• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2017 [OT] 100 Years of Playoff Salt

nubcake

Neo Member
Got all my first round series picks right except Edmonton so you can take these to the bank (or much more likely, my luck is about to run out):

Rags in 7
Pens in 6
PERDS in 6
Ducks in 5

Quick

Banned
Ji9OH1a.gif

calder

Did Scott Oake really ask Johansson "If the Capitals go all the way to Cup Final will you ever play an opponent as good as the Leafs?"

Wow

No, he said if they go all the way can you imagine a series as tight and close. A weirdly phrased question that Johansson answered oddly because he probably didn't know what he meant.

They made the playoffs when no one expected them to.
They made a fight out of a series no one said they had a chance in.
They outlasted Calgary, Chicago, Minnesota, and Columbus.

It was a good season.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Word is that Blues-Preds starts on Wednesday. Expect schedule fuckery since both Scottrade and Bridgestone have events going on over the next couple of weeks.

Parch

Close games, lots of OTs, so Leafs played alright. A few more lucky bounces and they could have stole that series.

Such a different tone from the Hab and Leaf losses.
Montreal loses - they're pissed and want heads to roll. Grumpy cats.
Toronto loses - remain optimistic and proud of the season. Happy puppies.

Sens over Rangers
Capitals over Penguins

Oilers over Ducks
Predators over Blues

Capitals over Sens
Oilers over Predators

Capitals then win the Cup in 7 games over Edmonton.

I'm looking forward to Pittsburgh/Nashville more than anything right now. That could be a classic final.

Montresor

Well on the bright side Leafs being eliminated from the playoffs will give me a lot more time to play games I guess.

Man what a rollercoaster this season has been. The Leafs need a really good #1D. That's not going to be easy to get.

MPW

Close games, lots of OTs, so Leafs played alright. A few more lucky bounces and they could have stole that series.

that's because habs window of winning the cup is closing after next year when price's contract is up and he will be asking for a huge raise (I can see it now, price signed for 5 years at 50m, bascially ending any chance of wnning the cup for the forseeable future)

Context is important. Habs went into this season with expectations and flopped in R1. Leafs went into this season with 0 expectations and managed to push the best
choke artists
in the league to 6 games. By all accounts, this is a very successful season for the Leafs and a major letdown for the Habs.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Also, the rest of RangersGAF is gonna have to pick up the slack for me a little bit in this round. I'm gonna be in Iceland for games 4 and 5 because why not, so we'll have to see how I manage to follow those.

Now that I ran out of Kermit gifs to spam...

Hell of a series, and the Leafs held on for a lot longer than what people expected. In the end, the Caps outmatched them. It's a learning experience that I hope the team can learn from for next season.

It's almost funny that the Leafs just sucked at OT during the regular season, only to match up against the Caps for 5 games that went to OT in this round.

ONE MORE AROOOOOOOOOO! I NEED YOU!

MATTHEWS! AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

MARNER! AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NYLANDER! AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

FREDDY! AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

YOFFS! AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

giphy.gif

Damn look at all these Leaf fans out of the woodwork, gatdamn.

Damn look at all these Leaf fans out of the woodwork, gatdamn.

I don't know how to tell you this but the Leafs are around all year even when they sucked. Quick especially is one of NHLGAF's most frequent posters.

If anything, the one that applies to the "coming out of the woodwork" camp is yourself given that you only post here when something good happens to the Oilers.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
The only thing I want to say is that I wished we had drafted Nylander like I wanted back then.

Socreges

Banned
I don't know how to tell you this but the Leafs are around all year even when they sucked. Quick especially is one of NHLGAF's most frequent posters.

If anything, the one that applies to the "coming out of the woodwork" camp is yourself given that you only post here when something good happens to the Oilers.
Ironically, if you were more familiar with The Internet you'd realize he was kidding.

mo60

Penguins in 6 - I'd love to be wrong, but the Pens' depth seems endless. If the Leafs pushed them to the limit, the Pens may threaten to blow them away. Another year out after 2 for the Caps.
Rangers in 7 - Ottawa's neutral zone play has given the Rangers fits in their previous meetings this season, and Hank is due for a little regression. Experience and road play barely puts the Rangers through. Look for some first round duds like Kreider and Miller to wake up in round 2.
Predators in 5 - Two upstart teams, the Preds seem more believable than the Blues to me, though.
Ducks in 7 - Super wishy washy on this one. This could be a ton of fun. Ducks have been to the dance before and aren't quite at the end of their rope like the Sharks were, though. Think they can squeak by.

The ducks winning against the oilers is questionable at the moment. They did not really crush calgary in their 4 games against them. If the oilers play at the level they were playing at against the sharks in the end I think they will beat the ducks.

David Johnson‏ @hockeyanalysis 5h5 hours ago
Replying to @hockeyanalysis
Only 2 of the top 14 CF% teams remain. Interestingly this also happened in 2014-15. Those two teams, CHI and TB were the cup finalists.

David Johnson‏ @hockeyanalysis 5h5 hours ago
More
If that happens again we are looking at a Washington-Nashville Stanley Cup finals.

3rgXBOmTlzyFCURutG.gif

sirronoh

For the second round, I'm going with:

Nashville beats St. Louis in 6.
Edmonton beats Anaheim in 7.

New York beats Ottawa in 6.
Pittsburgh beats Washington in 7.

Top Bottom