• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Xboxnoise - Kinectless Xbox Ones may have a problem?

Indiedevs

Banned
My experience with Xbox 360 was so good that I was able to forgive them for delaying the norwegian release almost a year, and when they finally released it, it had the same noise as some of the launch consoles almost a year ago. Way to go, Microsoft. Im not going to ship my console back and wait one extra month for them to sort out their mess. PS4, here I come.

Mindman

Has anyone opened the console and turned it on and looked at/listened to the motherboard to see if they narrow down the cause? Maybe it is a fan hitting a wire?

Amir0x

Banned
It's just a noise? It doesn't impact anything else? Just wondering because with all the deals so far the system is getting very close to my $299 buy-in, and I want to make sure I don't have to worry about any serious system failures. I will never in a billion years buy another Kinect or a Xbox One with Kinect, so this is important! :p

An official response from the thread I created on preview forums.

There you have it. Doesn't affect safety or functionality of the system, but you should go ahead and contact xbox support, and, at your request, they'll provide new systems.

We have one now.
Not convinced by that response. Regardless of if it's an issue with the coils, or if it's just a matter of making the resonance less shitty through a software update increasing the CPU speed while idling or whatever, getting the console replaced is a poor/not a solution. Supposedly they just became aware of this issue, meaning no consoles yet exist where this problem has been addressed. Although there are plenty of consoles where it's not an issue, replacing it sounds like a crapshoot. Especially for us tier 2 people who seem to have gotten a particularly crappy allotment.

And besides that, they're not saying they're looking to fix the problem, or investigate it. Just "We'll replace your console with one that maybe won't have this problem."

I picked up my XBO today. Same problem.

It really put a dampener on my evening. : /

Edit: Noise in the dashboard. No noise while in a game.
You should put that dampener on the coil instead.

Sanpei

My Xbox One has definitely less noise than my PS4...Its with Kinect...Its same even i disconnect Kinect

It's just a noise? It doesn't impact anything else? Just wondering because with all the deals so far the system is getting very close to my $299 buy-in, and I want to make sure I don't have to worry about any serious system failures. I will never in a billion years buy another Kinect or a Xbox One with Kinect, so this is important! :p
Yeah, it's just a noise.

Kssio_Aug

Definitely not normal for everyone. My system that I got in April has never made any sound approaching such noise levels. It's consistently so quiet that I never hear it running at all even while gaming. I need to physically put my ear to the system in order to hear anything at all when it's up and running, and even then it's damn quiet. The only times I'll hear noise is when I shut the console off and you hear what sounds like the hard drive or something else winding down. And when I turn it back on, you hear hard drive getting ready. Loudest noise it makes period is when I perform a hard reset by holding down the power button at the front. It makes this sound at a pretty decent volume like something is stopping pretty abruptly.

Many Xbox Ones probably work just fine with the noise without leading to any kind of issue, but because that may be the case doesn't mean it must be a universal thing across all xbox ones. I don't quite understand it myself, but with a lot of preview updates, some people seem to get entirely different sized updates compared to others. Some say they get fairly large ones quite regularly, whereas I think I've only seen a single one in the 1GB range, and everything else is like 250-350MB. So maybe there's some tiny differences between the models which leads to this sort of discrepancy.

As an example, my entire 1410 preview update was, if I remember clearly, 250MB. What about everybody else?

Yeah, like I said I wasnt sure about how loud. But I was able to listen the video just now and let me ask one thing: is it that loud, or the microphone made it much louder??

Because no, mine definitely is nothong like that! Just like you said I can only hear the faint noise if I press my ear on the console vents or just sometimes when the console is on and the room is veeery quiet. When Im playing I cant hear anything, and when Im not I can only hear if my room is pratically silent.

But nothing like that on the video. Nothing nearly that noticiable and neither that constant!

Hope you people can find a solution for such a problem. And hope it doesnt lead to a functional problem!

Shin-Ra

What? You just let what could be something that's not a huge thing make you return it and you haven't opened it yet to play? Ha.. you should return it. Who waits days to open up their brand new consoles? This is wild to see all the people in here all "concerned" now and now NOT going to buy an X1 because of this. lmao, classic.

Ha ha.. great joke.
Obviously you should check the unit you have and look for reassurance it's not an issue that can present itself as a real annoyance later on.

The whole returns process isn't much fun at the best of times (repacking, making sure you get a prepaid label/setting a pickup date and waiting, out of pocket), worse toward the 'holiday' buying season and any other time there's a concentrated period of returns. When I returned my launch 360, customer service kept losing my story-to-date so I had to keep reexplaining the situation with each call.

Yes, those high-pitched noises are definitely coil-whine and are usually fixed under full load. The firmware"fix" would be to always run the xbox at full load. Would take huge amounts of energy but the whine would most certainly be gone.
Doesn't sound like a viable fix, for obvious reasons.

Entire video? Because from what I saw he appeared to solve it by simply modifying (disabling) the dynamic frequency scaling of the CPU. if the issue on the Xbox One is a power state related matter and there simply needs to be more voltage going to a specific part of the system when it's on the dashboard without a game running, then an update can almost certainly fix it. It doesn't appear to be damaging or preventing xbox ones from working based on what little information we have at the moment.

It's just an annoying sound. Could certainly be a physical issue, but then it also be something easily addressed with a software update.
If Microsoft's properly identified the issue as software-fixable, I don't think they'd be recommending people exchange their console. It's expensive.

Jason Schreier said:
Kind of a pain, but hey, hardware is hardware.
Dear god. I'm not sure I believe the part about getting a "new" unit back, either. Normally they can't guarantee a new unit over a refurbished one.

I got an Xbone the day it went on sale as a kinectless console. My Xbone is quieter than my PS4. I think this is an isolated issue... People on the "PS4 side" are making a big deal about these cases. I can speak from experience because I was all about the PS4 at launch and laughed when there were disc tray issues with a few Xbone consoles... No problems with my Xbone... I prefer it to my PS4 at this point. Bring on MCC!
I tried turning off the fan with a stick. Its coil whining from the GPU or PSU.
lol.

Timmay

Banned
Sorry, but I call bullshit on their "small number of users have a problem". 4 consecutive units from Amazon followed by 3 from Target isn't just bad luck. That's a sign there's a real issue. An issue I hope they're taking seriously.

Indiedevs

Banned
Sorry, but I call bullshit on their "small number of users have a problem". 4 consecutive units from Amazon followed by 3 from Target isn't just bad luck. That's a sign there's a real issue. An issue I hope they're taking seriously.

I think almost every new "nordic edition" is affected by the noise.

Timmay

Banned
Thank you. I been dealing with loud consoles all last gen, some simple noise ain't gonna bother me :D

I recommend listening to it before you deem it acceptable. I've had loud consoles too, but this is on a different level. Nails up and down a chalkboard would be welcome to what I heard from mine.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Except, unlike Sony, Microsoft is actually acknowledging the issue and providing a solution.

Huh? Their response is the same. Send it in for a replacement under warranty. They aren't acknowledging anything...they are basically just saying "its within spec but we are good guys so if this bothers you we will replace it". But like the DS4...your replacement might have the same issue. These aren't repairs.

Amir0x

Banned
I recommend listening to it before you deem it acceptable. I've had loud consoles too, but this is on a different level. Nails up and down a chalkboard would be welcome to what I heard from mine.

I mean I clicked the youtube link video in the OP, but I'm not getting a sense it's particularly worse than 360 or PS3. Is there a video you think best demonstrates how bad it is?

I really can't see this being a problem for me based off that video (not to diminish it being a problem for anyone else, of course), but I of course will take any research before I make a big purchase. So if you have a good video let me know

atomsk

Party Pooper
I mean I clicked the youtube link video in the OP, but I'm not getting a sense it's particularly worse than 360 or PS3. Is there a video you think best demonstrates how bad it is?

I really can't see this being a problem for me based off that video (not to diminish it being a problem for anyone else, of course), but I of course will take any research before I make a big purchase. So if you have a good video let me know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrP-nwdZL9U

Portman

Saw it mentioned on Gameinformer too. Good to know that they're offering to replace them and hopefully the issue gets resolved. (now I'm scared to plug mine back up and update it)

I have experienced this a few times.

Both with kinect consoles and ones without. Exchanges changed nothing. It has nothing to do with kinect.

It is clearly not related to the fan or hard drive. It is a coil whine from the power regulation circuitry. The noise will change based on the power draw at the time. It is heard infrequently in standby, constantly while idling and not at all under load.

This can also be seen in pc components with cheap parts. If there is a correlation with kinect being plugged in, it's only because kinect increases the power draw enough to stop the noise in some systems.

I gave up on exchanges and simply leave the console in power savings mode and straight into game. I should have gotten my money back but I just bad to have forza.

The noise is so annoying that it's impossible to use the TV passthrough functionality or netflix etc.

Ms is definitely a software and services company. No matter how much money they throw at hardware they just can't do it.

Just bought the Madden bundle today and immediately noticed that whining noise during video playback and just sitting on the dashboard. I basically can't use the media functions because the noise is too annoying, but during gameplay I don't hear anything. So every unit without Kinect will do this? No use in returning/exchanging it? My best bet is to hope for a firmware update?

The video below is a better example, but no. If your frame of reference is the 360 it shouldnt be a big issue for you.

The only reason I even have a Xbox one is that I turned on my 360 after over a year of inactivity and decided pretty much on the spot that as much as im going to miss Ninja gaiden 2, I would not turn that thing on again ever. Its so noisy its ridiculous. And that was a slim.

I have no idea how I ever put up with an arcade.

I just expect my electronics to be quiet now. Im far more senstive to irritating noises than I once was.

Besides all that, the pitch of the noise is horrible.

Just bought the Madden bundle today and immediately noticed that whining noise during video playback and just sitting on the dashboard. I basically can't use the media functions because the noise is too annoying, but during gameplay I don't hear anything. So every unit without Kinect will do this? No use in returning/exchanging it? My best bet is to hope for a firmware update?

Reading the last few pages, it seems a better idea to send it off to microsoft.

Indiedevs

Banned

No, there are still working kinectless bundles, but it`s a lucky bet.

The units that I have had sound just like the video with the fancy microphone but there is a very high pitched variable squeeeeee overtop of everything. I don't know if its fhe frequency or what but its louder than muy firebreathing gaming rig, loiuder than my ,ps3, louder than my Xbox 360, and louder than my projector. It is easily heard over all of these devices even if they are all running at once.

It can be heard from an adjacent room. Nails on a chalkboard.

Ms is definitely a software and services company. No matter how much money they throw at hardware they just can't do it.

Primarily, yes, although they've been making hardware for decades now, mostly of high quality. That has little to do with it, anyway. Sony is (still) a hardware company first, yet oversights such as DS4's disintegrating sticks, and auto eject issues still happened, not to mention last gen's far more serious problems. I suppose those things are easy to creep by when you're trying to offer complex hardware at affordable prices.

Eisenherz

Banned
So every unit without Kinect will do this? No use in returning/exchanging it? My best bet is to hope for a firmware update?

Sarcasm? Posts her and a few tweets are just a SMALL SAMPLE SIZE. So, no. Not every Units are affected. Just a few. Most of them work properly, but you wouldnt hear about it. Nobody shouts out: "hey my kinectless xbox is working!" Only ISSUES are reported.

jacobeid

Banned
There is no guarantee the replacement will be any better. This seems to effect batches of consoles.

FWIW the two defective consoles I had came from the same Target. The one that I kept and which hasn't made the noise once in over two months came from another Target. I don't know what batches they came from though.

So every unit without Kinect will do this? No use in returning/exchanging it? My best bet is to hope for a firmware update?

I found one that doesn't make the noise.

If Microsoft's properly identified the issue as software-fixable, I don't think they'd be recommending people exchange their console. It's expensive.

That's actually not what they're doing. They're saying that, if requested, they will send new ones to customers. They aren't saying call us immediately and request a replacement as the only course of action left. They are leaving it entirely up to the customers to decide. I don't feel that's something you do if this loud noise is something they can't deal with given a little bit of time.

Also, it makes sense why they want people to contact support, that way they get a better handle on how many, which systems are affected, and where.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Also, it makes sense why they want people to contact support, that way they get a better handle on how many, which systems are affected, and where.

BS, they are not interested. They want as few people as possible to take the effort and call in. If they really wanted info they could do a poll via the OS and gather info effortlessly.

BrumGB

Phoned microsoft support yesterday and reported the static noise coming from my console. They've organised a advanced replacement and I will receive my new console tomorrow (hopefully)

Will update you on whether or not the replacement console is quieter or not.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Phoned microsoft support yesterday and reported the static noise coming from my console. They've organised a advanced replacement and I will receive my new console tomorrow (hopefully)

Will update you on whether or not the replacement console is quieter or not.

Very interested in anyone doing the replacement.

I'm waiting a week or two.

I was playing Ryse tonight and heard it sitting at the dashboard. While the game was loading, it went away. Throughout the game in certain areas I heard it, other times it was silent.

<shrug>

Going to wait a week or two before exchanging with MS; going to see if the replacement units are fixed somehow.

natertots

Just got my xbox a few hours ago. The noise isn't that bad but it is kind of annoying. At least it stops when you're playing a game. I may try and exchange this weekend at the Microsoft store near me instead of the GameStop I got it from. I can live with the noise I have to.

Daniel R

It took 3 days for me to get my advance exchange replacement console. The new one was silent so I am relatively happy now. I live in Sweden and the unit was sent from the british isles.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thank you. I been dealing with loud consoles all last gen, some simple noise ain't gonna bother me :D

If you're using it like a console that might be ok. But if you have TV passthrough then it'll be making that noise constantly while you're watching Tv etc, which will probably drive you nuts.

Can I safely unplug kinect to see if I get the problem and then plug it back in to make it go away? I'm curious if I have the issue but don't want to be stuck with it. Keeping kinect connected for now for voice controls but I may unplug it later if the UI improves enough without it (like the new snap stuff)

Top Bottom