• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's delicious JP mag news

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
dillenger said:
Will most likely be on the quality of Death by Degrees (or worse)

isn`t the sc fighting game team behind the game ?

Bebpo

Banned
What will it take for Square-Enix to say "Whoops, maybe we shouldn't be milking FF and killing the franchise?", will continued lowering of sales of each main installment be enough? Or will they just sit in their money pool from outsourced ports and crap and not care that the FF name isn't what it used to be...

There's a reason why DQ installments sell a lot more, and it's not just because it's slightly more popular.

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
What will it take for Square-Enix to say "Whoops, maybe we shouldn't be milking FF and killing the franchise?", will continued lowering of sales of each main installment be enough?
Not if the remakes/ports keep selling more :( I can't believe how much FFI is selling on the PSP actually.

dillenger said:
snip

Will most likely be on the quality of Death by Degrees (or worse)

sigh...nice artwork, but I cant help think that ps3 or 360 could actually make the game look like the artwork or better...then again it is namco, so they could probably make it look better on wii than those other systems.

Dont have a cluse what to expect out of the gameplay

peace

Jonnyram said:
Not if the remakes/ports keep selling more :( I can't believe how much FFI is selling on the PSP actually.

funny thing is that they are making 3d remakes for the ds and doing the straight ports for the psp...and its actually selling..

peace

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:

Agreed.

I can't believe more people are paying 4000yen for barely decent looking FFI when they can get FFI+II GBA for the same price or cheaper. Not too mention that it's selling more than many original big budget rpgs by other developers :(

nelsonroyale said:
funny thing is that they are making 3d remakes for the ds and doing the straight ports for the psp...and its actually selling..

peace
FF I and II on PSP aren't straight ports, though, they're neither like the NES/MSX version or the WSC/PS1/GBA version.

Bebpo

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
FF I and II on PSP aren't straight ports, though, they're neither like the NES/MSX version or the WSC/PS1/GBA version.

Aren't they basically just ports using an emulator's resize with smoothing filter? From the pics it didn't seem like they actually drew the enemy sprites, but just enlarged and smoothed.

Kreed

That Dragon Quest 9 news is very disappointing. I'm sure the one player mode will be solid but I was looking forward to the online multiplayer mode. Square Enix disappoint WFC fans once again. All that's left is an announcement for no online mode in the FF:CC Wii game.

Now I wonder why they went back to turn based combat in DQ9 if they are abandoning online multiplayer anyway?

Aeana

Kreed said:
Now I wonder why they went back to turn based combat in DQ9 if they are abandoning online multiplayer anyway?

I would place money on the outcry of the loyal fanbase.

duckroll

Bebpo said:
Aren't they basically just ports using an emulator's resize with smoothing filter? From the pics it didn't seem like they actually drew the enemy sprites, but just enlarged and smoothed.

Dude, they're all redrawn. That's why they're ****ING UGLY. :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Bebpo said:
What will it take for Square-Enix to say "Whoops, maybe we shouldn't be milking FF and killing the franchise?", will continued lowering of sales of each main installment be enough? Or will they just sit in their money pool from outsourced ports and crap and not care that the FF name isn't what it used to be...

People keep eating them up. Blame the sheep. Can't blame SE if they keep pumping out retreads if people keep buying them in droves.

There's a reason why DQ installments sell a lot more, and it's not just because it's slightly more popular.

Why?

Bebpo said:
Quite different. Compare a few:
GBA
PSP

Bebpo

Banned
Kintaro said:

Well I'd assume that when you have to wait 2-3 years for a new game in your favorite franchise, it builds up a lot of excitement, which boosts sales. If there's an FF game every other month, it's not going to be so OMG OMG when the next main FF comes out.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Out of curiousity, why is anyone interested in Virtua Quest 2 Soul Calibur Legends?
Depends on the development house. Even if done internally though (and not handed off to Dimps, Tose, etc) we should remember the last two games from the SC team were pretty subpar (Legendia and SC3). Cautious optimism here, it is Scamco after all...

Matix

_dementia said:

Nomura got his hands on FF9 characters again :(

Big whoop, its not like the original character designs were that great anyway (yea I said it). Nomura art style may seem a bit generic, but at least its solid.

Matix said:
Big whoop, its not like the original character designs were that great anyway (yea I said it). Nomura art style may seem a bit generic, but at least its solid.

I agree. Nomura should have just went ahead and gave Kuja a full-on sex change. Lord knows he was already 80% there in FFIX.

And Nomura Zidane looks far better than the original.

Bebpo said:
Well I'd assume that when you have to wait 2-3 years for a new game in your favorite franchise, it builds up a lot of excitement, which boosts sales. If there's an FF game every other month, it's not going to be so OMG OMG when the next main FF comes out.

Main ff is the only real ff though...the other stuff can be mostly discounted...considering each game has a seperate story, system, world etc....except now they are reusing worlds and characters...yeah it is getting a bit scary

peace

Matix said:

About time, people are acting like he redesigned some of the most amazing characters and messed them up. All the characters he's redesigning needed to be redesigned.

xcomp

Wheeliedude said:
What were Famitsu's comments on Ouendan 2?
I wonder why it lost one point...
Quick 20 min translations...

Reviewer 1:
"As with before, the visual impact is stunning. Really captivating. There are no major changes in the basic gameplay so, those who have played the prequel may feel it's a little lacking in content. Quality wise, I have no complaints. Perhaps people who haven't played the prequel will enjoy this more?"

Reviewer 2:
"I am so glad that they've added in a skip feature for the intro parts of the songs. This greatly speeds things up when retrying songs repeatedly after having failed. Even though the contents of the story and their presentation is cheezy, they're still somehow very captivating. The separate stories made especially for VS mode are also good. It would be great if they could make the replay mode more flexible."

Reviewer 3:
"A whole new collection of songs. It's just packed full of hilarious cheerleading episodes. The fun just comes rushing to you. The game's charm is mysterious as before. A plus for keeping all the improvements that were made to the overseas version (EBA) such as the music intro skip feature. If you're asking what else I could want from this game, it would be more songs."

Reviewer 4:
"Catchy songs is one way of bringing fun. Even though this is the sequel, the simple controls will have newcomers addicted right away. As before, it's unique world and addictive gameplay remains captivating. There are no major changes in the system but it's very convenient to be able to skip the intro of the songs amongst other things."

I'm just looking forward to more wacky Ouendan stories and catchy songs :D

xcomp

It's a new title for the "Tantei Shinguuji Mitsuo" detective adventure game series. First title started way back on the Famicom Disc System in 1987 but more titles came out on other systems including mobile phones. This one will have you playing as Shinguuji (I think that's right...) in the town of Kabuki trying to clear himself off the suspects list.

Commands are given from the touch screen and expect lots of dialogue just like all visual novel type games such as Phoenix Wright. DS game will also include 5 recent titles in the series made for the mobile phones.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
xcomp said:
It's a new title for the "Tantei Shinguuji Mitsuo" detective adventure game series. First title started way back on the Famicom Disc System in 1987 but more titles came out on other systems including mobile phones. This one will have you playing as Shinguuji (I think that's right...) in the town of Kabuki trying to clear himself off the suspects list.

Commands are given from the touch screen and expect lots of dialogue just like all visual novel type games such as Phoenix Wright. DS game will also include 5 recent titles in the series made for the mobile phones.

The name is actually read "Jinguuji Saburou"...darn pesky name kanji. But it's a great series, glad to see it back.

Mmmkay

IGN have some more info on that Chunsoft Sound Novel:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/786/786956p1.html
US, May 9, 2007 - Everyone's favorite Japan-only game developer is teaming up with Sega for the revival of a classic genre on the PlayStation 3. First revealed in this week's Famitsu, Chunsoft's Imabikisou is a "sound novel" that promises to be so scary that you'll want to keep your friends close by when playing.

The storyline of Imabikisou revolves around a drug called "Vision" which seems to be responsible for a string of mysterious deaths. The game's main character and heroine, attempting to flee the curse of the drug, travel to a mansion that is believed to be the source of all the problems. There, they get themselves caught up in a mystery involving a strange flower, the Imabikisou of the title.

Imabikisou is being developed by some big names in horror. The game's award-winning scenario staff includes Yukinori Kitajima (Muteki Handicap), Osamu Makino (Sweet Little Baby) and Hajime Katou. The graphic staff includes Haruhiko Shouno as art director, and Ayumu Ino as photography director. Twins Japan (Dororo, Cure, Dragon Head) and Animaroid (Siren 2 for the PS2) are lending their talents for, respectively, filming and visual effects.

Visual effects in a sound novel? Yes, Imabikisou may be officially referred to as a sound novel, but it's a complete visual experience. The game includes a mix of real life and CG footage, along with real time effects. The sound aural side of the game will also get a huge update thanks to the PS3, with Dolby 5.1 support and full voice.

Chunsoft is known for its work in the sound novel genre, which it pioneered with Otogirisou back on the Super Famicom. This was followed by games like Machi and Kamaitachi no Yoru. Although these games never make through Narita, they command a huge following in their home country, selling over 200,000 units with each installment.

That huge fan base will get a taste for the next generation of the sound novel this Fall.

Deft Beck

To summarize, the Famitsu reviewers say it's more of what we expect it to be, plus some of the EBA improvements.

Great to hear.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
neo2046 said:
Gundam Wii

is it just me, or is this game looking better and better. sure ground textures are still crap, but everything else is coming together nicely, especially, that giant spider :D

neo2046

for those who expects any new information of SSB X from the new CoroCoro mag will be disappointed

and Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon 2 for DS

ant1532

Banned
neo2046 said:
for those who expects any new information of SSB X from the new CoroCoro mag will be disappointed
:/

Ah well, thanks though for posting, I'v been wondering about if there was anything new... Guess not :(

creamsugar said:
Holy shit. This game looks better and better!

And Tetra and the Pirate crew are there!!! I was hoping they wouldn't just have a quick cutscene of Link crashing on the Island and thats it.

At first I thought the game looked quite bland but not it's hella shaping up and look real alive!

ant1532

Banned
Does anyone know the character's name next to Link? It was said once I'm sure but I can't remember.

gaflinkql5.gif

He looks like he's going to be pretty important in the game and he looks pretty cool and tingle funny like.

crasylinkzd9.gif

Top Bottom