• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnyram

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I've played a bunch of ten-player Saturn Bomberman, and honestly I prefer the eight-player modes. But hey, the more options the better.
It must have ten players, and it must have the most stable net code on XBLA to date too if anyone ever wants to play with those numbers ;) I imagine one of the achievments would be "Hi-ten". They should have special high res boards for 720p players!

I played some single player Double Dragon tonight. It has a little slowdown, not excuseable given the platform but makes it a little authentic.

My main impression was being forceably reminded of how cheap gameplay design used to be. As you get tossed to and fro by the black giant dude [Adobo?] you can just feel the game reaching for more of your quarters.

At 400 points not awful but not a bargain by any means--or a well-made game. Much better deal for those of us who actually remember searching out arcades for the original, when it was new.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Having completed TMNT Arcade and Double Dragon, its become obvious to me that these 80s beat-em ups were optimized for maximum quarter intake from kids. The deaths are so cheap.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I love the name Sega Vintage Collection.

That is pure awesomeness!

Another update on the Sega Screen Shots, this time according to Kotaku they were able contact Sega and they have stated that those shots have not come from them and thus the myth has been busted.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/phony/rumor-smash-sega-vintage-screens-259189.php

And even MORE contradiction is contained in the comments section.

AwShucks says:

I can't prove how I can vouch for this (NDA and/or losing my job reasons), but I'll say it anyways. After booting up the game on PartnerNet, while the screens shown are different than what it actually looks like, the typo IS there. I could only prove this with a screen or some proof that I have access to this, and I am not risking my job by doing that.

xblarcade

I'm not really sure that the comment Sega made is meant to deny that the game exists, but rather that its not official because it didn't come from them.

Could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time :)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
xblarcade said:
I'm not really sure that the comment Sega made is meant to deny that the game exists, but rather that its not official because it didn't come from them.

Could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time :)

Different sites are saying different things, IGN XBOX 360 said that the orginal site the official site of Sega Netherlands, Kotaku here is stating that the screenshots are not thiers and Mr. Comments guy is saying the Sonic game is on the Partnernet, looks somewhat different, but that god awful typo is there.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Bearillusion said:
I've completed it on single player and the framerate was fine. Worth the purchase for me.

Same here. BUT the game does have slowdown. Didn't the arcade version have it too?

Lyte Edge said:
Same here. BUT the game does have slowdown. Didn't the arcade version have it too?

Not to the extent you get from co-op in the XBLA version. Didn't bother me too much though.

Double Dragon 2 arcade was the king of slowdown though. You had to throw the weapons offscreen to stop the game from being a slideshow.

Coin Return said:
Having completed TMNT Arcade and Double Dragon, its become obvious to me that these 80s beat-em ups were optimized for maximum quarter intake from kids. The deaths are so cheap.

I easily made it to the last level without continuing on my first go.

They were right about the elbow in Double Dragon. Damn that move is a beast.
And yeah the game is pretty much crap. There's slowdown all over the place, it's cheap and busted as all hell(gotta elbow through everything ugh), and well it's a beatemup from the 80s. I think the only truly great beatemup of the 80s was Konami's Vendetta, which could be considered a sequel to Crime Fighters. Basically it features better graphics, more moves, more fun, and bunches of other good things. Then again that probably came out in the early 90s so there went that..meh.

It would be nice if there was a River City Ransom game for XBLA. Kick the player count up to four, make it take much longer to max out your character, pretty much include all of the options from the newer GBA game(character customization, more moves, better framerate). Yeah I'd be all over that.

I think the situation for good beatemups on XBLA is pretty depressing. Capcom is too tied up in licensing issues to release their best games(C&D, AvP, ToD/SoM) and the other ones are too obscure to even consider. Sega is too incompetent(Revenge of Death Adder would be excellent, same with SoR 2 or 3jp, hell just making SpikeOut Xtreme BC with better netcode would be nice...but we'll get none of that, probably get Golden Axe 1 and SoR 1 ugh ugh ugh). Konami's games are too simplistic and most will only see a release if there's a good movie tie-in(Hey guys when is Xmen 4 the movie due?). SNK has a handful of nice beatemups but their XBLA support will probably be limited to older titles and chances are they'll all be fighters anyway. There's a ton of great beatemups by no-name developers but good luck ever seeing those and well so on and so forth.

Other than that..dunno. I guess Castle Crashers should be good.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Shame about that IGN review. He didn't touch on achievements, which were well done in the game. If you try to get all the achievements, you will play through the game multiple times in slightly different ways. In single player, I only saw slowdown when there were 4 enemies onscreen. This happened at the conveyor belt/elevator in level 2 and at the end of level 4. Not game-breaking to me. I haven't played co-op on Xbox Live, but I did try co-op with a second controller, and the slowdown was worse, but not unplayable bad. I think it's well worth five bucks, if only for the epic music in the final boss fight.

Brakara

PepsimanVsJoe said:
There's slowdown all over the place, it's cheap and busted as all hell(gotta elbow through everything ugh), and well it's a beatemup from the 80s.

Which is why I love it. :D

God knows how many coins I pumped into the arcade game 20 years ago (or so).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Time for some more updates to the XBLA.

Sega shows up again today, but not in a good way, as they seek to bring licensed dreck to the service, the announcement via PR.

SEGA ANNOUNCES HAPPY TREE FRIENDS FALSE ALARM FOR PC AND XBOX LIVE ARCADE

Game will be Based on the Animated, International, Multi-platform Franchise from Mondo Media

SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd. today announced an exclusive agreement with the award-winning production studio, Mondo Media, to create video game content based on the popular animated series, Happy Tree Friends™. Currently under development by Stainless Studios, Happy Tree Friends False Alarm™ is scheduled for release via digital download on PC and Microsoft’s Xbox LIVE® Arcade in Fall 2007.

"We are excited to be partnering with Mondo Media to bring the irreverent comedy of the Happy Tree Friends to gamers worldwide,” said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Marketing, SEGA of America, Inc. "The dark humor and twisted characters of Happy Tree Friends will act as a great foundation for creating a fun and entertaining universe for gamers and fans of the show alike.”

Happy Tree Friends is a wildly popular Internet phenomenon that debuted as a television series on G4 TV in the U.S. and on MTV in key markets overseas. Selling over one million DVD copies worldwide, Happy Tree Friends continues to thrill audiences online and maintains its position as a top ten most downloaded podcast on iTunes.

Now taking the spotlight with its very own interactive game, Happy Tree Friends False Alarm features the furry woodland creatures in a host of dismembering and ill-fated calamities.

Playing unlike any other action title on the market with its physics-based reactive environment, Happy Tree Friends False Alarm is an action-puzzle game that enables players to control one of three characters; Flippy, the emotionally tattered war-torn bear; Lumpy, the dim-witted blue moose; and Handy, an amputee beaver carpenter always eager to lend a helping limb. Using resources such as concrete, ice, gasoline, and nitroglycerin to augment the dynamic 3D environments, your goal is to save the Happy Tree Friends from hilarious disaster situations and their own bad luck. Play in 10 diverse levels designed exclusively for the Happy Tree Friends False Alarm game including mine shafts, candy factories and a museum, all of which are filled with outrageous outcomes and plenty of accidental mayhem!

“Sega is a perfect partner for us because of their rich tradition of creating compelling, character-based games, and true to form they’re developing a truly original game that we think our fans will love,” said Kenn Navarro, the creator of Happy Tree Friends.

The dev being cited for Happy Tree Friends is no stranger to the XBLA, it is Stainless Games according to the Gamespot.

Also, our friends of this thread over at XBLA have part 2 of their in-depth preview of Street Trace: NYC up, this time detailing single-player.
http://www.xblarcade.com/node/579

Let me see, IGN XBOX 360 has a new preview up as well as new screenshots of Wing Commander: Arena

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/786/786964p1.html

Finally, at least for now, first screenshots of Puzzle Quest XBLA from IGN XBOX 360.

puzzle-quest-challenge-of-the-warlords-20070510012350984.jpg

puzzle-quest-challenge-of-the-warlords-20070510012354937.jpg

puzzle-quest-challenge-of-the-warlords-20070510012355984.jpg

puzzle-quest-challenge-of-the-warlords-20070510012356999.jpg

puzzle-quest-challenge-of-the-warlords-20070510012358093.jpg

puzzle-quest-challenge-of-the-warlords-20070510012401155.jpg

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I think the only truly great beatemup of the 80s was Konami's Vendetta, which could be considered a sequel to Crime Fighters.....Then again that probably came out in the early 90s so there went that..meh.

Well in Japan it was called Crime Fighters 2 so....And yeah, it came out in 91.

I agree it's a truly excellent game. There was a 3rd game in the series called Violent Storm. It's more Final Fight-ish and not as good as Vendetta but still worth your time.

aku:jiki

PepsimanVsJoe said:
And yeah the game is pretty much crap.
Yeah, seriously. This is the first time I really revisit the DD franchise since way back when, and I'm shocked to find out that something I loved so much is just so bad. It really is horrendous.

I can't be the only one who has a hell of a time even getting the game to let me do an elbow smash, can I? No matter what I map my buttons to (to make sure it isn't just worn out buttons my controller), about 40% of the time, the dumbass character will do a jump kick or a punch into the air instead of the elbow. It's seriously frustrating and annoying as hell.

Shard said:
it is Stainless Games according to the Gamespot.
So, then, total crap confirmed? Nah, that's unfair. Maybe it'll be just as awesome as Novadrome and Crystal Quest...

What happened to keeping track of the level of quality on your service, MS? Stop allowing Stainless games, please. And tell Digital Eclipse to shape the hell up while you're at it.

And speaking of crap, you guys should be careful about looking forward to Street Trace. It doesn't just look like Trickstyle, it's just as bad too.

Rlan

aku:jiki said:
So, then, total crap confirmed? Nah, that's unfair. Maybe it'll be just as awesome as Novadrome and Crystal Quest...

What happened to keeping track of the level of quality on your service, MS? Stop allowing Stainless games, please. And tell Digital Eclipse to shape the hell up while you're at it.

Their arcade updates haven't been flash, but hopefully a game with some thought into it like this game will be better.

And speaking of crap, you guys should be careful about looking forward to Street Trace. It doesn't just look like Trickstyle, it's just as bad too.

Trickstyle at least had a nice futuristic style to it, Street Trace is browning it up instead.

DeadCell

Considering my undying love for Trickstyle, I couldn't be any happier with what you just said.

Any word on its release date yet?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
DeadCell said:
Considering my undying love for Trickstyle, I couldn't be any happier with what you just said.

Any word on its release date yet?

Soon is the only word that comes to mind.

pr0cs

I was initially sort of turned off the Japanese-y look and feel of Puzzle Quest but after trying the demo I thought it was actually pretty fun.
Seems to round out the arcade really and I guess I'm disappointed I bought Bejewelled since the games are so similar.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/05/11/545087.aspx

Soltrio Solitaire comes to XBLA!

Soltrio Solitaire will be available worldwide – with the exception of Korea – for 800 Microsoft Points on Wednesday, May 16th, and is rated E for Everyone.

Here are some of the game features:

* Two-player multiplayer via system link or over Xbox LIVE
* Xbox LIVE Vision camera support, making multiplayer solitaire an engaging social experience
* In two-player mode, two games take place at the same time, and both players share the same foundation piles, prompting a fight over the piles in the race to win the game
* In co-op mode, players work together to attempt to finish the game with the best score possible, and players also have the ability to pass cards to each other
* Create new cards when you unlock card elements, show them off to your friends and customize your own decks!
* Earn up to 12 Achievements and 200 Gamerscore points

More information can be found in our media alert and at http://www.xbox.com/games/livearcade.

Bomberman on Xbox Live Arcade = real, by the way. First screens can be found here.

Features:
- Developed by Backbone Entertainment
- Offline multiplayer up to 4 players (NO System Link)
- Up to 8 people can play over Xbox Live
- Official tournaments each month
- Customizable Bombermen (according to PR: 10,000 possibilities)
- Power-ups also customizable
- 8 different arena's
- No price revealed yet
- DLC planned (see below)
- Movies underway (BlimBlim?)
- Will be released mid June

Screens can be found here.

bomberman-live-02.jpg

Add-on packs written in the press release:

First pack (30 days after LIVE date):
- 1 New Game Mode - Most Frags Mode
- 2 arenas – Air Ship, and a Las Vegas Level
- 10 new characters
- 5 Gamer Pics
- 1 Theme

Second pack (60 days after LIVE date):
- Bomb Shelters
- 10 new characters
- 2 arenas -- Race Level, and an Dreamland Level
- 5 Gamer Pics
- 1 Theme

Third pack (90 days after LIVE date):
- 2 new arenas Candy World & Inferno
- 10 new characters
- 5 Gamer Pics
- 1 Theme

Achievements:

Paint the town red!
Win a Zombie match in Local Play against 2+ computer players - 10 points

The Name's Bomb, Dangerous Bomb
Take out 3 CPU players at once in a Local game - 10 points

Exterminator
Win 15 Local matches against 3+ CPU players - 10 points

Totally Bombed!
Win a Local match against 3+ CPU players after being in a Super Revenge Cart - 10 points

Completely Unstoppable!
Remain undefeated for five consecutive 4+ player Xbox Live games - 10 points

You die so good!
Score 25 Frags in an Xbox Live Match in Most Frags mode - 15 points

The Bomb!
Win 30 Xbox Live games - 15 points

Joy of Painting with Bomberman
Claim 130 or more tiles in a Local Zombie match against 3+ CPU players - 20 points

The Good, The Bad and The Bombed
With the full cowboy outfit, Frag another cowboy in an Xbox Live match - 20 points

Girl Power!
With a full female outfit win an Xbox Live 4+ player girl only match - 25 points

Did I just win…AGAIN?!
Go on a winning rampage and win 10 consecutive matches in a Ranked Tournament - 25 points

EXTREME MAKEOVER!
Collect 60 Costume Balls - 30 points

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Nicked from the Soltrio Solitarie Thread.

According to Kenshin on the SA forums, this was up on Gamerscoreblog earlier as well, but has since been pulled. Judging by the date, it was posted a couple of days early by accident:

Quote:
Xbox LIVE Arcade Intern Project Game “Aegis Wing” Launches This Week as Free Gift to Gamers

REDMOND, Wash. — May 14, 2007 — This Wednesday, team up with up to three of your friends and prepare yourselves for intense side-scrolling, sci-fi shooting action in “Aegis Wing.” Originally conceived by three Microsoft Corp. interns over the course of a summer, “Aegis Wing” will be available for free to all Xbox LIVE® Silver and Gold members in North America for a limited time. “Aegis Wing” will be available for download on Xbox LIVE Arcade for Xbox 360™ beginning Wednesday, May 16, at 2 a.m. PDT.

“Aegis Wing” is a 2-D side-scrolling space shooter that combines epic space combat with fantastic visuals, and is set to a rich symphonic soundtrack. It is set in the year 2105, when humanity must flee a dying Earth for the distant world Europa. But this new home is soon threatened by a powerful alien race, the Araxia. With stolen Araxian technology, the Europa fleet develops an experimental star fighter and assigns four ace pilots to test it. The Aegis Wing is born, and it becomes your mission to wield this new technology as humanity’s last hope for survival.

Up to four players can play together either locally or over Xbox LIVE to defeat waves of nefarious Araxian ships and bosses, and can even combine spacecraft in two-, three- or four-ship formations to access powerful Super Weapons.

“Aegis Wing” was originally conceived by three students – Scott Brodie, Danny Dyer and Matt Monson –during a summer internship at Xbox LIVE Arcade. The students worked in tandem with Carbonated Games – the creators of fan-favorite, UNO® – to bring the game to the Xbox LIVE Arcade community. The full version of “Aegis Wing” is being released on Xbox LIVE Arcade free of charge and will be available for a limited time.

Game Features

Game features include the following:

· Amazing environmental art

· Full symphonic soundtrack

· Up to four-player simultaneous cooperative multiplayer gameplay, either locally on the same Xbox 360 console or over Xbox LIVE*

· Ability to attach your ship to your wingmen’s spacecraft to gain the “turret” ability and increase the firepower of the Super Weapons

· Four Super Weapons: the Hades Beam (wreaks total destruction), the Gorgon Burst (wipes out incoming fire and disables enemy spacecraft with an electromagnetic pulse), the Arcus Missile (a heat-seeking missile) and the Lambda Shield (deflects incoming fire back at enemies)

· Six epic missions and several memorable boss encounters to fight through

Where Can I Get It?

You can download “Aegis Wing” beginning Wednesday, May 16, at 2 a.m. PDT on Xbox LIVE Arcade. “Aegis Wing” will be available for download in North America only. “Aegis Wing” is rated E for Everyone, with Mild Fantasy Violence. More information is available at http://www.xbox.com/games/livearcade.

aku:jiki

So, the PR being pulled means no Aegis Wing on wednesday? Too bad -- then again, my XBLA backlog is growing and growing. There needs to be another draught soon!

Bomberman looks very nice as well. Not a huge fan of the pre-rendered artstyle but whatever. Looks like good, classic Bomberman in the best of ways.

(Too bad about the achievements though. What the hell is wrong with devs thinking we're going to spend hours playing games like Catan, Worms and Bomberman offline?! If anybody buys those games to play them alone, they deserve not being able to get any acheivements for being dumb and weird.)

Gowans007 said:
I am all for the above but 800 points for Solitare seems a wee bit heavy, it looks pretty and I dont know about all the modes they may have added but when I hear "800 points for solitaire" I cringe.
My god you people are so insanely cheap when it comes to XBLA games, it's not even funny. :lol

$10 for the like dozens of hours you'll get out of Soltrio is nothing. It's a pretty jam-packed game from what I saw and I'm totally looking forward to it. It is, of course, not just a straight up solitaire game like the ones on iPods or something. It has a cute little 'adventure mode' that you travel through and perform solitaire-based tasks and such.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So, the PR being pulled means no Aegis Wing on wednesday? Too bad -- then again, my XBLA backlog is growing and growing. There needs to be another draught soon!

I think it means...nothing. The PR was posted early it seems since it's dated May 14th. I think someone screwed up and posted it early.

Gowans

My god you people are so insanely cheap when it comes to XBLA games, it's not even funny. :lol

Let me reiterate my point,
I cannot comment on this game as I know nothing about it and its extended features etc. so its on the wait till the demo pile, but when I think of Solitaire I think of the free on on my laptop im using right now or a pack of cards so when its boiled down into the simple line "Solitaire on XBLA for 800points" I cringe as its alot.

Now if this added enough features and extras to warrant 800points then no problem but that is yet to be seen as I know nothing about the game :D :D :D

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
virtuafightermaster said:
Sonic is not even an arcade game, it doesnt fit in XBLA.

Bring on more fighting games please, capcom and snk, Guilty Gear would be nice.
not the biggest leaf on the branch, are ya?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gowans007 said:
card/board games on XBLA
Online Play
Vision Support

I am all for the above but 800 points for Solitare seems a wee bit heavy, it looks pretty and I dont know about all the modes they may have added but when I hear "800 points for solitaire" I cringe.

Or paying 20$ for 18 different versions of solitaire.

The Aegis Wing game sounds pretty cool. But why is it US only? Being European (In the UK to be exact), I just find it annoying that a "Free gift to gamers" doesn't include us either. Make it happen Microsoft! :(

Random 42

As much as I enjoy the traditional bomberman gameplay, I think I enjoyed bomberman 64 multiplayer more.

The customisation is a good idea to expand the game a bit. Odd there won't be a level editor...

Stoo

steverulez said:
The Aegis Wing game sounds pretty cool. But why is it US only? Being European (In the UK to be exact), I just find it annoying that a "Free gift to gamers" doesn't include us either. Make it happen Microsoft! :(
Exactly. I'm intrigued to hear their reasoning behind this as unlike the video marketplace stuff, this is internally-produced and licensing should not be an issue.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Top Arcade Titles (Full Versions)
1 Double Dragon
2 Catan
3 Pinball FX
4 3D Ultra™ Minigolf Adventures
5 TMNT 1989 Arcade
6 Centipede & Millipede
7 Worms
8 UNO
9 Castlevania: SOTN
10 Boom Boom Rocket

XBLA Titles on the Xbox 360 Top Live Titles (UU’s)
7 Catan
9 Pinball FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom