• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 |OT| It Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that I dislike the new Servo, but I feel the character might be better with a deeper voice.

Will just have to adjust.

Just started episode 2. It's funny, but I wish they didn't so blatantly put cuts in the invention exchange. Part of the hilarity of the old show was that some of those ridiculous host segments were done all in one cut.

After not watching much MST3K since it went off air and barely following their other projects, I watched up to the first commercial break...and was very entertained. I still don't care about the out of theater segments much, but the small amount I watched felt right in line with the old series, surprisingly so. I'm really glad to have this back, and I was highly skeptical. Either way, I was glad for it to be a new thing for new audiences, but I'm happy to enjoy it as well.

Tobor

Having some friends over tonight to watch Reptilicus. I watched it on the backer preview and I can't wait to watch it again and then dive into the rest!

Frenden

Banned
I don't want to keep farting up the thread with my junk, so check out my Twitter media feed if you want to see a bunch of early pre-production concepts.

I hadn't seen the Stranger Things mashup until today myself. That's a good way to show new audiences what the show is. Really dug that.

I'm really surprised at how much I don't mind the new voices of the whole cast. As someone who finds original season 1 Josh Servo unlistenable, and watched nearly all seasons as they aired, I thought the transition would be unbearable. This first episode is the first I've heard of any of them, and I find the transition easier than when Trace left.

"I'm different!"

Frenden

Banned
Happy to. It's hard not to post more after three plus years of silence, haha. I'm just so glad that most folks are enjoying the show!

bon

Watched the first episode. The new Crow is nailing it. Still getting used to everyone else. I always preferred Joel though, so it's not the first time I've had to adjust to a new cast in MST3K.

Glad to see that people are pretty unanimous on the jump from eps 1 to 2 and 3. I wasn't sure if it was them, or me adjusting to the rhythms, but it sounds pretty unanimous.

For me episode one just felt like three guys telling jokes. episode two and three felt like a guy and two robots making jokes because they're forced to watch bad movies.

Jonah wanting to explain the scene where the take off the android's head, and the two bots just being like, what, that's nothing special, they just demagnetized his head
is exactly what I felt was missing from the first episode, and that sequence is up there with my favorites I think.

I really hate Crow and Tom's voices. This doesnt bode well for my enjoyment of this show.

Was Bill and Trace not interested?

It was more that Joel wanted to go in a new direction. There were some hard feelings but everyone got over it.

Basically, Joel didn't want to do a revival show. He argued that if the show hadn't ever been cancelled that there's no way they'd still have the same cast as they did in season 10, and I think he's spot on.

The mads from season 8-10 (including Bill) do make a cameo though.

SirNinja

Four episodes in. Each one's been better than the last. Maybe that's just me warming to the new crew, but most of the riffs during [fourth episode]
Avalanche
were solid gold. (Doesn't hurt that the movie itself is unintentionally hilarious at points.
All the people driving like complete maniacs on extremely slippery roads then crashing...wtf lol
)

I have a feeling like I'll be watching this season with friends and family several times. Great stuff.

Brashnir

Either. I meant to say Bill and Kevin.

These new bots sound too similar.

I think it's like listening to a new podcast or radio show. At first, everyone who you don't already know from somewhere else and who doesn't have a super distinct voice sounds the same, but over time you start to pick up vocal mannerisms and can instantly tell each person from the others.

Tom_Cody

VPFeAiI.jpg

RetroMG

I started watching Starcrash, which I honestly kind of love.
Five minutes in: "Huh. I wonder if this would have been the big huge thing if it had come out before Star Wars."
Twenty minutes in: "NOPE."

pirata

I was a backer, so I've been watching for a few days now. I'm on Avalanche right now...and like everyone says, there's a HUGE jump in quality after the first two episodes. I thought the riffing was too fast and everyone sounded nervous for the first two episodes, but everything started coming together in episode 3, and episode 4, Avalanche, is fantastic so far, up there with the best episodes of the previous seasons. Everyone seems to be settling into their roles very well, and the riffing is feeling much more natural. I hope it keeps up!

mjc

Yeah they definitely fit into their groove around episode 3 or 4, it's really been a great surprise. I've already gotten used to the new voice actors for Servo and Crow too.

120v

four episodes in, definitely feels like a legit new season. there were a few clunker riffs on the first episode that made me a little wary but there's nothing that feels "off", not even chafing over the new crow

if i have to be nitpicky i miss the more low rent presentation of off-movie segments but that's nostalgia

Fury451

Banned
Either. I meant to say Bill and Kevin.

These new bots sound too similar.

That would be my only other major complaint, of three voices do tend a blur together. Crow sounds a lot like Trace to me though, he's probably the easiest to pick out when talking. Servos voice needs to be a little bit deeper or something to be distinctive.

I've watched about four or five episodes now, and I don't dislike the voice actor, but it's not getting any easier to identify either like it is for some people.

Made it through the entire run. Going back through it again, admittedly at a much lower pace this time and this time via Netflix!

I'm only on the first episode and I'm loving it. I'm glad to hear the quality increases, but I think episode one is great on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom