• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery: SDCC 2017 Trailer

Shauni

Weren't people afraid this might be low-budget? That trailer looked expensive as hell.

I think people thought this because there's this stupid idea that CBS is sending this out to die because it's going to be on All Access. It's not being sent out to die, it's being sent out to get people to subscribe to All Access, so they are going to go all in to get people to sub. I don't know if it's work, I kind of don't think it will, but yeah, CBS was always going to put a lot into this.

sammex

They also sold worldwide distribution rights to Netflix which will have been worth $$$. Trailer looks quality to me, hope the writing is decent.

SRG01

Those aren't klingons... couldn't they just call them something else? Really I can't get over that

Trek desperately needs to get away from forehead aliens. This is a good start.

I still can't believe that Trek had to explain why every race they encountered looked similar... :(

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Hey, it's finally Jason Isaacs

Looks way better than i expected. CGI looks great, and camera work is surprisingly competent. Maybe will watch

Kevin

I still can't believe that Trek had to explain why every race they encountered looked similar... :(

Agreed in full! This was always one of the things that have bothered me about the franchise. It made sense in the 80s and 90s on the low budgets they had to work with but I am glad the new series is finally evolving the franchise. No matter what a lot of people will be unhappy but I couldn't be more excited.

Keasar

And here I recently saw the time travel episode in DS9 where they go to the Tribble episode of original Star Trek and Worf got uncomfortable seeing the first Klingons (and the VERY low budget costumes) and explained some genetic mutation thingie.

Does this happen often with Klingons now? :p

Slayven

And Enterprise explained why Klingons looked different in the Original series. Ruining a good joke from DS9

And here I recently saw the time travel episode where they go to the Tribble episode of original Star Trek and Worf got uncomfortable seeing the first Klingons (and the VERY low budget costumes) and explained some genetic mutation thingie.

Does this happen often with Klingons now? :p
You got to watch Enterprise to get the DS9 scene

cgcg

The main actress has the same 2 crappy facial expressions as her walking dead character, blah what a miscast. Can't she doing any other expressions lol? Everything else looked pretty good.

Effect

If DS9 started as slow today as it did back then it would have been cancelled before the dominion war even started. TV shows can no longer afford the luxury of three shit seasons followed by a couple of good ones. Anyone who cares about Trek should know that it needs to survive before it can thrive, so shitting on it because it's not like early ds9 of tng is a really weird complaint all things considered.

This. You have to hit the ground running from episode 1 or you won't get a second chance. It's screwed up that has to be the case. If Season 1 does well they might be able to do slower paced stuff in a season 2 or season 3. Doing it season 1 is a great way of only getting a season 1.

Shauni

And Enterprise explained why Klingons looked different in the Original series. Ruining a good joke from DS9

You got to watch Enterprise to get the DS9 scene

Oh man, really? What was that explanation? Never did watch all of Enterprise

DBT85

This. You have to hit the ground running from episode 1 or you won't get a second chance. It's screwed up that has to be the case. If Season 1 does well they might be able to do slower paced stuff in a season 2 or season 3. Doing it season 1 is a great way of only getting a season 1.

This was also true for Stargate Universe compared to SG-1 (there were other issues too obvs). Can't afford to be slow out of the gate any more.

Slayven

If DS9 started as slow today as it did back then it would have been cancelled before the dominion war even started. TV shows can no longer afford the luxury of three shit seasons followed by a couple of good ones. Anyone who cares about Trek should know that it needs to survive before it can thrive, so shitting on it because it's not like early ds9 of tng is a really weird complaint all things considered.

I missed the good old days.

The kligions got hit with a plague that was killing them, they found an antidote but it turned them into original series Klingons for a few generations

It kind of fits if you look at the evolution of klingons in the original series movies

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
This was also true for Stargate Universe compared to SG-1 (there were other issues too obvs). Can't afford to be slow out of the gate any more.

hHpI4Uq.gif

antonz

That's not really true. What Stargate Universe and even shows like Enterprise showed is you cannot piss off the fanbase too much or they will turn their backs. Once the dedicated fanbase turns its back its over as ratings will never recover enough no matter how better a show gets etc.

teiresias

Was the music at the very beginning in that trailer used in the previous trailer or do I recognize it from something else, because i know I've heard it before.

Ponn

Banned
Apart from the very first episode, you still won't be!

Haha, yea wow. Haven't been keeping up to date on the Discovery news and didn't know this was locked behind their streaming service. Welp, F#$k that then. If my arm is going to be twisted to subscribe to any other stupid streaming service it would be whatever that WB/DC thing is going to be.

TyrantII

Outside of the Klingons, I like the look. Looks like they changed the design of Discovery, which is a plus.

I'm sold on the cast, it's really going to come down to the writing on this for me.

The steam runner ship in the pilot is the Shinzhou (SP?), you can mostly make it out in one clip early. There's also shots of the Europa getting cut into, but not sure if they showed her fully at all.

They're going to have a kobayashi maru event in the pilot and I'm guessing the Discovery is the ship on a mission to resolve the season long arc.

They learned of Earths Gene wars and started their own arms race, but got in over their heads. They created an antimutagen to cure those infected, but it was based on augment DANA and some human characteristics lingered from the therapy for a few generations in those that needed to be cured. They felt like outcasts and mostly stayed on the empire borders trying to regain their honor.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I will watch this because Star Trek, but man I still can't think of a more boring played out angle to go with than "conflict with the Klingons". I mean it makes sense because people know what Klingons are but

meh

DBT85

That's not really true. What Stargate Universe and even shows like Enterprise showed is you cannot piss off the fanbase too much or they will turn their backs. Once the dedicated fanbase turns its back its over as ratings will never recover enough no matter how better a show gets etc.

True, but SG-1 had 4 seasons pre booked. They could afford to take their time and it was a new TV franchise to boot.

Universe only had 2 pre booked and it started very slowly, in part because there were 2351 characters vying for screen time.

You have to get people on board quickly.

Savitar

That actually looks a ton better than I first imagined it would. The first ever image of the ship we saw way back when looked so horrible I didn't have much hope for the show. Amazing turn around. No idea what's up with the Klingons but you know what? They've been stale and boring for a long time now. Doesn't help their bullshit sense of honor seems to be all over the place. It always felt weak so I'm willing to see where they go.

The plan to make no one safe so that will definitely help with the It's war factor. Maybe we'll even see one ship get blown up and replaced with another.

TyrantII

Absolutely impossible to figure out what is going on in that trailer. Hyped regardless. This looks like gritty Trek.

Nah. It's basically a carbon copy of what happened to the Kelvin in Trek 2009. Substitute time traveling Romulans for Woken Ancient Klingons.

The only real question is what's the season crisis that leads to the main character taking the Discovery back out.

I will watch this because Star Trek, but man I still can't think of a more boring played out angle to go with than "conflict with the Klingons". I mean it makes sense because people know what Klingons are but

meh

Well there is always conflict with somebody, and the klingons are probably the most interesting villains outside of the Dominion. Voyager fucked up the Borg and the Romulans have largely boring outside of a few episodes and the Romulan War, which no writer seems to want to cover for some reason.

Effect

sounds like they're pushing the American audience towards piracy.

who's gonna pay that monthly fee for one show?

There is more then one show on the service. All of CBS' shows are on it and every single Star Trek series as well. It's not like you're paying and only have access to one single show. I get the impression a few people seem to think this from their comments. Would people be complaining if this was on Netflix in the US (wish it was to be honest but oh well) as well instead of being broadcast on TV? I can understand the issue with it not being on Netflix if you're already paying for it. Yet I do wonder if some people they have to pay anything. Is it just because it's Star Trek and it's always been "free" on broadcast until now?

Kevin

sounds like they're pushing the American audience towards piracy.

who's gonna pay that monthly fee for one show?

For Star Trek? I definitely will. I actually like to support the shows that I enjoy. So many people want everything for free and that's not how life works. Especially for as expensive as this show is costing them to make.

If people don't want to pay to stream it then I guess wait for the Blu-Ray release. Or iTunes if that's your thing.

You guys in the US think you have it bad. The Expanse Season 2 STILL hasn't aired outside of the US despite Netflix having the rights to it. At least you have some sort of legal way to watch a show you like.

Ponn

Banned
There is more then one show on the service. All of CBS' shows are on it and every single Star Trek series as well. It's not like you're paying and only have access to one single show. I get the impression a few people seem to think this from their comments. Would people be complaining if this was on Netflix in the US (wish it was to be honest but oh well) as well instead of being broadcast on TV? I can understand the issue with it not being on Netflix if you're already paying for it. Yet I do wonder if some people they have to pay anything. Is it just because it's Star Trek and it's always been "free" on broadcast until now?

I get CBS with my cable package. Why can't I watch a CBS show on my CBS channel I already get? And if it was on Netflix at least there is other original stuff there I want to pay to watch that I can't watch on my cable TV.

antonz

It's from before the timeline diverged.

So it's both.

Actually its after the timeline divergence. Its 10 years before Kirk took command of the Enterprise. So it would be around 2255. Kirk is a Lieutenant at this point. NCC-1701 is already 10 years old at this point.

Syriel

Actually its after the timeline divergence. Its 10 years before Kirk took command of the Enterprise. So it would be around 2255. Kirk is a Lieutenant at this point. NCC-1701 is already 10 years old at this point.

Ah, I saw "10 years before Kirk" and thought it was 10 years before he was born.

My bad.

I just took a look at what shows they do have on CBS All Access and I was kind of surprised how much wasn't there. It would be much more compelling if a lot more of the shows were complete in their back catalog. But as is, there's so much missing.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
You guys in the US think you have it bad. The Expanse Season 2 STILL hasn't aired outside of the US despite Netflix having the rights to it. At least you have some sort of legal way to watch a show you like.

They sure ain't making it easy for that show to grow. Shame; it's great.

Effect

I just took a look at what shows they do have on CBS All Access and I was kind of surprised how much wasn't there. It would be much more compelling if a lot more of the shows were complete in their back catalog. But as is, there's so much missing.

True. There could be a LOT more there given CBS's catalog and their should be more of some stuff that is there. They need to improve this greatly.

For me I think it might be worth the price to have access to so much Star Trek. It's suppose to be like $6 a month?

Top Bottom