• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand new Sony Japan Studio game - Panopticon (Trailer up, announcing May 21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
They can do both. Having seen only the trailer. if it ends being an action hunting game it looks and probably plays completely different from Soul Sacrifice.
I guess that's true, and even if it played the same, it doesn't mean they couldn't make both, they're very different visually, and thematically no doubt. Just seems odd to me.

crinale

Looks interesting, I imagine it's for Vita, strange though, certainly looks to evoke MonHun, and if so, why SS? Are they not going to iterate on it? That seems short sighted.

It's like saying they have Killzone so no more FPS is needed from them (or they have GT so why make DriveClub?)
Of course a game company can produce more than one game to the same genre :)

B.O.O.M

woah I LOVE the music...art style is good...that setting is very interesting..a countdown on everyone, alternative reality? setting is very intriguing

I want to see gameplay and hopefully this is for vita. (could be anything really..I mean are we really going to call every game with a big boss to fight with group members a hunting game? :S)

And I HOPE you can actually ride a mecha beast in the actual game too..would be badass

Have to say since the new guy took over SCEJ, they have been pumping out some really cool stuff at much faster rate than before. Good to see

Takao

Banned
It's like saying they have Killzone so no more FPS is needed from them (or they have GT so why make DriveClub?)

People do question why they make other FPS, and racing games though ...

StuBurns

Banned
Well I would argue Sony shouldn't be making a second major shooter franchise, Resistance was a mess, and was always compared negatively to Killzone, and Sony ended the franchise, and MS are wise enough not to have a rival to Halo made internally.

Secondly, I don't think GT and DriveClub is an apt comparison. One's a track sim, one's not. It would be more like if Sony made Gran Turismo and Forza, and I would suggest they not do that too.

I also think it's a bad idea because of platform library diversity. Lots of reasons really.

woah I LOVE the music...art style is good...that setting is very interesting..a countdown on everyone, alternative reality? setting is very intriguing

I want to see gameplay and hopefully this is for vita. (could be anything really..I mean are we really going to call every game with a big boss to fight with group members a hunting game? :S)

And I HOPE you can actually ride a mecha beast in the actual game too..would be badass

Have to say since the new guy took over SCEJ, they have been pumping out some really cool stuff at much faster rate than before. Good to see

I find it fascinating that SCEJ's output is getting better after a Westerner took over and brought in Western talent to head projects. Both Knack and Puppeteer are led by western people. Is the talent pool in Japan drying up that badly? I suppose there is a noticeable lack of fostering young developers over there, as evident by the lack of a good indie scene. What are teens going into? Engineering and accounting instead?

crinale

Well I would argue Sony shouldn't be making a second major shooter franchise, Resistance was a mess, and was always compared negatively to Killzone, and Sony ended the franchise, and MS are wise enough not to have a rival to Halo made internally.

Secondly, I don't think GT and DriveClub is an apt comparison. One's a track sim, one's not. It would be more like if Sony made Gran Turismo and Forza, and I would suggest they not do that too.

I also think it's a bad idea because of platform library diversity. Lots of reasons really.

That's where I disagree with actually. People (ones not interested) generalize arena-based cooperative boss battle genre too much...

crinale

You don't know what this game is, so you can't possibly know how different it is to SS.

You don't know how it would be same to SS either :)
Well, I just made an assumption that it's more like God Eater (at this point I think it will be likely, though I maybe wrong).

BadWolf

I find it fascinating that SCEJ's output is getting better after a Westerner took over and brought in Western talent to head projects. Both Knack and Puppeteer are led by western people. Is the talent pool in Japan drying up that badly? I suppose there is a noticeable lack of fostering young developers over there, as evident by the lack of a good indie scene. What are teens going into? Engineering and accounting instead?

Management seems to be a general problem in Japan, look at Square.

B.O.O.M

Their website told me they have over 400 people.

Fuck Yeah!

I hope this is single player JRPG! And Vita exclusive.

welp SCEJ is much bigger than i had imagined then...can't blame me given their output in the past few years

Well maybe it's strictly a management issue? Mismanagement of human resources leading to longer dev cycles etc (like with TLG). My guess would be that's the reason behind the change. They must have brought western approaches to game development with them to the SCEJ and it started to change the studio. Good for them too. I mean if this is not the game Toyama working on, then they have even more games to reveal in the future. (Gravity Rush 2?) I love it. Hope they keep this up

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Why is there even an argument about this game resembling monster hunter and or that it they couldn't coexists together when A) There is no imminent Monster Hunter on Vita and B) This probably looks more like Phantasy Star Online.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Those are just two games though. This game alone looks cooler than both the games you mentioned. All these games are still Japanese developed.

Takao

Banned
If anything SCEJ's output has worsened:

2006:

Gunparade Orchestra: Shiro no Shou
Rule of Rose
Yarudora Portable: Blood The Last Vampire
Tourist Trophy
Siren 2
Bleach: Hanatareshi Yabou
Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner
Derby Time 2006
Blade Dancer: Sennen no Yakusoku
Bomberman: Bakufuu Sentai Bombermen
I.Q. Mania
XI Coliseum
Gunparade Orchestra: Midori no Shou
Doko Demo Issho: Let's Gakkou!
Boku no Natsuyasumi Portable: Mushi Mushi Hakase to Teppen-yama no Himitsu!!
Brave Story: Wataru no Bouken
Brave Story: Aratanaru Tabibito
LocoRoco
Saru Get You: Million Monkeys
Bleach: Heat the Soul 3
Gunparade Orchestra: Ao no Shou
Blood+ Souyoku no Battle Rondo
Tama-Run
Blood+ Final Piece
Minna no Tennis
Bleach: Blade Battlers
Tenchi no Mon 2: Busouden
Mainichi Issho
Genji: Kamui Souran
Jeanne d'Arc
PaRappa the Rapper
Saru Get You: Pipo Saru Racer
Wild ARMs: The Vth Vanguard
P-Kara
Kazuo
Gran Turismo HD Concept

2013:

Soul Sacrifice
Puppeteer
Rain
Gran Turismo 6
Over My Dead Body 2 (?)
Knack (?)
The Last Guardian (?)
Panopticon (?)

I'm comparing these two years because they both had a young handheld, an aging home console, and a successor in the immediate future to support. Their output has declined dramatically.

Wynnebeck

Banned
You don't know how it would be same to SS either :)
Well, I just made an assumption that it's more like God Eater (at this point I think it will be likely, though I maybe wrong).

Haven't you heard bro? All SCEJ pumps out now are MH clones to compete with MonHon. There's no chance this is a different game altogether!

Those are just two games though. This game alone looks cooler than both the games you mentioned. All these games are still Japanese developed.

For sure, but at the same time isn't the head of SCEJ a westerner? Seems like the ship has been tightened up a lot over there, didn't mean to dismiss all of their talent. I am a big fan of Toyama and hope he is working on GR2 as we speak, but as a whole SCEJ seemed to need a good amount of western help to get this point. Even TLG has been getting help from Santa Monica.

DJIzana

I'm wondering if it IS actually tied to Death Note?

You have a character that looks like Light Yagami, you have criminals, you have that counter above their head... maybe those huge things are Shinigami or are tied to them?

prwxv3

Haven't you heard bro? All SCEJ pumps out now are MH clones to compete with MonHon. There's no chance this is a different game altogether!

And that still does not make sense considering God Hunter 2 and Toukiden are not from SCEJ. They helped with Soul Sacrifice and that is it.

If anything SCEJ's output has worsened:

2006:

Gunparade Orchestra: Shiro no Shou
Rule of Rose
Yarudora Portable: Blood The Last Vampire
Tourist Trophy
Siren 2
Bleach: Hanatareshi Yabou
Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner
Derby Time 2006
Blade Dancer: Sennen no Yakusoku
Bomberman: Bakufuu Sentai Bombermen
I.Q. Mania
XI Coliseum
Gunparade Orchestra: Midori no Shou
Doko Demo Issho: Let's Gakkou!
Boku no Natsuyasumi Portable: Mushi Mushi Hakase to Teppen-yama no Himitsu!!
Brave Story: Wataru no Bouken
Brave Story: Aratanaru Tabibito
LocoRoco
Saru Get You: Million Monkeys
Bleach: Heat the Soul 3
Gunparade Orchestra: Ao no Shou
Blood+ Souyoku no Battle Rondo
Tama-Run
Blood+ Final Piece
Minna no Tennis
Bleach: Blade Battlers
Tenchi no Mon 2: Busouden
Mainichi Issho
Genji: Kamui Souran
Jeanne d'Arc
PaRappa the Rapper
Saru Get You: Pipo Saru Racer
Wild ARMs: The Vth Vanguard
P-Kara
Kazuo
Gran Turismo HD Concept

2013:

Soul Sacrifice
Puppeteer
Gran Turismo 6
Over My Dead Body 2 (?)
Knack (?)
The Last Guardian (?)
Panopticon (?)

I'm comparing these two years before they both had a young handheld, an aging home console, and a successor in the immediate future. Their output has declined dramatically.

Quality>quantity.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Crim graduates unite.
Anyways, panopticism is when you assume that you're constantly being watched as the State has the power to do that, so you shape your behaviour with that in mind.

In this series, everyone is probably given a chip at birth so they can easily be labeled as a number, easily traceable...

The android/cyborg is probably mistaken as a human girl by the protagonist (new love interest?), she also sees everyone as a number.

I'm willing to bet people have expiry numbers too.

They're watching you!

This is definitely a Vita game, gem, get hype, get happy!

BadWolf

I'm comparing these two years before they both had a young handheld, an aging home console, and a successor in the immediate future. Their output has decline dramatically.

They are clearly back on track now, with many promising new IPs.

Kysen

Looks like God eater meets Death note. Now if they can have a soundtrack just as awesome as GE then day one buy.

AmanoBuff

Definitely too many story elements going on for it to be a straight MH clone. Also, those look like actual characters instead of the more generic ones of the MH genre.

Hopefully for Vita. Really digging the overall design sense for this one.

Takao

Banned
Also, how many of those were just published by SCEJ?

What do you mean published? I listed no localizations in that post, but I did use collaborations. If I didn't their 2013 lineup would be dire:

Puppeteer
The Last Guardian (?)
Knack (?)

I left Panopticon off that list since we don't know if it's an internal project yet.

What do you mean published? I listed no localizations in that post, but I did use collaborations. If I didn't their 2013 lineup would be dire:

Puppeteer
The Last Guardian (?)
Knack (?)

I left Panopticon off that list since we don't know if it's an internal project yet.

Gotcha. I meant it more in a support manner or even just straight up hey we will fund/publish this for you. Like Bomberman for instance, was curious in what manner they were involved if at all.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Puppeteer
The Last Guardian (?)
Knack (?)

SCE Japan Studio incubates, and collaborates a lot of development I imagine. No brainer being located in Tokyo with all those freelancers and indie studios looking for projects to work on.

Takao

Banned
same day as the next Xbox reveal. SCEJ sure has a lot of balls

For Microsoft employees, the day they unveiled the new Xbox was one of the most important days of their lives. But for Japan ... it was Tuesday.

Gotcha. I meant it more in a support manner or even just straight up hey we will fund/publish this for you. Like Bomberman for instance, was curious in what manner they were involved if at all.

I haven't a clue. Their logo is on the box so they were involved to some degree.

crinale

... Or they couldn't care less. This teaser and the announcement of the game was geared towards people living in Japan in the first place.

..and that's exactly why another MH clone (lol) doesn't hurt.
BTW if we were in 90's this sure would be RPG.
(There's a chance that Panopticon will be a RPG too, but who knows).

B.O.O.M

Definitely too many story elements going on for it to be a straight MH clone. Also, those look like actual characters instead of the more generic ones of the MH genre.

Hopefully for Vita. Really digging the overall design sense for this one.

To be fair, SoulSacrifice 'imo' has a fantastic story/lore behind it

Gbraga

Even if it is Monster Hunter like, just the fact that the story seems to be such a big focus already makes it very different imo

I really hope it's not a Vita exclusive, I want to play this :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom