• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: Vengeance |OT| - The gods are ready to spread the cheeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wray

Yeah but this will prove extremely troublesome once the archers appear and the like. They should get on that.

Actually, that brings up an interesting question. Did the Roman's even have archers in their formations? I know the Longbow wasn't around for another 1000 years yet. I don't think bows in that day had the range to really be useful on an open battlefiend. I know Sun Tzu had primitive repeating crossbows, but I don't think the range on those were anything special.

Somebody who knows their shit with regards to antiquity era warfare can answer this hopefully.

sturmdogg

Actually, that brings up an interesting question. Did the Roman's even have archers in their formations? I know the Longbow wasn't around for another 1000 years yet. I don't think bows in that day had the range to really be useful on an open battlefiend. I know Sun Tzu had primitive repeating crossbows, but I don't think the range on those were anything special.

Somebody who knows their shit with regards to antiquity era warfare can answer this hopefully.

This might help.

The normal weapon of Roman archers, both infantry and cavalry units, was the composite bow[4], although Vegetius recommends training recruits "arcubus ligneis", with wooden bows, which may have been made in the northern European longbow tradition.[5] It has been suggested that most Roman composite bows may have been asymmetric, with lower limbs shorter than the upper.[6]

Joni

They had archers, even mounted archers from around 100 BCE which is roughly 30 years before Spartacus' revolt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittarii

The "You had me at whores" guy is hot. I hope he sticks around for a while.

Word. Heath Jones FTW.

- I understand they have to show everybody's abs, it's become a staple of this show apparently. But shouldn't these dudes be picking up armor from fallen soldiers? Crixus is right, these bitches aint no army.

These kind of details don't come into play on this show. If someone is gonna die, it's not gonna matter if he or she is wearing armor or not. They'll find some over the top way to taste the Ocean Spray wave no matter what.

I actually felt like they were a bit over dressed. They need to lose those filthy rags they "disguise" themselves in and just focus mainly on loincloths and random belts.

Burli

Pringo
Fucking hell, only just found out that Andy died, completely depressed now, can't see myself enjoying this episode.

Burli

Pringo
I haven't seen the first episode, Andy was replaced long before he died, at one point he was recovering, then the cancer came back which lost him this role. The last I'd heard was he was still fighting it.

New episode tonight!
A Place In This World

Spartacus and his men liberate a Roman villa, but its slaves are wary. Oenomaus throws himself into the brutal Pits, and Glaber supports Lucretia’s prophecies, despite Ilithyia’s protests.

REV 09

Tonights episode was just ok for me. I'm glad to see the return of the robed character though.

Still struggling with the new guy.

Interesting episode since it shows how some try to deal with their loss of purpose, especially when that purpose wasn't really their own. This Tiberius guy could go either way imo.

Plus the weasel is back though it was kinda given away before that.

Rengoku

Damn, this episode is proof that Peter Mensah would be perfect to be cast as Kratos if there ever were a live action movie.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Great ep! I knew it was going to be damn good. Can't wait till next week.
DAT ASHUR!

"Eight? You appear as honorable man, yet attempt to slip cock in ass?!"

"If I held such desire you would be split in two."

God I fucking love this show. ahaha!

Just remembered the show was back today and caught up tonight.

The opening scene just felt wrong with Liam McIntyre as Spartacus. As strong as his supporting cast is, Andy Whitfield was the show. Nothing will ever change that, but even by the end of the first episode, I had more or less accepted Liam in the role. He's a bit too pretty for the part, in my opinion, but other than that, I think he'll end up doing as well as anyone could have following the tragic loss of Andy.

Maybe it's because I was never that into Lucy Lawless, even in her warrior princess days (I only had eyes for Renee O'Connor), but seems like she looks better than ever this season. That and I may or may not be attracted to crazy.

jett

D-Member
:lol The writers of this show sure love some assfucking.

I liked this ep better than the last, getting used to Liam.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ashur + Lucretia = awesomeness. Those two are totally playing Illythia and Glaber. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Lucretia is faking her craziness to get Glaber and co's guard down.

So Tiberius is Ashur's younger brother?

Most likely. I would have liked for them to have made it a little less obvious, or maybe extend the reveal that he had a brother by a few episodes.

Wray

Yes! Ashur is back!

Another solid episode last night. Looking forward to what happens with Ashur and Lucretia. And yeah, I agree they got some plan going on. I think they'll unveil it when they show how she got saved from the massacre. I'm guessing Ashur saved her or something.

Just waiting on Gannicus to come back now.

Weenerz

Banned
Great episode, I didn't want it to end. I loved Ashur and the smirk at the end between him and Lucretia was great.

Idde

Random thoughts: Fucking Ashur. Between him and Lucretia, Glaber is waaaay out of his league. The blonde slave is smoking hot btw. Here's hoping to a threesome with her, Spartacus en Mira. Not likely, but one can hope :)

Interesting play on the brotherhood part. Tad cliché, but they need SOMETHING to forge a bond between the rebels. Spartacus can hardly go around (literally) whipping everybody into shape. He needs a Doctore for that...

On Liam: he's always so damn serious. Either he's pissed or he's extremely emotional. Dunno if it's because of the writers or because of Andy, but Andy also had some light moments. Playing around with Varro, making fun of the Gauls, entertaining himself in the arena. Liam needs to lighten up a bit. Aside from that, he's getting the job done. (an admirable feat).

Bring on ep 3!

Dysun

Good to see Doctore kick ass and Ashur's return.
Liam did another good job and seems like a natural fit as Spartacus

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I hate that slimy gutter rat Ashur so much, but hell if I wouldn't want him wreaking shit (discretely of course) on my side.

Way better than the first ep. Any doubts I had are pretty much gone now. Ashur /bow

I loved the flash backs and hope we get some more.

"My cock rages on!" gotta use that line sometime.

Why does Aggro only fight with a small knife in close quarters, seems like he has a death wish. Aptly named, he's been on one ever since his brother died.

AcciDante

Man, they sure love using that awful slow motion. Every new season, it takes me awhile to get over the shows awful visual style before I can start really enjoying the writing, and they're really making it hard this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom