• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 |OT| It Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venture

After watching 20+ year old episodes for so long it's very weird hearing them make references to contemporary culture.

Just finished episode 2, what the fuck kind of movie is Cry Wilderness?
Seriously. That movie is one big pile of WTF?!

It's not even stock footage most of the time! So many of those animals were in the same shots as the cast. It was so weird.

He was massively dubbed.
Half the time it sounded like Alan Hale Jr. to me.

bndadm

Episode 1 is a lot of fun and contains the age old mix for me of obvious but funny humor and clever word play. I love it. So amazed its back so strong.

Still hard for me to tell the 3 apart though.

Mr. Hyde

Episode 2 killed me. That movie was ridiculous and I loved all the jokes. I talk the way they rapidly go on so it feels normal to me. I can't wait to watch more.

So far I've watched Reptilicus, Star Crash (Star Wars rip off with David Hasselhoff = instant classic material), and Yongery. Really enjoying the new season so far, the cast has great chemistry, riffing is solid (although as has been said by some it does seem like there is too much riffing at times, some moments in these movies need time to breath comedy wise which is part of why the classic episodes work so well), and skits and songs are great. I also find it hilarious how every episode opens with the recurring bit between Jonah and the 'bots where they're discussing something right before being interrupted by Jonah getting abruptly sucked into the umbilicus tube. lol Think I will watch Avalanche next. Ponderous,'70s disaster schtick with Rock Hudson sounds like a good, chill weekend episode. Also, my favorite line from Reptilicus: "Don't leave the battlefield before he dies so we don't lose all the XP!!!" Haha

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I wasn't sure about these new episodes until they murdered me with the reference to my favorite comedy of all time. "Candygram for Mungo!" When dropping bombs on Reptilicus.

Buckle

Woah, Cry Wilderness..

Just straight up about to choke a fucking raccoon out on camera.

Weird damn movie.

rec0ded1

Woah, Cry Wilderness..

Just straight up about to choke a fucking raccoon out on camera.

Weird damn movie.

zCmBCDq.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Cry Wilderness may be one of the worst movies they've ever done. Jonah has a riff near the end where he points out that the movie's mostly made up of random scenes that have nothing to do with one another and he's not wrong. The locations are absolutely beautiful though, so it has that going for it.

mreddie

First 3 episodes.

Jokes are way too fast, they hit but I feel if I laugh at one, I missed another good one.

It's insane. Felicia Day I'm meh on, Patton is Patton, he's good.

New Bots are good, Crow is almost Trace/Murphy like.

Jonah I still dunno, maybe he clicks before the season is done but so far, he's hit and miss.

Corpekata

Banned
Resubbed to Netflix for this and seems like Netflix is kinda borked for me. Really slow to load in general and selecting a video leads to errors. Anyone else having issues with it currently?

LaserHawk

Two episodes in and I'm not really liking it.

The changed cast and voices at the start really threw me off, but I know that things change and decided to give it a chance. The real test would be in the theaters seats with their jokes and quips, and that's where the show has let me down. Only a few chuckles from the first episode, slightly more in the second.

As people have said, they're rattling out their jokes too fast. It's like they're afraid of even the tiniest bit of silence. It doesn't help that most of the jokes seem like the first and most obvious thing to come to a person's head. I think if they took out half the jokes and were more careful of the timing of the remaining jokes, they'd come off a lot more funny.

The original MST3K had weak episodes. I would compare those to the two new episodes I've seen so far.

One other thing that bugs me is that Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt are such bland and uninteresting characters (Day more than Oswalt). It's like they didn't really work hard to develop a character and mostly seem like the actors but in silly costumes. Dr. Forrester and Pearl were leagues more interesting.

I'll keep watching but so far for me it earns a thumbs down in Netflix's ridiculous new rating system. (my star rating would have been kinder)

Brashnir

The best metagame for this season is noticing all the wardrobe, pose and angle choices they chose to hide Felicia's pregnancy.

Shit is awesome.

This opinion has been delivered. All others are invalid. So sayeth the Illuninati.

we made a movie and we're super open about it

Machine

In the old shows, I don't remember much continuity between episodes other than the occasional joke (they just didn't care). Maybe it was there and I just never noticed? This new season seems to have tighter continuity which rewards watching the episodes in order. In Avalanche they make a couple references to the fact that one of the actors was in the previous episode (Time Travelers). If you watch out of order, those comments could throw you.

120v

Avalanche was so terrible... that shit just went on and on and on

In the old shows, I don't remember much continuity between episodes other than the occasional joke (they just didn't care). Maybe it was there and I just never noticed? This new season seems to have tighter continuity which rewards watching the episodes in order. In Avalanche they make a couple references to the fact that one of the actors was in the previous episode (Time Travelers). If you watch out of order, those comments could throw you.

it's more or less always been like that. though this is the first season i've been conscious of watching episodes in order, since they're written knowing most will watch it over the course of a weekend

Sanjuro

I really enjoyed Cry Wilderness as well. Still have a few episodes to go, but arguably it seems to be the standout.

cj_iwakura

Episode 1 started slow, but boy once the monster showed up and that film went full HAM... grade A until the end.

In Denmark, Beatles chase you!
I can't decide, it all looks so good!
That's one epic D&D game.

That entire sequence was amazing.

Gypsy showing up was weird. What was the case she brought then took away?

I'm through 6 episodes (watched 5 on VHX, watching Starcrash and the rest on Netflix).

Good stuff. The comment about hearing contemporary references is spot on, that's weird but good. And the riffing has been good and movies terrible. I like both Felicia Day and Patton. Voices change, that doesn't bother me. And riff pace just means I'll watch everything a couple times like I have the others.

Starcrash, btw, is an abomination.

As I type this, Jerry Seinfeld just showed up. That Comedians in Cars visit paid off!

Venture

As people have said, they're rattling out their jokes too fast. It's like they're afraid of even the tiniest bit of silence. It doesn't help that most of the jokes seem like the first and most obvious thing to come to a person's head. I think if they took out half the jokes and were more careful of the timing of the remaining jokes, they'd come off a lot more funny.
It's not just the pace that's off. It's like each actor recorded a bunch of jokes and then they edited the best ones all together to make a show. There's not that feeling of some friends sitting down together to watch a movie. More back and forth and interaction between Jonah and the Bots would really help. Especially for establishing their characters in these early episodes.

It's not just the pace that's off. It's like each actor recorded a bunch of jokes and then they edited the best ones all together to make a show. There's not that feeling of some friends sitting down together to watch a movie. More back and forth and interaction between Jonah and the Bots would really help. Especially for establishing their characters in these early episodes.

They have amazing chemistry with each other in interviews. I'm sure it'll come with time.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I'm glad people are liking Cry Wilderness as much as I did. The thing about that movie that blew my mind the most was
I kept waiting for it to be a dream. Near the end I was like "and he wakes up now.....wakes up now?"
........0_0!!! So it was all real? He saw bigfoot, a tiger, an undead native american, a magic glowing amulet and so much more but it was all real...
that was insane in the membrane.

Venture

They have amazing chemistry with each other in interviews. I'm sure it'll come with time.
That's good to hear and you're probably right.

I haven't seen any behind the scenes stuff for the new show. Do they still record the theater segments in the same way? The three of them sitting next to each other in front of monitors?

Jake

That's good to hear and you're probably right.

I haven't seen any behind the scenes stuff for the new show. Do they still record the theater segments in the same way? The three of them sitting next to each other in front of monitors?

They apparently did not. For scheduling and/or "wanting to get the best take" reasons, actors and jokes were recorded separately and edited together. I think it was the reboot's only misstep and it's a big one. I hope that if there's a season 12 they relax that and go back to actually all watching the movie together.

thefro

Watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. I'd classify myself as a more casual fan who'd watch the show if I wasn't doing anything back when it aired on TV (and it was mainly the Sci-Fi Channel stuff).

The different voices don't bother me.

After watching 20+ year old episodes for so long it's very weird hearing them make references to contemporary culture.

I definitely noticed I got most of the references in the first episode. I'm sure some of that's me being older and wiser and part of that's me being in the same age group as the people writing the jokes.

They apparently did not. For scheduling and/or "wanting to get the best take" reasons, actors and jokes were recorded separately and edited together. I think it was the reboot's only misstep and it's a big one. I hope that if there's a season 12 they relax that and go back to actually all watching the movie together.

Any evidence of this? I mean Jonah interacts with the puppets after all.

cj_iwakura

That explains why some jokes preempt the visuals.

The raccoons in the cabin. Madness.

Sanjuro

Anyone could be moving the puppets and the dialog of the voices can be dubbed in later.

Not saying he's correct in his assertion, but it's not impossible.

And it would explain a lot of what's wrong with these new episodes...

What's wrong with these new episodes?

What's wrong with these new episodes?

The jokes are too crammed in on top of each other. The timing is off on many jokes. The chemistry seems to be missing for the most part (which is something that could just take time to form for these guys, but it's noticeable).

I'm not saying it's bad. I liked it well enough. Not a great season, but good. A solid C+ to a B-.

If they get a season 12 though, my number one wish would be to take a breath or two between jokes. It's hard to laugh when you're worried you're going to miss something, and it's hard to get into the movie even a little (which I think is essential to enjoying riffing) when you can barely hear it over the riffs.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
It's like they took Pierre's movie riffing style to heart.

Until they do Kickpuncher 2 they need to calm it down.

Sanjuro

The jokes are too crammed in on top of each other. The timing is off on many jokes. The chemistry seems to be missing for the most part (which is something that could just take time to form for these guys, but it's noticeable).

I'm not saying it's bad. I liked it well enough. Not a great season, but good. A solid C+ to a B-.

If they get a season 12 though, my number one wish would be to take a breath or two between jokes. It's hard to laugh when you're worried you're going to miss something, and it's hard to get into the movie even a little (which I think is essential to enjoying riffing) when you can barely hear it over the riffs.

I dunno. I've seen a lot of riffing. I'd put this series so far above some of the late 90s MST3K and recent stuff. I can see adjusting the timing to get rapid jokes off. They are all reading from scripts anyway.

I dunno. I've seen a lot of riffing. I'd put this series so far above some of the late 90s MST3K and recent stuff. I can see adjusting the timing to get rapid jokes off. They are all reading from scripts anyway.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Especially on putting this anywhere near the pinnacle they reached in the Sci-Fi years. I've said it before, but I'd put just about any episode from seasons 8-10 up against any other comedy from any corner of television.

But yeah. I'm not one of those #notmymst3k people. I'm not upset at having new actors and voices and all that. This show has the blessings of all of the old cast (though the old Mads didn't seem too thrilled at first), and the man himself, Joel, is behind it. So I'm excited that it's back. But the actual episodes, though they showed a lot of promise, left quite a bit to desired.

Fake edit: It literally just hit me that my favorite Joel episodes were his later ones; my favorite Mike episodes were his later ones. Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic were extremely spotty at first. I'm guessing it just takes a while to get into the groove.

That gives me hope for Jonah and the gang.

Blader

I'm only two episodes in, but the way the cast doesn't interact each with other during the movie has been bothering me, so that'd explain why. It's especially noticeable when Servo flies or Gypsy drops into the theater; the others never react to any of that even happening.

I'm only two episodes in, but the way the cast doesn't interact each with other during the movie has been bothering me, so that'd explain why. It's especially noticeable when Servo flies or Gypsy drops into the theater; the others never react to any of that even happening.

They interact with each other in other episodes. I'm fairly certain they do in the first two as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom