• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT6 Demo Tuesday 2nd July

The best thing about this demo is that the GTR is no longer a baby car. You can't just push gas without any consequences... i love it.

720p definitely helped. It's a shame they didn't locked down on that resolution. Why on earth they would release something that ugly to the public i'll never know. Now everyone will think about switching resolutions, they will just think the game is broken.

Apparently someone on beyond3d said the game now renders at 1440x1080p instead of 1280x1080p when in 1080p mode. Pretty sure they're just toying with the game engine now to try and find an optimal balance. There's absolutely no way they'd up the resolution like that and intentionally have the game perform worst.

Also they switched from 4xMSAA+TAA to 2xMSAA + MLAA, which explains why I thought the game was overall more blurry.

Niks

Pretty sure they're just toying with the game engine now to try and find an optimal balance. There's absolutely no way they'd up the resolution like that and intentionally have the game perform worst.

Yeah I also think this is the case.
The same applies to replay mode. You can tell there are still some issues to be ironed out.

What are you guys/gals using for transmission? AT or MT? I've been using AT just because the game is already difficult enough for me just braking/accelerating and turns. I can't imagine having to shift gears as well.

Dibbz

What are you guys/gals using for transmission? AT or MT? I've been using AT just because the game is already difficult enough for me just braking/accelerating and turns. I can't imagine having to shift gears as well.

I use manual but for some reason the clutch doesn't seem to be working. I still use it though just for dat feels of shifting :p

Odd because it worked on one of the other events.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

MT with a wheel, but if you're using a controller I can absolutely relate to it being too much to do on the pad. Manual is really the best way to go though; it gives you a lot more fine control.

Manual with all the assists off is the only way to drive, breh (although you're allowed to click ABS up to 1).

Honestly, it's pretty hard going from auto to manual, but you'd be surprised how fast you pick it up. When I try going back to auto now it feels like I'm missing out on something. I wish GT had a manual-with-clutch option like Forza, too. As far as I know you only get a clutch in GT if you're playing with a wheel and pedals, and I just don't have the space, unfortunately.

televator

MT on a controller for me. I learned on GT4 with assists (except ABS) off... in the formula car.

A little crazy, yes. GT5 and GT6 are a lot less forgiving though on high powered cars with traction control off... So for GT5 and 6 I leave traction control on, but I still turn it off on low powered cars and turn it down a couple of levels on high powered cars.

I just can't afford the money and space for a wheel setup...

Hi, I leave you a graphics, physics and sounds comparison between Gran Turismo 5 and Gran Turismo 6 Demo (GT Academy 2013). Is a lap to Grand Valley circuit with the Nissan 370z.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnr6zuCctP8

A greeting.

GT 5 looks sharper. It seems they are using some post process filter for GT 6 that blurs the whole picture.

GT 6 looks significant softer.

I also like the colours better in GT 5 - looks more balanced.

brentech

Hi, I leave you a graphics, physics and sounds comparison between Gran Turismo 5 and Gran Turismo 6 Demo (GT Academy 2013). Is a lap to Grand Valley circuit with the Nissan 370z.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnr6zuCctP8

A greeting.

Yeah, the audio is much improved. The lower end is really turned up. Right at the last corner before the straight, you can really see the suspension change. GT5 the car doesn't look the that minimal bend has any effect on suspension, while in GT6 you can still see some weight transfer.

Those are probably the most positive aspects I take from it. Everything else is just kind of meh...preferences.

ruttyboy

Was reading people's comments on the Grand Canyon rally course and I remembered that back in the day I managed to capture a lap that I did for a GT4: Prologue time trial competition on Eurogamer. I dug it out and it's now my first ever (and probably last) Youtube video!

As I recall I only hit the wall once, you'll see it, and I was quite proud of it at the time as it was up with GT Planet times in more powerful cars...

Anyway, enjoy! Video

televator

Anyway, enjoy! Video

Celica GT-Four...
550x336px-LL-93d4d87c_South-Park-nice.jpeg

Truespeed

The best thing about this demo is that the GTR is no longer a baby car. You can't just push gas without any consequences... i love it.

I was reminded of this when I tried to take a corner to fast and tried to recover. I was surprised to see how uncontrollable the car became as I tried to reign it in as it violently undulated left to right due to the weight transfer. Brought a smile to my face as that's exactly how it should have behaved.

Dead Man

So 1080p is busted to make way for a new lighting model and even at 720p you can't count on a locked 60fps.

The priorities here seem out of whack. Lighting > framerate? Instead of improvements through optimization there is a brand new set of trade-offs.

PD seem to like making pretty cars more than anything else.

Solal

What's the point in being at 1080p if it hits the framerate AND the IQ? Serious question: what are the benefits then?

Is there going to be a GT6 V Forza 5 thread. Bish Pls.

PD has to put a 720p/1080p toggle in the Options Menu if the difference is so noticeable. I use my PS3 as a Blu Ray player just as often as a game console, and there's no way I'm going to keep switching the resolution at an OS level.

GHG

So 1080p is busted to make way for a new lighting model and even at 720p you can't count on a locked 60fps.

The priorities here seem out of whack. Lighting > framerate? Instead of improvements through optimization there is a brand new set of trade-offs.

This the the 1st version of their PS4 game. The PS3 version is the beta basically.

Neo 007

I just love how "active" the weight shifting of the suspension is on the replays in this demo.
Full game will be worth it for me just with this.

Also plenty of time for optimizations and additional features before gold.

The game releases at the end of the year, please stop making silly assumptions.

i

Exactly, we've still got a ways off. I'm very much hoping things will improve by the time the game goes gold.

I really wish PD did some of things Turn 10 did in Forza 4 to improve performance. Things like cutting the back mirror framerate in half, not rendering the interiors of other cars on the track... hell they should just target 720p, drop the car count down to 12, maybe use FXAA instead of MLAA. But i'm no expert so I don't know how much all that would improve the GT6 engine performance to make it worthwhile =P

i
I'm discussing what is known. My silly assumptions so far have been to refer to a marketed demo as a marketed demo, and to comment on the performance trade-offs as they've been detailed by digital foundry.

I'd appreciate if you could stop making my posts out to be fever-dreams and swamp gas. The final product may very well be different, but this is what they put out there so this is at least tangible and worthy of discussion.

I really wish PD did some of things Turn 10 did in Forza 4 to improve performance. Things like cutting the back mirror framerate in half, not rendering the interiors of other cars on the track... hell they should just target 720p, drop the car count down to 12, maybe use FXAA instead of MLAA. But i'm no expert so I don't know how much all that would improve the GT6 engine performance to make it worthwhile =P

If anything the new rear-view mirror seems larger with better animation than before ... 720p would be perfectly acceptable for the final PS3 iteration though provided it was a rocksteady, v-synced 60fps - maybe then they could keep the 16 cars and have more of them provide light sources during the night races.

I'm discussing what is known. My silly assumptions so far have been to refer to a marketed demo as a marketed demo, and to comment on the performance trade-offs as they've been detailed by digital foundry.

I'd appreciate if you could stop making my posts out to be fever-dreams and swamp gas. The final product may very well be different, but this is what they put out there so this is at least tangible and worthy of discussion.

This is what you said "The priorities here seem out of whack. Lighting > framerate?"

I don't think I need to elaborate any further on how silly that comment is. It's also funny how you imply there's no improvements while completely missing how the framerate in 720p is actually better than GT5 and there's no tearing, and that 1080p seing a resolution bump is likely the reason for the worst performance, not lighting.

I knew I wasn't going mad, there are fewer jaggies!

As well as loads more shimmering and stuff but whatever!

Told ya it wasn't heat haze :p

I think on release the graphics will improve and the frame will be under control.

I don't think GT will actually remove features like 1080p or 3D. They were pretty proud of them in GT5.

It's also funny how you imply there's no improvements while completely missing how the framerate is actually better then GT5 and there's no tearing.

Whoa there, I never had to turn GT5 down to 720p for the framerate to be usable in cockpit view. It wasn't a perfect 60 all the time, but it was way better than this.

EDIT - Ah, I getcha.

saladine1

So, back home now and finally got to play.

I must say, there's a pretty substantial difference on all accounts (except sound) between GT5 and the GT6 demo.
The physics are absolutely delightful!
There's so much happening with the car dynamics. I really feel connected to the road. It's as if I'm 'one with the car' whereas GT5 felt rigid, disconnected.
Tyres feel better than before, but still need some more work imo..

Visuals also look better. Much crisper,much sharper than before. I did however get slowdowns and stutters which sucked to be honest.

All in all, i'm very impressed with the handling and visuals. The only thing needed, for me anyway, is some great sound effects. I'm not putting too much hope in this getting fixed for GT6 however which is an absolute shame to say the least...

nib95

Banned

Cockpit frame rate at 1080p is not really acceptable (much better in 720p), but otherwise the frame rate is a great balance in both 1080p and 720p imo. 720p is near enough 60fps always, and at 1080p, the only drops I could see where when you're right up against another car, in a collision, or on the gravel. All moments where a drop in frame rate is a non-issue.

Glad to see the game is looking cleaner. Seems to be less jaggies, less horrid edges, smoother shadows, better telephone and electricity lines, no tearing etc. Overall it's a solid improvement. Nothing drastic, but enough to make the game more enjoyable to play and look at imo. Prefer the new ToD and lighting as well.

All in all, i'm very impressed with the handling and visuals. The only thing needed, for me anyway, is some great sound effects. I'm not putting too much hope in this getting fixed for GT6 however which is an absolute shame to say the least...

Well, we do know that they've been working on the sound. If they aren't in by TGS, then it's safe to say that we should just expect to hear whatever is on display there when the final game is released.

Hopefully gamescom delivers the blowout on the single player mode. I'm really interested in what they've done there. I expect Bathurst to be the new course reveal for that event.

RoKKeR

Very late to the party on this one but just a few things:

-It definitely seems like the graphics are...not great. I see that this is a hotly discussed topic so maybe it's just a demo issue? I'm not a PS3 owner and am just borrowing a friend's for a few weeks, but going back to Forza 4 yesterday showed a lot more difference in visuals between the two than I had expected.

-Is the framerate in the cockpit view 30? It feels incredibly sluggish and weird when driving in first person, but as soon as you take it outside of the car things are smooth again. Maybe it's just me.

-Car physics are fantastic, and for me this is where GT has a leg up on everybody else. It just feels like you are driving a car. The nose dips when you break hard, you can feel the weight of the car shifting through the corners, it's great and plays wonderfully.

ethomaz

Banned
i just played the first time trial a whole bunch of rounds and managed to land on 36.109

that fuckiing 35 mark is killing me

help

how on earth have people actually gotten below 35 fuck me
I did 35.491 easily with a controller... the first turn is the big deal... I will try to manage sub 35 with a wheel soon.

Drake

I actually did pretty good in this demo. Usually I suck at racing sims. I'd be screwed without the line that tells me when to break though.

He is blocking AI when they pass their "final lap" and form forced post-race routine. It is not in-game racing AI.

But nevermind, he got clicks.

Yep, found it suspicious the first time I watched, asked in the comments and he confirmed it. I don't think he was trying to fool/troll anyone though.

Top Bottom