• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

swear during skype call on Xbox One: go right ahead. You won't be banned for that.

Andrax

Banned
Is this anything to do with the same technology they patented that could show adverts based on conversations in the room?

Anion

Im actually somewhat okay with this (after the updates in the OP). Since the only way you can swear in the video is through the commentary you put after DVRing it. Also, the last thing I want is some dude bro swearing on the top of his lungs...as a family member walks by (and knowing my luck, that is the only time they will walk by)

Why? It is still swearing.

Also, GTA (for example) has had several dicks in it. And tits.

God of War has had tits (not an Xbox franchise, I know). So the games can have them, but we can't? That's a bit of a silly contradiction. Not that i'm looking for nudity on twitch. Rather, I'm asking the question who is the person determining what is "art" and what isn't.

JustinMay

Banned
What if you swore over it?

For the moment, a suspension. It's extremely likely that parental controls/video filtering based on DOB will be implemented at some point, at which point it'll be ok to curse.

God of War has had tits (not an Xbox franchise, I know). So the games can have them, but we can't? That's a bit of a silly contradiction. Not that i'm looking for nudity on twitch. Rather, I'm asking the question who is the person determining what is "art" and what isn't.

It's not about art, it's about what's on the tin. There is no expectation on the part of the user to hear racist shit when they select a Video on Upload. When/If parental controls/content warnings/etc are implemented, that will change.

Imtey

Banned
EdHumj9.jpg

oh my fucking god im dying

did you make this?

Phades

No. If it is content from the game itself, all is well.
That is just a teeny bit on the side of hypocrisy.

The message being sent is "We don't want to offend folks with what other people think. But, we are going to offend them anyway with the in game offerings of the same things."

Things being published online should have a review process and be flagged for removal in order to avoid potential problems, but there should also be a single set of standards for it. Also, arbitrarially not allowing for age approrpiate content to be viewed in the first place, considering the online requirements that are tied to accounts and login IDS, is a bit bass end akwards don't you think?

That content is covered by the ESRB rating.

ESRB ratings are not covered by online interactions. That specific disclaimer is on everything...

Agreed. It is just a slippery slope is all. When you start banning people for offensive speech you are heading into difficult territory, one that is increasingly difficult to moderate. What is considered offense or profane to one individual is completely acceptable to another. I'm not talking about your typical cursing.

It's not about art, it's about what's on the tin. There is no expectation on the part of the user to hear racist shit when they load a Video on Upload. When/If parental controls/content warnings/etc are implemented, that will change.

I would, quite honestly, pull the service until these rules are figured out. Like, I can't swear in a live stream when the game itself is full of profanity!? That's a bit silly.

Agreed. It is just a slippery slope is all. When you start banning people for offensive speech you are heading into difficult territory, one that is increasingly difficult to moderate. What is considered offense or profane to one individual is completely acceptable to another. I'm not talking about your typical cursing.

Yeah, hate speech I agree with. Although, lately anyone can be offended by anything. So, even those lines become slightly blurred. Like, if I laugh at Duke Nukem saying "Shake it, baby" as he throws money at a stripper, someone could flag me as being sexist, could they not? Or what if someone wanted to make a character like the Bro Team, guy. I find that funny, but it's clearly an act. Who is going to determine what's funny vs. what's not funny.

Yeah, the more I look at that screenshot in the OP the funnier it is... hahaha.

Oh, PS Microsoft: this was another PR FUCK up. But you already know that.

JustinMay

Banned
I would, quite honestly, pull the service until these rules are figured out. Like, I can't swear in a live stream when the game itself is full of profanity!? That's a bit silly.

You can swear in a stream on Twitch or whatever. You can't in Upload. It's silly, but it's Live. There is no magic bullet here. You got users lying about their age, you got racism and dicks and shit no one wants to see ever, and you got normal people cursing in videos of M rated games.

Really, Kinect should just look at your face, determine your age, and use that to allow users to watch profane videos. Short of the privacy concerns, that seems like the best option.

Steel

Banned
its not even that. clips can be "reported" by the community. too many bad reports and they take a closer look. that's all there is to it

Pretty sure that these people were banned too quickly for that to be the case. And one curse word generally doesn't equal a ton of flags generally. My guess it's auto-detected. But you might be right. Need more information.

JustinMay

Banned
Pretty sure that these people were banned too quickly for that to be the case. And one curse word generally doesn't equal a ton of flags generally. My guess it's auto-detected. But you might be right. Need more information.

It's likely the video the guy uploaded was the most retarded bullshit anyone could imagine. Calling Riley a nigger or something. No one reports videos just for a curse or two, and the Enforcement Team doesn't have the human bandwidth to watch every video uploaded.

So my money is on him having called Riley a nigger.

oh, and there is no auto-detection system yet.

You can swear in a stream on Twitch or whatever. You can't in Upload. It's silly, but it's Live. There is no magic bullet here. You got users lying about their age, you got racism and dicks and shit no one wants to see ever, and you got normal people cursing in videos of M rated games.

Really, Kinect should just look at your face, determine your age, and use that to allow users to watch profane videos. Short of the privacy concerns, that seems like the best option.

Ah, okay, sorry, I didn't catch that part.

Still, no swearing on Upload... that's brutal. And this coming from a console that's trying to sell it self to edgy and cool 30 year olds who play Gears of War and Ryse. Then again, its not like Microsoft hasn't had a problem with mixed messages in the past.

Foul language is A-OK if it can be monetized.

Makes sense though. Games have age ratings and presumably you could block videos of certain titles through that mechanism.

A game like Forza however, much harder to moderate someone swearing over a video (unless you want to go down the route of Kinect picking up swear words and automatically categorise it).

Steel

Banned
It's likely the video the guy uploaded was the most retarded bullshit anyone could imagine. Calling Riley a nigger or something. No one reports videos just for a curse or two, and the Enforcement Team doesn't have the human bandwidth to watch every video uploaded.

So my money is on him having called Riley a nigger.

oh, and there is no auto-detection system yet.

Oh, there is no auto-detection system? Source? Kinda figured that the whole point of kinect was to detect words. And this isn't just one person who was 24 hour banned btw.

Phades

You got users lying about their age
Then they would have no room to complain. You can't parent for them. I mean really, they buy a M rated game, but then get offended by someone using salty commentary with an M rated game feed and all of a sudden it is a problem now? That is just amusing, it as if they never heard a kid playing call of duty online....

Sure nudity and hate speech need to get weeded out, but just bricking the console seems a bit harsh.

The amount of gaffers who ran hard with this with out questioning it scares me.

They ran with it even though I posted a corrected article on like page 2. They wanted to run with it and ignore common sense.

That said, I think MS and Sony have some progress to make here. Tagging and moderation will be required. Just look at the drunken PS4 Twitch video for proof.

rrs

I thought this was some funny shop, but it it being real is even funnier. Amyways, said user got banned from live for a recorded clip with naughtyness seems to walk on a edge of pain and misery.

JustinMay

Banned
Oh, there is no auto-detection system? Source? Kinda figured that the whole point of kinect was to detect words. And this isn't just one person who was 24 hour banned btw.

I can't source that, sorry, unless me having uploaded lots of videos with curses in them to see what happens qualifies.

In A.D. 2014
Gen 8 was beginning.
GAF: What happen?
Mechanic: Somebody set up us the ban.
Operator: We get error.
GAF: What!
Operator: Xbox, go home.
GAF: It's you!!
Kinect: How are you gentlemen!!
Kinect: You can't Xbox Live Gold is required.
Kinect: Because of your past behavior.
GAF: What you say!!
Kinect: You have no chance to Skype, choose something else to play.
Kinect: Ha Ha Ha Ha....
Operator: GAF!!
GAF: Take off every 'PS4'!!
GAF: You know what you doing.
GAF: Move 'PS4'.
GAF: For great justice.

wPuzhmQ.png

Tabris

If you can swear on youtube, then MS should have no issues, and need to copy the same policies youtube has for the upload studio..

shandy706

He was banned from Xbox Live so he can't use Skype because it requires Gold.
That's the issue, don't think it was for swearing on Skype, I think he was banned for swearing in an uploaded clip to XBL.
And in the other thread someone posted that Microsoft was reversing those bans.

Hhoooolld on ...,put down your pitchforks. Me and my friends swear on skype on Xbone a lot.

So I made it to page 2 and saw these. I'd assume no one is getting banned from simple chats and Skype. Go figure this still turned into a huge thread, lol.

I don't curse, so I would have never had to worry about this...if it had been true.

The meme from this is pretty funny though.

xenist

All you guys who are afraid you can't Xbox Live Gold I have an idea. For a small paypal fee I can teach you how to swear in Greek. Judging from GFW Live MS is not likely to acknowledge Greece exists for many years to come when it comes to Xbox One. So you'll probably be able to safely swear in Greek until your throat gives out.

Top Bottom