• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup 2017 Finals [OT]- To Catch a Predator

More fun stats: Pens are 5-0 in Stanley Cup finals when beating the Caps is part of the road. Only time where the Pens didn't play the Caps and made it to the finals they lost...

How's that for a fuck you Capitals stat. XD

Mike Sullivan has never lost a NHL playoff series.

Pens are the first team to win a Stanley cup with a 6 man D where not a single one has every received even as much as a vote for a Norris trophy.... How

"Greater than the sum of its parts" has never applied more than here, I think. It's really remarkable how well-coached they are.

Pens also win two cups with the same coach for the first time and Murray is the first player ever to win two cups while still being classified as a rookie

MPW

Crosby - best player of his generation no doubt, should be on the cover of next NHL game

marc_bergevin.jpg

I bet he is happy that pk didn't win the cup

just imagine how the montreal media would react if pk did win the cup in the same year habs got bounced in the first round of playoffs

pens easilly won the phil kessel trade

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Crosby - best player of his generation no doubt, should be on the cover of next NHL game

marc_bergevin.jpg

just imagine how the montreal media would react if pk did win the cup in the same year habs got bounced in the first round of playoffs

And the hornqvist/Neal trade

More fun with numbers. Penguins entered the league in the NHL's 50th season, they won their second cup during their 25th season and the NHL's 75th and now 25 years later they've won during their 50th and the NHL's 100th... Funny how weird shit works like that.

They also won cups on the 100 anniversary of the Cup's creation (though it wasn't awarded for the first time until 1893) and now the 125th ( though again the 125th anniversary of the cup first being handed out will be next year For some reason the celebrated the 125th this year but the 100th in 93 instead of 92.

More pointless numbers XD

lupinko

marc_bergevin.jpg

I dunno, I'm happy with Matthews (Kessel kept the team from tanking all the way), Kapanen Jr and that 30th 1st we turned into Fred Andersen.

I'm sure no Leafs fan is crying over Kessel winning a second cup.

Alucard

Banned
Crosby's 1 goal and 6 assists actually led all scorers in the final series itself. 3 of those assists all came in one game, but still, easier to see why he'd be the one getting the Conn Smythe.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously can we take a second to appreciate how hard back to back Stanley Cup wins are in today's NHL.

Fucking Penguins.

Alucard

Banned
Seriously can we take a second to appreciate how hard back to back Stanley Cup wins are in today's NHL.

Fucking Penguins.

Yes. Yes, we can. They were one Ottawa OT goal away from not being here. And they got a clutch performance from Fleury in game seven against the Caps the series before that one to get to Ottawa.

This was a really hard-fought Cup win. Pens were on the edge of a knife multiple times.

That wasn't the point of that trade for the leafs. Tank/get future assets was

I missed the game entirely... couldn't find it on the radio :(

Congrats Pens, back-to-back is something else in this day and age. They are getting dynasty​ like.

I think the current management still deserves some credit. Kessel, Hags, Bonino, Schultz etc...all acquired under Rutherford IIRC.

fuck the pens

Congrats Pens, back-to-back is something else in this day and age. They are getting dynasty​ like.

I think the current management still deserves some credit. Kessel, Hags, Bonino, Schultz etc...all acquired under Rutherford IIRC.

fuck the pens
Yeah, I can't believe how well Rutherford has done after most of us were pretty hesitant on him.

marc_bergevin.jpg

It still doesn't look good on the Canadiens. Habs fans are bitching about shipping off PK and him being the leader of a Stanley Cup contending team in one year.

j-wood

Today fucking sucks.

Symmetry in Nashville missing its two best chances for a professional championship: In Super Bowl XXXIV on Jan. 30, 2000, the St. Louis Rams broke a tie score with 1:54 remaining in the game and the Tennessee Titans couldn't come back. In Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final on June 11, 2017, the Pittsburgh Penguins broke a tie score with 1:35 remaining in the game and the Nashville Predators couldn't come back. Faith Hill sang the national anthem before both games

Alucard

Banned
Today fucking sucks.

Symmetry in Nashville missing its two best chances for a professional championship: In Super Bowl XXXIV on Jan. 30, 2000, the St. Louis Rams broke a tie score with 1:54 remaining in the game and the Tennessee Titans couldn't come back. In Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final on June 11, 2017, the Pittsburgh Penguins broke a tie score with 1:35 remaining in the game and the Nashville Predators couldn't come back. Faith Hill sang the national anthem before both games

This proves God doesn't exist. Faith means nothing.

bill0527

I woke up this morning still bummed about the Preds losing but then damn near went full on panic attack when I realized no more hockey until October. What the fuck am I supposed to do now?

Yes. Yes, we can. They were one Ottawa OT goal away from not being here. And they got a clutch performance from Fleury in game seven against the Caps the series before that one to get to Ottawa.

This was a really hard-fought Cup win. Pens were on the edge of a knife multiple times.

Not to mention Game 1 and 2 of the SCF were crazy and infinitely loseable yet they found ways.

fuck the pens

Kessel, Hagelin, Bonino, Hornqvist, Cullen, Schultz, Cole, Sheary, Hainsey, Daley, Rowney, Ruhwedel, Streit were all signed, or traded for by current GM Jim Rutherford since he got hired 3 years ago.

Alucard

Banned
Not to mention Game 1 and 2 of the SCF were crazy and infinitely loseable yet they found ways.

Kessel, Hagelin, Bonino, Hornqvist, Cullen, Schultz, Cole, Sheary, Hainsey, Daley, Rowney, Ruhwedel, Streit were all signed, or traded for by current GM Jim Rutherford since he got hired 3 years ago.

It's really impressive to think about when you see the whole list.

Socreges

Banned
This narrative is getting a bit weird now. It's a team sport. You need a deep lineup. But where do Crosby and Malkin fit? The two best forwards in the game. Easily the two highest P/GP among active forwards. This isn't miracle work putting together a team that supports those two. Apart from Kessel, that supporting cast could be the Vegas Knights opening night roster if they didn't happen to be playing alongside two greats.

Gretzky/Messier
Lemieux/Jagr
Forsberg/Sakic
Crosby/Malkin

Combos that will win championships provided management does enough to support them.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This narrative is getting a bit weird now. It's a team sport. You need a deep lineup. But where do Crosby and Malkin fit? The two best forwards in the game. Easily the two highest P/GP among active forwards. This isn't miracle work putting together a team that supports those two. Apart from Kessel, that supporting cast could be the Vegas Knights opening night roster if they didn't happen to be playing alongside two greats.

Gretzky/Messier
Lemieux/Jagr
Forsberg/Sakic
Crosby/Malkin

Combos that will win championships provided management does enough to support them.

Sedin/Sedin won consecutive Art Ross's...

-sobs-

PillarEN

I think you're simplifying things Soc. Plenty of 1, 2 punch generational talents who spent their careers side by side that never won together. This ain't no NBA

Top Bottom