• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Character Select Screen Leaked (Spoilers) [Update: Stage Renders]

Bleepey

Raging Spaniard said:
Sweet, internet tough guy time.

John Tobias is a decent artist, and I thought the design for Kung Lao was pretty inspired ... but I strongly disagree with your overall points, the other designs I like are big ripoffs from other media (Raiden being straight out of Big Trouble in Little China, or this new Cyber Sub-Zero being a palette swap of Predator, to name a few).

But hey, whatever, throw more fucks words around, maybe I'll get scared of posting or something.

Look at how well the MK games sell despite how poor a lot of them ahve been. The character designs really helped the series last a long time. From the frist Bruce lee homage in Liu kang, kang Lao and his bad ass hat, the iconic rainbow ninjas, Raiden's design being from Big Trouble in little China, Sonya Blade being based of off Cynthia rothrock, Johnny Cage being based on JCVD etc etc. The shoutouts to old school martial arts flicks was and still is awesome. As for big rip offs, shit the same could be said for SF. The SF games ripper of the karate kid, they weren't even trying to hide their Homage/rip off of bruce Lee, Mike Tyson, Fedor Emelinko, Angelina Jolie to name a few of the top of my head.
mr. puppy said:
arguably? according to who, you?

yeah pretty much. And there are probably a lot of people who would agree the MK characters had great character desings.

Cruzader

Banned
Not sure what the problem is beside ugly art renders.

MK characters themselves are awesome and memorable if I may say. Still remember MK2 in the arcades along with KI. Though raiden's shout before his flying move thing is stuck in my head from the SNES days at home. Dont give a rats ass they are rip-offs of movies/actors. Not the point.

Ugly renders in 2011 is a problem. I can deal with it but sucks as its a huge flaw in this awesome package. I linked to apparently super awesome art renders. What happened here? Lets ignore the fact Smoke has some retarded hair....why did they have to make the art render 100x worse? Like they have to make him ugly and point out his dumb hair? Double kick in the nuts.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Johnny Cage aka Duke Nukem on the select screen LOL

Slamtastic said:
MK has the best character design of any fighting game.

The only good SF designs are the ones from 3.

Come at me bros.

I'm guessing you haven't played the most recent MK games. Some of those character designs were ATROCIOUS.

I'd say KOF in its heyday had the best character designs. Team USA! LOL

Good character design in fighting games doesn't necessarily mean it has to be original. Balrog(boxer) is an example of an awesome character design based off a real life inspiration. The fact a character like him can exist and be competitive with other fighters is a tremendous accomplishment.

MK games have unique and quirky character designs. Aesthetically, I think they looked better when it was the low-res digitized version. The biggest weakness in MK character design is how the fighting engine doesn't aspire to give personality to the characters themselves.

henhowc said:
I'm guessing you haven't played the most recent MK games. Some of those character designs were ATROCIOUS.

When people talk about MK's character designs in a positive way you can be sure that they're referring to MK-UMK3.

Aske

I don't mind Smoke so much now that I've seen more of the design. It's not ideal, but it's not as bad as the character portrait suggested. Hope his alt is more like his original ninja outfit.

But I don't know why they didn't give Quan Chi his awesome MK4 costume. It was so much more distinctive than the creepy monk's outfit he's worn in subsequent games, and it would have strongly differentiated his design away from Kratos.

20110329-tnctxfjhpb4th5jy88d69e8yf8.jpg

G-Fex said:
Holy shit I had no idea Final Fight was inspired by Streets of Fire

It's actually not at all. I have an magazine interview with the creator of Final Fight (who now works at Arika) and stated that Final Fight was not based on Streets of Fire at all, and that vigilantes fighting through streets of gangs to save a girl was just a popular theme in the 80s.

RedAssedApe

Banned
IntelliHeath said:
did anyone realize that Liu Kang look like Ricky Steamboat?

He just looks like a generic asian martial artist which is coincidentally what Ricky Steamboat looked like when he wasn't in his dragon garb. :)

Why For?

Banned
So fucken pissed I have to import this.

Might get the LE since our dollar is above the US one. The price for your LE is the same as our regular price lol.

DatBreh

Banned
fernoca said:
Seems that all data is with them facing to the right. Even the data from the right side (like Kratos, Jax, Stryker). Having them with borders, just confirms that they will be bosses...but that Kintaro is on the retail release and not DLC.

Guess we'll see.

How are you getting that? Kintaro has a different border than the other three.

I think Smoke looks fine. He is actually the character I want to try out the most just to see how they made him unique. They need to release a gameplay video for him =/

And LOL at people bitching over character renders. Character renders of all things... Jesus Herbert Christ.

strideramc

This thread is blowing my mind. For some reason I thought Kintaro was Goro's father. I could have sworn I read that in some early 90's game mag. I think it was EGM.

If the image of smoke from a few weeks back is real then his alt will be so much better, longer white hair, MK3 ninja outfit with some changes, bad ass 100%

Current smoke looks like a dofus.

Azuran

Banned
I'm rioting if Shang Tsung doesn't have his MK3 look as an alternate. That was without a doubt the best one. Original was horrible and he looks like a five year old with that hat in the sequel.

fernoca

DatBreh said:
How are you getting that? Kintaro has a different border than the other three.
Leaks and stuff.
That's why I said "guess we'll see" since one thing MK has shown, is to never believe anything until playing the games. :p

Plus infinity posted some more about the border:
infinityBCRT said:
If you watch a vid of the ladder in the demo you'll see what it is. When you're fighting an opponent, both your character and the opponent have the border that everyone else normally has. When theres a character above you in the ladder that you haven't faced yet it looks like the Kintaro pic. It looks like it says 6 as in he'll be the 6th enemy you'll fight. But its weird because the 6 should be mirrored...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Haha, man. Just played some MK2 online (PSN). Really laggy, but me and some random guy had some good matches despite the lag. Then I pick Mileena, teleport kick/sai throw my way to a Flawless Victory, then he ragequits.

:lol :lol

Also, PS3GAF should play MK2 online or something, in honor of MK9's impending release.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Beardz said:
Dude, we know it, you are the BEST designer in the universe, you're always right about design and shit.

Wooow, internet rage! I'm just stating my opinion, same as everyone else here.

But hey, get personal, it makes you sound awesome.

Azuran said:
I'm rioting if Shang Tsung doesn't have his MK3 look as an alternate. That was without a doubt the best one. Original was horrible and he looks like a five year old with that hat in the sequel.
I think his alt is the old man version.

Kurtofan said:
Kintaro is a tiger?!
I thought he had a badass white goatee?!!
I've been living a lie all this time.
Kintaro always seemed like a kitty with his stripes and what not. Kintaro was much more pleasant to look at than Goro. Goro was hideous.

MisterHero

~Devil Trigger~ said:
img.php

img.php

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm?!?!?!
it seems that they have 2 for certain characters to make sure the perspective is correct

I noticed they did the same with the word 'SWAT' on Stryker's hat

rpgb46

I'm a little surprised there is that many characters, especially since one of the reasons became stale was because of the ridiculous size of the character selection screen. Still, there was probably too many fan favs to leave out.

I wonder if these are all unlocked from the beginning?

bathala said:
So where r u guys going to get this game?
Amazon's $10 credit sound tempting

I ordered the KE from Amazon. Mainly so I don't ever have to enter a Gamestop again.

Btw, I'm sure this has been posted, but... Amazon added same day delivery on the KE, so anyone getting it there might want to update their order.

fernoca

I do agree with one thing, for the most part the Vs. artwork is just bad (portraits too). Don't know what was the process of doing those specific images or even picking them for the game; but theres not two ways about it. Some look more decent than others (Sindel looks nice, Noob Saibot..Sheeva just looks bad); but "decent" doesn't look "nice" when you'll be constantly seeing and comparing characters.

I was hoping that i twas going to be placeholder, since they were always talking about the character select screen not being final, but guess it was final...since E3 2010.

And they can make great ones in hi-res:
w0lv9h.jpg

And more traditional ones too:
1412mqg.jpg

Heck, they could've used those same images as Vs/portraits..so, I just don't know what was the thinking process. :/

But no biggie. :)

Frankfurt

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
Sweet, internet tough guy time.

John Tobias is a decent artist, and I thought the design for Kung Lao was pretty inspired ... but I strongly disagree with your overall points, the other designs I like are big ripoffs from other media (Raiden being straight out of Big Trouble in Little China, or this new Cyber Sub-Zero being a palette swap of Predator, to name a few).

But hey, whatever, throw more fucks words around, maybe I'll get scared of posting or something.

Street Fighter is FAR more guilty of ripping other media than MK. MK has quite a bit of those, but in SF everyone is a copy. Literally everyone. Even the characters that look unique, like Abel, Juri, Chunners... Even those are MMA fighters, manga or movie characters. That's true for Alpha, 1, 2, 4... Only 3 has some originality.

There's even a website with side-by-side images for everyone.

Top Bottom