• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 3 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

John was my standout of the year.

GM4UUKB.jpg

TripOpt55

Oh man. Another great season. Was surprised how well the season ended for them, but I liked it. This remains one of my favorite comedies on TV.

bachikarn

I just rewatched the first episode and didn't realize the end of the finale had a lot of callbacks to the end of the first episode.

"Richard.......we have a secret....."

Jared was on fire during that finale. Fantastic episode.

I get that, but I mean, they're shown to be clever enough to fix all the other 'difficult' problems but this UI thing is the one that stumped them all and they're just like oh well I guess that is that. *throws away everything* :\

They seemingly have many contacts in the world but zero of them even suggest a hmm maybe this idea.

Engineers are shit at UI.

It is known.

YoungFa

What will monicas job be at the new pied piper? Before she seemed to just act as a middle man between Pied Piper and Raviga. Will she be responsible to secure new funding? They are all out of money right now, right?

VAD

This show is so good I watched season 3 in a week. I especially loved Donald/Jared character, he is the most touching character, he his the most loyal, takes the most shit from everyone but doesn't resent anyone, I can't wait until he decides he can't take it anymore and fights back (the fucker who is abusing his flat will surely get what's coming to him).
I also liked how the show adressed one of my greatest fears: what if the users don't get it? It's terrifying to me and seeing Richard struggling to keep people interested was a bit heart wrenching.
I find the show more interesting with all the suspense regarding the company's future than it is funny (most likely due to the lack of Russ).

Shaneus

Did anyone else notice they'd almost certainly planned for the series not getting renewed at the end of this season? Russ' appearance almost solidified that for me.

Still don't know how those writers manage to create an episode that would both serve as a series finale AND keep the show open if it were to continue.

Kinokou

After that karaoke segment, I had this weird idea that parts of the plot and plenty of the humor of Silicon Valley would lend itself well to the music industry. Would anyone know a show that could fit the bill?

Jonogunn

I didn't get the part where Erlich says to big head in a low tone "biiiig heeead" to big head? And then Jarred also says "big head".

I didn't get the part where Erlich says to big head in a low tone "biiiig heeead" to big head? And then Jarred also says "big head".

Whenever Erlich is high and sees Bighead, he realizes how funny he thinks Bigheads nickname is. Iirc that's how S01E01 ended. Or maybe it was S01E10. It's one of my many throwbacks, regardless.

Line of the season : "Nice chain. Do you choke your mom with it when you put your penis in her butthole?"

We laughed and rewound about 10 times.

Jared: Hey! Sorry if I scared you, I know I have somewhat ghost-like features. My uncle used to say, "You look like someone starved a virgin to death."

That is probably the funniest thing I've heard in years. I love this show. The writers have been on point since day one.

Do we know if they are doing the full 10 episodes next season since GoT is shortened the next couple years.

God I hope so.
I don't think they announced an episode count with the renewal, so we might not know for a while. I don't know how they want to handle the reduced episode count for GoT with respect to Silicon Valley and Veep.

nomster

Just marathoned through seasons 2 and 3, great stuff. This show reminds me of the better early seasons of entourage but without the terrible E, Vince and Ari storylines.

- Warming Glow interview: ‘Silicon Valley’ Showrunner Alec Berg Talks About Being Out-Sillied By The Real Silicon Valley
At the end of season three, there was essentially a reset, where Pied Piper is pivoting to this new video app and you also have Bachman and Big Head reunited with the rest of the gang. Do you know where you are going for season four? How far ahead do you plan? Do you come up with the season arc right away?

You try. It makes things easier. It depends on the season. Season one, we kind of stumbled through. Season two, we sort of landed on the idea of the lawsuit. We figured out that they should take money from a bad source, and then we kind of knew where the season was going to end, with mediation and with them getting their IP back. Season three, it was sort of like two half seasons to me. The first half was the season of Jack Barker, and then the second half was rolling out the platform.

Every season we do this, we keep getting more and more behind as we do it. So we were crazily writing episodes seven, eight, nine, and 10 midway through the season last year.

I don’t think we even really knew what episodes nine and 10 were until a couple of weeks before we shot them. We were very far behind. Whereas season one, we had drafts of all eight episodes before we started shooting. I don’t know whether we’re just a little more comfortable writing from behind or whether we’ve gotten lazy or if it’s just gotten harder to write the show. Season one you never have the problem of going, “You know, we kind of already did that.”

Have you thought at all about how Silicon Valley will end? Matthew Weiner said that he had an idea of where Don Draper would end up in Mad Men, and he figured out how to get there. What fate do you have in mind for Richard Hendricks?

I actually did a panel with Matthew Weiner and he said something really interesting, which was they basically made a deal to do the final 36 episodes and as soon as they knew how many episodes were left, he started thinking about, “Where do we end?” I think he had the idea for that ending pretty early on, but he said that [deal] just changed the nature of the writing.

I don’t think we’re there yet. I still feel like we’re in the middle of the show somewhere.
More via the link.

I flew past the first 2 seasons of this show---loved them to death. Just started season 3. Still loving the show, but I just had to pop into GAF since I haven't yet and ask---does anyone else hate Laurie? She feels so forced and unnatural. Not in a good way either, like that is her character and she is selling it well. More of a "they are trying to hard to have her be like that" kind of way. If that makes sense...really drives me nuts.

Grinchy

Banned
I flew past the first 2 seasons of this show---loved them to death. Just started season 3. Still loving the show, but I just had to pop into GAF since I haven't yet and ask---does anyone else hate Laurie? She feels so forced and unnatural. Not in a good way either, like that is her character and she is selling it well. More of a "they are trying to hard to have her be like that" kind of way. If that makes sense...really drives me nuts.

I like her but I can definitely see that. I think others agree that she's kinda just trying to be too much like Peter Gregory and not doing it well.

HBO PR said:
HBO has confirmed an April debut for the new season of SILICON VALLEY, with the Emmy®-winning comedy series scheduled to kick off its ten-episode fourth season SUNDAY, APRIL 23 (10:00–10:30 p.m. ET/PT).

If GoT is on at a different time this year it just wont be the same without my back-to-back TV block of awesomeness with that and Silicon Valley. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom