• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

I really don't understand the blind faith that so many of you here have for Sony. You're all so confident that they won't charge for online and I have no idea where this confidence is coming from.

Because Sony has made nothing but great moves the past 8 years...wait a minute.

Why not? Because of the example MS set?

Sony tried being 'friendly' this gen (free online play, no proprietary memory) and it lost them a chunk of pennies. Why repeat the mistake?

Exactly. It's not a question of will they do it, but how they'll do it.

Derrick01

Banned
Isn't that being a hypocrite? I'm sure you've lost your shit to rumors.

As bad as all the rumors have been for durango I didn't flip out, I just said it would suck if it ends up like that and I'm still at least waiting for their reveal. People don't even wait for the companies to disappoint them anymore before going nuts.

I guess you filtered out the part where you said I'm selectively reading posts. Also assuming I'm one of these "people" who said $400 would be the max? lol Welcome to the ignore list.

You're really upset, huh. Sorry, "brah."

I normally don't give into demands from people that cannot keep their composure and discuss topics in a level-headed way, but Evilore's sticky post says to back up your claims. So, here you go. A large thread with GAFers that believe $400 will be the max, and here are some random posts taken from just 2 of the 11 pages:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45827529&postcount=4
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45827713&postcount=20
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45827775&postcount=28
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45828008&postcount=44
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45935033&postcount=512

There were so many "def won't be more than $400" posts that I stopped after five. Hope you understand.

LastNac

Speculation time ..

PS4 ($429)
250GB
EyeToy
Controller
Free Online MP, Demos

PS4 ($529)
500GB
EyeToy
Controller
Launch (Move) Game Pack-in
1 Year of PlayStation World (BC via Gakai, PS+ features, Streaming etc.)

If it the real world model comes down to something like this, I'd go with the $429 version in a heartbeat. Upgrade the HDD myself (assuming they dont force proprietary HDD crap ala MS), get the PS World subscription when it's tested and tried. And fuck the pack-in Move Game :p

In this article, the biggest surprise IMO is;
1. Price
2. Price when EyeToy is bundled with every console.

And maybe $529 comes with PlanetSide 2.

I don't even use Xbox Live, so I could care less about the online.
The pricing seems a bit too much. I expected $400, but $500 is inefficient.
Well, we'll see tomorrow, right?

ironcreed

Banned
And what exactly are you going to do if both Sony and MS have pay to play online? We don't really have much of a choice.

This is true. At least the perks of Plus would be part of it and I am subscribed to that already. So, it really would be no different.

You guys are insane. Did you all really think Sony wouldn't jump on with Microsoft when there's money to be made? That's how oligopolies work.

Sony charging for playing online at this point would be like Valve all the sudden charging for Steam. Sony isn't going to take something that's been free for 7 years and all the sudden start charging for it, and PSN Plus has been doing decently enough to warrant it being expanded upon and people seem to love it.

This is just Kotaku spouting last minute bullshit before the meeting happens.

Ya if $30 hurts so much, there is no way they will be able to afford $60 launch games.

Sony probably isn't interested in this demographic for the first year or two. They NEED people who buy games. Not the people who wait for used or deeep discounts.

That's genius! They should sell it for a thousand bucks to get those who really buy games!

Tymerend

I had every intention of waiting until a significant price drop, it seems it'll be even longer than I had originally thought. Not a big deal. Build up a nice library for both consoles to see which is better before taking the plunge.

If Sony does end up charging for most online interractions, it'll probably 'force' consumers to ante up for the service. If most of their customers are doing that, they won't feel a need to offer 'free' games to entice people.

I hope for:

Online MP is free
Day1 demos for everyone

PS World:
- monthly free games
- discounts for PSN store
- BC via gaikai or monthly access to entire streaming Playstation catalogue [pay more to activate more games per month].
- cloud saves
- spectating friends
- advanced video recording
- free entertaiment content

Hope it's this.

Everything that is free on the PS3 and Vita will no doubt continue to be free, so MP, Chat, side apps like Netflix, iPlayer etc. will all still be free. Features that are behind PS+ now, subscription games, cloud saves, etc. along with new features like GaiKai streaming are what is going to be behind a paywall.

Why is everybody OK with backwards compatibility being behind a paywall? Paying a monthly fee to play your existing games you already own, even in single player mode?

They aren't streaming the BC because it's an awesome way to do BC, they are doing it because they fucked up with their PS3 architecture decision and it's the only fucking way they can possibly do BC at all!

PS4. We got you to pay a monthly fee to play your PS3 games in single player mode.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Whatever premium subscription they have, it will have to extend to the Vita and probably the PS3. It will probably be a rebranded and expanded PS+.

Just like when PS+ was extended to the Vita with no additional price.

Why is everybody OK with backwards compatibility being behind a paywall? Paying a monthly fee to play your existing games you already own, even in single player mode?

They aren't streaming the BC because it's an awesome way to do BC, they are doing it because they fucked up with their PS3 architecture decision and it's the only fucking way they can possibly do BC at all!

PS4. We got you to pay a monthly fee to play your PS3 games in single player mode.

Did Sony make your PS3 self destruct? No one is making you do anything. They will have a business model that makes them money, what they provide is rumor at this point.

Also, if online multiplayer is behind a paywall, I'm going to boycott it. This goes with the Xbox 3 as well, by the way. There's literally no excuse any more for putting P2P multiplayer services behind a paywall, never mind the small fact that the vast majority of PC multiplayer games don't charge for multiplayer (and an increasing number don't charge to download the thing in the first place).

MS' Xbox Live gold thing was too popular. Sony won't want to give up that free money.

"If millions are paying $50 a year to play online on Xbox, why are we giving it away for free?"

On the controller front, I like the concave analog sticks, but hate the placement. I could never play FPS games on a PS2 or 3. Maybe it will be different on the 4.

kingocfs

This.

Nobody said anything about paying for online...

But who wants a gimped online experience? The online experience you get for free on your PS3 right now doesn't compare very well to Live's features. You will have to pay for anything worth a damn for whatever new online infrastructure they've built (presumably) for this new console, as you should.

Mileena

Banned
our source says that every PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye

Cut $30 off the price and remove this shit. Nobody liked PS Eye the first two times, let's pretend it never existed and move on.

I think sony is making a mistake if its going to be priced above $400, just dont think it will sell well, especially if MS sells for less.

alphaNoid

Banned
Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus

qrk5U.gif

daoster

Isn't $429 kinda inline with the Nikkei report a week or two ago?

Also, this is the first we've heard of two SKUs, when past rumors suggested that Sony was going to stick with one SKU this time around.

Still, if Sony are going to focus on the cheaper SKU, and use that SKU as the "main" model (kinda like how Apple uses the cheapest iPhone/Ipad as it's "main model") then that might not be too bad.

Pay to play though...that is something I sincerely hope is not true, though.

noobasuar

Banned
One of many reasons that MS was able to charge for Xbox Live was because it had two of the biggest exclusive online multiplayer games (Gears and Halo)

Sony doesn't have that luxury. Nobody's going to pay money to play uncharted multiplayer.

dookeh

If both consoles go subscription, I wont have too much trouble going PC only. The only console exclusives I really care about are Forza and Platinum Games... er games. I'm done with Gears/Uncharted/God of War etc... this generation is so played out.

Note to Capcom: Please update your PC games faster as I soon may not own a console. Thanks

Trevelyon

I'll throw my hat completely into 'PlayStation World' being a beefed up version of Plus with Gaikai streaming being another pole in that tent. But, the basic p2p multi, friends list, trophies, chat be it voice, party or otherwise being completely free.

Absolutely believe this will be the case, despite the wishful thinkers.

Kimawolf

Sony charging for playing online at this point would be like Valve all the sudden charging for Steam. Sony isn't going to take something that's been free for 7 years and all the sudden start charging for it, and PSN Plus has been doing decently enough to warrant it being expanded upon and people seem to love it.

This is just Kotaku spouting last minute bullshit before the meeting happens.

"It's no way Sony will charge over 400 dollars! No way! People are just spouting bullshit!"

"It's no way the Revolution will be just a higher clocked, extra memory Gamecube! you fuckers are crazy!!"

And we know what happened then. Why are folks so quick to just assume the best out of companies who want MONEY and have seen that people have NO PROBLEM paying for it?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Sony charging for a premium online service like Xbox live gold was always obvious to me, so I always find it surprising to see people act... surprised.

They've been charging for a premium service for years already...

I really don't understand the blind faith that so many of you here have for Sony. You're all so confident that they won't charge for online and I have no idea where this confidence is coming from.

I would say it is people taking examples we already have, Online MP has stayed free across 4 of their platforms, PS2, PSP, PS3 and Vita, there's no reason why they would charge for it now when they could have started with the Vita. And they already have a pay for service in place with PS+, just like they have done already, they will just stick new features behind PS+ while giving us the same ones we have always had free, for free.

Bulzeeb

Pretty much in the same boat. Xbox live turned me off so much I stopped even turning on the 360.I really hope this isn't true because I am only interested in the new Playstation console next gen if they blow this it will be the first time I won't be buying a console.

in my case, it is most likely that I'll be going PC for third party games and Wii U for Nintendo exclusives

Everything that is free on the PS3 and Vita will no doubt continue to be free, so MP, Chat, side apps like Netflix, iPlayer etc. will all still be free. Features that are behind PS+ now, subscription games, cloud saves, etc. along with new features like GaiKai streaming are what is going to be behind a paywall.

This is what I'm thinking. I'd be very surprised if online play is still not free.

jbug617

Banned
We are not getting a price tomorrow unless Sony wants to capitalize and get preorders started. I think we hear pricing after E3.

Hype Train is out of control now.

Midou

Because I, like others, were expecting no form of BC, because indeed they fucked up. If the choice was to continue with a complicated and fucked up architecture or give up PS3 BC, I think they made the right choice.

Streaming shit has a lot of costs involved, I don't see them bleeding away money to provide the service a lot of people probably won't use.

At this point I would prefer they just add PS2 hardware back in, I can leave my PS3 out.

lmpaler

If they leave online play alone, but PS World is the new Plus, then cool, go with it.

I don't think Sony will start charging for online play, I mean, this is why some people pick their console over Xbox.

Wasn't that also a selling point in their commercials last year? I vaguely remember those "It only does everything" spots and they touted free online.

If I'm paying to play online I better be getting dedicated servers for those games, if not then I will wait until they release the slim version and play offline, assuming any of their exclusives (another selling point for me) are worth the cost of admission.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, I am thinking the subscription is just going to be a beefed up Playstation Plus, called 'Playstation World' and playing online will still be free. Sounds like the most plausible scenario.

Pooya

That gives credence to the Eye in every box, no? Since that's how the Move works.

that's what has been said by multiple rumors, yeah.

--
maybe the price difference is for the camera and HDD between the two SKUs, not forcing it in every box but still having a LED on every controller might not make much sense, but I don't see the issue if it's not a mandatory feature, you have a controller with light in the front but can't use the feature unless you buy the camera? that's pretty appealing to me actually, because I won't buy the camera :p

Duxxy3

Can someone post a comparison, L2 and R2 don't seem all that different to me(and I am fine with that).

These look slightly concave. We don't know how they travel or how far they travel.

At worst the triggers should be level when fully engaged.

Moobabe

Worst case scenario of the accumulated rumours would be a $500+ console (Like £450+ here no doubt) that charges for online play and blocks used games.

I hope for none of the above.

Into

Kotaku trying to be relevant 24h in advance based on rumors,

can't wait for them to be proven wrong

The problem is that they will get away with it, because tomorrow and the next few days everyone will be talking about the PS4, nobody will bother to dig up these "reports" and thus they will not be held accountable when they are proven wrong.

Its free clicks for them because they know people are on the edge of their seats right now and will read anything regarding the announcement tomorrow

What they posted does not fit with what The Times posted about the price point, so someone is wrong, or likely both are wrong and just speculating.

Top Bottom