• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Xboxnoise - Kinectless Xbox Ones may have a problem?

Occam

Calling this coil whine issue of Xbone "noise of death" doesn't make much sense, because unlike RRoD, it's just annoying.

I therefore suggest the following acronym: AWoX
(Annoying Whine of Xbone)

Magical Drop

Neo Member
My console arrived back from MS repair centre today - well, I say `my` console, but it's a brand new system with a new serial and still in its plastic film wrapping.

Reminds me of the very early days of the 360's problems where they'd just send you a new one (and then the problem got a bit out of hand so it was repairs all around).

Replacement system works fine. It certainly doesn't sound like someone kicking around a dot matrix printer like the first one.

There is still a very faint noise which sounds quite similar, but it's nowhere near what was happening before and isn't really noticeable unless there's no other noise in the room and I'm listening for it.

Pimpbaa

Weird that the coil whine happens when the xb1 isn't doing anything. Coil whine on PCs usually happens when a component is under load (video card or cpu being stressed). I hear coil whine on my PC when I'm downloading something at full speed ever since I got fibre op internet (I guess when the the network components are stressed). Anyway, I hope it gets fixed before xmas because I have been kinda been wanting to get one for Forza Horizon 2.

atomsk

Party Pooper
The most recent statement on the Xbox forums

Hey guys! I see a few of you have had repairs done and are still experiencing the noise. I am so sorry to see that is the case. If you received a console from us that still has the noise, please send me a private message (you can see the instructions how in the verified post above).

Keep on sending me the serial numbers as stated above! I am logging all of that and passing it along to the proper teams. Please keep setting up repairs as this is the best way to get rid of the noise your console creates. To keep the clutter with these verified posts to a minimum, this will be the last one I verify. :D

Once again, we very much appreciate your patience with us and are very grateful for the information you have passed on!

I'm still debating on when to send mine in.

djshauny

Banned
Mine does this noise but its not loud really.

Didnt some guy on youtube whack the back of the console and it stopped the noise lol

Biker19

Banned
Original Xbox: Needed a worldwide power supply replacement because of bad soldering.

Xbox 360: RROD fun

Xbox One: Makes weird loud noises

This fucking company!

I agree. Microsoft needs to hire professionals when making hardware stuff.

Jinaar

Quick Question: I have a launch XBOX ONE and when I have it on Always On Mode/StandBy, when I shut it down for the night, it goes "off" and it gives off a buzzing/humming sound. Does this fit the issue that is currently had with none Kinect XBOX ONE's? It's pretty annoying to say the least.

BDP

Neo Member
I wonder if it's a certain batch. My kinectless version has been pretty much dead silent since I bought it when they first released.

psychotron

Mine was already replaced because of a chirping fan a few months ago, and now this one is making loud fan noises and I hear that computer noise that people have been speaking about, even when the system is in standby. I was walking through my living room after turning everything off last week, and heard this loud hard drive type noise, and it was the xbone.

I keep putting off calling too. I really wish I bought an extended warranty when it released, but I kept hearing how the xbone was extremely silent and meant to withstand running for a million years (hyperbole I know), so I only bought a replacement plan for the PS4. Regardless of what happens, I'll be real nervous after mid November.

Magical Drop

Neo Member
Update on my situation - a day after my `new` and silent Xbox One arrived, the UPS guy turned up again... with my old console!

Seems MS made a bit of a mess of things and sent me a replacement and a repair. The repair Xbox is still making a noise (though not as bad as before, it's definitely still there and sounds nasty). With the replacement one to compare it with, it's clear something still isn't right (so much for the service rep's "we know what this is and we can fix it" comment).

Also the repair one looks like someone use the cover as a skating rink - it's scratched to fuck and back which really annoyed me given how it had only been out of the box a total of 30 minutes and was still pristine when I sent it off.

As I'd anticipated, I got an email today telling me they'd made a mistake and they'll be contacting me to return the Xbox. I think I'm going to send them the one that they've damaged and is still making a noise.

brainslug

Bought mine earlier this week. Kinectless Forza 5+Fifa 15 bundle. And yeah, it makes this awful sound too.

Haven't made a decision yet should I return the console or just learn to "deal with it". The sound is pretty annoying, but at least it disappears when playing games. Oh well. I'll think about this over the weekend and make the decision next week.

Is Microsoft planning on doing a quiet hardware update to fix this issue? I'm not buying an XboxOne for the Master Chief Collection unless this issue is resolved.

Ceph

Neo Member
Just received my Xbox today and it has a scratching sound when not playing games. I can also hear it in standby scratching, ticking and sometimes squeaking. Very weird.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Just received my Xbox today and it has a scratching sound when not playing games. I can also hear it in standby scratching, ticking and sometimes squeaking. Very weird.

If you disable the "instant on", it'll be quiet when you turn it off.

Since mine is in my bedroom, I can't use instant on, or I'd never get any sleep.

A handful of people saying the October update is fixing the issue (I seriously doubt it would) can anybody shoot me an invite? (gamertag: attack slug)

djshauny

Banned

Since mine is in my bedroom, I can't use instant on, or I'd never get any sleep.

A handful of people saying the October update is fixing the issue (I seriously doubt it would) can anybody shoot me an invite? (gamertag: attack slug)

It fixed mine mate. Very silent now.

Uhyve

I was thinking of buying an Xbox One tomorrow, are the Kinect versions still considered safe? Was considering getting the Kinect anyways.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I was thinking of buying an Xbox One tomorrow, are the Kinect versions still considered safe? Was considering getting the Kinect anyways.

Why would they be unsafe? The Kinectless version was the noisy one, and now the noise issue is fixed if you're in the preview. For those not in the preview it'll be fixed in a week or so I guess.

Uhyve

Why would they be unsafe? The Kinectless version was the noisy one, and now the noise issue is fixed if you're in the preview. For those not in the preview it'll be fixed in a week or so I guess.
I just meant safe as in not having to do an exchange, I hadn't been keeping up with the issue, so I was just making sure. Didn't want to be worried on the trip home from GAME.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I'm sending mine in when they get a reliable fix, assuming the update doesn't fix it.

How do you get invites for the preview program anyway?

PM me your gamertag and I'll put your name in for an invite. I don't know how long it takes, though. October update might be up by then. I'd wait to send it in for sure. My second XB1 had terrible coil whine and it's super silent after the update.

farisr

Hope this is a non-issue by the time I get one later this year. I actually sold the 2nd 360 I owned because the noise was too loud/annoying (even tried to modify the hardware, replace the fans etc to see if it would fix it but nope). Sold that one off, and used the money to buy a new one that was really quiet.And I do get really annoyed by the noise this seems to be making. At least it's not happening while playing games though so if I do get one like that maybe I'll be able to deal with it.

Is it? Been too busy to bother with mine. Ill put this in the OP.

Fangrim

Would be cool if someone would take the time and effort to measure their XBox One's power consumption during idle/on standby, before and after the October update.

If this is indeed a question of low power draw causing the issue, this could be quite important, as the XBox One might not live up to EU regulations if they had to up the power consumption in standby.

dh4niel

I really want to get an Xbone but I'm not sure what's worse: waiting for another price drop/bundle before Christmas or waiting for this #xboxnoise problem to go away. :/

Madness

Now I'm worried about my upcoming White Sunset model... If it has this noise thing, I don't know what I'd do, return it for a new one?

I don't even know in the past how Microsoft handled special or limited edition consoles? I agree they really are piss poor with hardware now. Wtf.

The thing is built like a tank this time and still has issues. I went through 4 RRoD last gen with my white launch console, had to get an elite because I was tired of sending it in, eventually got a slim. I get they'll never catch Sony which is a hardware building leader, but damn.

JaggedSac

Hope this is a non-issue by the time I get one later this year. I actually sold the 2nd 360 I owned because the noise was too loud/annoying (even tried to modify the hardware, replace the fans etc to see if it would fix it but nope). Sold that one off, and used the money to buy a new one that was really quiet.And I do get really annoyed by the noise this seems to be making. At least it's not happening while playing games though so if I do get one like that maybe I'll be able to deal with it.

It's a non-issue as of now for preview members, will be a non-issue for everyone else when it releases in a week or two.

Looks like the Update preview did fix my noise issue, too. Pretty awesome.

EDIT: Wait, it's still making noise, nevermind. Unless it hasn't installed yet, my status is 'EnrollPending' apparently.

Looks like the Update preview did fix my noise issue, too. Pretty awesome.

EDIT: Wait, it's still making noise, nevermind. Unless it hasn't installed yet, my status is 'EnrollPending' apparently.

Yeah, that wasn't the update, you just installed the preview app. Now you have to wait until they accept you into the preview program.

Top Bottom