• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: MS needs to admit the XB1 Kinect is a peripheral, not a pack-in. [Opinion]

jedimike

And yet, MS is not showing any of that "new and different" stuff.

I mostly agree... MS hasn't been able to show consumers why they should spend the extra $100 and Sony has done a good job of showing extra value and being cheaper.

But I do know people who purchased an XB1 just for the fitness app and I've heard people say "Xbox record that" irl when making an amazing basketball shot or other real life feats.

meaning MS is not out of the game... They just need a couple more titanfall esque games and something that consumers will rally around the Kinect for... Like the next 1 vs 100.

Look what Sony did with the Eye. They didn't push it on anyone but released the playroom demo which sold buttloads..

Then that had working Game streaming which allowed you to use the camera and again they sold Buttloads.

Give the people what they want and they will stand in line buy your peripheral.

MS's idea to Force a the Kinect in hopes of developer support was just ass backwards.

Zaptruder

Banned
Given that VR will be our inevitable computing future... MS is holding the right cards for the future - but perhaps a decade too early to really capitalize on it.

If they sell it off in a few years, they'll be kicking themselves in a few more years.

Dead Man

So regarding the whole 'most powerful has never won' thing. Has the most powerful also ever been the cheapest of the major competitors at launch?

So regarding the whole 'most powerful has never won' thing. Has the most powerful also ever been the cheapest of the major competitors at launch?

Pretty sure people talk PS1 versus Saturn as PS1 was cheaper and more powerful

I think Gamecube versus PS2 also works but might be more time between those consoles releases

I've become a voice command junky and at this point I wouldn't be without the voice navigation. Perhaps they could of packed in a cheaper mic only piece of kit instead, I don't know. To add, I've had a few funny moments on Skype video with friends before games, and the Kinect stuff I played -- Sports Rivals Pre Season -- worked really well in my opinion. Not that I'll be buying the full game.

Would I have bought it if it were separate? Probably not, but having had the use of it for a while now I'm glad I have it.

I mostly agree... MS hasn't been able to show consumers why they should spend the extra $100 and Sony has done a good job of showing extra value and being cheaper.

But I do know people who purchased an XB1 just for the fitness app and I've heard people say "Xbox record that" irl when making an amazing basketball shot or other real life feats.

meaning MS is not out of the game... They just need a couple more titanfall esque games and something that consumers will rally around the Kinect for... Like the next 1 vs 100.

They spent so much time trying to re-explain how the system works after the controversy that they had little chance to bring the focus as to why it's worth $100 more. It's also taken months just to bring features the XBox 360 had. It didn't help matters that Kinect Sports was delayed too.

I still want to try the system out but no stores in my area have one set-up. They have Wii U and the PS4 though to try. Sounds like a system that you really need to try first.

They spent so much time trying to re-explain how the system works after the controversy that they had little chance to bring the focus as to why it's worth $100 more. It's also taken months just to bring features the XBox 360 had. It didn't help matters that Kinect Sports was delayed too.

I still want to try the system out but no stores in my area have one set-up. They have Wii U and the PS4 though to try. Sounds like a system that you really need to try first.
Even then, the demo stations don't show you much. I tried one at Best Buy and they only let me play a game. No voice features were activated.

xBuTcHeRx

If the XB1 was $400 right now, I'd buy it, but $500 on a peripheral I've had ZERO interest in since 360, theirs no way I'll buy this. If I buy an XB1 now I'd get it brand new from someone on Craiglist for less than $400. Suck it hard M$!

The fact that Crytek ditched the Motion Controls in Ryse, let me know that Kinect 2.0 motion controls were still suspect and didn't work properly. They obviously had no faith in the tech, and went with a more traditional game. I would rather MS have voice commands built into the Controller microphone, and leave the Kinect as an add-on for the camera. So far most games and even the OS are only taking advantage of the voice controls, and the PS4 can do the same Tomb Raider commands without having to Spend an extra $100. Still waiting on a Squad based shooter, that allows for hand commands to give out orders. Get on it MS!!!

Scotch

what gets me about the kinect is how microsoft seems to have got it into so many peoples' heads that kinect = voice controls
they could have stuck a mic on the front of the console and had the same exact thing for 100 dollars less

Really, this is the one thing to take away from this thread. 90% of this thread is talking about whether voice control is working or not, when that is completely beside the point for this discussion. The microphone in Kinect is probably costing Microsoft about 3 bucks. It's the cameras in Kinect that make the Xbox One more expensive.

The could put the microphone on the console, or better yet on the controller, and everyone could be happy (except the people who actually like Kinect games *shudder*).

I won't buy an Xbox until they release a cheaper, Kinect-less pack. I have zero interest in camera gaming (this goes for Sony as well).

Do it MS and I will purchase your system within a week. Ignore my plea and I will buy a PS4 game a week until you comply :p

CoG

No interest in a Xbox One at all at this point. PS4 is great for console games. The Xbox exclusives never did it for me.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Why the hell then is MS not been advertising the fitness app? I have never seen an ad for it. The only way I feel your friends know about it is either word of mouth or because they are more hardcore gamers than casual.

Not sure if 1 vs 100 is the killer app the Kinect needs right now, we were talking about a new and different experience.

MrMephistoX

A price drop I can agree with...dropping the Kinect would be a stupid idea considering how integral it is to Microsoft's overall strategy. I think eventually they'll take the learnings from the tech and apply it to their enterprise solutions, SKYPE and even surface and smart phones: think of it as a prototype testing ground, another trojan horse.

Without Kinect there really isn't a solid value prop beyond core gaming.

Why the hell then is MS not been advertising the fitness app? I have never seen an ad for it. The only way I feel your friends know about it is either word of mouth or because they are more hardcore gamers than casual.

Not sure if 1 vs 100 is the killer app the Kinect needs right now, we were talking about a new and different experience.

Maybe lack of content? What they have is great but I wa expecting to be able to do the whole P090X program not just two workouts.

Xbox Fitness is indeed a killer app but they aren't pushing it nearly enough for how good it is. I've told people with Xbox One's about it that had no idea what it was. When you own Kinect and don't even know about the best app for it, something is wrong with the marketing strategy.

At this point though, it doesn't really even matter what they have to showcase Kinect. Not being at price parity is killing them. If the only way to get there is to drop Kinect then they have to do that.

See I have no idea what is even included, and it is really only 2 workouts from P90X? Jesus.

There's only 2 from P90X but the overall number of workouts offered is pretty significant. You would have no problem creating a robust workout plan from what is offered for free.

Scottiths

Banned

Omg! I would love another 1vs100. I used to plan my day around that. We would have friends come over and make a thing of it. Good times. I have also taken to telling my other electronics to turn on and off. Also play and pause is fantastic to just say and have it work.

Even though the kinect isn't necessary I don't think I would ever want a One without one. It would just be a less powerful (relative to the PS4) system with MS exclusives (hopefully better than last gen). I think it's kind of pointless to not at least get the benefit of the root cause of the performance gap.

MrMephistoX

Omg! I would love another 1vs100. I used to plan my day around that. We would have friends come over and make a thing of it. Good times. I have also taken to telling my other electronics to turn on and off. Also play and pause is fantastic to just say and have it work.

1 vs 100 with Kinect would be my killer app. Seriously MS should just bite the bullet, keep Kinect and drop it by $100. Going disc drive less makes more sense than dropping the Kinect.

Pretty sure people talk PS1 versus Saturn as PS1 was cheaper and more powerful

I think Gamecube versus PS2 also works but might be more time between those consoles releases

saturn killed itself though and fast. snes was more powerful than genesis and won i believe. sony was going to win this gen regardless since they are strong worldwide and there is no headstart this time.

1 vs 100 with Kinect would be my killer app. Seriously MS should just bite the bullet, keep Kinect and drop it by $100. Going disc drive less makes more sense than dropping the Kinect.

Make more sense as in alienating a huge portion of the market and making the system a niche product, then yes.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Xbox, go to Star Trek into darkness is the killer app where have you been?

Everytime somebody mentions how they use the Kinect, it's always voice commands. Drop the camera, build in a microphone array to the console and drop $70 off the price, while still maintaining what people use it for.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
No interest in a Xbox One at all at this point. PS4 is great for console games. The Xbox exclusives never did it for me.

Thanks for letting us know.
What does this post of yours have to with the thread? Please explain.

Everytime somebody mentions how they use the Kinect, it's always voice commands. Drop the camera, build in a microphone array to the console and drop $70 off the price, while still maintaining what people use it for.

Makes perfect sense. They are making the Kinect's 8% stress on the GPU for visual processing optional anyways.

NoPiece

How would you want Kinect implemented for 1 vs 100? The controller was pretty much perfect for the 4 question multiple choice responses.

They should definitely bring back 1 vs 100 though. It was a much more effective way to engage casuals than body waggle.

I'm definitely on team drop the Kinect and drop the price...

Microsoft really needs a cybersex app on the market to add value to the Kinect bundle-in. It can already track your dick, so why not?

It's kind of hilarious to see people in here talk about the Xbone like ms already lost the war.

Didn't the thing come out in November?

Anyway, the price point is killing them. I don't think power matters nearly as much as price and MS so far has not offered any reason as to why the extra hundred is worth it. I think their appeal to the masses is fine but I don't know a lot of people besides the hardcore that would buy a system for 500.

saturn killed itself though and fast. snes was more powerful than genesis and won i believe. sony was going to win this gen regardless since they are strong worldwide and there is no headstart this time.

So if consoles were reversed and Sony were putting out the One under their name, sony would win regardless?

cakely

I previously suggested that Microsoft make a Xbox One with a built-in microphone and call it "Kinect Air".

Keep the voice navigation, which is really what they're selling now, and ditch the HAL 9000.

I previously suggested that Microsoft make a Xbox One with a built-in microphone and call it "Kinect Air".

Keep the voice navigation, which is really what they're selling now, and ditch the HAL 9000.

That's clearly impossible. And there is no way at all that MS could instead assuming the built-in microphone is a no go release a cheap USB version of this

802943b.jpg

http://www.gamestop.com/wii/accessories/wii-speak-mic/72572

Entirely impossible...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Oh, lets have a look on Sony: they've been rated as 'Junk' and rubbish at stock exchange, they have no money, they are selling PC division and excluding TV, selling company buildings etc. pp.

And what about Nintendo: Even though they still have good cash on the banks, they're screwing up massively with Wii U and 3DS isn't as promising as they wish to be plus their foray into health business? Rly?

Why I'm writing this down? Because I'm f*cking SICK of the constanteous bash of Microsoft and the Xbox One. In fact Windows Phone and Surface are gorgeous products if you spent more than 5 minutes with the devices and their distinct features. Same counts for XOne even though I admit that it has some flaws and really bad PR (at least during last years E3), but I can't hear nor read anymore shit about resolutiongate, PR and how Microsoft is fucking up with their products because that is clearly not the case. Just look at the competitors and then you see who is really fucking up. Sony, beside PlayStation, is a ship already nearly sunken and Nintendo is driving itself into oblivion while Iwata gives a FUCK about it but instead is creating 'health business'.

Seriously guys, think about it.
Oh please Gary Bettman grant me the strength to endure

Read forum Post #1 - here.
Read forum Post #2 - here.
Read forum Post #3 - here...a near carbon copy of Forum Post #2, mind.

Google Search poster by nick. Find poster's Kickstarter page.

Google the RL name on that Kickstarter page. Find Twitter profile with the same photo and a slew of Xbone marketing retweets.

You know, similar to what we discovered late last year.

At the very least, last year's batch of virals and wanna-be's made it interesting. This shit is amateur hour. Stop it. Now.

SnakeEyes

Banned

Google the RL name on that Kickstarter page. Find Twitter profile with the same photo and a slew of Xbone marketing retweets.

At the very least, last year's batch of virals and wanna-be's made it interesting. This shit is amateur hour. Stop it. Now.
Fuck. Yes.

Detective Bish on the case!

Nice to know Bish is always on the case

I thought that poster was just at the end of his rope. MS must have run out of the more talented astroturfers by this point.B team is not cutting it.

DD-11

I find the Kinect to be frustrating at times. Fitness is amazing. And it's amazing that MS isn't showing it off at all. The voice commands are cool and I use them far more than I thought I would. Overall, It's great, and if I lost Kinect tomorrow, I'd really miss it, and would get a replacement. If I had a choice between $100 cheaper or a Kinect, I'd go Kinect. It does add value outside of gaming (the only place it is useful so far) and $100 isn't a big deal to me as a one time expense.

That's not true for kids, students, and those who just want to play football or whatever on weekends. This is where MS miscalculated. If there was parity in price, MS would be in the race, as it is, they're not going to get near Sony.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Oh, lets have a look on Sony: they've been rated as 'Junk' and rubbish at stock exchange, they have no money, they are selling PC division and excluding TV, selling company buildings etc. pp.

And what about Nintendo: Even though they still have good cash on the banks, they're screwing up massively with Wii U and 3DS isn't as promising as they wish to be plus their foray into health business? Rly?

Why I'm writing this down? Because I'm f*cking SICK of the constanteous bash of Microsoft and the Xbox One. In fact Windows Phone and Surface are gorgeous products if you spent more than 5 minutes with the devices and their distinct features. Same counts for XOne even though I admit that it has some flaws and really bad PR (at least during last years E3), but I can't hear nor read anymore shit about resolutiongate, PR and how Microsoft is fucking up with their products because that is clearly not the case. Just look at the competitors and then you see who is really fucking up. Sony, beside PlayStation, is a ship already nearly sunken and Nintendo is driving itself into oblivion while Iwata gives a FUCK about it but instead is creating 'health business'.

Seriously guys, think about it.
I have some bad news for you.

madmackem

hahaha someone just got bish slapped.

Maybe one of the reasons MS feels the price is ok is that they were able to sell so many 360s at its horribly high price for so long.

Top Bottom