• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to widow of dead Sargent: 'He knew what he signed up for'

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I can't necessarily fault his tacit honesty here. Of course this is all that military personnel are to someone like Trump: readily expendable assets he'll happily expend for the sake of never having to do any work or actual deal-making that diplomacy requires. He doesn't know the first thing about doing ANYTHING of value on his own, but he'll happily throw others at it until something works, regardless of the collateral damage.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I can't necessarily fault his tacit honesty here. Of course this is all that military personnel are to someone like Trump: readily expendable assets he'll happily expend for the sake of never having to do any work or actual deal-making that diplomacy requires. He doesn't know the first thing about doing ANYTHING of value on his own, but he'll happily throw others at it until something works, regardless of the collateral damage.

The khans said it best last year with Trump "sacrificed nothing" remark

You can fault people for explainable behaviors.

I get what you're saying though, and while I was as unsurprised as anyone that the sergeant was black, I doubt he'd have had anything more appropriate to say at a white dude's funeral. He used his own father's funeral as an opportunity to promote a building project, though I do buy that it could have been a sincere tribute. The only family are garbage people.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus fucking Christ he is a despicable little man completely devoid of empathy. Remember when they were calling this piece of shit the Comforter in Chief?

Jombie

Obama saluted with a coffee cup and the GOP wanted him hanged. All of this shit from the right and conservatives about their undying love for the troops has always been bullshit.

Shoeless

Trump supporters are probably angry at this widow for her getting mad at the President for "just telling it like it is."

The fact that Trump supporters never think he does anything wrong, and that it MUST be the mistake of other people is astounding. Even if he got all Harvey Weinstein'ed at this point, they'd probably blame it on the women somehow, and Trump was just a victim.

Mailbox

While this might be a giving him a bit too much credit, and it should be noted that I hate trump as much as the next gaffer, I think this is mainly an error of word choice more than anything else. (not that it would diminish anything...)

When I read that statement, what I thought he was saying was "Every soldier enters with the expectation that they may not make it out of service alive, but even when we are prepared it hurts all the same when they die." Which... isn't untrue nor is it a bad statement.

The problem is that Trump is a nitwit with the worst and most disrespectful word-choice in the history of presidents. The statement doesn't read as malicious when compared to other statements he's made like the ones to the gold star parents or to John Mccain.

Mind you, i fully understand that he does not deserve benifit of the doubt considering... well.... its fucking Trump: The pathetic president. But... idk... I just can't seem to get as mad about this one...

idk...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
While this might be a giving him a bit too much credit, and it should be noted that I hate trump as much as the next gaffer, I think this is mainly an error of word choice more than anything else. (not that it would diminish anything...)

When I read that statement, what I thought he was saying was "Every soldier enters with the expectation that they may not make it out of service alive, but even when we are prepared it hurts all the same when they die." Which... isn't untrue nor is it a bad statement.

The problem is that Trump is a nitwit with the worst and most disrespectful word-choice in the history of presidents. The statement doesn't read as malicious when compared to other statements he's made like the ones to the gold star parents or to John Mccain.

Mind you, i fully understand that he does not deserve benifit of the doubt considering... well.... its fucking Trump: The pathetic president. But... idk... I just can't seem to get as mad about this one...

idk...

I mean, even if you give him the benefit of the doubt, he’s the least erudite president in history. W. Bush must celebrate every time this fantafuck opens his noisehole.

idk...

Uh, he didn't sign up to die. Only a low empathy dumb ass would tell a widower anything like that.

Mailbox

I mean, even if you give him the benefit of the doubt, he's the least erudite president in history. W. Bush must celebrate every time this fantafuck opens his noisehole.

Oh absolutely. That's actually kinda my point actually :p

Uh, he didn't sign up to die. Only a low empathy dumb ass would tell a widower anything like that.

My point is that what was likely meant was "he signed up with the knowledge he might die" not "he signed up to die".
I know full well that Soldier don't sign up to die, and I also point out that if Trump meant the former, he needs to stop talking like a 5th grader and learn to english better.

woolley

idk...

Yea, people know that there is a chance when they sign up but that is irrelevant and insensitive to say to a widow who's husband just fucking died.

Africanus

idk...

Eloquence can be everything, and his lack of it speaks volumes to how much he cared to comfort that woman.

Nafai1123

Banned

idk...

Good for you giving the benefit of a doubt to a fuckwad.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Kneeling during anthem -> Disrespecting the military, disgusting

Saying thats what you get to a vet's widow while she cries on his casket -> Just some good presidential shit
It's like with news dying down about the kneeling, he's replacing it with actual disrespect.

SCChappy

Banned
after every thing hes said and done we still have people here defending him and giving him the benefit of the doubt

fuck off

Mailbox

Ya'll stay giving this whole ass bitch the benefit of doubt on everything. Christ.

uhmmm... I don't give this guy the benifit of the doubt... basically ever... Not on his campaign, nor in his presidency.

Rather I look at that statement, and how people reacted to it and I saw, for once, a weird disparity. Basically this poster's response to my statement is exactly my conclusion in all this.

Eloquence can be everything, and his lack of it speaks volumes to how much he cared to comfort that woman.

This isn't an issue of meaning, its an issue of a lack of professionalism and effort which shows disrespect for a fallen soldier and their widow.

I don't think this is something Trump should get away scott free on this or anything, rather its just a different problem than what people in this thread seem to assume... i guess is what i'm saying...

Good for you giving the benefit of a doubt to a fuckwad.

Say what you really mean.

RDreamer

Have to wonder if his staff didn’t want him to call for this very reason and some even went so far as to make excuses, like other presidents didn’t, just to try and convince him not to pick up a phone and go off script.

the chris

I can't wait for Trump to decry this as "fake news" and Sarah Huckabee-Sanders to spin the story as the soldier's widow making this up to try and make Trump look bad.

uhmmm... I don't give this guy the benifit of the doubt... basically ever... Not on his campaign, nor in his presidency.

Rather I look at that statement, and how people reacted to it and I saw, for once, a weird disparity. Basically this poster's response to my statement is exactly my conclusion in all this.

This isn't an issue of meaning, its an issue of a lack of professionalism and effort which shows disrespect for a fallen soldier and their widow.

I don't think this is something Trump should get away scott free on this or anything, rather its just a different problem than what people in this thread seem to assume... i guess is what i'm saying...

Say what you really mean.

I mean you are also just looking at the words. Which were completely shitty. There is a larger context. He literally had days to come up with something better.

And the only reason he called her was bc he got called out by the media. And hw tried to get out of it by throwing Obama and Bush and under the bus. And everyone shat on him for that.

So he reluctantly calls a widow and delivers those comments? Fuck that.

He has access to an entire godamn commu ications team and elected officials that could have given him this dudes life story.

Its with a heavy heart I call...nation and I give its gratidude....*childrens name here* had an amazing and brave father....the nation mourns your loss...

There. Done.

Every day we are kindly reminded by Trump himself that he is a disgusting vile piece of shit.

Calling Trump a horrible person is not an insult or opinion, it's a goddamn fact.

Dis gus ting

Top Bottom