• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I tried to watch this with my family but they made fun of me when the first sex scene with Tyrion was happening so I closed it and now I'm pissed. They also said Ned Stark was a murderer for chopping that kid's head off.

Did you storm off and say a "Lannister always pays his debts!"?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Ratings arent nearly as important to HBO than other networks. What they care about is new subscriptions and dvd/merchandise sales

No idea on the new subscriptions, but dvd/merchadise sales is obviously doing quite well, so I am not too worried about the show getting canceled so long as fans keep buying those dvds

Oh yeah, GoT isn't going anywhere. I was just talking about the potential magnitude of ratings climb from first to second season. TB essentially doubled its viewership from season 1 to season 2. I don't see GoT getting that crazy, but like you say DVD/BRD sales have proven that there are definitely people willing to throw down cash on it. I'm thinking about finally buying a damn Blu Ray player just to get the damn GoT set even though I've seen the first season 3 times now and listened to all the DVD commentaries. Just anecdotally hearing people in this thread talking about subscribing to three months of HBO to see it is encouraging.

I listened to the audio books rather than reading and Roy Dotrice does an amazing job through the first 3 (seriously, I cant stress enough how great of a job he did). However he misses a step through the last 2 books. Then again that is a gripe for another thread.

Yeah, I listened to the audio books for a clash of kings and a storm of swords and I'm halfish-way through reading through a feast for crows on e-book/actual book (keep the book at work, read my kindle at home).

I couldn't fathom no Roy Dotrice for AFfC, so I'm trying to imagine him reading it rather than listening to someone else.

3N16MA

Banned
Yeah, I listened to the audio books for a clash of kings and a storm of swords and I'm halfish-way through reading through a feast for crows on e-book/actual book (keep the book at work, read my kindle at home).

I couldn't fathom no Roy Dotrice for AFfC, so I'm trying to imagine him reading it rather than listening to someone else.

He actually re-read AFFC late last year and it was released.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Which characters do you guys like most? Which scenarios do you find the most compelling going into the new season?

I really liked Robert Baratheon. He was a stag, but he truly had some of the dragon's blood in him.Mark Addy's was the best performance for me in the series there. You really get the sense that his character was a true soldier. That he took the throne because it was the right thing to do. But also that he doesn't know what it entails to be a king. And how different it is from the clarity of war and soldiering. Mark Addy portrays so much, illustrates so much of a history and a background you don't really get to see about this character with his limited run in the series that it was absolutely the first and real draw for me in the series. 
It was very unfortunate that he died, but the performance was so well orchestrated that you weren't really surprised at all that he died. And it didn't really have a negative impact on you, because you felt as though the role of King was a pain to him and that his death was a relief for the soldier that was once he. 

As far as most interesting scenarios to come:
I am not so sure. Robert and Ned's demise really brought an end to my favourite relationship of the series. However, this relationship appears to have been replaced by that of Stannis and Renly. Brothers by blood and name, but share not the kinship that Robert and Eddard had shared even though they were not united by neither blood nor name. An absolute perfect contrast to the one we had witnessed in the first volume of the series.
If I had to choose a character/scenario, then I would say that Stannis appeals to me. He is another soldier from the 'old school', belongs up there with Ned, Robert, Jaime. Compelled by justice and loyalty. Never really had the love of his brother or anyone else really, but has the right to that which is now sought by all. He is going to be the character I am looking most forward to in this regard. Him together with Davos. As Davos appears to be the Ned to Stannis' Robert.

Oh yeah, GoT isn't going anywhere. I was just talking about the potential magnitude of ratings climb from first to second season. TB essentially doubled its viewership from season 1 to season 2. I don't see GoT getting that crazy, but like you say DVD/BRD sales have proven that there are definitely people willing to throw down cash on it. I'm thinking about finally buying a damn Blu Ray player just to get the damn GoT set even though I've seen the first season 3 times now and listened to all the DVD commentaries. Just anecdotally hearing people in this thread talking about subscribing to three months of HBO to see it is encouraging.

True Blood more than doubled its viewership and continued to get more viewers as season 2 went along. It was truly impressive.

GOT did average half a million viewers per episode higher than True Blood in its first season, so doubling its viewership would really be amazing.

Just my personal ballpark figure, but I expect somewhere from 3.5-3.8 for the premiere, and maybe the show swells to the 4-ish by season's end.

Sliver

Just finished my rewatch of the first season. So god damn hyped. Glad that Chris from Skins is playing Gendry, he's awesome.

Piecake

Never understood the Feast hate. I really enjoyed it.

I enjoyed Feast and ADWD as well. Not as good as the first 3, but I still enjoyed them a lot. I think the reason for that is that I think I put less emphasis on plot and pacing than most people (if it has a slow pace due to character development, that is okay with me. Meaningless plots not so much)

Decado

I think the ratings on S2 are going to explode just like they did for True Blood.
Even they don't (doubt it will), the series should be OK. Pretty sure the main draw to this series is overseas, where they sell each episode for some pretty epic cash.

KingK

I enjoyed Feast and ADWD as well. Not as good as the first 3, but I still enjoyed them a lot. I think the reason for that is that I think I put less emphasis on plot and pacing than most people (if it has a slow pace due to character development, that is okay with me. Meaningless plots not so much)

Yeah AFFC and ADWD are both great books. AFFC is definitely my least favorite in the series, just because I'm not a big fan of many of the characters in it and I hate everything dealing with
the iron islands
, but it's still an enjoyable read that does a good job portraying the aftermath of book 3. ADWD is every bit as good as ACOK, imo, and would have been better if they had a good editor make a few changes.

I can barely remember. Mostly they were laughing and said I bought it to watch naked women or something to that effect. I was mad, my family is nice but way too immature sometimes.

I kept telling my family that most of the sex scenes weren't in the books and HBO added them because they're HBO and tried to get the point across that I found them as annoying as they did while carefully making sure it didn't sound like I was coming out.

KingK

I kept telling my family that most of the sex scenes weren't in the books and HBO added them because they're HBO and tried to get the point across that I found them as annoying as they did while carefully making sure it didn't sound like I was coming out.

lol. But the books did have just as much sex as the HBO show.

I watched through the entire season with my mom and sister over spring break. It felt a little awkward at times, especially that 5 minute long littlefinger/lesbian sexposition scene, but it wasn't that bad.

JerkShep

Only three episodes left for my rewatch, S01 really keeps getting better and better towards the end. There are still some ankward moments (Littlefinger exposition while the two whores fuck is still unbearable lol), but there are so many good scenes.
I just want less Ross (I hope she dies horribly this season, her scenes are sooo bad), a more charismatic Renly (from the trailer it seems he's definitely improved from S01), more direwolfs (not white dogs please), a couple of good battles (one in particular) and possibly few CGI backgrounds like the one in the Vale (it looks really fake).

bengraven

(COK spoilers)
I keep thinking his and Ygritte's scenes are at the beginning of SOS, but I just realized they're not.

I had it in my head that COK ends with Jon realizing Ygritte is a girl and then letting her go...I even asked in previous thread why they felt the need to cast Ygritte this season.

Pleasantly reminded myself that we'll get at least one episode showing Jon and Halfhand with the wildlings.

That was really good. It would make a great ad to play on TV.

I assume it is because of the length.

HBO has been playing an abbreviated 'Seven Devils' ad for the past couple of weeks. I assume they'll play this ad this week before the premiere.

KingK

(COK spoilers)
I keep thinking his and Ygritte's scenes are at the beginning of SOS, but I just realized they're not.

I had it in my head that COK ends with Jon realizing Ygritte is a girl and then letting her go...I even asked in previous thread why they felt the need to cast Ygritte this season.

Pleasantly reminded myself that we'll get at least one episode showing Jon and Halfhand with the wildlings.

COK
Jon's CoK arc ends with him killing Halfhand and joining the wildlings, right?

LProtag

Alright, got our 3 free months of HBO set up at my new place.

Now to invite people over and make some mulled wine for Sunday.

bengraven

COK
Jon's CoK arc ends with him killing Halfhand and joining the wildlings, right?

COK spoiler:
Yes, that shot of Ygritte looking over her shoulder might be one of the last shots in his story this season. She's likely looking at a defeated and emotionally damaged Jon attempting to look like he's happy to be with them.

No more booktalk, I promise.
(until the series starts)

apana

Arya is the best:

tumblr_lnt0utjpo31qbj6cco1_500.gif

Emmy plz.

-Stranger-

Hey everyone anyone heard if the first episode has leaked, i have seen a few links floating around but i wasn't sure if it was fake...

The finale of season 1 was amazing, going to buy season 1 on bluray soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom