• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PUBG a GotY contender?

Wh its not released yet so can't say. They could hypothetically fuck up the game closer to release so Ill hold my breath on giving it any personal awards.

unrealist

I think GOTY awards are like movie awards, that don't just focus on gameplay and the fun factor. For example, many people love Star Wars, LOTR etc, but they don't always get the awards. I think there are other factors that critics consider, such as art, design, graphics etc..

I bought the game and regretted it. It's gets boring very quickly for me.........it's a shell of a game hardly enough to be a goty when compared to games like Zelda...

PUBG is TONS more fun than zelda and I ranked zelda as my #3 GOTY so far...Zelda can't compare to being in a squad with friends & it's down to your team and an enemy team.Watching two of your teammates go down,and you and your other friend take out the other team and get that chicken dinner..Such an adrenaline rush.

Zelda was good, but it's got alot of stuff I hope is improved in the next one.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think quibbling about early access kind of misses the point. The state of the game, or its release seems trivial in comparison to how many people are playing and enjoying a game.

Look at the sales, look at the concurrent player numbers, it is easily the game of the year.

I'll put more hours into it this year than in any upcoming year but I can't consider it game of the year because of an arbitrary classification system? Silly.

dommynick

Not on GAF, it has major defining features that GAF doesn't take to:
  • Multiplayer, specifically PvP based
  • PC only (for now)
  • Not AAA

You can even see the contempt of posters who have come in this thread just to say "What the hell is PUBG?" as if they couldn't just Google it in 5 seconds. How dare a game they've never heard of try to contend GOTY against whatever it is they like.

jambo

Winning a game of PUBG with your pals is easily one of the most exhilarating feelings in video games.

I've done it a few times now and everyone's hearts were racing. Definitely one of the most amazing feelings I have ever had playing a video game.

And somehow I've put 135 hours in to the game in the last 3 months.

I haven't played a game this way in years.

Even though it's fun and highly replayable, it's far to unpolished for me to ever classify it in a game of the year category. I reserve my goty for the most fun(game play), complete(game modes, what you do in the overall package), and artistic(graphics , sound) the industry has to offer. Pubgs game play isn't even very polished. It's simply just a fun idea for a game mode.

jet1911

It's my GOTY so far. The last time I sunk 180h+ in a game was Morrowind for the original Xbox. Can't wait for the other maps/features/guns they'll add!

Tagyhag

[*]PC only (for now)
  • Not AAA

You can even see the contempt of posters who have come in this thread just to say "What the hell is PUBG?" as if they couldn't just Google it in 5 seconds. How dare a game they've never heard of try to contend GOTY against whatever it is they like.

This is the biggest problem.

Being exclusive means it's missing out on over 50% of extra votes.

Wedzi

Banned
It's definitely the game of the year in the direct interpretation of the phrase. It's like Hearthstone, Rocket League and Overwatch the following years it's the game the majority of the "gamer" populace is playing and talking about. Breath of the Wild is probably a far, but reasonable second to that given the exclusivity of that game.

Anything beyond that interpretation is just subjective sans adding up all the game of the year awards like Game of the Year Picks Blog does to try and form and consensus.

Aaron D.

I appreciate what Battlegrounds is doing for sure, though it's not the type of game I'm drawn to.

Still, I'm 100% sure it deserves GOTY nods, what with how it's exploded on the scene. All my regular gaming podcasts have been high on this game for months. So good on the game. Seems like it deserves it.

Also, LOL at Early Access being some kind of barrier to GOTY contention.

• PC only (for now)
  • Not AAA

I agree with this so much. I would add something else though:

NOT JAPANESE

Broank

Wow is it really that good?

It's kinda gone under my radar up till now. Is it a lot different than all the Arma/H1Z1/DayZ/ARK/Rust etc. battle royal modes?

Certainly. It's not mine for sure, but it has the makings of one.

I don't know why this needs to be a prerequisite.

Because it's a game still in development, but nowadays its complicated. I can see it being GOTY for some sites despite
Being in early acesss. At this point they should just release the game and patch it like they have been doing. Unless they are going to make major changes to it.

Trace

Banned

It's kinda gone under my radar up till now. Is it a lot different than all the Arma/H1Z1/DayZ/ARK/Rust etc. battle royal modes?

It's the most polished out of all of them. Minimal gamebreaking glitches, best designed map and probably the best in terms of gun-feel.

• PC only (for now)
  • Not AAA

NOT JAPANESE

That being said, if somehow Yoko Taro or Miyazaki were listed in the credits even as serving cofee to Playerunknown and the rest of his team GAF would be:

Godlike!
Incredibly level design!
Respects the player!
Japan is back!
Poor performance is suddenly acceptable!

PlayerUnknown is the same guy that made the Arma/H1Z1 Battle Royal mods (well, he consulted and licensed the mode to H1Z1). Spun it off into its own game, much tighter and better than the mods (though it's still very much early access). And yes, it's very, very good.

Of course.

It's an excellent game and provided it comes out by end of year, will likely take a surprising amount of awards.

It's easily the most tense game I have ever played. Getting to the final two, searching for that last person is horrifying.

roMonster

Of course.

It's an excellent game and provided it comes out by end of year, will likely take a surprising amount of awards.

It's easily the most tense game I have ever played. Getting to the final two, searching for that last person is horrifying.

Release next year and it can win goty twice.

drotahorror

Definitely not mine. It's alright but it's boring as fuck 95% of the time. And I don't get how so many people can watch this on twitch either. It's much more boring than playing it. I love watching the highlights and cool moments that can happen, but anything that's not one of those is usually not fun or entertaining.

I have definitely given it a fair chance imo.

RHkISDW.png

I will say I've had a great time a handful of times when playing with a buddy or two. It's usually due to us doing something stupid though to break the monotony.

AudioEppa

I think GOTY awards are like movie awards, that don't just focus on gameplay and the fun factor. For example, many people love Star Wars, LOTR etc, but they don't always get the awards. I think there are other factors that critics consider, such as art, design, graphics etc..

As they should, well maybe "should" is too much of a strong word. But all of those aspects are more important to me then just gameplay, so I would appreciate if they were looked at for why a game deserves GOTY.

A game like the last of us is dark and depressing. As I (the player) that's how I viewed ND's game world, but I still had fun on my journey through it. Even more so with the studios next game. Uncharted 4.

Gaming has been in this tug of war within our community of what games should represent the industry. People celebrated Overwatch winning some GOTY awards last year. But Uncharted 4 got the most wins.

My point being that we all have our personal preference of what games deserves to be nominated and win. But at the end of the day you can never predict what's going to happen. Last year I thought Pokémon Go was going to top everybody.

From PC to Mobile. Any game can win really. And I like that, I feel like it best represents how gaming has evolved over the years. It's so diverse now.

Grassy

It certainly is a contender, regardless of it still being in Early Access or not. It's probably going to be my GOTY, but there's no way it will win the GAF GOTY over Breath of the Wild, Horizon etc. I mean this year has been crazy already in terms of great games, and there's still plenty of big-hitters coming out. PUBG is hands-down the best multiplayer game I've played this year, no question about it.

I had a feeling this thread would have a high sodium content after seeing the title, but damn guys...talk about some embarrassing and salty posts...

Absolutely not. Its more of a mod/hack than an actual game.

Haha, trying to discount the fact it's even a game...what the hell? OK son.

There is a good chance the bubble is going to burst on this game before it leaves Early Access. Especially with the response to microtransactions.

I can't see the "bubble being burst" anytime soon, this game is a phenomenon and is still selling like hot-cakes. There are no 100% confirmed details on microtransactions for the full release, all the dev has said is there "probably won't be free crates" in the full release. They're only cosmetic items anyway so I don't see the issue.

This is a post you made in one of the Battlefront II microtransaction threads:
Free maps, weapons, characters, etc is the only time I'm okay with microtransactions in retail games.

Maybe COD will get it right next year...

PUBG has two new maps in development(with one close to release), they've been adding new weapons monthly and are also going to add new skins, all as free content.

So going by your own standards there shouldn't be an issue with the microtransactions in PUBG, right?

No, and I don't need to. I've seen enough of it played live to understand it. If they aren't careful this'll go the way of DayZ and collapse from a phenomenon to a tiny core group of players.

Again, not a chance this goes the way of DayZ. It's already a far better game 4 months after entering Early Access, and the support this game is receiving has been great so far and miles ahead of that turd of a game that's spent almost 4 years in Early Access.

Out-selling/out-influencing BOTW is debatable.

And it's more of a Playstation/Nintendo bias.

I agree otherwise.

As of yesterday, Breath of the Wild has sold 3.92 million copies - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1411359

As of the 23rd of June, PUBG hit 4 million copies - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1396062

As of the 22nd July, PUBG was over 5 million - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409235

In the 5 days since that last thread was posted, PUBG has sold another ~300k copies moving it to ~5,350,000 million sales according to Steamspy. Now take into consideration BOTW had a ~3 week head-start on PUBG, and PUBG has still outsold it by ~1.4 million copies. Hell there have even been more copies of PUBG sold than Switch consoles world-wide, there is no way Breath of the Wild will ever catch up. PUBG will probably eventually reach 10-15 million, and maybe a lot more.

Everything PS4 gets my vote.

Sony cheerleading for no apparent reason, oh my...

it would be a miracle if an early access generic survival game that looks like ps2 become a GOTY contender in the same year games like Zelda Botw, Resident evil 7, Yakuza 0, horizon, Evil within 2, and many more has come out

PUBG has easily outsold all of those games you mentioned. It's far from a miracle for a popular game to become a GOTY contender, no matter what you think it looks like.

MartyStu

I had peripherally heard of this game but had not really seen what it was about until today.

This is a really cool idea. And even though it is not my cup of tea, I can instantly see why people take to it.

I foresee a ton of clones in the future and that fact alone suggests it should be a contender.

Ascenion

I'm going to need it to actually release before we start this conversation. An unfinished game shouldn't be winning awards of this type.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
exactly my thought

i don't understand how PC gamers keep playing the same shit over and over and over

it's like a cycle, a shitty looking survival early access game that never gets finished and plays like a ps1 game comes out and everyone plays it, a year later, same shit comes out and they forget about the previous shit and go to the next shit

i honestly cannot tell a single difference between those games, i played some of them and they are identical

now this is some high level shitposting

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I don't think early acces games should be eligible for legit GOTY awards. I like PUBG but it still feels like an early access game. Once it's actually finished and is released then it should absolutely be a GOTY contender.

Such a great game. Ive had so many great sessions playing and I would most definitely say its a GOTY contender. That first chicken dinner is something that sticks with you for a long time. 🐔🍗

Yeah I think it has a very good chance, I can't think of a bigger surprise hit this year it's one of the top played games on Steam, it's one of the top played/viewed games on Twitch, already sold 5 million copies, it's massive. So many people have gotten into this game that have never cared for this type of game before, it's really quite remarkable. I would like to see it win a few GOTY awards, I think it deserves it.

NOT JAPANESE

That being said, if somehow Yoko Taro or Miyazaki were listed in the credits even as serving cofee to Playerunknown and the rest of his team GAF would be:

Godlike!
Incredibly level design!
Respects the player!
Japan is back!

Man how edgy. I still wouldn't be saying any of those things.

jb1234

I've played it for a couple of hours and would say, no, at least not for me. It's very janky and is large stretches of boredom punctuated by occasional moments of excitement.

(But I don't think anything would take Hollow Knight off my #1 spot.)

Rhoc

If it comes out of EA this year I'm voting for it for sure. It's just too much fun for me and i already clocked 240 hours. You can play it solo, duo and squad and every mode has it's difference. Rolling with a squad of friends is just an awesome experience that not many games had for me personal.

Rncewind

exactly my thought

i don't understand how PC gamers keep playing the same shit over and over and over

it's like a cycle, a shitty looking survival early access game that never gets finished and plays like a ps1 game comes out and everyone plays it, a year later, same shit comes out and they forget about the previous shit and go to the next shit

i honestly cannot tell a single difference between those games, i played some of them and they are identical

NOT JAPANESE

Godlike!
Incredibly level design!
Respects the player!
Japan is back!

i can say one thing

this thread is shitpost goty winner

Top Bottom