• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK set to trigger Brexit on March 29

When should the UK celebrate Independence Day?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a cabinet member that was (publicly) campaigning for Remain, she could, and possibly should, have stepped aside with little fuss and no one would have thought anything of it.

She knew it was a poisoned chalice (to continue mixing metaphors) before she ever picked it up. Anything she does as PM, such as ignoring Scotland to the point where a second referendum feels sensible and not the SNP pulling the piss, is on her and not Cameron.

Pretty much. It's Cameron's fault for this referendum but once Theresa May took power everything she did was just awful.

DavidDesu

Polls are worthless. We think common sense will prevail.

Wasn't there a recent ITV poll that in the small print admitted only 150 or so people out of a sample of over a thousand were actually in Scotland. It's messed up and the polls are most of the time highly skewed, intended to get the result they want.

You know what polls are cast iron ..? (Aimed at that EleventhHour person lol)... The 56 out of 59 SNP MPs elected to Westminster. The pro indy majority in Holyrood, and the 62% pro EU vote in Scotland. That's pretty substantial support.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
You know what polls are cast iron ..? (Aimed at that EleventhHour person lol)... The 56 out of 59 SNP MPs elected to Westminster. The pro indy majority in Holyrood, and the 62% pro EU vote in Scotland. That's pretty substantial support.

The 56 MP's is due to FPTP, the SNP had 49.97% of the popular vote, yet received 94.92% of the seats. The pro-union parties split the vote.

At the Scottish Parliament, nationalists lost two seats overall in 2016 and might lose their narrow majority in 2021.

Voting to remain in the EU does not mean it's a deal-breaker for that entire 62 percent, that's absurd. Plenty of soft Eurosceptics voted remain and aren't terribly annoyed. In fact, there may be plenty who are more annoyed at Salmond and his big mouth.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Who needs a sat nav these days anyway? If you're in the market for one, you probably have a smartphone that can do it anyway.

So buying one gets you nothing you didn't already have except a burning hole in your wallet, gives money to foreigners and everyone that sees you using one will be a bit confused as to why you're so behind the times.

Actually maybe that's a product perfect for the leader of the brexiters.

Midway through your post I was starting to think "This sounds a lot like Brexit".

pigeon

Banned
Need a detective story here. I think Cameron pointed the gun, Farage & Johnson loaded it, the voting public pulled the trigger, all of us took the bullet and May has to pick up the pieces.

Yuk.

Hercule Poirot could probably help figure out what happened, but unfortunately he'll have to leave the country. Immigrants, you know.

DavidDesu

New Labour (1997-2010) won every single Westminster election handily in Scotland, so don't tell me that the Scottish people don't ever get what they want when you really mean you don't get what you want. The will of the people was pretty crystal there, just like the will of the people was pretty clear in 2014 as well, you just didn't get what you want.

About "contempt", rags don't speak for anyone. Don't conflate what rags say and the fact it would destroy the party not to deliver on a 51.9% mandate with any contempt for Scotland.

Common sense is not leaving your largest market. The UK as a whole is doing that, but Scotland leaving would be its own moment just like that.

It's more about how influential Scotland's vote actually is and the answer is "not very". We get what a majority in rUK wants and that's just the facts of the population differences. Sadly England is turning ever more right and this is completely opposed to where Scotland is headed. Does it feel right that we can have 56 out of 59 MPs if the same party and yet they have no clout at all really at the end of the day? Don't answer that, I'm well aware you'll put me in my place lol.

Common sense as far as a democracy goes would be giving the people what they want, England wants Brexit - fine. Scotland doesn't and with a sizeable majority saying so.

DavidDesu

The 56 MP's is due to FPTP, the SNP had 49.97% of the popular vote, yet received 94.92% of the seats. The pro-union parties split the vote.

At the Scottish Parliament, nationalists lost two seats overall in 2016 and might lose their narrow majority in 2021.

Voting to remain in the EU does not mean it's a deal-breaker for that entire 62 percent, that's absurd. Plenty of soft Eurosceptics voted remain and aren't terribly annoyed. In fact, there may be plenty who are more annoyed at Salmond and his big mouth.

Assumptions now. Nice. The SNP mandate is huge. We've not seen anything like the 56 MPs. The fact this monumental tectonic change can be so easily brushed off with "well it's only xx% of the vote".. fucking laughable. How well did the Tories do by comparison?

Jezbollah

It's more about how influential Scotland's vote actually is and the answer is "not very". We get what a majority in rUK wants and that's just the facts of the population differences. Sadly England is turning ever more right and this is completely opposed to where Scotland is headed. Does it feel right that we can have 56 out of 59 MPs if the same party and yet they have no clout at all really at the end of the day? Don't answer that, I'm well aware you'll put me in my place lol.

Common sense as far as a democracy goes would be giving the people what they want, England wants Brexit - fine. Scotland doesn't and with a sizeable majority saying so.

The easy counter to the above is to see how many people voted for UKIP and only had one MP at the end of the 2015 Election.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Hercule Poirot could probably help figure out what happened, but unfortunately he'll have to leave the country. Immigrants, you know.

'scuse me. He was a refugee. That's entirely not the same thing.

(EDIT: I think the only way I shall be able to cope with this thread and its successors is through whimsy.)

Pancake Mix

It seems to negate your point on MPs that all that would be needed to discourage that would be a single Unionist party due to the nature of FPTP, which isn't terribly representative. There is a single, broad-tent nationalist party that wins almost every nationalist's vote at the Westminster level, whereas the pro-union parties are separate.

However, in a referendum there's no such split for the remain side, so I think it's misleading to point to having ~94 percent of MP's when the level of support among the population is more like half of that. It's one statistic, but it shows that a mandate in FPTP does not mean that the SNP could not have every MP in Scotland and still have only a minority for independence. The SNP is a broad coalition with many right-wing voters as well.

Scotland is not a monolithic group. We'll see who considers it a dealbreaker, and who does not. That's democracy. There will always be some differences between regions, and people will decide how they feel about matters.

Assumptions now. Nice. The SNP mandate is huge. We've not seen anything like the 56 MPs. The fact this monumental tectonic change can be so easily brushed off with "well it's only xx% of the vote".. fucking laughable. How well did the Tories do by comparison?

I'm sorry that facts trouble you so.

As for the Scottish Tories, they're on the rise in the Scottish parliament. The Tories don't do well in Scotland in Westminster elections, I get that. I never claimed to the contrary.

Acorn

Curious that you quote vote share for Westminster and omit that the snp increased their vote share marginally whilst losing two seats due to the electoral system in the Scottish election last year.

They got more votes than labour and tories combined with the most constituency votes in Scottish history.

Pancake Mix

Curious that you quote vote share for
Westminster and omit that the snp increased their vote share marginally whilst losing two seats due to the electoral system in the Scottish election last year.

They got more votes than labour and tories combined with the most constituency votes in Scottish history.

6 seats, they lost 6 seats.

But the Scottish Greens gained 4 of those.

And the SNP got fewer votes than the Scottish Tories, Scottish Labour, and the Scottish Lib Dems combined, which is what's relevant.

kmag

It never ceases to amuse me when you go on about the SNP's 'lost' majority or them losing a few seats in Scotland as if it's some magical bellweather of crumbling support rather than just the vagaries of the modified d'hondt's rationalisation. Put simply the SNP won more constituencies with a far greater share of the vote so lost list seats.

Basically because you don't have a clue about the electoral system used in while you pontificate like you've actually got some knowledge about Scotland it's been amusing but it's getting tiresome given how often it's regurgitated

If you're actually interested in why the SNP lost seats, pull up a chair

Their constituency total vote share and seat number increased, the modified D'Hondt system used in Scottish elections 'rewards' constituency success by reducing the corrosponding regional list chances (to make the system proportional). So if you won all eight constituency seats in a region you'd need a ridiculous amount of regional list votes to gain a single list seat.

There's a very simple work though of the concept for school kids here.
http://www.parliament.scot/Educatio...esources/AMS_Teacher_Read_Through_Version.pdf

but the main part of the workthrough is the final table where you can see the interplay between constituency success and inability to pick up list seats. But put simply each constituency you win in an 8 seat region, becomes a divisor of your list voter total (as does each subsequent list seat won during the list rounds in those regions). Basically Regional Votes ÷ Number of MSPs already won in region + 1

xcJKQVY.png

The SNP gaining a majority with just under 45.4% of the constituency vote and 44% of the regional vote in 2011 was a quirk of mathematics and luck (they basically hit a sweet spot where their constituency success was small enough to allow them to gain list votes). But ultimately the split between the number of constituencies MSP and list MSP is designed to prevent a single party majority. Of course there's more constituency seats (73) than regional seats (56) so I suppose if you won 80% of constituencies you could gain an overall majority of one that way.

The SNP's constituency vote increased by 1.1% , and their list vote went down by 2.3% (mostly due to a campaign to transfer those votes to the Greens in areas the SNP were going to clean up in the constituency voting). You may note that the Green's regional vote went up by almost exactly the same as the SNP's went down 2.2% up for the Greens.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
The issue I can see the SNP having is that there are going to be Scottish nationalists who were keen to move away from the UK at the last vote, who are probably going to be less keen to move towards the EU with the next vote.

Acorn

And the SNP got fewer votes than the Scottish Tories, Scottish Labour, and the Scottish Lib Dems combined, which is what's relevant.
And? That's the way it's supposed to work majorities are not supposed to be commonplace using our system - that's a good thing btw.

I used your own argument and you deflected.

And you add on every other party... Dear lord. Throw in the ssp aswell fuck it.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Common sense is to leave the sinking ship. Like Farage will be doing. That will be clear by the time of the referendum.

There's leaving a sinking ship, then there's leaving a sinking ship in a life raft that has no means of propulsion.

Joni

There's leaving a sinking ship, then there's leaving a sinking ship in a life raft that has no means of propulsion.

If I'm in a sinking ship, you can bet I'm going to be on that raft instead of going down with the ship. I'm sure any reasonable person would be.

Pancake Mix

It never ceases to amuse me

So losing seats is what winning looks like? You basically admitted that the SNP won due to a statistical anomaly in 2011.

Rather than being equally condescending in return, I'll turn the other cheek. See you in 2021.

If I'm in a sinking ship, you can bet I'm going to be on that raft instead of going down with the ship. I'm sure any reasonable person would be.

Well guess what, you're in one. A currency union without a fiscal union is stupid.

Why is everyone in this thread assuming most ordinary Scots want to leave? The polls have indicated no such change towards NationalistGAF. Is it perhaps because this forum leans disproportionately male (and thus more likely to support independence: Exhibit A, Exhibit B) rather than female and more pro-United Kingdom?

HaNx24m.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_second_Scottish_independence_referendum#Opinion_polling

Yup, in terms of Scottish people on this board, they're likely to be young, male (though the gender gap isn't as big as some make out, it's mostly age). Speaking personally, me and almost all of my friends now support independence but the older generation generally don't - up until about 50 it's relatively even if leaning no but after about 50 - 60 the vast majority support the union and almost nothing will change their minds.

kmag

So losing seats is what winning looks like? You basically admitted that the SNP won due to a statistical anomaly in 2011.

Yes, for the reasons I explained it's simply the vagaries of the system do I need to get some crayons to draw you a clue? I thought linking a document designed for primary 6 would be close to your speed but I suppose we could animate it or something?

And yes the SNP won in 2011 via a statistical anomaly. So what? That's the system. Their support is pretty consistent, you're the one claiming it's not despite of all the evidence to the contrary on the basis of 6 lost seats in an election where the SNP's share of the vote went up. They gained 6 constituency seats and lost 12 regional seats, that's how the system is meant to work.

They certainly could lose their majority in the next election, given how the regional system works it's actually possible they could increase support again and lose their majority depending on where they win the constituency seats and how the other parties regional votes split. It's not a perfectly proportional system. It wouldn't be an indication of a lack of support, it's simply the system we were landed with by Labour. A lack of support would be the vote share going down.

Audioboxer

Sorry to pick up just the one point in this, but it irritates me when Tory hegemony is brought up as an argument in either Brexit or Scottish independence. The Tory thing is temporary, and largely as a result of the absence of credible opposition. The Brexit/Scottish independence has much longer term impacts, and they are not at all the same thing. Over the next hundred years it will probably not matter a damn whether it was Tories in power now, but it will matter a lot who leaves whom.

Otherwise I am generally in agreement with you.

Yeah, all the privatisation and dismantling of the NHS they are getting around to doing is just "temporary". I want my life to try and live with as much comfort as possible, not to mention future kids I may have. I'm concerned, but not that concerned what the world will be like in 150/200 years, if we're just talking the state of the Conservatives/UK. Of course, I'd rather my/next generation isn't known for destroying the earth via irreversible global warming, but besides big things like that I do want to try and safe guard some of what I can benefit from within my lifetime.

There's some very real threats WITHIN the next 10~15 years at a continued Tory reign that keeps kicking that long. Heck, some speculators are thinking the Tories might still be kicking in 20~30 years with how bad the collapse of Labour is. Scottish independence for me isn't just about Brexit, which is why I voted yes in 2014.

Brexit is just the next thing in line cementing my feelings that the sooner Scotland cuts off from this short/mid-term Tory reign and yes, also prevents Brexit, the better. Seeing the back of Trident can't come soon enough either.

Gentlemen and Ladies. Today Neil Hamilton, disgraced cash from questions fuckwit and somehow leader oif UKip in the welsh assembly, today suggested that the if the poor didn't benefit from Brexit then suicide was always an option
https://twitter.com/WalesPolitics/status/847107600122613760
What an unbelievable cunt.

Pancake Mix

Yes, for the reasons I explained it's simply the vagaries of the system do I need to get some crayons to draw you a clue? I thought linking a document designed for primary 6 would be close to your speed but I suppose we could animate it or something?

Uyzdxlu.gif

Seems to be hard to get through to you, so I think it'd be best if I put you on my ignore list. Here's hoping for the decline of your nationalist movement.

Pandy

No, the SNP and the Greens got more votes than the Tories, Labour, and Lib Dems combined, which is what's relevant.

Pancake Mix

Off you run.

Nationalism in all forms is bad and you may find out yet that the average person agrees with me.

Gentlemen and Ladies. Today Neil Hamilton, disgraced cash from questions fuckwit and somehow leader oif UKip in the welsh assembly, today suggested that the if the poor didn't benefit from Brexit then suicide was always an option

Horrific.

Plum

Utterly fucking disgusting. If this were a just world he wouldn't have just been asked to apologize, he'd have been dragged out of their and thrown onto the street with his career in tatters.

Audioboxer

Nationalism in all forms is bad and you may find out yet that the average person agrees with me.

Horrific.

Not quite, and that's one heck of a simplifying of reality to push your narrative

Civic nationalism, also known as liberal nationalism, is a kind of nationalism identified by political philosophers who believe in a non-xenophobic form of nationalism compatible with values of freedom, tolerance, equality, and individual rights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civic_nationalism

But sure, if you want to call a nations political party open to anyone who wants to live here, supportive of all and very clear on pro immigration, "bad", you do you.

Brexit was the straw that broke the camels back for cheap potshots at the SNP, as UKIP, the Tories and parts of Labour rammed home what xenophobia really is.

Warning terribly racist xenophobic and hate filled nationalistic speech ahead ~ https://twitter.com/theSNP/status/843446978096775169

I don't care if he meant career suicide. That was absolutely completely uncalled for and he should give a real apology instead of a fake one! What a smug pompous piece of junk!

So May said she can't guarantee there will be less immigration. Like, what is even one reason to have gone forward with this whole bullshit if you can't even guarantee the core the leave campaign was based on. Amazing.

Philly40

Out of interest, does anyone know if EleventhHourSuperpower actually chose that username, or was it given to him by a mod ironically?

Going by post history, both scenarios sort of make sense.

Dehnus

It's one of those great, historical facts that Leavers like to wave around as a sign of how great we are without looking into any of the context behind it. Just like how we used to have great trade deals (just ignore all the stuff about taking countries by force and that icky slavery stuff)

The only reason we waived part of West Germany's debt was because the USSR demanded that the Balkan states do the same for the East. We did it because we were terrified that we'd lose the West to the Russians if they got there first. It was a strategic move in the Cold War, not an altruistic act of kindness.

They'll be fucking laughed out of the building if they try to pull that shit during the negotiations.
Indeed they keep doing it, calling the German's NAZI's or refering to the War. And then wonder "Why won't they be our friends!".

I really hope most people realize that Tories aren't like the average Englishman. Or they will start thinking that you guys say Hello by punching in the face, and goodbye by giving a sharp kick to the bollocks.

Then cry when the other party doesn't want to play any more and is its ball home with them.

tuxfool

Banned
Out of interest, does anyone know if EleventhHourSuperpower actually chose that username, or was it given to him by a mod ironically?

Going by post history, both scenarios sort of make sense.

Name is original, tag is due to some incredibly lazy plagiarism.

There is a very clear difference between English and Scottish nationalism and the underlying reasons for Brexit/ Referendum 2.0

And EleventhHour really shouldn't be one to lecture others about the toxicity of nationalism.

Philly40

I don't understand, the ones in favor of mutant bananas are leavers or remainders?

You seem to be underestimating how important this is,

the Duke of Devonshire Lord Cavendish, in homage to Queen Victoria, introduced bananas to the whole world, and they were bendy bananas, not some foreign muck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom