• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: Vengeance |OT| - The gods are ready to spread the cheeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Liam did a good job as Spartacus. At this point he definitely lacks the presence of Andy, but given some time I think he can rise to the challenge.

I think they made the right choice in killing off Batiatus and keeping Lucretia alive. Batiatus was small time and everyone disliked him.

Most people regard Batiatus as one of the best characters in the show. So much of the plot in Blood and Sand as well as Gods of the Arena revolved around his ambitions and his rise and fall. It wouldn't have been anywhere near the same show (nor anywhere near as good) without him.

Most people regard Batiatus as one of the best characters in the show. So much of the plot in Blood and Sand as well as Gods of the Arena revolved around his ambitions and his rise and fall. It wouldn't have been anywhere near the same show (nor anywhere near as good) without him.

I think the poster is talking in the realm of the show itself. Most of them hardly cared for him, but they dealt with him for his gladiators and their services (in and out of battle).

Wray

Maybe Spartacus is the father of Illythia's baby. Could be why
they show a flashback with the mask.

It was heavily inferred that was the case. Plus they hinted at during that chat session that Sparty and Illythia are going to be spending alot of time together this season.

charsace

First Ep was great!. The new guy playing spartacus is good, but he lacks Andy's presence and playfulness.

The last scene was painful.

Batti is gone and he will be missed, but Glabber looks like he will be a great villian.

Arment

Totally agree that the new Spartacus is lacking something, but I'm giving him plenty of chances just like we gave Andy.

As long as Crixus, Oenomaus and Gannicus are in the show there's plenty of other badasses to go around.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
He died saving his brother in the revolt.

My wife pointed him out to me, otherwise I would've never known.

Oh yeah, I remember now.

I think the poster is talking in the realm of the show itself. Most of them hardly cared for him, but they dealt with him for his gladiators and their services (in and out of battle).

That's right. I'm aware that everyone that watches the show, myself included, loved Batiatus. But none of the characters on the show ever did, except for Lucretia. Because season 2 takes place on a much grander scale than previous seasons, I don't think his story line would have had anywhere to go. Spartacus is now dealing with people far more important than Batiatus, and it would have been tough to include him seeing as how he held no clout with any of those people. He did nothing but make enemies in the past two seasons, whereas Lucretia made quite a lot of friends so keeping her alive makes more sense.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Wait, people are glad Batiatus is dead?

I LOVED the character and how Hannah played him but it would have been a cock tease if he hadn't died in season 1. He would have no place in the series now since basically everyone would want him dead/humiliated if he was alive.

Did anyone else think Aurelia's last words to Spartacus were sort of uncalled for?

She genuinely thinks/believes he is cursed/brings this upon himself.

Disobeying the Romans got him/his people thrown into chains.
His own wife thrown into chains and then killed
His best friend killed by his hand
The widow of his best friend tortured/killed after he tried to help her.

I don't blame her for saying stay the fuck away from her son even if he wanted to help her son.

^Yeah looks like Encore won't be playing any episodes so I'm shit outta luck until the DVD/BR release

I'm not condoning piracy, and don't plan on doing so myself (Parents have on demand with starz so will steal their tv an hour a week when I go over to run the dog/help my dad with the cars etc) but not being on netflix will just mean a combination of less people seeing the show, and more people pirating the show.

Hopefully they at least sell episodes on amazon video or itunes for a reasonable price so people who do a combination of legit+piracy of an easy legit way to watch the show.

Oh yeah, I remember now.

That's right. I'm aware that everyone that watches the show, myself included, loved Batiatus. But none of the characters on the show ever did, except for Lucretia. Because season 2 takes place on a much grander scale than previous seasons, I don't think his story line would have had anywhere to go. Spartacus is now dealing with people far more important than Batiatus, and it would have been tough to include him seeing as how he held no clout with any of those people. He did nothing but make enemies in the past two seasons, whereas Lucretia made quite a lot of friends so keeping her alive makes more sense.

I agree as well about liking his character as a viewer and the fact he would be way out of his league this time around if he was still alive.

Plus IIRC Lucretia's family was higher on the class totem pole than his so she could still hang and if anything Ashur might be in new Batiatus in terms of trying to rise.

Did anyone else think Aurelia's last words to Spartacus were sort of uncalled for?

With what she went through?, not really. Hell when he offered to help her out she still got in deep shit.

But given what some of the viewers might already know about the Spartacus story it would look like she was off base.

Just watched the first episode (hurray for the two day delay in Canada... >_>), pretty good opener. Got the story moving quickly and had plenty of Spartacesque moments.

I thought Liam did a good job. Obviously he needs a bit of time to really inhabit the role but I think he can pull it off. Great to see Illythia and Lucretia back together, their scenes are always great.

The new characters seemed to fit in right away. The siblings seem like they could be pretty diabolical, and I liked Glaber's rival in Rome and the dude with the axe. (Donar, I think?)

Very glad to have to show back.

Ferga

Don't really want to watch it since i really liked Andy's Spartacus :\

Views are really split on Liam right now. Guess i'll give it a go.

- Onion A|V Club: Interview with Lucy Lawless
Some consider the STARZ hit Spartacus a glorified skin-and-sin show. Others might dismiss it as a low-budget swords-and-scandal saga. But beneath the show’s veneer is a beating heart that transcends genre and speaks to issues of power, loyalty, corruption, and people’s innermost desires. Lucy Lawless, who plays Lucretia on the show, has been a fantasy icon since her star-making role on the syndicated series Xena: Warrior Princess. From there, she turned up in the remake of Battlestar: Galactica, and in roles on Flight Of The Conchords, No Ordinary Family, Burn Notice, and Veronica Mars. At this winter’s Television Critics’ Association press tour, she sat down with The A.V. Club to discuss her role as Lucretia in the Spartacus series, her contempt for the Internet, and exactly who’s getting vengeance in Spartacus: Vengeance, which premièred this past Friday on STARZ.

Magnus

By Jupiter's cock, that was a fine fucking premiere!

Absolutely enthralled by every minute of that, and after all the pre-emptive bashing of (or just lack of confidence in) Liam, I thought he did fucking wonderfully. What a tall order, to come after Andy. He did just fine, and just like Andy, we've gotta give him a few episodes to really 'inhabit' the role, as many before me have said in the thread.

Truly riveting, and I'm so glad this show is back.

I'm really fucking ticked at the way the show's distributed though. I really miss having a show to watch with GAF, all live and in sync, like Lost or whatever. There really isn't one main airing of this show across North America. In Canada, it's on Sunday nights on TMN/HBO, and I guess it's on Friday nights in the States? I don't get it. Annoying.

By Jupiter's cock, that was a fine fucking premiere!

Absolutely enthralled by every minute of that, and after all the pre-emptive bashing of (or just lack of confidence in) Liam, I thought he did fucking wonderfully. What a tall order, to come after Andy. He did just fine, and just like Andy, we've gotta give him a few episodes to really 'inhabit' the role, as many before me have said in the thread.

Truly riveting, and I'm so glad this show is back.

I'm really fucking ticked at the way the show's distributed though. I really miss having a show to watch with GAF, all live and in sync, like Lost or whatever. There really isn't one main airing of this show across North America. In Canada, it's on Sunday nights on TMN/HBO, and I guess it's on Friday nights in the States? I don't get it. Annoying.

Yep.

Its staggered now?

- EW.com: Spartacus returns strong in the ratings
Spartacus is back and he hasn’t missed a beat.

Starz’ Spartacus: Vengeance delivered 2.7 million viewers its opening weekend across multiple airings. That’s on par with last year’s debut of the prequel series Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (2.8 million).

This year another factor was at play, too, since about 1.4 million viewers streamed the Vengeance premiere online before the on-air telecast.

oktarb

odd episode but I don't hate the new guy I just miss the original.

iamsparticas.jpg

Al-ibn Kermit

I agree as well about liking his character as a viewer and the fact he would be way out of his league this time around if he was still alive.

Plus IIRC Lucretia's family was higher on the class totem pole than his so she could still hang and if anything Ashur might be in new Batiatus in terms of trying to rise.
Actually I thought Lucretia's family was lower class? I'm pretty sure in Gods of the Sand, Batiatus' father told him that he warned him against marrying Lucretia just for love.

Weenerz

Banned
Batiatus was the backbone of the first 2 seasons, the rest was just extra deliciousness. I hope they can recover without having him.

My comment hasn't so much to do with Liam as it is about the new role Spartacus has. In Blood & Sand, he was subdued and introspective; quiet. It was the tragedy of his wife and underplayed skill in the arena and regular super saiyan moments triggered by memory of his wife (wrapping piece of cloth from her dress on his wrist) that made him an enigmatic character the audience became intrigued by. He was incredibly distinct to the others.

Now, he is actively seeking vengeance, this more outward display of anger and violence will take a bit of time to adapt to.

I wanted to purchase this

20615084_300x300_1.jpg

I've never had a season set so I'm wondering whether inside this box we'll have the individual cases (like below) or not

51dGhq-MieL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

vaelic

Banned
Didn't Andy have a shaved head? Then why dOes the new Spartacus not? Did it suddenly grow back as they stormed out of the gladiator camp?

No, Batiatus was from a higher class. Its why his dad wants to have him cancel his marriage with her in Gods of the Arena.

Zzoram

Too slim. If it isn't Glaber's, I'm going to guess it's that kids baby, the one she seduced to make sure Varro was killed by Sparty.

There is no way to ever tell who the father is in ancient Rome, so it'll be Glaber's kid no matter what they allude to.

Spartacus will probably kill Illythia at the end of the season anyways, or maybe just the baby, both to spite Glaber and just in case it's his kid, Crixus style.

Pretty decent episode. A few thoughts:

- Crixus is getting better scenes now that he's out of the arena role of "rival gladiator" that he was restricted to last couple seasons

- New Spartacus is aiight, nothing wrong with him. Will get used to him soon, RIP Whitfield :(

- The orgy scene at the whorehouse was just ridiculous, even for this show's standards

- I understand they have to show everybody's abs, it's become a staple of this show apparently. But shouldn't these dudes be picking up armor from fallen soldiers? Crixus is right, these bitches aint no army.

- new girl (bad guy's sister) is cute but a bloody horrible actress, restrict her scenes

fanboi

Banned
Pretty decent episode. A few thoughts:

- Crixus is getting better scenes now that he's out of the arena role of "rival gladiator" that he was restricted to last couple seasons

- New Spartacus is aiight, nothing wrong with him. Will get used to him soon, RIP Whitfield :(

- The orgy scene at the whorehouse was just ridiculous, even for this show's standards

- I understand they have to show everybody's abs, it's become a staple of this show apparently. But shouldn't these dudes be picking up armor from fallen soldiers? Crixus is right, these bitches aint no army.

- new girl (bad guy's sister) is cute but a bloody horrible actress, restrict her scenes

1) Time will tell!

2) Agreed :| brohug

3) Nah not really, this is what we love about Spartacus (or one of the things)

4) Well, they are gladiators and they ain't used to wear heavy armours :>

EDIT:

5) She will soon be naked and ramed I belive.

Armor will only slow you down and get in the way in the battles they are in (quick and up close).

Yeah but this will prove extremely troublesome once the archers appear and the like. They should get on that.

Oh and Crixus looked buck in that turban get-up. Hell they all looked cool in the scarves. Keep it!

Its the equivalent of boob-armour which videogames have in abundance. True, it makes no sense, but I find it refreshing that males are objectified as well.

Al-ibn Kermit

Yeah but this will prove extremely troublesome once the archers appear and the like. They should get on that.

Oh and Crixus looked buck in that turban get-up. Hell they all looked cool in the scarves. Keep it!

You think a couple dozen gladiators are going to march against a Roman legion in phalanx formation?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Its the equivalent of boob-armour which videogames have in abundance. True, it makes no sense, but I find it refreshing that males are objectified as well.

Spartacus should have kept his armour, was pretty cool.

Maybe they will just say it's "how they are used to fighting" or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom