• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 demo kiosks are starting to pop up at Gamestop & Best Buy

Pachimari

Just played for the first time. MAJOR difference is the grip on the controller. Absolutely love the way it feels. overall much better than ps3 controller as it's bigger and the triggers are more like triggers HOWEVER they felt small. When i looked at them they def are a little smaller than they should. I wish the triggers were wider along with the L1 and L2. Sticks could have been a little bigger too but not as big of a deal as the triggers. They still felt good but it was the bigg weakness.

Update on FIFA which was the game I was most interested in trying. I was on the fence and after playing i was happy. The game is like a super high def super clear version of current. Player models also look bigger and everything just looks polished. Could it look better - prb but I was happy with what I saw PLUS the crowd was awesome and I like the ball boy and other guys running around during play. I'll be picking it up def.
You can actually see the ball boys running at the sidelines? Can you also see them throw the ball of is it just the ball being thrown to a player from somewhere off-screen?

Omlagus

Posted this in the Canadian gaming deals thread, but in case someone doesn't frequent there, the demo kiosks have arrived in Canada!

I didn't have a whole lot of time with it, but I played Knack at the Sony Store in Upper Canada Mall, Newmarket.

Game was actually quite fun, so I'm glad I have this pre-ordered. Unfortunately, I didn't really have the time to try out anything else, but the controller felt absolutely incredible. Just feels so good! Like they've improved every aspect of DS3. Really amazing.

So for any other fellow Canucks, check out your local Sony Store. They just set it up today, so I would assume most stores would be doing the same over the next couple of days.

Logash

There's one an hour away from me in NJ. God, I really don't wanna go to jersey... Well less than 3 weeks to go. Imma wait.

Nah, I called up my local Best Buy to ask when they'll have any demo kiosks available.
The store associate told me they won't have any available until launch day(or after, something like that).
That's lame. :(

zedge

Posted this in the Canadian gaming deals thread, but in case someone doesn't frequent there, the demo kiosks have arrived in Canada!

I didn't have a whole lot of time with it, but I played Knack at the Sony Store in Upper Canada Mall, Newmarket.

Game was actually quite fun, so I'm glad I have this pre-ordered. Unfortunately, I didn't really have the time to try out anything else, but the controller felt absolutely incredible. Just feels so good! Like they've improved every aspect of DS3. Really amazing.

So for any other fellow Canucks, check out your local Sony Store. They just set it up today, so I would assume most stores would be doing the same over the next couple of days.

Sony store in Chinook Mall and downtown here in Calgary have the demos. Few days now. The one at chinook is hooked up to the gigantic 25K tv too. Really like the DS4, Only tried Knack, not my type of game so wont comment, looked ok. And Fifa, again not big into sports games. Really just wanted to get my hands on the controller.. Gamestop/EB also had the controllers on sale already.

E-phonk

Banned
Played with a PS4 yesterday for a good 15 minutes. They were "unlocked" ie, you could go in the settings menu's and even a debug menu that I suppose will be hidden in the final version of the OS.

System software version: 1.020.051
HD: 350 GB Free, 413 total

Games installed:
- Assassin's Creed 4: Not impressed. Higher textures but a lot of jaggies/aliasing. Also a game that isn't really good at experiencing for just 5 minutes.
- Knack: looked good, quick load times from menu to game (demo).
- Contrast: looked ok, bit empty maybe. Simple geometrics but it makes it up with it's stylish graphics.

I loved the controller and how snappy the UI was. The games overall didn't impress me - I'm a bit spoiled by playing Beyond: Two Souls this week though, which has graphics almost equally as good and more realistic character models.

So in short:
++ UI - it's fast, beautiful and easy to navigate
++ Controller. It's an improved dualshock that felt really comfortable.
++ Loading times, I'm glad sony seems to make this a priority.
- Graphics of the launchgames on display were not that impressive. The least I would've expected was some more AA.

I'm sure it can render great graphics though, and it's just the typical launch games problem. I was planning to buy somewhere Q3-Q4 2014, and playing around with it justifies my decision.

Ashler

They're starting to hit France as well, played a bit of Knack this morning:

pic said:
593335c5-1538-4e66-ae6c-9e2ac50d8768_zps76c16696.jpg

Tayaya

I know I thought the Sony Store in the Aroura Outlet mall would have one by now.

That outlet store has never really felt like a high-end store to begin with though. People go in there looking for bargains more than they look for the latest and greatest.

The Sony gallery on Michigan Avenue used to be an awesome store back in my Aibo-buying days, but it closed down when they opened the SonyStyle store in Woodfield.... which also closed down. Maybe if we here in Chicago gave Sony's retail efforts a bit more love when they were here we'd have a PS4 kiosk somewhere by now!

Milennia

Not sure if posted yet, but i randomly walked into the menlo park mall in NJ and they had one. They had just got it in.

I wonder how long those PS4s will last, I don't see any ventilation holes in the kiosks

Like almost all demo units (XB1's included) the "Unit" you see is a shell and not the actual console. Console hardware is built into the demo unit and out of sight

There are some demo units where you actually see the unit running it but that's not one of them

Good to see Knack getting positive impressions. Kinda hope Sony partners with retailers and has a promotion where if you buy a PS4 and Knack together you will get a $10 gift card or something. Something to get people to attach that game to their purchase as well.

vcc

I played around with one on sunday. The controller is nice, feels natural. The list of demo games was a bit short. Knack was tight and I could see it being entertaining; for some reason it felt a lot like ratchet and clank to me. Likely the way things broke and some aspects of the design. I wasn't able to try other games because the PS button was broken, stuck, or just inoperative on the demo unit I was playing. It's too bad they didn't have a KZ demo. I think that would grab peoples attention more.

I played around with one on sunday. The controller is nice, feels natural. The list of demo games was a bit short. Knack was tight and I could see it being entertaining; for some reason it felt a lot like ratchet and clank to me. Likely the way things broke and some aspects of the design. I wasn't able to try other games because the PS button was broken, stuck, or just inoperative on the demo unit I was playing. It's too bad they didn't have a KZ demo. I think that would grab peoples attention more.

I'm hoping for a killzone demo with gamestop or bestbuy kiosks

They can demo mature games right?

The Goat

Played at the Sony store. No real PS4 though :/ There is a mock unit, but the controller cable runs into some hidden spot.

Microsoft store only has XB1 on display, in a case. Lame.

Bundy

Banned
Found a PS4 in a German Saturn store today.

There were lots of kids around the booth and they loved Knack. I asked them to start Drive Club, but they said that they had already tested all the games and Knack is the best. ^_^

Controller is awesome, but I expected it to be bigger. On pictures it really looks big compared to DS3, but in real life it is pretty small. It felt very valuable, touch pad is very easy to reach, d-pad is great (much better than expected), face buttons, sticks and triggers are perfect imo. The only thing I didn't like is the shape of L1/R1. All in all very nice controller.

I played Knack for about 10 minutes and I really liked it. This game has its moments graphically, for example some effects are awesome like glassy Knack and all the little metally parts, but it definitely won't blow people away with its visuals. Game runs fluid, no tearing, no frame drops. Aliasing is apparent but undisturbing. The kids loved the graphics, though.

What I really liked was the gameplay: It's like God of War but instead of the focus on combat (combos and stuff) you have much more focus on movement. I played on normal mode. I needed some time to realize that almost everything in the world does damage to Knack and from that point on it was lots of fun. You need to dodge and jump or double jump all the time. If you don't then the enemies will get you with their giant swords and jelly guns. It's much more about reaction than action and I really liked that. Rogue-style hit and run. I'm glad I pre-orderd this game and I played much better than the Kids, by the way. ^_^
FUUUUUUUUUUUU I'm currently in germany.
Have to check the Saturn Shops now :O

Valnen

One of these needs to show up in Sacramento already >.>. Closest one is SF according to experienceplaystation.com.

vcc

I'm hoping for a killzone demo with gamestop or bestbuy kiosks

They can demo mature games right?

I'd presume they could excerpt a 'Teen' version if there was a restriction. I can't find a list of games that were demo's so I can't say for sure.

I'd presume they could excerpt a 'Teen' version if there was a restriction. I can't find a list of games that were demo's so I can't say for sure.

Anyone know if previous killzone games were demoed at retailers and what their rating was?

Brawl96

Just went to the kiosk in NYC. There's only 6 playable demos(contrast, knack, FIFA, super motherload, pinball arcade, and octodad). When I arrived, a 10year old was playing knack for a little. I already pre ordered it so I'll wait until launch to play that, so instead I played contrast. Very interesting indie platformer-puzzle game. Besides a few control hiccups and not the best graphics, I'm very excited to play this game. There was only one ps4 by the way, which was disappointing.

Played it today at the Sony Store. Hardly anybody else there, so I had a good amount of time with it.

Impressions:

- The system and controller both look cooler in person than they do in pictures, the materials represent better to the eye than they do the camera lens, imo. Curiously, I saw an Xbone in person today too, and I was surprised by how much smaller that seems in person that in pictures. I'm a lot less down on that design after seeing it, it's not the goliath compared to the PS4 that it's presented as.

- The ds4 is an upgrade on ds3 for sure, the feel of the analogue sticks is fantastic and the dpad is nice as well. The triggers are better, but not otherworldly or anything. It's a little larger, but not as wide as the Xbone controller; it seems like a good compromise between eastern and western ergonomic needs. It's also very light, like the DS3. I'm not feeling the same orgasmic rapture that some commentators have expressed though; I've been spoiled by the Wii U pro controller, which feels a lot like a more solid version of the same thing. Nothing bad to say about it though, however I am really curious about how the Xbone controller feels now. Microsoft store guys said they'd have demo units in 2 weeks.

- The games in the demo kiosk are totally underwhelming, and not representative of what this baby will be pumping out in the future. After seeing what the PS3 is still capable of putting out in stuff like TLoU, Two Souls or GT6, if you told me that any of those games were on PS3 I would have absolutely believed you, without even questioning it.

- I'm sure if you sit and count triangles Knack comes out ahead of anything the PS3 puts out, but during the subjective experience of playing it that doesn't really come across. The gameplay in the demo was also braindead simple, hopefully there's more to it in the full version. As I was stomping through the city with the camera zoomed out, all kinds of bits moving on my character and cartoony military stuff attacking me I strangely got kind of a Wonderful 101 for dummies vibe. But I have faith that there'll be more to the final game than the demo showed.

- Aside from a couple of things maybe being a little shinier, FIFA was indistinguishable from current gen to me. The other games were all indies, which are not terribly graphics intensive and don't take much advantage of the system.

- Octodad is every bit as hilarious to play in person as it looks. It is super awkward to play, but that's kind of the point. Though I did see another guy who mostly had the controls dialled.

- Contrast was a good choice as the day 1 PS+ replacement for Drive Club. It's got some fun ideas, and frankly will probably be better remembered as a launch action platform entry than Knack will be. I actually was reminded of Pandemonium, the old PS1 platformer, for some reason.

One or two other people there seemed impressed, but I walked away thinking"meh." I know it's not representative of what this thing will actually be like down the line though.

Top Bottom