• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Stoze

It's kind of crazy just how much they changed their approach to storytelling in Destiny 2, not so much course correction as entirely throwing out the previous approach. It almost feels like skipping from s1-2 of Game of Thrones directly to s7, as if they tried to tighten things up but overcompensated and wound up with a world that feels significantly smaller.

It's hard to say it's worse this way as pretty much anything is a step up from not telling a story at all, but I did think the general scope and tone of Destiny 1 was somewhat unique, and it's kind of a bummer that instead of trying to tell a story within that original framework it's been left behind in favor of a more traditional David vs Goliath thing. I'm sure there's still tons of lore or whatever to be found in 2, but something about the original conveyed a feeling of history (and reverence for that history) even if you didn't go and read all the grimoire cards or whatever.
That kind of reminds me what happened when they went from Halo 1 to Halo 2 and beyond. Halo 1 had a lot of mystique and a larger than life feel to it, then 2 introduced talking aliens with a council of Elders/Hierarchs or whatever and most of the subtlety and mystery was gone from that point on.

The truth is I think Bungie has never been able to put consistently good writing into their games for whatever reason, and the more they lean into the story upfront the more it exposes that.

The duders should do F&Fs for the major John Woo films. Better Tomorrow 1 and 2, The Killer, Hard Boiled, Broken Arrow and Face-Off.

I don't remember Hard Target fondly, so they can skip it. Though it did give us this silly scene:

JCVD-Punches-a-Snake.gif

The duders should do F&Fs for the major John Woo films. Better Tomorrow 1 and 2, The Killer, Hard Boiled, Broken Arrow and Face-Off.

I don't remember Hard Target fondly, so they can skip it. Though it did give us this silly scene:

JCVD-Punches-a-Snake.gif

Hard Target would be the best candidate, what are you on?

Stoze

Also holy shit, nearly 80k people are watching a single person play the D2 raid on Twitch. I don't think I've ever seen that much for a stream that isn't an event or tournament.

mow2az9.png

Too many bombers are playing the game. It'll be top 10. THOUGH, I am excited of a vinny fillabuster.

It'll most definitely be on the list since more than 3 people have played and enjoyed it.
I wonder who is the composer for TEW 2. Can't find any links anywhere
https://youtu.be/STYQwzceWUM?t=45s
Sounds like NIN mixed with mick gordon
Man, I'm so excited for TEW2. Going in blind just like the first game.
Destiny has always been about shootin' shit with buds.
I have the same view of Halo.
Halo had interesting characters at the very least and something to care for which makes playing alone an enjoyable experience, unlike both Destiny games. Halo made me think about certain aspects of it even after closing the console. My thought process with Destiny ends when I close the console, there's just nothing to care for unless LOOT is your thing.
Rorie is a goddamn treasure.
I would have him on every video and podcast if I could.
I love his meandering nonsense.
Yes please.
It's been pretty easy to avoid any story stuff for Destiny 2 and it probably sucks ass anyways, so no worries there. If I'm going to be playing a loot treadmill for dozens of hours I want it on the best playing platform. Plus I can watch something on the second monitor while playing that is more entertaining, like UPF.

I can confirm that the shooting is good and the story is absolutely whatever. The feeling of it being something new is gone now when compared to the first game so, playing alone is really boring save for a few moments in the campaign and the gameplay.

Hasney

Steal My Sunshine into Easy Allies Nintendo Direct stream and PES 2018 unlocking at 11pm. I also have a case of Punk IPA. Should be a good night

Harpuia

I'm prepared to rally around the "Let PUBG be eligible for GOTY" banner if it means Destiny 2 doesn't get that spot.

PUBG does a lot of interesting things. Even if it is a concept that's been around longer than the game has, it executes well on the ideas and there's a level of craft to its parts (mechanics, map design, etc.) that puts it above all else.

Just like how Jeff and Ben talked about Fortnite's battle royale mode, which sound like it felt like little else but a cheap attempt at copying what's popular. PUBG is definitely a solid game that has been made well.

I'm well aware of how silly GOTY is, so I'm only like, half serious.

Well there's my outdated hottake.

ArjanN

Patrick Klepek had a really good "review" of it on one of the waypoint radio episodes, I forget which one. He basically said the more you play it and the more difficult it gets, it feels more like a fire emblem game rather than a x-com game

From what I've seen there's no real meta strategy layer in Rabbids like in Xcom, Invisible Inc, Jagged Alliance etc. so since theres no real consequences outside of the current battle it seems more along the lines of a puzzle game, and the stakes seem a lot lower.

The Room is basically a 90s FMV game without the game

Heh, basically. Although even something like Tender Loving Care is a coherent masterpiece in comparison.

BTA

Steal My Sunshine into Easy Allies Nintendo Direct stream and PES 2018 unlocking at 11pm. I also have a case of Punk IPA. Should be a good night

Steal My Sunshine -> Direct -> short break -> Friends at the Table stream for me, yeah, but today's gonna be good.

oti

Banned
They should stream themselves watching the Direct after they're done with Sunshine. I mean, come on. That's just too obvious.

I just finished World 2 of Mario and Rabbids and man this game is really, really good. The Switch has had an incredible first year so far. I think I know which scene Jeff was talking about that was so good at the end of World 2.
Peach coming in with a shotgun was pretty great and a nice way to play with expectations.

TheChits

They should stream themselves watching the Direct after they're done with Sunshine. I mean, come on. That's just too obvious.

I just want to say that their reaction to the Super Mario Odyssey e3 trailer is one of my favorite giant bomb moments in a long time. What a trailer

BTA

I just want to say that their reaction to the Super Mario Odyssey e3 trailer is one of my favorite giant bomb moments in a long time. What a trailer

I'm sad that the clip someone posted to YouTube is so small because the entire trailer's reactions + "evil wedding planners" are great.

...I'm gonna go watch it again right now.

Top Bottom