• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman' Reboot - Who should play who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pau

God no. Keep Robins out of the movies.
Why do you want to keep the live action movies from having the one defining feature of the best Batman movie moment of all time? Return of the Joker:
Tim Drake killing Joker.

You know what would be cool? If the next Batman movie didn't cast all white folks for roles like Ra's, Talia, and Bane.

Wiktor

Why do you want to keep the live action movies from having the one defining feature of the best Batman movie moment of all time? Return of the Joker:
Tim Drake killing Joker.

You know what would be cool? If the next Batman movie didn't cast all white folks for roles like Ra's, Talia, and Bane.

Because that scene isn't enough to suffer with the ridiculousness Robin brings to Batman mythos. Plus you could just as well have that scene done with somebody who's just Wayne's protegee instead of Batman's.

Pau

Because that scene isn't enough to suffer with the ridiculousness Robin brings to Batman mythos. Plus you could just as well have that scene done with somebody who's just Wayne's protegee instead of Batman's.
I'm not too interested in a grounded Batman movie and I don't think Robin is much more ridiculous than a dude running around in a bat suit, but that's just me. But I do think one of the defining aspects of Bruce Wayne's character is that he's a father, so yeah, I'd agree that you could pull of an equally chilling scene if it's just one of his kids without them necessarily being a Robin.

Village

Ridiculousness?

Robin is the reason why we even have batman.

Also with out robin I wouldn't have red hood.

ALL OF THE ROBINS.

The concept of a kid sidekick is so inherently absurd that there's no way I could accept it onscreen in a live action film unless it's being played for laughs. And actually I WOULD like to see a campy comedy Batman movie as a break between grimdark Nolan Batman and whatever comes next. At least then it wouldn't be relentlessly compared to its predecessors. ASM feels really awkward being so similar and so soon after the original trilogy, I dread the same thing happening with Batman.

Village

The concept of a kid sidekick is so inherently absurd that there's no way I could accept it onscreen unless it's being played for laughs. And actually I WOULD like to see a campy comedy Batman movie as a break between grimdark Nolan Batman and whatever comes next. At least then it wouldn't be relentlessly compared to its predecessors.

The entire concept of batman is absurd.

I do not see your point.

The entire concept of batman is absurd.

I do not see your point.

A crazy vigilante millionaire taking the law into his own hands is an awesome concept, to me. Of course it's absurd but also psychologically very easy to lose yourself in and forget how nuts the premise is. The fantasy is easy to buy into and accept it for what it is, it's JUST grounded enough, and the character is JUST emotionally relatable enough. Being a millionaire even makes the practicality of it easier to swallow.

A crazy guy like that taking a kid on, now it's going too far and is just too funny for me to suspend my disbelief and lose myself in the world. It's just SO goofy, which is why it worked brilliantly in the campy 60s version.

It doesn't bother me so much in the comics, though all my favorite Batman are Robinless.

Wiktor

Ridiculousness?
Yes. Takig kid on missions like those is ridiculous. And turns Batman from Dark Knight into campy superhero. Not to mention that the whole reasons why Batman being human is tolerable is because he's genius and had insane training. Allowing some kid to hang out with him cheapens the whole concept and makes Batman no longer seem unique.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Karl Urban Batman

Dane Dehaan Robin

Russell Brand Joker

Ricky Gervais Penguin

Wayne Brady Riddler

Hugh Laurie Gordon

Village

A crazy vigilante millionaire taking the law into his own hands is an awesome concept, to me. Of course it's absurd but also psychologically very easy to lose yourself in and forget how nuts the premise is. The fantasy is easy to buy into and accept it for what it is.

A crazy guy like that taking a kid on, now it's going to far and is just too funny for me to suspend my disbelief and lose myself in the world. It's just SO goofy, which is why it worked brilliantly in the campy 60s version.

1) I think you severely under estimate robin

2) I am sorry suspention of disbelief? Do you know what this hypothetical movie is leading up to , The Effing justice league. The most absurd thing imaginable.

To quote and edit bob chipman

His team mates could be but are not limited to

Space jesus
character_bio_576_superman.jpg

Mars jesus

Mythical jesus

Amazonian jesus

Human sonic the hedgehog

Space cops

Super under water jesus

Frigging Jax from Mortal Kombat

And 2nd batman

I am sorry when did a rich guy taking some kid under his wing, because he didn't want to the kid to end up as deranged as he is , all of sudden become more absurd that the FLIPPING JUSTICE LEAGUE.

And also, you don't think some kid doesn't want to be robin, grow up and be cool like night wing or the red hood. You cannot just assume the who or what a person would loose themselves in .

I'd say do HUSH but that would never happen.

And thank god for that. Pretty art but the story was shit.

Anyway, love the calls for Karl Urban to take up the cowl. I think he'd do a great job.

I'm not sure what story they could do next, as Dark Knight Rises already fucked up a couple of my favourites (Broken Bat and No Mans Land).

Aiii

So not worth it
Lets hope they do not "reboot".

Just like with Spider-Man I do not need the origin story again. We know how Bruce Wayne became Batman, we know about Alfred, his parents, his fear of bats, all that stuff. We know.

Just make another Batman movie, it's okay if it's different, but for all that is holy, do not spend an hour of the new movie establishing the origin of Batman.

C4Lukins

I could see a Michael Shannon Batman. He is a little old if we are talking reboot.

Maybe Charlie Cox, he was the lead in Stardust and did a great job in Boardwalk Empire as well. Fassbender or Gosling could pull it off as well.

For Joker, Aaron Taylor Johnson maybe. He was Kick Ass and did a great job in Anna Karenina. He already has the voice for it at least. Edward Norton would be great, but he could also be Batman, or A young Gordon

Alfred.... Hard to beat Michael Caine. Gary Oldman would be great. Maybe an odd ball choice but I think serious Robin Williams or Dustin Hoffman would do a great job.

So to put this together into my first choices.

Batman... Edward Norton
Joker.... Aaron Taylor Johnson
Alfred.... Gary Oldman, or Anthony Hopkins
Gordon.... Michael Shannon

I can see John Hamm or Michael C Hall in the role.

But now I want Jensen Ackles, if only for the whole "I'm Batman" scene to be prophetic.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I always thought Paul Bettany would make an amazing Riddler.

ZoddGutts

Robin doesn't have to be a kid either someone who in he's late teens also having already been trained by Batman. Would be great to see a great dynamic buddy chemistry between Batman and Robin for the film. For people who hate Robin would you be fine if in the first movie had Robin die midway through the movie with Batman having to make a choice at the end to kill the Joker or not. Even better if it leads to Batman: Under the Red Hood adaptation for the third movie.

ReiGun

The Robins are one of the best parts of the Bat Universe. Dick, Damian, and Tim are more interesting and likable than Bruce, too.

Also, people are aware that Robin has been in his mid to late teens more often than not in the mythos. Don't know why everyone keeps acting like he's always a kid.

Bames

Neo Member
Let's all just stop kidding ourselves - Batman (and hopefully every other character) will be played by George Clooney.

bat_nipples.jpg

(Pictured: George Clooney)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom