winky crap" ?

I'm still looking forward to what Padilha and the cast can do with this movie.

This

I have the feeling this thread will be like the Heath ledger Joker thread after the movie releases

So RoboCop fans, is the RoboCop miniseries any good? I see it on Netflix, and want to see how bad RoboCop gets (unfortunately RoboCop 2 is not on Netflix, but 3 is for some fucking reason).

I don't know if this is factual, but I kind of hope it is. In this day and age I would welcome an irregular but funny satire so much more than a serious decent action film.

I didn't see a non-edited, non-censored version of Robocop until I saw it on TV when I was over 18 or something

The version I always watched on VHS as a kid didn't have nearly as much gore

I think my parents may have taped it off network TV or something *shrug*

I didn't see a non-edited, non-censored version of Robocop until I saw it on TV when I was over 18 or something

The version I always watched on VHS as a kid didn't have nearly as much gore

I think my parents may have taped it off network TV or something *shrug*

Movie was still a hard ass R. Didn't think the unrated version added much if memory serves. Murphy's death and the ED209 intro are the only things that I really recall.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood your post.

FLEABttn

Banned
it's one of the most violent films i've seen. i don't think it would even pass as an r-rated film nowadays. it's insane.

Fairly certain that only the director's cut is available on Blu-ray, which is more violent than the theatrical cut.

--//--

The way this remake is described sounds like a satire of Hollywood reboot/remake/sequel culture and how modern day consumerism plays into that. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it. Either way, I am keeping my expectations low.

lupinko

The only good that may come out of this is an actual proper blu-ray remaster of Robocop.

Lionsgate and Studiocanal got off their collective asses to do one for Total Recall (which is fucking amazing, considering how bad the original release was).

Both Blu-ray releases from Sony/MGM and Fox/MGM of Robocop have been awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom