• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-OT- Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey 2017 - Return your form by 27 Oct

TwiztidElf

Nice OP.

A national disgrace and a chilling vision of the future where extremely wealthy church groups are able to openly enforce their will on the general population under the cover of “religious freedom”.

I voted yes and felt awful for having to do it.
^ Great post.

I have no real care or skin in the game either way, but I voted yes because:
1) I don't believe in denying fellow Australians basic human rights. This is why I'm angry and I don't believe in this survey. Basic human rights cannot be debated.
2) I have no business denying fellow Australians their right to peacefully pursue happiness.

People who vote No are cruel selfish arseholes as far as I'm concerned.

Poona

I'm not for or against same sex marriage. Seeing as I'm not against it I voted yes.

If the question asked me should people be able to marry lamp posts, or their letterbox or a bucket or some grass I would have said yes too. It doesn't hurt me, it doesn't hurt others. It's just about that person's life really and if they want to marry a piece of grass and no-one else is getting hurt then go for it, I have no issue.

If it asked me about people getting married to kids or animals then yeah I have issue as kids and animals are feeling and can't properly consent to it, and could be open to certain types of abuse through it.

Shandy

A shitty, cowardly idea that withholds the happiness of a vulnerable community and delays proper recognition and respect for their relationships that only went ahead so that Turnbull's pathetic arse could avoid copping a knife for another few months.

MarionCB

I voted yes, obviously, because I'm not a piece of shit. But I'm disgusted by the entire idea of this survey; the very idea of voting whether some people should have a basic human right makes me sick. Also, even if the LNP do pass it, they will stack it with "religious freedom" (ie. legal bigotry) and other bullshit to ensure everyone knows it is a second class form of marriage.

This should simply be passed by Parliament, and as someone who wants to marry her partner and has had to already wait for years and years, I'd still prefer to wait until a decent party (ie. Labor/Greens) passes it so it's done properly. I've been fighting for this for so long, I just feel such an incredible bitterness about the whole thing. I feel if we do win, it will be for the teenagers now, so they can grow up with some hope and optimism, and some belief in a fair society. It feels too late for me.

Isotropy

Let's destroy all sensible precedent and put the rights of an abused minority up to mob rule!

Fuck the Coalition for this disgrace. Hope those fuckstains lose everything.

Pretty much everyone I know is voting yes thankfully. I still think it's a fucking disgrace that it's even a thing, a vote for equal rights in 2017 shouldn't be happening. Just pass it into law and fuck the bigoted cock wombles who oppose it. The odd person I know who is arguing is doing so from completely pointless views, one said he doesn't agree with the word marriage being used because it implies religion, after an hour or so of explaining it all to him he just looked confused and said he doesn't agree with the word marriage being used.... I gave the fuck up, bigots will hide behind the flimsiest shite so they can maintain their bigotry isn't really bigotry.....

The biggest worry for me is how many adverts are running on TV by the No campaign pushing the view that the yes campaigners have bullied them and it's ok to vote no as some sort of protest against being told what to do. FUCK OFF you crazy bastards, the no campaign is not about having an actual real reason for voting no, it's about giving people a flimsy excuse for their bigotry.

hirokazu

The Australian has consistently stuck with SSM in their headlines.

Today's update is that there has been an additional 800,000 surveys received and counted since last week.
Huh, I always assumed no counting of votes would be done until after the deadline, like how elections are conducted.

Huh, I always assumed no counting of votes would be done until after the deadline, like how elections are conducted.

This is a survey so the provisions about security / secrecy of ballots do not apply unless specifically directed / legislated.

The counting is being done progressively to allow for an early result, and while the number of forms completed is being reported on a weekly basis, there will be no public announcement of the count (for the same reason there's no publication of results before polls close on polling day: you don't want to bias the result)

Pretty much everyone I know is voting yes thankfully. I still think it's a fucking disgrace that it's even a thing, a vote for equal rights in 2017 shouldn't be happening. Just pass it into law and fuck the bigoted cock wombles who oppose it. The odd person I know who is arguing is doing so from completely pointless views, one said he doesn't agree with the word marriage being used because it implies religion, after an hour or so of explaining it all to him he just looked confused and said he doesn't agree with the word marriage being used.... I gave the fuck up, bigots will hide behind the flimsiest shite so they can maintain their bigotry isn't really bigotry.....

The biggest worry for me is how many adverts are running on TV by the No campaign pushing the view that the yes campaigners have bullied them and it's ok to vote no as some sort of protest against being told what to do. FUCK OFF you crazy bastards, the no campaign is not about having an actual real reason for voting no, it's about giving people a flimsy excuse for their bigotry.

“I would vote yes but one guy on the other side of the country who I don’t know and will never meet said he wasn’t happy with religion so sorry gay people but I can’t support your right to get married”

Seems legit.

Crema

I voted yes because I think boys should be forced to wear dresses to school and I want to marry the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Going to be very disappointed in the No campaign if that isn't the outcome of the Yes result.

Yagharek

Dutton is saying now that he expects yes vote to win, and the conservative no campaign pollies are now concerned about preservation of religious freedom (read: privilege).

Depending on how the conservative votes fall, I personally wouldn't expect to see genuine SSM legislation passed without a serious effort to enshrine the rights of bigots to discriminate first.

Dutton is saying now that he expects yes vote to win, and the conservative no campaign pollies are now concerned about preservation of religious freedom (read: privilege).

Depending on how the conservative votes fall, I personally wouldn't expect to see genuine SSM legislation passed without a serious effort to enshrine the rights of bigots to discriminate first.

I ... I don't know how this could possibly work. The Coalition SSM supporters would look awful , and there's not likely to be enough Labor Right willing to support this to make up the difference even if we assume that PHON would be totally onboard with this skullduggery (which they might). The Greens and Hinch already have publicly stated positions in contra to this. And NXT aren't likely to go along either. And if they don't pass this, their just giving Labor massive ammunition at the next election, because the LNP caIn't even commit to a promise they made to themselves. This is like shooting yourself in the foot with a rocket launcher. I suppose that Lambie and Leyjonhelm might back this maybe (it seems out of character for Leyjonhelm though, who'd rather repeal anti-discrimination law wholesale and Lambie will almost certainly base her position on how Tasmania's response on the survey goes. and that's likely to be slightly more supportive than Australia in general ) And the remainder of the cross bench who'd back this would rather vote No outright (and are probably obligated to for political reasons). This is rambling but that's because this doesn't make sense at all. Unless Dutton is planning to roll Turnbull before this gets debated and take the LNP in a way more conservative direction and I can't see how he's got the numbers, he'd end up with the same problem Turnbull does, except it'd be the Liberal moderate wing using their numbers and the lower house majority of 1 to make him dance like a puppet.

I mean Dutton must have a plan here. But unless his entire plan is to take a hard line position, watch it get trampled, and then say at least he tried, to burnish his conservative credentials for Leadership after Turnbull loses the next election , I can't see it.

kyser73

Scott Morrison is a complete cunt with his *its ok to vote no* post. https://www.facebook.com/scottmorri...309503&notif_id=1506250733734334&notif_t=like

You didn’t need to go beyond the first 6 words, but context & everything I guess :)

I can’t vote as I’m not a citizen yet, but I nearly used the vote for one of the previous owners of our house who we still need to take off the electoral roll since she’s moved to NZ.

Nearly, but I didn’t. It felt really weird even thinking about it.

Between this, the citizenship 7 & the incoherence around energy policy at a federal level I’m amazed this country functions sometimes.

You didn't need to go beyond the first 6 words, but context & everything I guess :)

I can't vote as I'm not a citizen yet, but I nearly used the vote for one of the previous owners of our house who we still need to take off the electoral roll since she's moved to NZ.

Nearly, but I didn't. It felt really weird even thinking about it.

Between this, the citizenship 7 & the incoherence around energy policy at a federal level I'm amazed this country functions sometimes.

We usually don't have a majority government in the lower house being held hostage by its own members. And given our extraordinary political history since ~2009 that's saying a lot.

Dutton couldn't possibly have high enough favourability to be a serious contender.

In a Roy Morgan poll in March, 5% preferred Dutton to be leader of the Liberal Party, or 6% of LNP supporters.
http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7...eaders-liberal-alp-march-20-2017-201703171658

Dutton's a proxy for Abbott/ ex-Morrison / PHON / Australian Conservative voters these days since he's about the only Authoritarian Conservative in the Liberal party who hasn't completely imploded. Though that's mainly because he's had the ministries Defence / Immigration / Orwellian Superministry where voters reward being a Genuinely Terrible Person rather than any greater personal competence, if he got one of the public facing roles like Social Service or Treasurer or Prime Minister he'd go down in a ball of flames too since his only positive aspect is that he's an Authoritarian Asshat given ministries that we reward people for being Authoritarian Asshats in. Morrison got by the same way until he became Treasurer and imploded in a ball of not being able to declare things On Water Matters.

Dryk

It's also pretty rich considering this whole affair is a transparent attempt at punishing the LGBT+ community and putting them back in their place for having the gall to demand equality.

You didn’t need to go beyond the first 6 words, but context & everything I guess :)

"It’s OK to say no.
A" ?
First 6 words don't explain much really.
Though if I've gathered this right you may be referring to the next 7 words about it being a message for his electorate? That makes me feel like I'm missing something though because that's a uh interesting position to take. Can't discuss anything a pollie says now unless who it's directed to includes one's self?

"It’s OK to say no.
A" ?
First 6 words don't explain much really.
Though if I've gathered this right you may be referring to the next 7 words about it being a message for his electorate? That makes me feel like I'm missing something though because that's a uh interesting position to take. Can't discuss anything a pollie says now unless who it's directed to includes one's self?

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the "Scott Morrison is a complete cunt". You don't need any context for that quote to be true.

Latest Morgan poll by party:

SSM-voting-intention.jpg

By Age:

SSM-vote-by-age.jpg

and by state/location:

SSM-vote-by-state.jpg

It's all over bar the counting, no wonder the likes of Dutton, Bernardi and the WA duo of Hastie and Goodenough have shifted to legalising discrimination and the desperate and pathetic last ditch "no" ads.

SSM-voting-intention.jpg

By Age:

SSM-vote-by-age.jpg

and by state/location:

SSM-vote-by-state.jpg

It's all over bar the counting, no wonder the likes of Dutton, Bernardi and the WA duo of Hastie and Goodenough have shifted to legalising discrimination and the desperate and pathetic last ditch "no" ads.
In this survey, 77.8% of votes are for yes which basically lines up with other polls.

wachie

SSM-voting-intention.jpg

By Age:

SSM-vote-by-age.jpg

and by state/location:

SSM-vote-by-state.jpg

As in most polls, the old folks are fucking over (in this case - trying to fuck) the future.

Interesting how close City and country are

Yeah that was a bit of a surprise.

It should be noted that the 21% that are neither "yes" or "no" is made up of two people: those that aren't voting and those that didn't want to answer. I suspect the majority of those that didn't want to answer are intending to or have voted "no" but don't want to admit it. They probably think the government are tapping their phones in concert with NASA and the BOM.

A reminder that tomorrow (the 20th) is the last day to request replacement forms if yours is missing, lost or damaged.

Polling currently looks positive for the Yes case but there's apparently 19% who plan to vote yet but haven't yet, if you're in that group I suggest you take yourself to a post box, the recommend return date is only 8 days away.

Bernbaum

News coverage on this seems to have fizzled and the outcome seems like a foregone conclusion.

Question now is how the results of a non-binding survey are going to be received by Turnbull's more conservative colleagues, whether Abbott plays silly buggers, and how quickly it's put through parliament after November 15th.

News coverage on this seems to have fizzled and the outcome seems like a foregone conclusion.

Question now is how the results of a non-binding survey are going to be received by Turnbull's more conservative colleagues, whether Abbott plays silly buggers, and how quickly it's put through parliament after November 15th.

The No powers that be , shifted gears when all indications where they were going to lose and moved on to "religious freedom protection" (aka rolling back LGBTIQ anti-discrimination law in the context of service provision to weddings somehow). Without a contest to report the media pretty much lost interest, as it does.

This is shaping up to be a shit show parliamentary vote wise , since Dutton, who is Turnbull's Right flank guardian has signalled religious protections get his support. And the political situation means that could prevent an untainted bill coming to the floor at all unless some Libs rebel, which they've shown no spine for yet.

If an untainted bill comes to the floor it should pass easily, there's enough on the record Yes Libs and Nats for that not to be an issue.

jambo

Man, SA at 44% NO, what the fuck.

A bit strange for a state that's had a Labor govt for about 15 years.

krioto

Received a nice leaflet in the mail last night from my local member tony-cunt-abbot, reminding me to vote no and save my children and way of life.

Happily, we've already sent our yes votes in weeks ago, otherwise he may have swayed me with his usual impeccable logic

This is a forgone conclusion. Before the survey was even confirmed to be going ahead you had Abbot/Abetz/Dutton bleating about the 'lack of religious protection' afforded by a plan they themselves devised. The hypocrisy on the far right is maddening, and they have given me no reason to believe they will accept the results in good faith, should the Yes vote prevail.

It'll just be another opportunity for them to push their culture war bullshit about how persecuted Christian's are because they aren't being given legal clearance to discriminate freely.

Also the state that elected Cory Bernardi. There's a few religious nutters here.

That's not exactly on SA , through the usual factional wheeling and dealing and branch stacking Bernardi got top spot on the Senate ticket IIRC, short of half of all Lib voters in SA voting below the line or changing party in response he was getting in. Tassy keeps giving us Eric Abetz for the same reason, and it's arguably the most left leaning state in the country.

bomma_man

That's not exactly on SA , through the usual factional wheeling and dealing and branch stacking Bernardi got top spot on the Senate ticket IIRC, short of half of all Lib voters in SA voting below the line or changing party in response he was getting in. Tassy keeps giving us Eric Abetz for the same reason, and it's arguably the most left leaning state in the country.

To add to that Abetz had the highest number of last placings below the line (in a state that, iirc, votes below the line more than any other, proportionately). It’s a bit of a cathartic ritual among the Tasmanian left.

To add to that Abetz had the highest number of last placings below the line (in a state that, iirc, votes below the line more than any other, proportionately). It's a bit of a cathartic ritual among the Tasmanian left.

The funny thing is that even though Labor beat Liberal in Primary, due to I suspect the insurgent campaign from Lisa Singh, she was able to take enough votes below the line to allow Abetz to get elected first.

Bernardi did lose his No. 1 ticket to Simon Birmingham in SA but they were usually in opposite election years but I bet it annoyed Bernardi.

The funny thing is that even though Labor beat Liberal in Primary, due to I suspect the insurgent campaign from Lisa Singh, she was able to take enough votes below the line to allow Abetz to get elected first.

Bernardi did lose his No. 1 ticket to Simon Birmingham in SA but they were usually in opposite election years but I bet it annoyed Bernardi.

Singh attracted a lot of Green votes yeah , Green voters are consistently enormous bleeding hearts for any progressive who looks like they are being mistreated (see also Moore, Clover). We should probably move this thread to AusPoliGAF though since we're drifting fairly off topic now.

hirokazu

There were three old people wearing yellow safety vests that had "IT'S OK TO SAY NO" on them at the station when I was going to the bank. All white and probably 60-80 years old. They were holding pamphlets, at least one of which was in Chinese.

At least one woman gave them a dirty look and was visibly annoyed as they were blocking some of the stairs.

ramyeon

There were three old people wearing yellow safety vests that had "IT'S OK TO SAY NO" on them at the station when I was going to the bank. All white and probably 60-80 years old. They were holding pamphlets, at least one of which was in Chinese.

At least one woman gave them a dirty look and was visibly annoyed as they were blocking some of the stairs.
They were at a Korean Culture Festival I was working at last weekend handing pamphlets out in Chinese.

She asked me if I'd voted and said yeah, but I voted Yes and she sulked off.

Top Bottom