• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

scitek

I think the post citing extra QA nailed it. These features are glitchy when simply turned on, and they will require some time to get working correctly. Still, it's funny to see things like the gas station explosion still in there among the files.

Alej

Banned
It seems you all blame consoles, parity, etc. But then there is only two ways to understand this:
- performance is altered in a good way (that's how things are presented here), then no one understand why those effects weren't in the game in the first place, etc... Performance on PCs would have been better with more polishing it would seem. But then, if performance is indeed better, why wouldn't it be better on consoles too? This is a real question.
- performance is altered in a bad way (that's not how things are presented here), then we could conclude somehow that Ubi didn't want to implement very unstable effects for 99% of their customers.

Option 2 would be less cringe worthy.

At the end of the day, this game seems to be caught between PC CPUs not being efficiently used and GPU compute barely touched on consoles. That's not a next gen game at heart.

danwarb

I think the post citing extra QA nailed it. These features are glitchy when simply turned on, and they will require some time to get working correctly. Still, it's funny to see things like the gas station explosion still in there among the files.

Yeah, this stuff was most likely left behind to tailor and optimize the game for console. The new look got all the QA.

It fixes bugs that aren't in the console versions Alej. Console got the polish.

kanuuna

Headlight shadows is huge. And getting the old textures with POM would be even bigger.
This combined with the freecam and timestop kind of make me want to pick up the PC version just to snap some screenshots. I'm sure the High-res Screenshot community is going to love this.

PC have graphics options. You have what you have now as the 'High' setting and you have the better effects as 'Ultra' with a warning that you will need a top of the line rig to run it or something. There. Problem solved.
Options that they would have to give support to, which they might not be willing to allocate time on what was an already rushed project.

pa22word

That explanation flies out the window when one dude in his spare time got around to fixing the stuttering issues plaguing the game since launch, reimplemented all this shit, AND improved general performance.

If Ubisoft expects PC gamers to buy their $60 products, and I'm sorry but shit guys holy fuck, then they should be assed to give even half a fuck and fix the performance problems before a customer upset with what he bought has to reverse engineer the game and do it himself.

danwarb

That explanation flies out the window when one dude in his spare time got around to fixing the stuttering issues plaguing the game since launch, reimplemented all this shit, AND improved general performance.

If Ubisoft expects PC gamers to buy their $60 products, and I'm sorry but shit guys holy fuck, then they should be assed to give even half a fuck.

Some console optimization is probably responsible for the stuttering in the first place. Like the optimized for 30fps games we get.

If Ubisoft expects PC gamers to buy their $60 products, and I'm sorry but shit guys holy fuck, then they should be assed to give even half a fuck and fix the performance problems before a customer upset with what he bought has to reverse engineer the game and do it himself.
We'll see how it goes in the long term, the thing about these community fixes is that the onus of glitches are on the users, for some reason Ubi decided that would be better to not officially implement these features as tweakable options, and deadlines were probably the main reason for it.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
iJIW89B.gif

tumblr_moixogQT2J1rd35cbo1_250.gif

riflen

You mean Ubisoft's reality of multi-platform development.

No, I mean all developers. Another recent example, if any were needed, is Wolfenstein. The PC build has features disabled by default and hidden from the average customer who doesn't know how to use the game's console or config files.

These features make the game look much nicer, but have bugs that probably couldn't be fixed in the time the development team had. It's an old story and one that's not really worth getting in a froth over, in my opinion.

R_Deckard

I simply don't believe they turned all this off with only "Parity" clause at all, the effects seems to glitch and have issues, the Ultra Textures that consoles run have a POM like effect already and I think this is confusing some of the info here.

Intrigued I am so I will test this tonight on my PC and see that I get and post some detail on it..right now I am convinced this game was a rushed/many hands corporate solution cluster that no version is Optimised, the game needed another 12 months Minimum in the oven as the crunch never reached the Optimisation point IMOP!

Damian.

Banned
Looks better, but that DOF has got to be toned down or focus faster. The setting it is at now is strictly for screenshots, it's disgusting while you play.

pa22word

We'll see how it goes in the long term, the thing about these community fixes is that the onus of glitches are on the users, for some reason Ubi decided that would be better to not officially implement these features as tweakable options, and deadlines were probably the main reason for it.

The reimplemented stuff is neither here nor there for me, really, as has been said multiple times they were probably cut due to QA.

What chaps my ass, and I said as much in my post, is that he fixed the stuttering issues inherent and improved general performance. Now that? That's inex-fucking-cusable, no matter how anyone tries to spin it.

Is it possible that they let all this in the game files so they can "patch" it magically later so it don't look too soon way better than console versions?
Yeah I know what some may thinking reading my post but I really think it may be a possibility.
Do you guys know if there already had been this sort of trickery?

scitek

Looks better, but that DOF has got to be toned down or focus faster. The setting it is at now is strictly for screenshots, it's disgusting while you play.

He put it in as a proof of concept more than anything. I don't think he's released a version since adding it, but the next release will have the DOF farther in the distance to hide the LOD changes he's making. That, headlight shadows are supposedly fixed, and he claims he's playing with Ultra textures enabled on a single 2GB 680 and keeping a high framerate at all times.

You can supposedly also control how quickly the camera focuses on things, so maybe that could be tweaked, too.

Dennis

Banned
I am confused. Is this the thing we talked about in the PC thread?

Has the issues with broken lighting been fixed?

I am looking at the screenshots in this thread and I don't see what is new.

Is there an XML file or other that needs to be installed?

scitek

This uses the patch.dat/fat files to change things. No xml required. He's unpacking the game files, making changes, then repacking them as a patch.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
He put it in as a proof of concept more than anything. I don't think he's released a version since adding it, but the next release will have the DOF farther in the distance to hide the LOD changes he's making. That, headlight shadows are supposedly fixed, and he claims he's playing with Ultra textures enabled on a single 2GB 680 and keeping a high framerate at all times.

That makes me sick. I have friends on Steam who don't have more than 2GB's on their cards and would like to run Ultra textures. They don't even look all that great. This person is marvelous for going out of his/her way to make this happen.

God damned it, Ubi.

Seanspeed

Banned
It seems you all blame consoles, parity, etc. But then there is only two ways to understand this:
- performance is altered in a good way (that's how things are presented here), then no one understand why those effects weren't in the game in the first place, etc... Performance on PCs would have been better with more polishing it would seem. But then, if performance is indeed better, why wouldn't it be better on consoles too? This is a real question.
Because they were PC-specific optimizations?

he claims he's playing with Ultra textures enabled on a single 2GB 680 and keeping a high framerate at all times.
No shit? If true, it'll be hilarious for all the 2GB vRAM fear mongering that went on.

IF true, though.

red731

The first thing we've spoke in perf thread was XML by Kaidzait(?) and now, the user TheWorse, is working on this new dat/fat files or how do we want to call it. Both guys from guru3d (shoutout)

I am refreshing this page every minute - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390114&page=42

My GTX780 chews through these improvements. That could be hidden under the Extreme settings, I don't see why in the world would Ubi hide this unless for the console parity stuff and to sell more there.

My 570 (!) chews through them as well. It has very little impact on performance and fixes the stuttering for me somewhat. That is the great thing about this.

PC have graphics options. You have what you have now as the 'High' setting and you have the better effects as 'Ultra' with a warning that you will need a top of the line rig to run it or something. There. Problem solved.

The difference between 2012 and final release is more than just a few better effects, it's like a completely different game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_A6Z3gkXlk

The downgraded graphics are not too heavy on high end rigs. There is just stuttering, not framerate issues. And the stuttering issue is much improved with this mod.

They might not have wanted two different versions, or maybe really did not want a significant different looking game from the consoles. Plenty of people that may not care, but there could have been negative press if you downgrade things only for the consoles.

How many times it is sold or sales of other games tell nothing as you don't have anything to compare it to. Most of the times we don't get to know how many times it sold on the PC anyway.

It is on my rig: gtx 670/3570k/16gb ram, barely around 30-40fps in high/ultra. One of Ubi people on twitter said pc version sold 1m copies of FC3 and a press release before that had FC3 total sales at 6m. It's no secret AAA games sell a multitude more on consoles.

These changes don't seem to have much of an impact on performance.
It still runs better on far from high-end rigs, if the comparison is console (PS4/X1).

I think it's definitely gonna have an impact on performance because the 2012 graphics look much better, I would love to be proven wrong, I want to play the game with the original graphics.

And on what device was the 2012 trailer shown? Supercomputer?

Wasn't it a gtx680? So they prepared a demo optimizing the shit out of it for 1 single gpu.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Chû Totoro;116783870 said:
Is it possible that they let all this in the game files so they can "patch" it magically later so it don't look too soon way better than console versions?
Yeah I know what some may thinking reading my post but I really think it may be a possibility.
Do you guys know if there already had been this sort of trickery?

They practically did that trickery with AC IV for PS4 with a day 1 patch once the rabbit was out of the hat and making noise.

After buying Watch_Dogs and finding out how poorly optimised it is for PC, as well as how bland it looks, I'll never buy a Ubisoft game again unless I get it cheap.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
We'll try and do some videos of that mod tonight, but if anyone wants to upload any in the meantime on Gamersyde, feel free :)

MaLDo

No shit? If true, it'll be hilarious for all the 2GB vRAM fear mongering that went on.

IF true, though.

The game uses a very surreal texture implementation. For every texture, there is a basic texture with mipmaps and a higher resolution texture without mipmaps. Lower texture quality uses the medium mip of the regular texture as max. Medium texture quality uses the regular texture and high texture quality (called ultra ingame) uses regular texture BUT blend to higher texture for close ups. Close up distance depends of screen resolution. So it's a pixel/texel ratio in the end.

The problem is that I think gpu drivers are not optimized to load in memory every texture twice. They are optimized to mess with mipmaps to avoid shimmering and to save memory. Walking or driving in watch dogs implies you need to load a new big texture every time a material is near the camera. It's not the same that showing the big mip of the texture already loaded.

In one hand, using tweaks as always loading the big mip, can fix stuttering. But you will have shimmering here and there. I'm testing now with using ultra textures with or without mips as medium textures. So the game don't mess with double number of files, with good results.

Koshiro

A lot of jumping to conclusions here. As a programmer myself, I'm willing to bet that these effects are not in there because there are some bugs in specific circumstances that trigger full-blown crashes, and they weren't going to have time to get them working properly, so they just got pulled while they focused on other things.

GeNoMe

Is this real life? What in the actual fuck Ubisoft?
Ps4 and the Xbone could have ran this easily, nice job lying to your customers Ubi.

Real classy! I'm serious when I say that i'm boycotting them for a long long time!
They have some serious redemption to do!

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Wow if this is true then enforcing parity for the PC version is a pretty low act.

Perhaps Ubisoft were waiting until the console versions had run their course before 'releasing' an Enhanced Edition / Director's Cut patch for PC ... sort of like what GoG does since they put their gamers first.

Top Bottom