• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 3 - Brothers, Bridge, and Backstabbing in 2010 Minnesota - Wed on FX

HereticJ

Absolutely loved the first episode and already find myself excited to learn where these characters will go. The cast is fantastic. I just love seeing Michael Stuhlbarg in anything. Also, his name being Sy has to be a reference to A Serious Man, right?

Didn't really care much for the initial "small scale" crime(s) in this premiere as much as the past seasons.

A high, bumbling bugler kills a cop's dad while robbing the wrong house vs.
Kirsten Dunst running over a guy and driving all the way home (and her husband being forced to kill him later) in season 2 and Martin Freeman snapping and killing his wife with a hammer in season 1.

It lacked the surprise and emotional response that I got from the last two season. Maybe they just hadn't established the grandpa's character enough (or the cop or her kid for that matter) for me to care much about his death or how the death would effect the cop or her kid.

I do like the larger scale crime that's slowly happening with the rich Ewan McGregor's character being forced to launder money for the gangsters they got involved with, and I am curious about learning what the weird stuff was with the old man and his hidden box of books, but this episode didn't hook me as well as the other season openers did.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Some real hot takes in here after a first episode.

Good stuff. excited to see where it goes in the future.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
A high, bumbling bugler kills a cop's dad while robbing the wrong house.
I was thinking about this earlier, is he actually dead? When she found him he was sitting straight up with his eyes open, and she didn't seem too fucked up over the situation but you never see him again after that.

I honestly couldn't tell if I missed something or if his "death" was supposed to be open ended until the next episode.

I was thinking about this earlier, is he actually dead? When she found him he was sitting straight up with his eyes open, and she didn't seem too fucked up over the situation but you never see him again after that.

I honestly couldn't tell if I missed something or if his "death" was supposed to be open ended until the next episode.
Pretty sure he was dead, but it definitely looked a little weird. I think he was tied to the chair, but it honestly looked like he was frozen to death when she found him. Maybe he was shot, then tied up, and just died with his eyes open, but he looked pretty blue to me (maybe my TV was too dark or something, whenever I record shows on xfinity it's always a little washed out).

I didn't get a good sense of how much time had passed between the cop leaving and then turning around to get the birthday present, but I guess if the Burglar had left the door open and it had been hours, I guess he could have frozen to death in that amount of time.

No lie I would've done the same thing as Ewan McGregor when MEW got up from the bathtub.

Anyways, I thought this premiere was great. There's all this talk about formulaic but Hawley knows this. The scene at the beginning was a one-off about Fargo being about "true events". I think the setting of this season feels different from the others. There's a lot of interior shots and it's definitely constructed in a way that evokes modern day. Really looking forward to the rest of the season.

Pretty sure he was dead, but it definitely looked a little weird. I think he was tied to the chair, but it honestly looked like he was frozen to death when she found him. Maybe he was shot, then tied up, and just died with his eyes open, but he looked pretty blue to me (maybe my TV was too dark or something, whenever I record shows on xfinity it's always a little washed out).

I didn't get a good sense of how much time had passed between the cop leaving and then turning around to get the birthday present, but I guess if the Burglar had left the door open and it had been hours, I guess he could have frozen to death in that amount of time.

I think he either had a heart attack, was just beaten to death, or both. Hell with all the Nazi stuff at the beginning, maybe he popped a cyanide tablet in a fake tooth. Looking at the scene again he was badly beaten and there were heavy scuff marks on the floor, but no visible gunshot holes, and no blood.

So I decided to not watch any trailers or read up on any news about this season.

I just finished the episode and I didn't realize Ewan played both roles (thought he was just Ray) till I read some of the posts on here.

I feel dumb.

Didn't really care much for the initial "small scale" crime(s) in this premiere as much as the past seasons.

A high, bumbling bugler kills a cop's dad while robbing the wrong house vs.
Kirsten Dunst running over a guy and driving all the way home (and her husband being forced to kill him later) in season 2 and Martin Freeman snapping and killing his wife with a hammer in season 1.

It lacked the surprise and emotional response that I got from the last two season. Maybe they just hadn't established the grandpa's character enough (or the cop or her kid for that matter) for me to care much about his death or how the death would effect the cop or her kid.

I do like the larger scale crime that's slowly happening with the rich Ewan McGregor's character being forced to launder money for the gangsters they got involved with, and I am curious about learning what the weird stuff was with the old man and his hidden box of books, but this episode didn't hook me as well as the other season openers did.

agreed on the "small scale" crime. it kind of just made them look like sociopaths to me. "oh hey let's just kill him really quick or w/e".

I agree that the "large" scale crime seems much more interesting than everything else in the episode. It does seem very disconnected from the Ray plotline though, I wonder how (or if) they're going to tie them together.

I wonder why Ennis had a Hugo Award? Maybe he wrote those two sci-fi novels back in the day and is ashamed of either them or himself now.

kevin1025

Banned
I wonder why Ennis had a Hugo Award? Maybe he wrote those two sci-fi novels back in the day and is ashamed of either them or himself now.

The way they were under the floorboards, it must be a past life he ran off from or something, or ashamed of like you said.

It was a nice surprise to see that Hugo, though, haha.

TheWraith

I think he either had a heart attack, was just beaten to death, or both. Hell with all the Nazi stuff at the beginning, maybe he popped a cyanide tablet in a fake tooth. Looking at the scene again he was badly beaten and there were heavy scuff marks on the floor, but no visible gunshot holes, and no blood.

Nazi stuff?? That was 80's East Germany in the beginning!

Is it more season 1 or season 2? Cause I thought the divide was pretty large between the two (in favor of the first one).
Billy Bob Thornton carried A LOT of weight.

I couldn't stop comparing the season 1 villain to Javier Barden's character in No Country, and the former obviously lost in that comparison. Maybe that's the reason why I didn't care all that much for him.

Slacker

From Twitter:

C-IEFePXYAAYkAD.jpg

Budi

It's sad and bit nauseating that people are fixating on her bare ass when talking about her work. Especially when adressing her directly and not just drooling in GAF. But I guess she has a sense of humour about it, so it's fine.

The first episode was fine too, will continue watching. I think I preferred the first season over the second, both have been great. Let's see how this lands.

By the end of the ep am I supposed to understand the meaning of the opening scene?
Unless I'm missing something, I don't think so. There are a few ways that it could be interpreted, but I imagine it'll come in to better thematic focus by the end of the season.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I could probably recreate some of these Marvel movie credit sequences off the top of my head by now

Couldn't get into this show during first season but interested in watching Carrie Coon. Are the seasons unrelated or what? Doesn't this show compete as a miniseries?

-griffy-

Banned
I could probably recreate some of these Marvel movie credit sequences off the top of my head by now
You do end up seeing them a lot waiting for FX shows to start.
Couldn't get into this show during first season but interested in watching Carrie Coon. Are the seasons unrelated or what? Doesn't this show compete as a miniseries?
It's an anthology show, each season an independent story (and time period so far), though season 1 & 2 share some characters and are tangentially related.

Top Bottom