• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

wildfire

Banned
This causes me to be even more unimpressed with the PS4 version we got.

There is an overwhelming amount of evidence to indicate sheer laziness, on their part.

I usually hate when it when people toss around this term but this time I'm not phased considering how good Capcom's multiplayer RPG is supposed to look as well as the fact a whole bunch of files aren't enabled on the PC version.

Ubisoft should've been able to optimize a lot better for both the Xbox One and PS4. Feel sorry for you guys.

Dennis

Banned
watch_dogs2014-06-1610lst5.jpg

watch_dogs2014-06-161josi6.jpg

danwarb

SMH, why PC people getting angry at consoles for? It's not Sony's or Ubisoft's fault that even high end graphic carts come only with 3GB GDDR5 when even $400 PS4 comes with 8GB GDDR5. If PC gamers were willing to pay for more GDDR5 then maybe Ubisoft wouldn't have to remove effects.

There's only 8GB of VRAM in the PS4 is there's no system/game. VRAM obviously doesn't need to be a problem here. 2GB will already run much higher quality textures than the console version.

Dammit. Caught.

HariKari

There's only 8GB of VRAM in the PS4 is there's no system/game. VRAM obviously doesn't need to be a problem here. 2GB will already run much higher quality textures than the console version.

"It's always a question of compromise about the effect, how it looks, and the performance it takes from the system. On PC, usually you don't really care about the performance, because the idea is that if it's not [running] fast enough, you buy a bigger GPU. Once you get on console, you can't have this approach."

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/assass..._ac4_pc_optimisation_proud_of_pc_version.html

jacobeid

Banned
Wow, this is pretty ridiculous.

Proof that the PC version was gimped. Glad I didn't buy it (let alone that the game wasn't fun when I played my friend's PS4 copy for 3 hours).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
More evidence on how consoles are holding back PCs. As if we didn't already know. Sigh.

Game is shit no matter how it looks, though.

Tizoc

....and thanks to this I add the game to my wishlist in the hopes of getting it for $10ish or lower by next year~

This is definitely because they didn't want to make the PS4 and XBO versions look crap by comparison. Ubi Soft need as many consoles sold as possible and a star game looking so inferior wouldn't be good for business.

eso76

uhm...yeah, but what does it look like besides the stupid DOF ? because that has no point being in the game while you play.

Also, i still need to see a direct comparison of the same sequence demoed in 2012 in the final game, and same TOD and lighting conditions.

modulaire

Are there comparison shots with the retail version?

The new screens look good but there is so much bokeh blur/DOF-effect going on, it's hard to judge.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Hypron said:
This is a really realistic depiction of how I see things when I'm not wearing my glasses.
I doubt you see a hard-edge in the middle of your vision where blur begins/ends.

Seanspeed

Banned
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Ubisoft just didn't put in the effort necessary to have a good PC release.
If true, and one person is single-handedly fixing ALL this stuff, including important performance improvements, then there's ZERO reason why Ubisoft couldn't fix all this stuff in an official patch very soon.

We'll see if that happens....

Nzyme32

LMY3Du8.jpg

Wow

The only rational explanation for all this might be that actually ubi fucked up the console versions so badly that they decided to tone down the PC version fearing some kind of outrage or poor sales.

I do love a bit of tasteful DOF, but some of these shots are blurry to the point that either the main character or the cameraman needs to get to an opticians and get some prescription lenses asap. People standing on the other side of the road shouldn't be blurry unless you're doing an open-world game based in Glasgow, and the main character is permanently hammered.

"Wutch dugs? Aye, ah'll gie yeh fuckin Wutch Dugs, yeh muckle buffties! See this phone here, aye? Ah'm gunnae cheb yeh roond the head wi' it, then batter yeh wi' it until yeh keel over vomitin' teeth! Then ah'll hack yon traffic lights to make 'em all pretty like!"

I agree that in gameplay the DoF we're seeing in these screen is too much. It would be put to better use if it kicked in towards the end of the city blocks and beyond, particularly when the city's skyline is in the frame. That's generally much farther away than where the player is looking and would help to hide wonky LoD issues..

Also, I think beside the DoF and shadows, it's that fog/smoke/haze in the air of the 2012 demo that aided the visuals a lot. That along with the light halos + lens flares gave the look some grit. Even with this mod, the game still looks too "clean" IMO.

ignata

Just downloaded this and walked around for about 15 minutes. Holy shit, this is unreal. It would have been really nice seeing the game at this level of quality when I actually played through it. Also it's running completely smooth on ultra, and looks better than it did on ultra without the mod. When I played originally, I had to run it on high instead for no good reason. I really cannot get over this.

Seanspeed

Banned
Wow

The only rational explanation for all this might be that actually ubi fucked up the console versions so badly that they decided to tone down the PC version fearing some kind of outrage or poor sales.
Well Sony partnered with Ubisoft with the advertising of the game. Its possible that as part of the deal, the PS4 version was asked to look comparable to the PC version as much as possible in order to make the PS4 look better as a system.

GTX 660 2gb, 2500k @ 4.5ghz. Pre-patch i had an inconsistent framerate at lower settings and i also had bad stuttering. After theworsemod, i can put everything on high, except textures, and my frames are consistent AND the stuttering is gone. Jesus christ ubisoft, youre trash. Happy i didn't play through this game before someone fixed it.

Anteater

Good to know, not planning to buy it yet (it's not even out yet in my region) so hopefully the performance issues will be fixed when I decide to dive in, the game at its current state sounds like a bummer to play.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
That depth of field stuff looks like it may be for cutscenes or any other close up shot, and was just hacked to go into normal gameplay, where it clearly doesn't fit.

I haven't played it, but that's what I'd assume anyway.

BenouKat

Banned
I agree that in gameplay the DoF we're seeing in these screen is too much. It would be put to better use if it kicked in towards the end of the city blocks and beyond, particularly when the city's skyline is in the frame. That's generally much farther away than where the player is looking and would help to hide wonky LoD issues..

Also, I think beside the DoF and shadows, it's that fog/smoke/haze in the air of the 2012 demo that aided the visuals a lot. That along with the light halos + lens flares gave the look some grit. Even with this mod, the game still looks too "clean" IMO.

I hope the mod will correct the DOF focus like what we can found on Minecraft mod for exemple : DOF distance depends of the distance of the object focused by the middle cursor.

(I don't know if they can mod that ?)

scitek

I remember Digital Foundry saying rain being lit by headlights is disabled in-game in the final version, but still on in cutscenes. I have no idea why that would've been cut.

scitek

That depth of field stuff looks like it may be for cutscenes or any other close up shot, and was just hacked to go into normal gameplay, where it clearly doesn't fit.

I haven't played it, but that's what I'd assume anyway.

It's dynamic, meaning whatever you've centered the camera on comes into focus. You can tweak the distance and speed of what's in focus, too, so it's likely to be perfectly usable for gameplay with some tweaking.

BenouKat

Banned
Here are a few videos with the new settings..

http://a.pomf.se/amkeaz.webm

http://a.pomf.se/jbwyci.webm

Everything at Ultra (including textures) on a GTX 690 (sli disabled so basically a 680 2GB card, that's right....2gb with ULTRA textures) 1920x1080 res with TXAA 2 capped at 30fps using NVCP...

Now it does dip below 30 using Ultra textures but I can say for sure right now that if they manage to fix SLI on this game the 690 would handle this game with 30+ fps using Ultra textures for sure using these tweaks.

What this MOD/patch proves is that this game does NOT need 2gb+ VRAM for ultra textures and I hope UBI are rectifying that with an official patch.

The stuttering is gone for me, especially when using high textures, its non existent now (with SLI disabled)

Wait what, you are telling me that I can use ultra texture with 2GB VRAM now ? Without drop to 3-4 FPS ?

kinda wish AAA games would patch in new graphics and what not... but pretty much only indies and CDProject does that.

no clue why people are getting outraged here. Stuff aren't implemented for tons of different reasons, which mostly is due to time/money and QAing open world engines is a pain. I'm just glad people are figuring out some of this stuff within weeks of release.

people freaking out though, don't worry, they would have figured most of this stuff out for watch_dogs 2 in 2016 ;)

performance fixes is a bit odd though, im betting some of those tweaks will be what the 'official' update will be whenever that hits.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Ubisoft just didn't put in the effort necessary to have a good PC release.
Ubi PC ports are always really, really bad.

But never bad to the point of not only cutting graphical features but also reducing performance. Hanlon's would only apply here if Ubi was stupid to the point of assigning their cleaning staff to work on the PC version.

Serandur

Here are a few videos with the new settings..

http://a.pomf.se/amkeaz.webm

http://a.pomf.se/jbwyci.webm

Everything at Ultra (including textures) on a GTX 690 (sli disabled so basically a 680 2GB card, that's right....2gb with ULTRA textures) 1920x1080 res with TXAA 2 capped at 30fps using NVCP...

Now it does dip below 30 using Ultra textures but I can say for sure right now that if they manage to fix SLI on this game the 690 would handle this game with 30+ fps using Ultra textures for sure using these tweaks.

What this MOD/patch proves is that this game does NOT need 2gb+ VRAM for ultra textures and I hope UBI are rectifying that with an official patch.

The stuttering is gone for me, especially when using high textures, its non existent now (with SLI disabled)

Have you tried driving around? Any stuttering there?

Top Bottom