• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.
detgaf20vkcc.png

Get that on a shirt

First of all compliments to every GAF detective here, great job!

It would be nice to "reassemble" the trailer in the correct order, I mean the video obviously.

Now if I am not wrong we know:

- the car crash happens as last, since they have the bandage and we can see pills flying

- the elevator kid part is followed by the explosion part (someone already posted this part connecting the two scenes in the correct order)

- the part in which they turn the body and we can see the face in theory is after the explosion but then...something must have happened otherwise how can they take the car/ambulance???

The other parts I still have to place them in time. Any help is well accepted.

This is my attempt at re-cutting the trailer into chronological order. I used clues from the video to establish continuity, such as "Snake"s progression from crawling to running, the lighting becoming darker implying a power cut, and the building filling with smoke. There are still 3 clips I do not know where to place, which I've put at the end of the video.

EDIT: New version (#2): http://youtu.be/VLb6NPKWQ5g

I call the main character "Snake" for shorthand, we do not know his actual identity.

Working on this really made me think about the factions at play. I never considered the possibilities before, and it made me realise that the "Psycho Mantis" child character may not actually be working with the soldiers. The child might actually be a patient in the hospital that the soldiers are trying to kill.

Also, the child may not be the source of the explosions, although he would be the source of the hallucinations. The explosions and fire could in fact be the soldiers attempting to destroy the building.

This is my first attempt at re-cutting the trailer into chronological order. I used clues from the video to establish continuity, such as "Snake"s progression from crawling to running, the lighting becoming darker implying a power cut, and the building filling with smoke. There are still 3 clips I do not know where to place, which I've put at the end of the video.

http://youtu.be/GPI-KSVrZ2o

I call the characters "Snake" and "Mantis" for shorthand.

I didn't make this clear enough in the video - the very short clip of the woman(?) on fire has the same Union Jack and map on the wall as the room you wake up in.

While uploading I realised that there are in fact two sources of smoke - the soldiers throw smoke grenades into the building.

Working on this really made me think about the factions at play. I never considered the possibilities before, and it made me realise that the "Psycho Mantis" child character may not actually be working with the soldiers. Mantis might actually be a patient in the hospital that the soldiers are trying to kill.

Also, Mantis may not be the source of the explosions, although he would be the source of the hallucinations. It could be the soldiers firing at him and attempting to destroy the whole building.

awesome work!! it does look as if one of the soldiers is whipping his head to see "mantis" floating behind him. something might happen after that which causes the soldiers to flee and give snake time to escape with bandage dude.

Ran rp

Someone named DionisisZogaris on Twitter, I think he's a member who doesn't have his account approved, lives in Greece and said that the doctor's accent is spot on for Cyprus. Lots of Cyprus evidence building up and I thought I would pass it on since he took the time to track me down.

I was watching a video on the closing of TPMH and I linked most of the speakers in the video. I wouldn't know if any of them are native to the area or not but some of them have an accent that sounds similar to the doctor's. Specifically the first two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BWAn8zMBg7I#t=153s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BWAn8zMBg7I#t=180s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BWAn8zMBg7I#t=48s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BWAn8zMBg7I#t=92s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BWAn8zMBg7I#t=116s

Marvelous. You should submit it to EviLore for the Gaf store.

Ran rp

This is my first attempt at re-cutting the trailer into chronological order. I used clues from the video to establish continuity, such as "Snake"s progression from crawling to running, the lighting becoming darker implying a power cut, and the building filling with smoke. There are still 3 clips I do not know where to place, which I've put at the end of the video.

http://youtu.be/GPI-KSVrZ2o

I didn't make this clear enough in the video - the very short clip of the woman(?) on fire has the same Union Jack and map on the wall as the room you wake up in.

While uploading I realised that there are in fact two sources of smoke - the soldiers throw smoke grenades into the building.

Working on this really made me think about the factions at play. I never considered the possibilities before, and it made me realise that the "Psycho Mantis" child character may not actually be working with the soldiers. Mantis might actually be a patient in the hospital that the soldiers are trying to kill.

Also, Mantis may not be the source of the explosions, although he would be the source of the hallucinations. It could be the soldiers firing at him and attempting to destroy the whole building.

The "I don't have enough context to place these clips" made me laugh. Great work!

Edit: ah damn, this was supposed to be an edit in my previous post.

Holy shit that Cyrus map, the hospital and then vid's post about what V could be in terms of collection of stories.

Detective GAF at its finest.

Amazing thread. Thanks for the read guys. My hype has gone from WTF to through the stratosphere!

ShaunBRS

Yeah, this is really fascinating. Good catch with the petal continuity too, I didn't even notice them in the fire clip.

As for the unidentified clips – is there any reason you didn't slot the second one in at 2:03? It seems like it would fit in there (perhaps I'm overlooking something though), and maybe the third one would fit in at 1:10 (flashlights, hallway and audio of the next clip would match up and make sense as snake/the room was discovered as well).

Yeah, this is really fascinating. Good catch with the petal continuity too, I didn't even notice them in the fire clip.

As for the unidentified clips – is there any reason you didn't slot the second one in at 2:03? It seems like it would fit in there (perhaps I'm overlooking something though), and maybe the third one would fit in at 1:10 (flashlights, hallway and audio of the next clip would match up and make sense as snake/the room was discovered as well).

The soldier clip can go anywhere during the assault, but there's just not enough information given about the scene to place it exactly. For example there are four soldiers in the close-up, but only two are seen in the clip of them shooting at the crowd of people.

As for the "Volgin" silhouette, I think those two clips are from different places. The Volgin clip has rubble near his feet, while the Big Boss one has only fire.

A revised version will be uploaded soon.

CpmPanda

Neo Member
I noticed on a facebook page someone posted that The Phantom Pain is just a chapter in MGS: Ground Zeroes and that they're giving us a sneak peek at the game and chapter. In Peace Walker, chapter 2 is called, The Phantom Hero. This is where he first meets Strangelove and we all know how much she loves The Boss. Not sure what to make of it, don't really see any similarities. That video was done well by the way!

Chapter 2: The Phantom Hero
Snake decides to infiltrate the base using Huey's access card; while sneaking through the forest, he stumbles upon a scantily-clad woman who has escaped the base. The woman, Cécile Cosina Caminades, explains that she was captured for recording Quetzal sounds inside the ruins, not knowing that there was a base inside. When Huey's passcard does not work, Snake finds a guard who found the one Cécile used to escape, allowing him to enter the facility.
Inside, Snake encounters Dr. Strangelove. She explains that she has duplicated The Boss' personality in a massive AI core, called the Mammal Pod. She details that the pod can enable a nuclear retaliation without hesitation, and that The Boss' decision-making skills are most suited for the task of planning the attack. Snake enters the Mammal Pod and talks with the AI, which turns out to be the voice in Gálvez's tape. Shocked at the misuse of Big Boss' legacy, Snake attempts to take out the main parts of it. Inside the pod, Snake passes out and wakes up in a large courtyard, where he sees a helicopter carrying the Mammal Pod away. A flying AI, named the Chrysalis, is sent to deal with Snake, but is defeated. Kaz informs Snake about Peace Walker's testing location — an underground base disguised as a strip mine.

jett

D-Member
This is my attempt at re-cutting the trailer into chronological order. I used clues from the video to establish continuity, such as "Snake"s progression from crawling to running, the lighting becoming darker implying a power cut, and the building filling with smoke. There are still 3 clips I do not know where to place, which I've put at the end of the video.

http://youtu.be/GPI-KSVrZ2o[/B]

Also, Mantis may not be the source of the explosions, although he would be the source of the hallucinations. It could in fact be the soldiers firing at him and attempting to destroy the building.

That's really good work.

the mark

Random speculation:

The Ground Zeroes trailer features a disfigured man who seems to lead a group that can change and disguise their equipment (like removing the logo from the helicopter) quickly and easily. What if we're looking at the true face of Decoy Octopus? And now we've also got the theories running wild about Mantis being a part of the Phantom Pain trailer...

It's been speculated that Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are separate parts of the same game, so could we be looking at a story that revolves around the various FOXHOUND team members? Let’s take it a step further…

Remember the intro to MGS4? With the different television channels and ads for the various PMCs? What if MGSV is similar, and it’s actually a collection of five smaller games, each one telling the story of a member of FOXHOUND (with the exception of Revolver Ocelot) and playing in a different style? Ground Zeroes is the open world Metal Gear game, Phantom Pain as a sort of military horror game (something like F.E.A.R. but in the MGS style), and so on.

It’s MGSV, not MGS5. That is to say… maybe it’s not the fifth game in the Metal Gear Solid series, but a game about five stories all related to Metal Gear Solid?

...I really want that game that exists in my head now.

Last chapter of the game: The Shadow Moses incident a.k.a. Metal Gear Remake! :O

Someone may have already pointed out, but the Moby Dick tail logo seems to be in reverse.

Google search "Whale tail" and look at the images. Most if not all images have the tail above the water. The logo suggests the whale is above the water with the tail facing downwards, as if jumping out of the water. If you look at any whale images of them jumping, the tail is never really fully exposed like the image suggests unlike dolphins. Therefore, the image is deliberately reversed, but why?

XOF and FOX.

What if The Phantom Pain is actually a cheesy Bmovie style TV show (much like the PMC ads in MGS 4). What if it's a series of spoof movies that can be viewed in MGS GZ? The cheesy piano riff that plays when the title comes up screams of bmovie style drama. However, given the website suggests Moby Dick are making a game, then it could actually be playable.

Some sci fi TV influences of the 70s include things like The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Battlestar Galactica, Wonder Woman, The Incredible Hulk, and Fantasy Island.

To add more weight to the theory, Kojima loves movie direction and can be see as a wannabe movie director in some cases. A lot was spent on the MGS 4 adverts and TV channels, and this time we're possibly getting a TV series but using the FOX engine (and in keeping with the GZ timeframe of the 70s). Bmovies were popular in the 70s. The guys at the VGA wearing the Moby Dick Tshirts are likely to be working on this TV series for the game considering their backgrounds. Moby Dick is a popular tale (whale's tail) and so could be the Phantom Pain.

I am not saying this is right, but it does fit in with this being Ground Zeroes and not another game. I certainly agree that announcing a new game months after another game is wishful thinking.

Some more info (from wiki) on the TV series theory. I think it's easy to become disconnected from reality of the time period when playing MG games. However, Kojima provides constant reminder in the codec conversations that there is a world out there beyond the mission.

The rise of telefilms in the 70s

The success of the 1971 telefilm Duel signalled the rise of movies produced specifically for television. Some featured a hero or heroine whose life was in jeopardy, while others were pilots for proposed TV series to be picked up by a network. (Some sold; many did not.) Still others centered around the descrutiveness of a certain disease, whether medical or social. Roots, a multi-part miniseries that ran on a number of consecutive nights in early 1977, proved to be a huge hit in the ratings and thus paved the way for others of its kind like Shogun and The Thorn Birds.

Some comparisons can also be drawn with the SiX Million Dollar Man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HofoK_QQxGc

The background story of the original novel and the later series is the crash of former astronaut Steve Austin in a “lifting body” craft, shown in the opening credits of the show. Austin is severely injured in the crash and is “rebuilt” in a title-giving operation that costs at least six million dollars . His right arm, both legs and the left eye are replaced by "bionic" implants that enhance his strength, speed and vision far above human norms. He uses his enhanced abilities to work for the OSI (Office of Scientific Intelligence) as a secret agent.

Also some comparisons can be drawn from The Prisoner which aired in the late 60s.

http://youtu.be/Sv813f2Xtrg

Persona86

Banned
I thought it was set after peace walker, they captured chico and paz as hostages in the ground zeroes trailer didn't they?

What if it's set on his entire life, the times we have only heard about and the missing parts, the time before MGS3 and the time after Peace Walker, right until
he meets solid snake at the end of MGS4

I think that would be pretty cool.

Mr. RHC

Guys. Guys!

We still don't know what role Ocelot has in this game. I'm so fucking excited thinking about that! That bastard is everywhere!

Yes. ;)

Hype! As if the game wasn't mysterious enough already, it's just getting real with Adamska!

Also, great Detective GAF logo!

Revan

I've been following this thread since its creation and I'm amazed at Detective GAF!

Brilliant work!

My 0.02$ on what TPP and GZ is:

GZ, is the prologue to MGS5 on the PS360

TPP (aka MGSV) is a series of short stories (as others has mentioned) on the Vita.

MGS5 proper is a next gen launch title.

I believe that the plot of both GZ and TPP will center around Outer Heaven, Zanzibarland and the LET Project, albeit in what games I'm not too certain.

I also believe that the OGRE project Kojima had been talking about will completely tie into these games (my guess on this is the cloning process/super baby method being a part of the game in incredible detail, as well as child soldiers being a huge part of the plot/game with some very exceptionally graphic stuff - hence OGRE).

I think that we will see almost everyone from the MGS universe make an appearance, in realtime, flashback or hallucination form.

And I also believe that these games are going to be MG1 and MG2:SS remakes, completely retconning the MSX series out of the canon.

And I also believe that these games are going to be MG1 and MG2:SS remakes, completely retconning the MSX series out of the canon.

Not sure about it being on Vita or whatnot but this is one thing I want so badly. I want the mess surrounding "canon" due to the confliction resulted from MG and MG2 to be gone. I want Kojima to remake these titles with a few changes to make things canon and patch up the entire legacy once and for all.

duotres

Neo Member
Hi guys, just a small contribution.

Near the Princess Mary's Hospital in Cyprus there is a Dam, with more or less the shape of a whale tail, not exactly like the Moby Dick Logo, but, its like a tail.
Reading in the wiki i found that this "kouris" dam have some "local legends" like this:

"According to local legend, the dam is home to a cryptid, the Ayia Napa sea monster. Government officials have started a search for the monster's existence in several locations on the island including Kouris Dam as well as Cape Greko (a village near the creature's namesake Ayia Napa). It has been speculated to be something like a crocodile or serpent. One citizen was so adamant he had spotted the creature that he told reporters, "I watched this serpent with my own two eyes, this was no mistake"

In peace walker Chico was really into these monsters and urban legends things.

Mr. RHC

Hi guys, just a small contribution.

Near the Princess Mary's Hospital in Cyprus there is a Dam, with more or less the shape of a whale tail, not exactly like the Moby Dick Logo, but, its like a tail.
Reading in the wiki i found that this "kouris" dam have some "local legends" like this:

i7utVoHBHYL6G.gif

This is amazing!

If all of this is true.. wow.

winstano

I'd love it if Kojima was sat in front of a computer, looking at this thread, with a notepad taking down all of these theories & going "Hmmm, that's not a bad idea... Yoji! Draw me this!"

Revan

I am ashamed to say that I still haven't played Peace Walker.

Any advice for getting the HD collection on disc vs. download?

You can pick and choose what you want when going digital (both on PS360 and Vita for MGS2/MGS3 - PW on Vita is the PSP version with lower end graphics and it's locked at 22fps).

I'd say console for PW - the game is incredible and shouldn't be missed (it was supposed to be MGS5 after all).

Salaadin

I am ashamed to say that I still haven't played Peace Walker.

Any advice for getting the HD collection on disc vs. download?

Id go with PW console version. Looks better and controls better.

Disc vs download, its up to you. Youre more likely going to find a deal on the disc version but if moneys not an issue, then its all your call to make.

BadWolf

Keep reading about Ground Zeroes being just a prologue ala the tanker but the way it was revealed and presented just doesn't make it come off that way. It was revealed as an actual game. Sure Raiden was MGS2's secret until the end for us but that didn't change the subtitle of the game, it was Sons of Liberty the entire time.

The reason I think it doesn't share a numbered name is that it is a direct followup to Peace Walker. Both share a game structure that is unlike all the other main line MGS games. Both are canon but both aren't numbered. This way they get to try new things and have it separate from what people usually expect gameplay-wise.

Tom_Cody

There aren't any differences, I don't think. Have fun and disregard the try-hard drama.

You can pick and choose what you want when going digital (both on PS360 and Vita for MGS2/MGS3 - PW on Vita is the PSP version with lower end graphics and it's locked at 22fps).

I'd say console for PW - the game is incredible and shouldn't be missed (it was supposed to be MGS5 after all).
Thanks! I will download it tonight. Seeing all these GZ/PP/MGS5 threads have painful. I need to get caught up on the series.

Revan

Is there only one ending? I might play it solo if so. It's worth it playing solo in normal difficulty, right?!

There is the standard ending - then the real ending (you need to find one guy 7 different times IIRC and need to play through almost all of the Optional OPS to get the "true" ending).

Some of the OPS are bloody hard on a handheld solo but get easier with a proper console controller.

YMMV when it comes to ripping through the game solo - I got serious hand cramps from playing solo on my old PSP, but was fine with a DS3.

Revan

Is there a major difference between standard and true ending, or can I just google the true ending and not lose anything once I finish the game?

I recommend playing through the game as much as you can - it really is something that needs to be experienced, as infuriating as it can be.

If you get sick of it though yah you could YT the ending but I highly recommend playing through it.

There are a ton of walkthroughs (there was one posted on GameFAQS that really helped me) that can guide you along the way.

Building Mother Base was a hell of a lot of fun too and does help make the game get easier as it goes along.

Is there a major difference between standard and true ending, or can I just google the true ending and not lose anything once I finish the game?

Its not that there's a "true ending". There's a second ending that you have to get by continuing to play and doing a few things (you don't have to replay the game again to get the ending, just need to know what to do to get the second ending). And then theres something else which I would kind of consider like a third ending? Its a secret tape.

BTW if you haven't played through Peace Walker no reason not to pick up the HD version and play through it. Its pretty fun once you learn how the supply drops work and the different ways to take down (or capture) bosses. Some people think its super grindy, but thats only if you totally ignore side missions. If you do the side stuff as they pop up its not grindy at all.

ekim

Is this new? I just searched for some relation between Moby Dick and Phantom Pain

Phantom limb pain is described in Herman Melville's novel Moby Dick, which was first published in 1851. Captain Ahab, who had lost his leg in a skirmish with the great white whale, stated, "A dismasted man never entirely loses the feeling of his old spar. . . And I still feel the smart of my crushed leg, though it be now so long dissolved" (Melville 1987).

http://www.medmerits.com/index.php/article/phantom_limb_pain/P1

web01

Random speculation:

The Ground Zeroes trailer features a disfigured man who seems to lead a group that can change and disguise their equipment (like removing the logo from the helicopter) quickly and easily. What if we're looking at the true face of Decoy Octopus? And now we've also got the theories running wild about Mantis being a part of the Phantom Pain trailer...

It's been speculated that Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are separate parts of the same game, so could we be looking at a story that revolves around the various FOXHOUND team members? Let’s take it a step further…

Remember the intro to MGS4? With the different television channels and ads for the various PMCs? What if MGSV is similar, and it’s actually a collection of five smaller games, each one telling the story of a member of FOXHOUND (with the exception of Revolver Ocelot) and playing in a different style? Ground Zeroes is the open world Metal Gear game, Phantom Pain as a sort of military horror game (something like F.E.A.R. but in the MGS style), and so on.

It’s MGSV, not MGS5. That is to say… maybe it’s not the fifth game in the Metal Gear Solid series, but a game about five stories all related to Metal Gear Solid?

...I really want that game that exists in my head now.

Woah that is an awesome idea but I do not give Kojima enough credit to come up with a something like that. Plus this is something that is not practical to make in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom