• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 3 - Brothers, Bridge, and Backstabbing in 2010 Minnesota - Wed on FX

-Deimos

You need to watch the Leftovers for the tie in for that subplot.

Leftovers spoilers if you're not caught up.

It's crazy that the same exact thing is currently happening to Carrie Coon's character in The Leftovers.

What are the odds of that?

That explains the deja vu.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

It's crazy that the same exact thing is currently happening to Carrie Coon's character in The Leftovers.

I keep thinking the same thing.
To the point where I was thinking about how Nora couldn't walk through the automatic door on The Leftovers, and then realized I was thinking of Fargo. Whoops lol

Alpende

This episode had a lot of humor that worked really well. Stussy hiding behind glass windows, 'Slave girls' and Ray's middle fingers and Sy's reaction to that. What MEW did was disgusting though.

I like all of the cast in here (and it was great seeing Shea Wigham, forgot he was in this) but man I gotta say David Thewlis is stealing the show for me right now. Quite the entertaining character. A totally immovable nuisance much like Billy Bob was in season 1.

also it was awesome hearing that Gogol Bordello song at the end.

I'm with you, not digging a lot of Hawley's writing so far. Direction and cinematography have only gotten better since S1 though.

Yeah, I agree with the latter.

Wow.

Watched S3EP1 and didn't really like it. Yeah, I know it has to introduce characters and the plot and stuff but it was just so, dreadfully slow. Carrie Coon was the only highlight. If I continue to watch, it would only be to see her.

Didn't get past the first few episodes of the first season for the same reason...

Watched S3EP1 and didn't really like it. Yeah, I know it has to introduce characters and the plot and stuff but it was just so, dreadfully slow. Carrie Coon was the only highlight. If I continue to watch, it would only be to see her.

Didn't get past the first few episodes of the first season for the same reason...

The show isn't for you I'm afraid

Klocker

Bunch of unlikable characters so far, no charm

Past seasons even had us liking despicable characters.

This year , they are void of that... not feeling it

Arkeband

Banned
I have a suspicion Maurice didn't glue Ennis's mouth and nose shit and there might be another sci-fi/ supernatural twist.

KarmaCow

I have a suspicion Maurice didn't glue Ennis's mouth and nose shit and there might be another sci-fi/ supernatural twist.

That would be weird, in season 2 the aliens were incidental and were more for just another layer of outsiders exerting their influence than anything that direct. There's no reason to go back and re-explain the death at this point, it's already served its purpose of kickstarting the plot.

Chumley

Banned
2 eps in and honestly the only character I'm interested in is Carrie Coon's, because she's great. I love David Thewlis but he seems to just be a boring gangster, and everyone else is absolutely dumb as bricks to a degree way higher than anyone in the last two seasons or the film were.

S1 and 2 hooked me in on their first episodes, I'm still waiting for that moment in S3.

Also, Varga having such absurd leverage over them makes no sense at all unless Sy and Emmit are lying to themselves and the audience about the loan. It's 2010, unless it was completely and blatantly illegal, one call to the cops and Varga is fucked.

-Deimos

giphy.gif

HF2014

Bunch of unlikable characters so far, no charm

Past seasons even had us liking despicable characters.

This year , they are void of that... not feeling it

Its my overall feeling too. Story seem interesting so far, im just not digging any of the caracters. Its the reverse of True Detective season 2, loved the caracters, but jesus the story suck .

Pachimari

Hmm, I've seen four episodes of Season 1 now, and I don't really think too high of it. The exaggerated acting is really something that sticks out compared to what I usually watch, and I'm sure it's a style the show has gone with but it takes some time getting used to. I also have a hard time following the plot, but that may be because it's some time since I watched the pilot, and then forgot about stuff that happened in the first episode.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The tampon reveal killed me. As enlightened as Nikki tries to be, she truly is a foul con.

I love how smart she thinks she is but all her attempts at being clever just show how inept she is.

[edit]

AVclub pointed out how the counting in the first episode ended up being meaningless since she was so off the mark.

caliph95

I love how smart she thinks she is but all her attempts at being clever just show how inept she is.

[edit]

AVclub pointed out how the counting in the first episode ended up being meaningless since she was so off the mark.
Yeah she bascally iirc got the count wrong and had to ask anyway so it was pointless

ezekial45

Banned
Is it recommended that I watch the Fargo movie before I go on with the show? I'm currently at S01E05.

It'd be GREAT if you did, as there are some obvious references to it happening throughout S1 and because it's an incredible movie, but you'll be just fine if you didn't.

Still, I can't recommend the movie enough, though.

Pachimari

It is recommended that you watch the Fargo movie because it's an amazing movie

It'd be GREAT if you did, as there are some obvious references to it happening throughout S1 and because it's an incredible movie, but you'll be just fine if you didn't.

Still, I can't recommend the movie enough, though.

Hmm, I decided to watch the movie, and I'm not sure I quite got it. There's this Jerry guy who is in debt, and we never really learn why and for what, but he got this grand plan of hiring two thugs to kidnap his wife, so they can ask for a huge ransom from his father-in-law, because he can't just go and ask them herself for reasons, that we don't learn about either? Another thing I'm not sure of is how officer Margie connects the dot to solve this whole case. Is it because she got that report of a stolen car from the place he works at, and he had lent out that car to the thugs without telling anyone? Man I'm not sure I understood the plot, and thus it suffered for it.

One thing I did like about it was the box of money hidden in the snow, that Nygaard found in Episode 4. That was a real nice tough.

If "slowness" is your problem you'll hate the Americans. Check out Breaking Bad or Mr. Robot
I recommend checking out McG's classic series Fastlane.

Hmm, I decided to watch the movie, and I'm not sure I quite got it. There's this Jerry guy who is in debt, and we never really learn why and for what, but he got this grand plan of hiring two thugs to kidnap his wife, so they can ask for a huge ransom from his father-in-law, because he can't just go and ask them herself for reasons, that we don't learn about either? Another thing I'm not sure of is how officer Margie connects the dot to solve this whole case. Is it because she got that report of a stolen car from the place he works at, and he had lent out that car to the thugs without telling anyone? Man I'm not sure I understood the plot, and thus it suffered for it.

One thing I did like about it was the box of money hidden in the snow, that Nygaard found in Episode 4. That was a real nice tough.

I don't remember it being too complex, tbh.
Jerry doesn't want to ask for the money because of pride, right?

One of the main things about Fargo is how little things, like the inability to overcome insecurities, spiral out of control. If Jerry had done anything sensible, he'd still have a family who loved him. Alas, he put the dominoes in motion and the rest is history. In many ways, Fargo is about the absurdity of life.

kevin1025

Banned
I recommend checking out McG's classic series Fastlane.

Yeah, it's a matter of pride and also he had a throwaway line in the beginning at the bar where he says that his father-in-law would never give it to him.

Yeah, it's a matter of pride and also he had a throwaway line in the beginning at the bar where he says that his father-in-law would never give it to him.

Plus when he's pitching that deal to his father in law and says it could be good for his son and wife, the father in law says THEY (not the husband) never have to worry about money

kevin1025

Banned
Plus when he's pitching that deal to his father in law and says it could be good for his son and wife, the father in law says THEY (not the husband) never have to worry about money

Haha, yep, such a kick in the head to Jerry. He can't even trust him with a lot deal, just wants to give him a finder's fee and move on.

Man, such a great fucking movie. I may have to rewatch...

Definitely rewatch!! One of my absolute favorites, and this show is hitting those some itches.

caliph95

To be fair to me i think it was the actual Fargo cast that made it and i legit took 5 minutes looking at it before clicking on the link

Pachimari

One of the main things about Fargo is how little things, like the inability to overcome insecurities, spiral out of control. If Jerry had done anything sensible, he'd still have a family who loved him. Alas, he put the dominoes in motion and the rest is history. In many ways, Fargo is about the absurdity of life.

Yeah, I guess I couldn't relate at the time, but I can see how it would have been emberassing for him to ask his father-in-law for a loan, especially since he doesn't have him in high regards.

He took out a GMAC loan, using non-existent vehicles as collateral. The dealership starts asking for proof of vehicle sales, which prompts the initial kidnapping scheme. You're right that we don't know why he took out the loan in the first place, but it's clearly established that he's not a very intelligent person so him squandering the money on gambling, an ill-fated business venture, etc is in line with his character.
I can see how he could have just wasted his money like that. I also have no idea what a GMAC loan is, but I am living in Scandinavia and English isn't my first language so I might miss small details like that.

I really don't know how you could have missed this. He asks his father-in-law for money on-screen (a loan for the parking lot investment Jerry pitches him). His father-in-law despises him and refuses, offering to give him a small finder's fee only after he pursues the investment himself.
I still don't understand this whole deal, and what a finder's fee is in this case. So he swallowed his pride and asked his father-in-law for money anyway?

The initial connection starts because Marge discovers that the vehicle the dead state trooper was ticketing had dealer plates. The car was part of the initial deal Jerry made with the thugs.
Now I get this. Dealer plates.

I don't think I've ever been so confused with a movie and tv show. And now I just finished Episode 6 of the first season, and the episode ends with Nygaard in the hospital bed, so was the whole episode just him planning to frame his brother and it didn't actually happen?

Liked the first two episodes of this but they're lacking the standout quality S1 and 2 had so far. The first episode of S2 is genuinely a bona fide masterpiece, and I think it's one of the great seasons of TV.

But hell, it's still very enjoyable.

Pachimari

So I've found this wiki and I'm understanding it all better now. Unfortunately I accidentally read a spoiler, of what happens to Lester in Season 1, ugh.

kevin1025

Banned
I still don't understand this whole deal, and what a finder's fee is in this case. So he swallowed his pride and asked his father-in-law for money anyway?

Jerry wanted to get a loan from his father-in-law to make a deal for the lot himself (which is just a cover to pay back the debt), but instead, the father-in-law and his lawyer are icing him out and will do the deal themselves. For the information, they will give him a small sum of money, in this case it's called the finder's fee.

So I've found this wiki and I'm understanding it all better now. Unfortunately I accidentally read a spoiler, of what happens to Lester in Season 1, ugh.

That's too bad. There's plenty of other things that aren't spoiled if you read what I think you read, so hopefully it doesn't hurt the rest of the season for you! Plenty of other surprises!

Fury451

Banned
Interesting to see people liking Carrie Coon's character- out of all the law enforcement we've seen in this series so far, she's far and away the least interesting. Not a fault of her performance, just the writing and the character herself. That plotline interests me the least by a longshot.

kevin1025

Banned
Interesting to see people liking Carrie Coon's character- out of all the law enforcement we've seen in this series so far, she's far and away the least interesting. Not a fault of her performance, just the writing and the character herself. That plotline interests me the least by a longshot.

Yeah, the character is definitely weaker so far. But I imagine the character will become more interesting as the investigation and the walls close in. Plus there's the scene from the TV spot that hasn't happened yet
where Ray and Nikki are in the diner and take off when she sits down with her kid
, which has some cool implications, so I think it'll get real interesting real fast.

Top Bottom