• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: Vengeance |OT| - The gods are ready to spread the cheeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dysun

Liam did a good job I thought. It must be hard to fill in after Andy totally nailed the role but I was surprised and after awhile it felt pretty normal. Can't wait to see Gannicus who was awesome on GOTA

Sh1ner

Is the fight choreography up there with the first season? I loved how well the fight sequences were in the first season. I tried to watch a few episodes of the prequel and it just felt off and I gave up. I have high hopes for this season.

Favourite fight sequence from the first season has to be when Spartacus faces multiple Romans swordsman and he only has 2 wooden ones. EPIC.
This scene shame it cuts at the beginning of the fight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=959RtyL6ovk

Is the fight choreography up there with the first season? I loved how well the fight sequences were in the first season. I tried to watch a few episodes of the prequel and it just felt off and I gave up. I have high hopes for this season.

Pretty sure the prequel has the best fight of this series so far in the final ep.

RS4-

Something about the way ep01 was filmed...looks/feels weird to me. Not sure what it is.

Still enjoyed it, nice start to the season.

Sh1ner

Pretty sure the prequel has the best fight of this series so far in the final ep.

I will give it another revisit. I am sure one of my mates who were in disbelief on me loving the first season and not bothering the prequel has bought it on dvd. I will bug him when he is back in work.

Not feeling the new Spartacus, he is not bad or anything, but he lakcs Andy's strong presence and intensity. Overall the episode was great.

I didnt at first either but as the episode went on I started to "get it". I do think he needs to hit the gym because like mentioned he just doesn't have the same prescence that Andy had. It got really good towards the last 15-20 minutes when I didnt have much hope at the beginning.

And is it just me or has Illythia gotten less attractive? She used to be an evil bitch that was still kinda hot. Just not feeling her looks this season so far.

Leonsito

Watched yesterday the new episode, started slow, but shit hit the fan soon and the second half of the chapter seems to move at the same pace that the end of the season 1.

Here we go guys, here we go again.

I finally broke and watched the first episode, it was glorious but now I'm sad that about having to wait a little longer for the next episode.
Personally I like Liam and I think his portrayal of Spartacus is pretty good, and even though he's not as hard body as Andy was, I'm sure we'll start to see more definition as this season progresses.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Thought it was a decent episode overall, but nothing great. Definitely looking forward to the rest of the season. No Ashur was really fucking lame though. :|

And why they gotta kill off the cutest chick in the whole damn series and possibly all of television?? fucking ugh...

Liam McIntyre was totally believable as the new Spartacus too. The transition is going to be much easier for me than I initially thought. Well fucking done by the Spartacus casting crew. Well done indeed.

Interested in how they are going to introduce Gannicus and Ashur back into the fold, The scene with Oenomaus/Doctore in the side streets was fantastic.

Im already wanting a 3rd season.

zulfate

the one thing i will notice is andy's screams...it was very distinctive for me.

also i havent read anything about this new season but why did they change naevia?

tenz0r

Just found out this won't be on Netflix anymore. Anyone know if this season will be available on iTunes/Amazon for purchase each week? Did they do that with Gods of the Arena/Blood and The Sand, or was it only on iTunes and Amazon when those seasons were released on DVD/Blu-Ray. I rather not subscribe to Starz for just one show, but may have to because I need my Spartacus fix.

The premiere was great by the way, and I thought Liam did a great job as Spartacus. Andy would be proud.

Imm0rt4l

I feel transitioning from Andy to Liam won't be too bad, but after watching the first episode I feel like Liam has softer eyes,doesn't have quite as deep a voice, and also seems a bit scrawny(I know spartacus was never very big anyways), though I'm sure putting on the weight wasn't easy.

DTJAAAAM

Just got a chance to watch the first part of Vengeance. It didn't wow me as much as Gods of the Arena's first episode, but I'll still stick around to see how things go.

hermit7

The one thing that I actually really disliked was that Mira and Sparty were together. Seems out of character. Although there was quite a bit of chemistry between the two which I fully expect to grow throughout the season.

andycapps

I'm just now watching the first season on Netflix. How many are there? This is the 3rd season, I assume? And holy crap, the original guy died?

I'm just now watching the first season on Netflix. How many are there? This is the 3rd season, I assume?
There's S1 (Spartacus: Blood and Sand), the miniseries which is more or less S2 (Spartacus: Gods of the Arena), and now they're just starting S3 (Spartacus: Vengeance.)

Joni

The one thing that I actually really disliked was that Mira and Sparty were together. Seems out of character. Although there was quite a bit of chemistry between the two which I fully expect to grow throughout the season.

They were already an item at the end of season 1. That was my interpretation of them anyway. You could tell they weren't just scheming.

JdFoX187

Banned
You guys are going to really enjoy episode two, which is a lot more backstory on Peter Mensah's character. Really helps flesh him out a lot more.

GodDAMNIT! I can't even rent the discs of Gods of the Arena from Netflix anymore! I only had two fucking episodes left, too!

Does anyone have Comcast/Xfinity in the US that can check to see if STARZ has the episodes On Demand? I won't be home for another day. :(

hermit7

They were already an item at the end of season 1. That was my interpretation of them anyway. You could tell they weren't just scheming.

They had sex one time. And that was strictly so she would unlock the door.

Felt out of place still I think.

- Ryan McGee @ Hitfix: Interview: 'Spartacus: Vengeance' star Liam McIntyre
Plenty of actors have stepped into roles previously inhabited by others. But Liam McIntyre found himself in the unenviable task of taking over the lead role in Starz’s ”Spartacus” series after former leader Andy Whitfield suffered a recurrence of the non-Hodgkin's lymphoma that initially sidelined him from the series. Creator Steven DeKnight concocted the prequel series “Gods of the Arena” in order to give Whitfield time to recover, but it soon became apparent that his health issues would prevent him from ever returning to the show. Whitfield ultimately gave his blessing for the show to continue, succumbing to the illness last fall while production on the upcoming season “Vengeance” (which premieres Friday at 10 p.m.) was underway.

Stepping into Whitfield’s shoes would be a daunting task for anyone. But for McIntyre, an actor not known outside of his native Australia, it was both the biggest break of his career but also his most challenging opportunity to date. Many fans, while understanding the nature of the changes behind-the-scenes, nevertheless couldn’t imagine anyone but Whitfield inhabiting the role. But DeKnight saw something special in McIntyre, even if his new Spartacus was rail-thin during the audition due to a role he was playing at the time. “I’m never gonna get the role,” he told me, describing his mindset during the audition. “So, let’s go try some of this ‘acting’ I’ve been learning, and see what happens.”

McIntyre sat down with HitFix at this winter’s Television Critics Association press tour to discuss his approach to the role, what he learned from watching Whitfield’s performance, and what it was like to be thrust into the role of a leader both on- and off-camera.

The mini series was a prequel and Vengeance is season 2.
You are correct, technically speaking. Just trying to keep it simple for those that are just starting the series. (The main reason for this is that if you watch the prequel before S1, it'll pretty much spoil everything with the "previously" segment at the beginning, so I strongly recommend people watch Blood & Sand before Gods of the Arena as the creators intended.)

mjc

I thought Liam did as good a job as we could have hoped for given the circumstances. I didn't have any problems with him like some of you guys may have, its just a little weird to swallow the fact that Spartacus isn't the same dude anymore.

He's the Doctor acting as Spartacus.

Just watched the season premier. I really enjoyed it. Will Starz play them weekly online? I don't have cable, and hopefully will not have to wait 6 months before this season drops on DVD/Blue-Ray to see the rest.

RPGCrazied

Watched the first episode of Season 2. Not really feeling it with the new Spartacus. I miss Andy. :( Maybe he will grow on me. I did like the episode though.

Joni

They had sex one time. And that was strictly so she would unlock the door.

Felt out of place still I think.

She was the one to comfort him about the death of Varro, he attacked Hector for her, and she was in love with him. For me it was a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom