• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supast4r

I guess this is Slaythe...
8735d5af190305c7a465a2af5be7b9812d2f5854_hq.gif

When Kale or Goku Black don't make it in I'll be joining him.

Keep in mind that the American Audience won't have seen Kale yet. Black is all but confirmed. I expect Black and Beerus to be in.

Mory Dunz

Yeah, I was about to say - you can go back and look and it appears to be deliberate. I only noticed this when I realized that Goku's Battle of Gods costume in Xenoverse didn't have the red ribbons on the shoes, they had the normal yellow string.

Then you go back and watch the anime and realize that the same thing happens - Goku's boots have yellow string/lace before and after the transformation, but during it he has red ribbons. This is present in both Battle of Gods and Super.

And the soles became white after the SSG transformation. again, for whatever reason...

Supast4r

Besides the fact that the show itself has clearly contradicted your first claim, it's just boring, alright?

It's boring watching yet another bit of fodder get fodderized on screen to play up a character we already know is competent at fighting. It's boring not seeing team attacks or actual tactics at play. It's boring knowing the grand majority of fighters participating are so far below the strongest few that they may as well never have existed in the first place. It's boring knowing that an entire universe's GREATEST FIGHTERS couldn't get ONE SINGLE ELIMINATION BEFORE BEING ELIMINATED.

That last one is a bloody cardinal sin in a battle royale like this. Talk about sucking away all the tension! It's actually impressive how much they managed to fail to meet my expectations and ruin my ability to enjoy this series.

Sorry, I shouldn't be so negative. I mean, I'm not completely bored, and at least things will start to have tension again when half of U7 immediately jobs to Jiren (you know this is coming), but still, they had a good idea here and completely failed to capitalize on it, so, well, I'm not really going to be very favorable towards Toei on this (and I also somehow doubt Toyotaro will do a better job).

Above all else, in a tournament with 80 fighters, no one team should be getting a kill count of 20+ before the tournament is even through. That's just stupid. It beggars belief. It's not right. I can't stand it.

I just want them to hit the climax already so we can have our flashy animation cuts and move on to something better. Something they're better suited to, at least.

Then don't watch and let others enjoy it.

V_Arnold

Then don't watch and let others enjoy it.

Why? Detailted criticism is always better than one-liners, no matter what the content of the one-liners are. Besides, he is right, this tournament has been very lackluster. People watch things that are not always liked by them all the time. Should not affect your enjoyment at all.

How behind is the English broadcast? I really want to watch DBS, I browse this thread a lot but I don't know how I feel about dubbed dragon ball. The character's voices are just so ingrained in my brain that watching dubbed just feels wrong

How behind is the English broadcast? I really want to watch DBS, I browse this thread a lot but I don't know how I feel about dubbed dragon ball. The character's voices are just so ingrained in my brain that watching dubbed just feels wrong
About 80 episodes behind I think.

HeroR

Keep in mind that the American Audience won't have seen Kale yet. Black is all but confirmed. I expect Black and Beerus to be in.

Neither was Black when Xenoverse 2 came out, but he was a bonus DLC. Heck, the American audience still haven't seen Black in Super yet since we're still in the Champa Saga.

Skeeter49

I just don't see the point of having Kale in FighterZ. Unless the DLC support is insanely long term.

She's used one move that isn't a Broly attack? The beam in 101, that and controlled LSSJ are the only 2 things that make her different than Broly. Hopefully she does more creative things in controlled LSSJ, and Berserk now that she controls Berserk, but she's probably not going to have any more fights in this tournament, maybe one more fight at most, so there's nothing the devs can really do with her if they have Broly in the game already.

I don't see the point for a lot of characters, but I'd like to see her make it in if possible.
In a perfect world we'd get her instead of Broly, but we don't live in that world.
I want her, but I want her to play different from inevitable Broly, and right now that's not the case, unless they rely on support stuff with Caulifla to separate her.

Sheroking

If you release Kale, you release Kale instead of Broly. Broly may be the more popular character, but because there are precious few female fighters in this franchise, I'd bite the bullet and put Kale in over Broly.

Rutger

Banned
Gohan is a very overrated character with the most annoying fanbase next to Vegeta. They're like the middle age people who keep trying to received their 'glory days'. In the case of Gohan, it's the Cell Games and Ultimate Gohan, and mourning how he never became the main character to replaced Goku because Toriyama changed his mind.

What's wrong with people wanting Gohan to have a role to play in an arc? What is this "they're like middle age people"? Hahahahaha.

Honestly, I don't think it matters that Toriyama never officially made Gohan the main character, because he essentially is in the narrative structure of Z. Gohan is the one we follow the closest, every arc starts with him and he's the one we see grow as a character the most throughout the series. I can't say I ever felt like I was watching Goku's journey in Z despite him having most of the major fights. Bad writing at the end of the Buu saga doesn't change that.

He's not even my favorite character, but let's not pretend that he didn't earn his fanbase or that his neglect in Super wasn't very odd. He doesn't need to be the main character in Super, it's a new series and it can go wherever it wants, but the way it has treated him before this arc has been terrible.

NEO0MJ

If you release Kale, you release Kale instead of Broly. Broly may be the more popular character, but because there are precious few female fighters in this franchise, I'd bite the bullet and put Kale in over Broly.

It might have worked if Broly wasn't such a popular character but I really don't see them choosing her over him. Maybe they can have her support him like how 17 supports 18.

I think we'd be lucky to even get Hit in the base FighterZ, anything beyond that seems like it would be DLC to me (and I doubt Kale would be chosen among them).

The fact that Blue Goku and Vegeta are in their current outfits and Blue Vegeta has the beat down he gave Black as a super makes me think the cut off is at least the Future Trunks arc.

HeroR

What's wrong with people wanting Gohan to have a role to play in an arc? What is this "they're like middle age people"? Hahahahaha.

Honestly, I don't think it matters that Toriyama never officially made Gohan the main character, because he essentially is in the narrative structure of Z. Gohan is the one we follow the closest, every arc starts with him and he's the one we see grow as a character the most throughout the series. I can't say I ever felt like I was watching Goku's journey in Z despite him having most of the major fights. Bad writing at the end of the Buu saga doesn't change that.

He's not even my favorite character, but let's not pretend that he didn't earn his fanbase or that his neglect in Super wasn't very odd. He doesn't need to be the main character in Super, it's a new series and it can go wherever it wants, but the way it has treated him before this arc has been terrible.

People whining about Gohan endlessly got annoying, especially fans who wanted Super Saiyan 2 Gohan from the Cell Games or 'badass' Ultimate Gohan back.

I remember fans during the Future Trunks Saga wanted Future Trunks to shame Gohan for going soft and give this grand speech about how he needed to protect the world. I was one of the few that pointed out that Trunks would never say these things since he would be happy for Gohan, especially given what a mess his life was. Lo behold, Episode 52 confirmed my statements and Gohan fans have a meltdown.

"because he essentially is in the narrative structure of Z"

Yeah, in Z. There was an entire series and an entire third of the manga that didn't have Gohan. Dragon Ball has always been Goku's story. Gohan was always just along for the ride until around the end of the Cell Games when Toriyama tried to make Gohan take over. Didn't work, so he went back to Goku and Gohan became part of the revolving cast. Dragon Ball didn't start with Z.

Character being left in the dust isn't new in this series, so his neglect in Super isn't odd at all. Remember Launch? She was one of the primary secondary characters in Dragon Ball. What happened to her in Z? Most Dragon Ball fans don't even know she existed. The same with Roshi, major secondary character in Dragon Ball who's one of the few people to beat Goku in a straight fight, gave Tien a tough battle, and nearly sealed King Piccolo. What happened to him in Z?

Yeah, Gohan isn't special here.

I will go as far as to say that a lot of Gohan don't even like Gohan as a character. I can't tell you how many supposed Gohan fans I ran to who admitted to not liking Gohan until he went Super Saiyan 2 because 'he was whiny bitch before' and didn't like him again until he went Ultimate, while calling Great Saiyaman a pussy. Yeah, just jumped on the Gohan bandwagon whenever he's the strongest.

dci260

The fact that Blue Goku and Vegeta are in their current outfits and Blue Vegeta has the beat down he gave Black as a super makes me think the cut off is at least the Future Trunks arc.

Could just be that it was easier to re-use their outfits, but you do have a point on Blue Vegeta's move... dammit, now you've got me hoping for Rose.

Sheroking

It might have worked if Broly wasn't such a popular character but I really don't see them choosing her over him. Maybe they can have her support him like how 17 supports 18.

I said it in the Fighterz thread, and I'll say it here.

Broly is popular, but Broly is also hated. He's the most polarizing character. You can get away with not doing him at all IMO.

Sheroking

I will go as far as to say that a lot of Gohan don't even like Gohan as a character. I can't tell you how many supposed Gohan fans I ran to who admitted to not liking Gohan until he went Super Saiyan 2 because 'he was whiny bitch before' and didn't like him again until he went Ultimate, while calling Great Saiyaman a pussy. Yeah, just jumped on the Gohan bandwagon whenever he's the strongest.

I kind of wanted to stop posting about my problems with the Gohan fandom in this thread, because at some point it's just bait w/ so many fans here, but you've summed up a big part of problem with him.

Gohan at his most personable is Gohan in filler. Gohan the family man or Gohan as "The Great Saiyaman" had more character and personality than scared kid Gohan or Ultimate Gohan EVER had, but fans weren't content with that because that wasn't the Gohan everyone liked: A colorless, bland, tasteless bad-ass.

That's not Dragon Ball for me. Dragon Ball is big personalities.

It's also why I'm not buying into the 17 hype right now. They stripped him of a good portion of his personality so they could have him stand tall and passionless. I'd much rather see Goku fuck up than watch boring trope-ass characters be "bad asses" all day.

At least where Gohan is concerned, they told the story of him getting back into shape well. They gave him drive. Which is way more than he had at any point in his story apart from the climax of the Cell games.

NEO0MJ

I said it in the Fighterz thread, and I'll say it here.

Broly is popular, but Broly is also hated. He's the most polarizing character. You can get away with not doing him at all IMO.

Really? I thought it was only the super hardcore Canon only fans that hated him? Most casual Z fans I know love that character.

Rutger

Banned
People whining about Gohan endlessly got annoying, especially fans who wanted Super Saiyan 2 Gohan from the Cell Games or 'badass' Ultimate Gohan back.

I remember fans during the Future Trunks Saga wanted Future Trunks to shame Gohan for going soft and give this grand speech about how he needed to protect the world. I was one of the few that pointed out that Trunks would never say these things since he would be happy for Gohan, especially given what a mess his life was. Lo behold, Episode 52 confirmed my statements and Gohan fans have a meltdown.

"because he essentially is in the narrative structure of Z"

Yeah, in Z. There was an entire series and an entire third of the manga that didn't have Gohan. Dragon Ball has always been Goku's story. Gohan was always just along for the ride until around the end of the Cell Games when Toriyama tried to make Gohan take over. Didn't work, so he went back to Goku and Gohan became part of the revolving cast. Dragon Ball didn't start with Z.

Character being left in the dust isn't new in this series, so his neglect in Super isn't odd at all. Remember Launch? She was one of the primary secondary characters in Dragon Ball. What happened to her in Z? Most Dragon Ball fans don't even know she existed. The same with Roshi, major secondary character in Dragon Ball who's one of the few people to beat Goku in a straight fight, gave Tien a tough battle, and nearly sealed King Piccolo. What happened to him in Z?

Yeah, Gohan isn't special here.

I liked Trunks' interaction with Gohan in Super for what it's worth.

And yes, I know the series didn't start with Z. I tend not to separate the two unless it's convenient for the conversation, so let me reword it, from the moment Gohan is introduced he is more the main character than Goku.
Much of Goku's growth as a character at that point is done, and while the Saiyan saga still has quite a bit of focus on Goku there is a very clear transition happening towards Gohan.
Then Namik happens and Goku is shoved off to the side for half of it in favor of Gohan who continues to play an active role to some degree until he is wished off the planet.
Cell saga has a lot going on as well as some downtime due to the nature of the villains, but again it begins with Gohan, his future self has a major role in shaping Trunks, he's active in the hunt for the androids, and it concludes with following through on what has been built up for the last two arcs with him coming into his own.
And it did work, because going into the Buu saga it yet again begins with Gohan and him returning to form is the main focus on that arc. Which of course happens, and then suddenly Toriyama decides Goku should get the win.

I honestly can't look at those four arcs and say that Goku is the focus. He may be the main character in promotional material but he sure as hell is not in the narrative. I was certainly far more interested in where Gohan was going in the story than I ever was with Goku during those parts.

I kind of wanted to stop posting about my problems with the Gohan fandom in this thread, because at some point it's just bait w/ so many fans here, but you've summed up a big part of problem with him.

Gohan at his most personable is Gohan in filler. Gohan the family man or Gohan as "The Great Saiyaman" had more character and personality than scared kid Gohan or Ultimate Gohan EVER had, but fans weren't content with that because that wasn't the Gohan everyone liked: A colorless, bland, tasteless bad-ass.

That's not Dragon Ball for me. Dragon Ball is big personalities.

It's also why I'm not buying into the 17 hype right now. They stripped him of a good portion of his personality so they could have him stand tall and passionless. I'd much rather see Goku fuck up than watch boring trope-ass characters be "bad asses" all day.

At least where Gohan is concerned, they told the story of him getting back into shape well. They gave him drive. Which is way more than he had at any point in his story apart from the climax of the Cell games.

Quick aside since you brought it up,
I did feel at first like 17 had his personality stripped, but he's honestly feeling more like himself as the tourney goes. Him playing with weaker fighters and goofing around feels like android saga 17 to me.
I keep being more pleased with his role.

I-hate-u

I highly doubt that considering how many great moments he had in the Saiyan and especially the Freeza arc.

Rutger

Banned
I highly doubt that considering how many great moments he had in the Saiyan and especially the Freeza arc.

I can't imagine how anyone could think Gohan was nothing but a crybaby before going Super Saiyan 2, this is the same kid who managed to steal a Dragon Ball from Vegeta and then had to trick him knowing one wrong word might get himself killed.

He was a great character long before he was the strongest.

Watch BOG, episodes 16-18, and ROF. Gohan and Videl's characters have gotten so much worse since round super buu (though Gohan being a weak ass has been a thing since cell). Videl doesnt even look like videl, where da forehead at.

The german broadcast will start on 4th September with 1 episode every weekday...I wonder how much they will show, before the first break though
52 episodes for now, so it will stop right before Zamasu is introduced.
Can't wait for the dub, as Oliver Feld will reprise his role as Whis <3

Skii

A lot of Gohan fans liked him before he turned SSJ2 lmao. Gohan was my favourite character because he represents the actual fear you would have as a child if you were put in those situations in the saiyan and frieza saga. Even though he's a scared, little boy, he still went to Namek just to bring back Piccolo because he cared that much about him. That's why I liked Gohan. In the face of all his fears, he still did what he needed to do to protect his friends and family. And his character development culminated beautifully when he went SSJ2 with a bittersweet ending that made sense.

HeroR

I liked Trunks' interaction with Gohan in Super for what it's worth.

And yes, I know the series didn't start with Z. I tend not to separate the two unless it's convenient for the conversation, so let me reword it, from the moment Gohan is introduced he is more the main character than Goku.
Much of Goku's growth as a character at that point is done, and while the Saiyan saga still has quite a bit of focus on Goku there is a very clear transition happening towards Gohan.
Then Namik happens and Goku is shoved off to the side for half of it in favor of Gohan who continues to play an active role to some degree until he is wished off the planet.
Cell saga has a lot going on as well as some downtime due to the nature of the villains, but again it begins with Gohan, his future self has a major role in shaping Trunks, he's active in the hunt for the androids, and it concludes with following through on what has been built up for the last two arcs with him coming into his own.
And it did work, because going into the Buu saga it yet again begins with Gohan and him returning to form is the main focus on that arc. Which of course happens, and then suddenly Toriyama decides Goku should get the win.

I honestly can't look at those four arcs and say that Goku is the focus. He may be the main character in promotional material but he sure as hell is not in the narrative. I was certainly far more interested in where Gohan was going in the story than I ever was with Goku during those parts.

That had more to do with Toriyama reducing Goku to a plot device who couldn't be allowed to end the arc, so he kept finding more contrive ways to make sure Goku was down. Also, Gohan's roll in the Android/Cell Saga were completely reduced with him disappearing for several chapters in the manga. He only became important once he went into the Hyperbolic Chamber. Future Gohan was just a mentioned and a rushed bonus chapter in the manga. You have to look at the History of Trunks Special to get anything from him. Even in the anime, Trunks barely talked about Future Gohan.

As for the Buu Saga, Gohan started as important, got bus, and then came back after Goten, Trunks, Gotenks, and Piccolo ran the show. He wasn't really the main focused on the Buu Saga, specifically the part when Buu awakenings onward.

Goku is the reason the entire Saiyan Saga happened, his brother came looking for him. He took over the main role of the Frieza Saga after Frieza went into his final form and had the longest fight in anime history. Goku is the reason, once again, the entire Android/Cell Saga happened. The androids were created to get revenge on his and his death is one of the primary reasons Trunks' timeline went to hell. Even when Gohan got the killing blow in Cell, it was Goku's guidance and encouraged that made it possible. As for the Buu Saga, Goku took over the entire last third and the was the one who taught the Fusion Dance that kept everyone alive for as long as it did. Narrative-wise, the story was still Goku's since the plot happened because of him.

They exists. These are the same fans who won't let him leave down running away during the combo attack against Nappa. Because a five years old wouldn't get scared in that situation. /s

Sheroking

Goku is moved to the side for much of the Saiyan and Namekian arcs because Goku's presence would force a the last fight of the arc. Shifting expectations and paying off on Gohan's arc in the Cell games is the one package of episodes ANY character, ever took the plot focus from Goku.

Anytime Goku is actually around, the focus is completely on him as the lead. And once they needed to start telling the story AFTER Gohan's long, drawn-out arc had been paid off, it once again fell to Goku - a superior personality - to be the narrative focus.

In Buu. In the movies. In GT and Super. And nothing will change that moving forward: not even a more relevant Gohan.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
A lot of Gohan fans liked him before he turned SSJ2 lmao. Gohan was my favourite character because he represents the actual fear you would have as a child if you were put in those situations in the saiyan and frieza saga. Even though he's a scared, little boy, he still went to Namek just to bring back Piccolo because he cared that much about him. That's why I liked Gohan. In the face of all his fears, he still did what he needed to do to protect his friends and family. And his character development culminated beautifully when he went SSJ2 with a bittersweet ending that made sense.

I've enjoyed him since his introduction as well.

I don't think it's really fair to generalize any particular fanbase for a character... in Gohan's case there's just so many facets to find interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom