• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March NPD Thread (The story? PS3 = weak, SW sales = insane)

Tabris

I have complete faith that Sony will pull ahead in the console race by January 2008.

499 price point, Metal Gear Solid 4 and a bunch of suprise announcements (Home, LBP, new games coming from first/third parties)

I've suffered through the PSP/DS thing for 2 years, I can wait a year longer for Nintendo fanboys to have their circle jerk until PS3 pulls ahead.

sonic4ever said:
All these features that the hardcore gamers love cost alot of money. I am pretty sure Sony doens't want to lose alot of money.

Sony to drop online gaming and start charging for web browsing, confirmed.

sonic4ever said:
MS ddin't like it either with the original X-box. That is why with the X-box 360, MS used more off the shelf parts.

Where can I buy a Xenos? My PC could really use an upgrade. Thanks.

Odysseus

Banned
Tabris said:
I have complete faith that Sony will pull ahead in the console race by January 2008.

499 price point, Metal Gear Solid 4 and a bunch of suprise announcements (Home, LBP, new games coming from first/third parties)

I've suffered through the PSP/DS thing for 2 years, I can wait a year longer for Nintendo fanboys to have their circle jerk until PS3 pulls ahead.

january 2008, huh?

ghaleoneb, add this one to your bookmarks.

Tabris said:

I said wow.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Tabris said:

:lol :lol

(wait, you're serious?)

Tabris said:

It's gonna have to take a lot more than what you listed.

Tabris said:

January 2008? You can have faith in Sony to deliver blah, blah, blah, whatever, but you need to have faith in math, as well. It's not practically possible.

I'm not just spouting internet nonsense, and I don't give a shit about the Wii yet -- Lord knows it will be a while till I plop down the money for one. I'm trying to ask you as one human being to another, how can you possibly expect this? There are only 8 months left in the year. Give me some sample sale numbers that will allow for your prediction.

Mooreberg

Oh yeah congrats to the Santa Monica studio fellas, the game deserves those numbers.

I also have no doubt that PS2 will continue to sell well. But yeah, somebody has to be getting the message at Sony and Microsoft: d r o p t h e p r i c e s

Norse

blu ray space is only really neded for games that have tons of cgi movies....FF series, type games...and if you listen to mp3's from an ipod all day, compressed audio is fine for gaming.

Here's a ? for those asking sony for a price cut.... Now that the 20 gig ps3 is gone in NA, wouldnt sony lose mor money on ps3 by lowering the price than if they had kept 20 gig over 60?

The 20 gig model lowered to 399 would lose the alot less than 399 60 gig model. If they lower the price now, financially they killed the wrong ps3. They should have killed the 60 gig and just sold a larger hdd seperately and wireless network as well.

rkenshin

Tabris said:

I think Sony needs way more time than that to play catch up and stop losing more exclusives to the 360 (with games going multiplatform)

zoku88

Tabris said:

delusionsrj3.jpg

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Tabris said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

If MS doesn't want to price drop, they should at least make some official bundles or something

Add a 64MB memory card and HD cables to Core system. Make it less tard-y, lol

Add PGR3 or Kameo or something to all SKUs.

I know individual retailers have made their own bundles before, but if MS themselves could put out official advertisements ("every purchase gets you a free game! everything you need to play awesome HD games is in every box!") that might actually help a bit, and would probably be a minimal hit to them. I doubt PGR3 or Kameo are currently tearing up the charts anyway. And if they really wanna cheap out, they can just make a black/white manual and put the game in a paper sleeve, haha. And with the 512MB memory card coming out, they need a job for the 64MB one. So sweeten up the Core a bit.

They're not going to magically sell 500K+ a month or anything, but going by my anecdotal evidence from working at gamestop, people love "free" games with their system no matter how shitty :lol . Might squeak out a few extra sales and help get rid of the "expensive" stigma without doing a "real" price drop.

(they still should price drop later this year though)

jko

wow @ PS2 beating all the next-gen consoles.
this really reminds me of the GBA outselling both the DS and PSP in the early stages...the only difference i see here is that the PS2 sales will transition to a different brand next-gen machine....namely the Wii.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Tabris said:

zallaaa

DS is so freaking insane! I can't wait to see next month numbers with the coming of Pokemon , it will be THE MONTH!

Speevy

Banned
:lol

The PS3 better start outselling the 360 and/or Wii, and NOW if Sony wishes to make that January 08 deadline.

Link

The Autumn Wind
We can only hope that at this point, Tabris' posts are just parody. If not, then God help us all.

Mooreberg

Norse said:
Here's a ? for those asking sony for a price cut.... Now that the 20 gig ps3 is gone in NA, wouldnt sony lose mor money on ps3 by lowering the price than if they had kept 20 gig over 60?

I know a lot of people here like to operate from a standpoint of being employees rather than customers but is that really our problem?

Gaming must be fun when you get excited by stuff that is either overpriced, underpowered, or a complete mockery of your hobby. Remember what systems were priced like back in 2002 (roughly 18 months into that hardware cycle, omitting BombCast) and the games that were out? It didn't used to be this much of a joke.

Brak

Link said:
We can only hope that at this point, Tabris' posts are just parody. If not, then God help us all.
He's just trying to draw out the non-believers so he knows who must be punished when the PS3 rapture comes.

zoku88

Brak said:
He's just trying to draw out the non-believers so he knows who must be punished when the PS3 rapture comes.
I'm guessing that console war agnostics count as non-believers, too. Man, that's going to suck for me :(

Duke Togo

Is there any other industry where rival company supporters rub sales figures in each other's faces? Imagine, for a moment, a message board where car enthusiasts attack one another after every quarterly earnings report. "Ford am doomed":lol

JoeFenix

Soooo, Ps3 is going to sell 1.5 million units each month?

I expect 360 to be at minimum 15 million by January 08 and that's being stupidly conservative. How the hell is that even possible?

T'was a good dream though! :lol

Speevy

Banned
The PS3 is like an angry polar bear. Yeah, it may be able to eat you. And yeah, it can withstand the cold. But if it keeps allowing itself to be buried under mounds of snow, eventually the thing's just going to die.

The full statement from SCEA follows said:
"According to NPD data, March 2007 showed a 24% increase in retail dollars generated year-over-year for the PlayStation brand in North America with total sales of $447 million, due in part to the addition of the PS3 platform as well as the strong launch performance of God of War II for PS2 at retail. While PS3 saw a month-over-month increase of 2% with sales of 129,638 units, we continued to find ourselves supply constrained in March due primarily to the shift in manufacturing focus to the PS3 PAL version to support the launch of the system in Europe. PSP also witnessed gains in March, up 2% over February with sales of 179,796 units. The price of the PSP Core system was dropped from $199 to $169 in early April, which has received very positive retailer and consumer response. PS2 continued to be a strong performer in March, with unit sales of 279,866. On the software front, we were pleased to see sales increases from February for both the PSP and PS2. PS2 software showed a 29% increase with the launch of God of War II and PSP software demonstrated a 13% jump."
I'll say it . . . the PS3 is doomed. They are flat out lying now.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Tabris said:

Did you get that internship at Wedbush Morgan? They could use someone with fine prognostication skills such as yourself.

JoeFenix

duketogo88 said:
Is there any other industry where rival company supporters rub sales figures in each other's faces? Imagine, for a moment, a message board where car enthusiasts attack one another after every quarterly earnings report. "Ford am doomed":lol

Programmers have ****ing coding language wars. So yes, i can imagine.

C++ all the way bitches!

PS2 has the same advantage as GBA - It's a fantastic, cost effective console for kids (with a smattering of adults playing catch-up in there too).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Speevy said:
But if it keeps allowing itself to be buried mounds of snow, eventually the thing's just going to die.
What are the missing words that will make sense of this?!?

Borys

Banned
PS2 is just a ****ing beast. I have a feeling 360 will NEVER outsell it in one month :O It should happen in the last 18 months the 360 is on the market but it didn't.

PS2 is a beast.

PS3 is a sore loser.

USD

TheDrowningMan said:
PS2 has the same advantage as GBA - It's a fantastic, cost effective console for kids (with a smattering of adults playing catch-up in there too).
Yeah, GBA was at this phase pretty much from around the release of the DS up to the release of the DS Lite. Selling out the next-gen handhelds despite the fact it had no flow of major games (though licensed stuff sells a shit ton on GBA, mostly because of the kids). And with PS2's swan song out of the way, other than multiplat games and a few late comers, PS2 software development is pretty much dead. But that won't stop it from selling well. Plus it still has a price drop left in it, though with how well it's selling in the US and the PS3's situation I don't except to see it anytime soon.

And goddamm the PS3 depresses me far more than it should.

Borys said:
PS2 is just a ****ing beast. I have a feeling 360 will NEVER outsell it in one month :O It should happen in the last 18 months the 360 is on the market but it didn't.

It did happen one month, I believe, last April, when 360 was no longer supply constrained for the first time, but after that it was back to business.

Speevy

Banned
Borys said:

PS2 is a beast.

PS3 is a sore loser.

The 360 has outsold the PS2 once.

Duke Togo

JoeFenix said:
Programmers have ****ing coding language wars. So yes, i can imagine.

C++ all the way bitches!
:lol Really? I guess its just human nature. I'm relatively new around here, and this is only my 2nd NPD thread. It just never ceases to amaze me at some of the responses....thats the magic of NeoGAF I suppose.

Top Bottom