• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
just wait until you see episode 8. wwwww. symphogear is truely the finest in a5 grade anime bullshit and for that i love it.

Eh, nothing about this season is surprising me, which may be why I am struggling so much with it, feel like it is going through the motions.

Cornbread78

Love & Lies ep.8
hY6wdll.png
Seriously, you have to feel bad for both Misaki and Nisaka here. I mean, both of them are screwed at the end of the day, right? Well, at least Nisaka is, but I have no idea how tgey will settle the Ruri vs. Misaki issue in the last four episodes.

The pain was already heartfelt and real in thus episode....

Cornbread78

Abenobashi Magical Shopping ep.3
Holy shit, that was great!

On the downside, they went all-in on the ecchi all of a sudden, but oh my, this episode was just crazy entertainment from start to finish..
Hopefully, less ecchi and mor crazy going forward, but I'll be damned if that wasn't a fun mecha parody episode.

Cornbread78

Why is the boy peeing near a dead girl and a Pikachu.

The little critter interupted his pissing into space and he turned around into that.... The girl, well, she spent tge entire episode trying to get panties back from that little "goblin" Eventually, it all fellinto place with the help of a super mecha move, lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In the US literally means figuratively.

Also literally.

MartyStu

Aho Girl 1 - 6

Creepy panty shots aside, I...I like this show.

Having bad taste is not nearly as terrible as I thought it would be.

Line_HTX

Children of Ether 01

LeSean Thomas got a really amazing animator and designer for this. I really love the whole backdrop of post-apoc flooded New York City and the dirty graffiti-littered subway tunnels that's like an underwater aquarium with giant fish. Good setup while keeping the mystery of Rhonda's power at bay. Hope to see more of the sunset skyline in these flooded ruins.

Ancient Magus Bride 01-03

Pacing was kind of slow, but it didn't really bother me. Rather, I liked that they took their time getting slowly acquainted with Ainsworth's mage world just like Chise is after suddenly bought out and made his mage apprentice. The music when they were talking about the magic or the dragon's nest was pretty sweet. Didn't like how it ended, but that's just a minor nitpick and I can't wait for it to finally start in October.

Rakugo S1 Episodes 12-13

Ugh, what a show man. I didn't know what I was expecting, but I'm glad I kept watching after the first episode. This show was a beautiful period drama that focused on three equally intriguing/flawed characters, and used a relatively unknown component of Japanese culture to tell its story/explore its themes. I personally
did NOT buy Bon's love for Miyo - he never seemed interested from the start, so even when he confessed his lover for her episodes ago I still was not convinced. Also the tear licking thing was weird, but that final shot in Episode 12 of Sukeroku embracing Miyo and them falling off the ledge was heartbreaking.
I'm glad this season focused on Bon's past, because it provided much needed characterization for him and Konatsu, and allows Yota's rakugo to gain even more significance due to its relation with Sukeroku. I really do find Yota endearing so far, and can't wait to see him grow next season. Also, said this before, but animation and music were an A+. Well produced and the music crescendoed as just the right moments.

tl;dr Not a show for everyone, but those who love strong characters, period pieces, and pretty animation/music will not be disappointed. Haven't been engrossed like this in a while :)

I have been watching too much SoL though; last show I watched before this was Barakamon, and before that was...Toradora? I think? Time to pick up a new genre for some variety. Or maybe I'll just binge Season 2. We'll see.

Cornbread78

I have been watching too much SoL though; last show I watched before this was Barakamon, and before that was...Toradora? I think? Time to pick up a new genre for some variety. Or maybe I'll just binge Season 2. We'll see.

Here's 3 recent ones to try:

Comedy:
- Konosuba

Military/Action/Adventure:
- Alderamin of the Sky

Action/ Adventure:
- Yona of the Dawn

DNAbro

Food Wars 2-7

Okay this is pretty entertaining. Soma is a fun character. The amount of fanservice is crazy though. At least it's equal opportunity.

Narag

Milky Holmes' Counterattack

• I can't believe a gag series maintained such a tight contuniuity to the end.
  • That was a hell of a way to close things out.
  • You'd think with a theatrical budget the animation could stay on-model but I guess they just needed more money.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Kakegurui episode 3
Good way to not make the series predictable but still provide consequences to the protagonist

Theonik

• You'd think with a theatrical budget the animation could stay on-model but I guess they just needed more money.
Looks pretty on model to me.

Lain

Symphogear AXZ 7

That Adam is a real piece of shit.
Hibiki's so good even her
waste matter can become useful

DiGiKerot

Oh yeah Kitacon was pretty light on merch so I just got a couple of anime releases I was missing and some used Xbox 360 games to pay on the XBO X when I get it.

But then I accidentally found some UR Ritsuko merch.

I'm kind of annoyed I'd forgotten to bring my current cards with me. They're much cuter.

I managed to escape Kita without buying anything other than a Yohane phone charm (mainly because the Nadesico BDs had already sold out!). That said, I brought Yayo and Komami Puchimas plushes, a smaller Io Puchimas plush, small Moa and Retoree (from Show by Rock) plushes and that Yukari I was carrying around back from the states with me last week (plus about $120 of Shirobako stuff from PA Works and a Hidamari artbook).

Theonik

I'm kind of annoyed I'd forgotten to bring my current cards with me. They're much cuter.

I managed to escape Kita without buying anything other than a Yohane phone charm (mainly because the Nadesico BDs had already sold out!). That said, I brought Yayo and Komami Puchimas plushes, a smaller Io Puchimas plush, small Moa and Retoree (from Show by Rock) plushes and that Yukari I was carrying around back from the states with me last week (plus about $120 of Shirobako stuff from PA Works and a Hidamari artbook).
I ordered Nadesico online during the con for Con pricing but I won't count that towards the con damage. Yeah, kinda refreshing not to be in a con that is a huge dealer room. 15 quid for the Yatterman book was pretty good I felt. Also I needed Ouran to finish my blood pact with Envelaap (I lost my DVDs a couple of years ago) For Eva I just wanted the newer release, also hoping they pick up the rest of Rebuild but more importantly TV EVA and EoE.

My buys were quite light because I have pretty much bought everything I *really* wanted already. Do most of my importing from Manda, CDJ, and AmiAmi so all that's left is domestic stuff really.

P.S. Can't get the image to load.

Symphogear AXZ 07

Over or under? 2 episodes until the led alchemist chick gets punched in the face by Hibiki and decides to betray Adam and sides with the Symphogear girls and all nine of them have a grand battle against Adam and Tiki by episode 12?

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...

FUCK. I need to watch this.

Correction: I need to finish Series 2, then this.

moogs

Neo Member
Yeah, I recall the first and the third being the highlights, having a hard time remembering what happened in the seventh one.
Episode seven was the one with rainy weather and home visits. It focused on the producer and the main trio.

THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls 14

Thankfully, the reiteration of the opening monologue was complete within a minute. There's a real sense of unity to the group now. Rin's newfound friendships should positively widen her point of view by allowing her to reflect from a slightly different perspective. Perhaps this is what it'll take for her to fully appreciate her profession and position. Riina seems to have been struck by inspiration, so maybe she'll now learn a new adjectival noun or something actually substantial about rock. With the idols continuously chasing after uncertainties—in this episode's case, a shadowy figure—a remodeling of their directives isn't unfounded. Nevertheless, the final scene still stung, especially after New Generations were told to work hard. Also, is this line just a red herring, or is it an allusion to Mishiro's past? Being introduced as just "Mishiro" and being the president's daughter suggest that the company is her namesake/monument. After managing to somewhat thaw the producer, I'm sure the Cinderella Project will work its magic on Mishiro as well.

Rankings: 1. Uzuki; 2. Mika▲; 3. Rin; 4. Miku▲; 5. Anastasia; 6. Ranko; 7. Kirari; 8. Mio; 9. Rika; 10. Anzu; 11. Riina; 12. Minami
Benched: Miria, Chieri, and Kanako
Arrested: Producer

MSMrRound

Both but the 'lesbian power ballad' has priority.

Good. The biggest barrier to entry for Symphogear is the first season.
If can make past that, you will probably have a great time with the rest.

This.

The first season is always a challenge for someone new to Symphogear to get through

I convinced a colleague to watch Symphogear and while she was sorta okay with the first season, the second season onwards had her surprised at how much some of the stuff improved.

At least most of the episodes are available now, so you don't have to go through the weekly "subs when" experience old-timers are having with the current AXZ season

Theonik

I've wanted to get into it for a while mostly after seeing the alt faces that come with the nendoroids but I've been seeing a lot of things I like about it recently so I might expedite my plans.

Lain

To be honest I sorta disliked the first season of Symphogear because of the overtly played
something bad bad very bad will happen to Hibiki because narator girl is speaking from future knowledge
which was then hand-waved away after it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom