• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 3 - Brothers, Bridge, and Backstabbing in 2010 Minnesota - Wed on FX

ezekial45

Banned
Loved the Stan Grossman mention
stangrossman.jpg

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Perfection. This episode was hilarious. So happy to see them get back to that signature Fargo dark humor so quickly. David Thewlis is turning in turning in a performance for the ages right now.

The actor who plays Yuri was one of the main guys on The Last Panthers. Enjoyed him on the show, good to see him pop up here.

Both brothers getting other people killed now, even if it is by accident.

Get slapped by your girl because your chi is off.

One note from Sepinwall's review:
Irv gets fatally tossed off the parking deck by one of Varga’s men, Yuri Gurka. This is also the name of the accused murderer in the mistaken identity case in the East Berlin scene from the season premiere. Presumably, this is a different Yuri Gurka — he’d have been a little kid back in 1988 — and perhaps we’ll find out down the road if they’re related, or if this is an Emmit/Ennis Stussy situation. But all the parallels from name to name, story to story, aren’t here by accident. Two brothers with the same face are going to cause a lot of grief for a lot of people before all is said and done, all because it took them too long to realize they’d much rather be together than apart.

ZOONAMI

I'll feel bad for long haired EM if cop lady catches on to him and puts him in jail.

what's kind of shitty is he would have been better off calling the cops on the halt and catch fire guy, explaining the stupidity of the whole situation. Halt and catch fire guy would get homicide thrown at him and at worst EM would get conspiracy charges.

Now he's on the hook for at least manslaughter for killing the halt and catch fire by kicking out the AC. Even that is a stretch as it's fairly circumstantial, they could have been trying to take out the AC and it did just happen to fall out while the dude was standing down there.

So yeah maybe he can get off the hook just because of the incompetence of halt and catch fire guy. He did start the plan they conspired on, so conspiracy charges, but he botched the whole operation so much a jury might just be willing to let EM slide.

Legit it's like what the fuck dude you lose the address why don't you just ask for the address again? And then glueing the old mans mouth and nose shut? What the fuck.

Boem

I'll feel bad for long haired EM if cop lady catches on to him and puts him in jail.

what's kind of shitty is he would have been better off calling the cops on the halt and catch fire guy, explaining the stupidity of the whole situation. Halt and catch fire guy would get homicide thrown at him and at worst EM would get conspiracy charges.

Now he's on the hook for at least manslaughter for killing the halt and catch fire by kicking out the AC. Even that is a stretch as it's fairly circumstantial, they could have been trying to take out the AC and it did just happen to fall out while the dude was standing down there.

So yeah maybe he can get off the hook just because of the incompetence of halt and catch fire guy. He did start the plan they conspired on, so conspiracy charges, but he botched the whole operation so much a jury might just be willing to let EM slide.

I mean, people making terrible decisions out of incompetence/cowardice is pretty much what this entire show is built on.

Onion A|V Club on the meaning of the episode title:
The title of tonight’s episode, “The Principle Of Restricted Choice,” is a reference to bridge—the card game, not the spanning structures that keep cars out of rivers. I had to look it up, but put as basically as possible, it means that it’s possible to have some sense of what a player is holding by going off the cards they play. Translate that into a dramatic device, and its generalized enough that I’m not sure what element in this hour, specifically, the name is referring to. But the basic idea, that what you hold in your hand limits what you can play on the table (thus allowing a keen observer to run the odds just by keeping an eye on what you’re forced to reveal) is not a bad metaphor for how a story builds itself. We think we have choices, but really, each decision we make narrows our options: until eventually, someone calls your bluff. Or something. Look, I’m not up on my competitive bridge.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Legit it's like what the fuck dude you lose the address why don't you just ask for the address again? And then glueing the old mans mouth and nose shut? What the fuck.

I don't think he could've called the cops. He blackmailed a parolee to commit burglary. That's more than enough for a felony murder charge.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
"Slave girls" had me in stitches

The more I think about it the funnier it gets. Like even the most heinous criminal would park a semi trailer full of slave girls in the middle of an outdoor lot in snowy Minnesota. Michael Stuhlbarg no-sells Ewan McGregor's incredulous response so well.

On paper this cast was already too good to be true but the execution so far has been flawless.

ZOONAMI

I don't think he could've called the cops. He blackmailed a parolee to commit burglary. That's more than enough for a felony murder charge.

Kicking the AC out on the guy might be enough for manslaughter, but conspiring to commit a burglary doesn't equate to homicide. Maybe manslaughter again. There wasn't any intent to murder anyone on EMs part, and the murder of the old man wasn't really even accidental as he glued both this mouth and nose shut. I don't think a jury would convict EM on a manslaughter charge because it isn't at all what he consirpired to do and it's pretty much all on the stupidity of the halt and catch fire guy. Wrong house, no need to kill the old guy like that, pretty much all on him. DA would already have their man for homicide and would probably do a plea with EW for conspiracy burglary and his parole related law breaking for reasons above.

ZOONAMI

I wish they would film this in MN instead of Canada though.

At least some brief scenes/aerial shots/montages of at least some landmarks in MPLS/St Paul would add some authenticity too it.

It feels like the show is taking place in Canada more than MN, because, well, it is.

Accents are too heavy but that's par for the course with Fargo. Most people don't have one at all. It's like every one is a second gen swede or Norwegian or something. Maybe more prevalent in like the 1960s but not really at all in 2010.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Kicking the AC out on the guy might be enough for manslaughter, but conspiring to commit a burglary doesn't equate to homicide. Maybe manslaughter again. There wasn't any intent to murder anyone on EMs part, and the murder of the old man wasn't really even accidental as he glued both this mouth and nose shut. I don't think a jury would convict EM on a manslaughter charge because it isn't at all what he consirpired to do and it's pretty much all on the stupidity of the halt and catch fire guy. Wrong house, no need to kill the old guy like that, pretty much all on him.

Even if it isn't by your hand or your intent, if someone dies as the result of a felony that you've put into motion, there's a good chance that you'll be looking at felony murder.

Guy went on a police chase and two news helicopters covering it crashed, and he got a murder charge for it.

Blackmailing a parolee to breaking into a house, someone you specifically would have knowledge of being dangerous...I don't see getting any leniency there.

Much better episode. That's why I didn't get all the praise for the premiere. Fargo is capable of better and it's already proved it. I hope the trajectory continues.

LiQuid!

Much better episode. That's why I didn't get all the praise for the premiere. Fargo is capable of better and it's already proved it. I hope the trajectory continues.
It's unrealistic to expect them to come out of the gate hurling zingers like episode 2. The first episode has the burden of introducing a totally new set of characters and the groundwork for an entire season's worth of machinations and it did a fine job.

caliph95

You borrowed a million dollars from a guy without knowing his first name. I'm not asking a question, I'm just assessing the level of stupidity

next scene can't even google and clicked on a random link

Not really feeling this season, unfortunately. But I hope that like S2 it will ramp up later on.

Please let the "Machines can't recognize me" Gloria subplot have a decent ending.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Please let the "Machines can't recognize me" Gloria subplot have a decent ending.

You need to watch the Leftovers for the tie in for that subplot.

Leftovers spoilers if you're not caught up.

It's crazy that the same exact thing is currently happening to Carrie Coon's character in The Leftovers.

What are the odds of that?

caliph95

You need to watch the Leftovers for the tie in for that subplot.

Leftovers spoilers if you're not caught up.

It's crazy that the same exact thing is currently happening to Carrie Coon's character in The Leftovers.

What are the odds of that?
the writers could be in the same circles and one of them inspired the other

Stoze

Not really feeling this season, unfortunately. But I hope that like S2 it will ramp up later on.

I'm with you, not digging a lot of Hawley's writing so far. Direction and cinematography have only gotten better since S1 though.

Top Bottom