• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.
no i think its part of the main game, not final chapter. and definitely not a separate game either. doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective at all for it to be a game that releases after ground zeroes.

but none of it makes sense from a marketing perspective. This is a game they've already semi-publicly demoed and right now Konami has nothing to do with it. Do you see them turning round next week saying 'did you rike it?'

You have to beat the game on European Extreme to play the escape from hospital level.

The horror.

but none of it makes sense from a marketing perspective. This is a game they've already semi-publicly demoed and right now Konami has nothing to do with it. Do you see them turning round next week saying 'did you rike it?'

considering its the biggest reveal out of the VGAs, and everyone everywhere that follows this stuff knows that its MGS, i'd say its brilliant marketing.

luvcraft

Neo Member
I may be reading too much into things, but the Japanese word for "whale" is "kujira", which is fairly similar to "kojima", hence the "Moby Dick"...

Well I'd agree if this was the game's reveal, but they already had that in August. This is just weird.

no thats the point, its because of the earlier reveal we have greater conviction of it being MGS, beginning with the striking resemblance to big boss in the first reveal, as well the similarity in visuals. thats how we know its MGS ground zeroes and we don't really question that it could be some other non MGS game. it also ties in with the narrative theme of this segment of the game.

the whole investigating began because we got strong ground zeroes vibes. if we didn't have the earlier reveal, the most we might say is that the developers looked like they ripped off big boss art and appearance.

the whole investigating began because we got strong ground zeroes vibes. if we didn't have the earlier reveal, the most we might say is that the developers looked like they ripped off big boss art and appearance.

That sounds much more fun to be honest. 'everyone knows its MGS' is kind of boring.

Raonak

Banned
Just realised one of my favourite things about ground zeroes. The fact it's a direct sequel to peace walker, it makes it now interconnected to the series instead of being standalone, so hopefully more people will play it now.

earlier this year I was talking to my friend about which games being essential, and i said PW was more of a side story, doesn't really connect, so it can be skipped. but not anymore :)

I may be reading too much into things, but the Japanese word for "whale" is "kujira", which is fairly similar to "kojima", hence the "Moby Dick"...

I really think it's just US chasing the white whale. We are Captain Ahab and our maddening obsession is what is driving the pursuit to learn the things we've learned/will learn in this thread about the game...

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but if it hasn't, there's this quote about BB being in a coma in MGS.

Liquid Snake said:
Les enfants terribles... the terrible children. That's what the project was called. It started in the 1970's. Their plan was to artificially create the most powerful soldier possible. The person that they chose as the model was the man known then as the greatest living soldier in the world... But father was wounded in combat and already in a coma when they brought him in. So, they created us from his cells... with a combination of 20th century analog cloning and the Super Baby Method.

Salaadin

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but if it hasn't, there's this quote about BB being in a coma in MGS.

Unless theres some retconning going on, Les Enfants Terribles happened in 1972. Ground Zeroes and possibly Phantom Pain take place in 1974.
Or Phantom Pain is a flashback to LET.

Yes that scene was pretty damn brutal!

But are we sure he didn't have scars before that?

There's this conversation in MGS3, which was before he got tortured:

Snake: Where'd you get those cuts?

Eva: The colonel.

Snake: He found out?

Eva: If he knew, I'd be dead already. No, this is his "hobby." He's a sadist.
He gets pleasure out of making people suffer. He's scum... (Snake touches the
scars on her back) Does it look that strange to you?

Snake: No. I'm the same way, scars all over.

Eva: Can I see?

Snake: No.

Knight77

First of all compliments to every GAF detective here, great job!

It would be nice to "reassemble" the trailer in the correct order, I mean the video obviously.

Now if I am not wrong we know:

- the car crash happens as last, since they have the bandage and we can see pills flying

- the elevator kid part is followed by the explosion part (someone already posted this part connecting the two scenes in the correct order)

- the part in which they turn the body and we can see the face in theory is after the explosion but then...something must have happened otherwise how can they take the car/ambulance???

The other parts I still have to place them in time. Any help is well accepted.

Yes that scene was pretty damn brutal!

But are we sure he didn't have scars before that?

Anyway for now everything suggests it's set after MGS3.

I thought it was set after peace walker, they captured chico and paz as hostages in the ground zeroes trailer didn't they?

It would be nice to "reassemble" the trailer in the correct order, I mean the video obviously.

- the car crash happens as last, since they have the bandage and we can see pills flying

- the elevator kid part is followed by the explosion part (someone already posted this part connecting the two scenes in the correct order)

- the part in which they turn the body and we can see the face in theory is after the explosion but then...something must have happened otherwise how can they take the car/ambulance???

Now i didn't get to beat pw, but is there some way the kid near the elevator could be chico besides psycho mantis? The hair shows some resemblance from the gz trailer iirc. He also seems to not be wearing any shoes. Why was there increased security near the cell in the gz trailer?

Goon Boon

Banned

demolitio

If this turns out to be Fox Engine on Vita. You guys are gonna probably have BF's.

I could only dream that's what it is...

They really know how to get people interested in this though. I mean, I'm already interested in MGS5 obviously but this takes it to a new level of rewatching a trailer, lol.

Hmm, is there any specific reference to them being created in 1972? That's when the project was started, and according to PW they had 'two already' at the end of 1974, but I could see that retconned as turning out as unsuccessful until they tried a different method...

Edit: apparently according to the official timeline he was put in a coma while fighting in Vietnam in 1972. uh ok...

vid

Random speculation:

The Ground Zeroes trailer features a disfigured man who seems to lead a group that can change and disguise their equipment (like removing the logo from the helicopter) quickly and easily. What if we're looking at the true face of Decoy Octopus? And now we've also got the theories running wild about Mantis being a part of the Phantom Pain trailer...

It's been speculated that Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are separate parts of the same game, so could we be looking at a story that revolves around the various FOXHOUND team members? Let’s take it a step further…

Remember the intro to MGS4? With the different television channels and ads for the various PMCs? What if MGSV is similar, and it’s actually a collection of five smaller games, each one telling the story of a member of FOXHOUND (with the exception of Revolver Ocelot) and playing in a different style? Ground Zeroes is the open world Metal Gear game, Phantom Pain as a sort of military horror game (something like F.E.A.R. but in the MGS style), and so on.

It’s MGSV, not MGS5. That is to say… maybe it’s not the fifth game in the Metal Gear Solid series, but a game about five stories all related to Metal Gear Solid?

...I really want that game that exists in my head now.

Scarecrow

Can't you go shirtless for the 'naked' camo option in MGS3? Don't know if the ps2 model of Snake is that detailed to see scars, though.

Random speculation:

The Ground Zeroes trailer features a disfigured man who seems to lead a group that can change and disguise their equipment (like removing the logo from the helicopter) quickly and easily. What if we're looking at the true face of Decoy Octopus? And now we've also got the theories running wild about Mantis being a part of the Phantom Pain trailer...

It's been speculated that Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are separate parts of the same game, so could we be looking at a story that revolves around the various FOXHOUND team members? Let’s take it a step further…

Remember the intro to MGS4? With the different television channels and ads for the various PMCs? What if MGSV is similar, and it’s actually a collection of five smaller games, each one telling the story of a member of FOXHOUND (with the exception of Revolver Ocelot) and playing in a different style? Ground Zeroes is the open world Metal Gear game, Phantom Pain as a sort of military horror game (something like F.E.A.R. but in the MGS style), and so on.

It’s MGSV, not MGS5. That is to say… maybe it’s not the fifth game in the Metal Gear Solid series, but a game about five stories all related to Metal Gear Solid?

I think this is a pretty interesting idea. An anthology! Maybe you're on to something.

This is a terrific idea. An idea, I might say, worthy of Hideo Kojima.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Someone named DionisisZogaris on Twitter, I think he's a member who doesn't have his account approved, lives in Greece and said that the doctor's accent is spot on for Cyprus. Lots of Cyprus evidence building up and I thought I would pass it on since he took the time to track me down.

Can't you go shirtless for the 'naked' camo option in MGS3? Don't know if the ps2 model of Snake is that detailed to see scars, though.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, if i remember in the beginning of peace walker snake had a scar on his chest similar to the boss. I didn't see a chest scar in the trailer. Isn't this game supposed to take place after peace walker?

Edit: Nvm, disregard this msg.

Goon Boon

Banned
Don't know if this has been mentioned, if i remember in the beginning of peace walker snake had a scar on his chest similar to the boss. I didn't see a chest scar in the trailer. Isn't this game supposed to take place after peace walker?
naked_snake.jpg

Wasn't there a
jigsaw hidden in the scar? Maybe the jigsaw was even just the scar superglued or something to his chest

Raonak

Banned
naked_snake.jpg

Could be removed for the trailer, so it isn't too obvious. But I think it's just that phantom rain is a flashback to when BB was cloned inbetween MGS3 and PW.

Sky Chief

The whale eating the helicopter comes after the car crash, when we first see the helicopter you can see a vehicle upside down in the road.

Random speculation:

Wow, this is a fantastic idea.

Shit. I just realised that the Psycho Mantis-like character at the end of the trailer is seen to levitate into position, rather than just being there when the camera tilts up. You can see his/her feet lift up off the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom