• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

I ran into a similar problem when I bought Alien Isolation from Gamestop, they only had a couple non-preorder copies. After I saw the reviews went on first thing and reserved a copy for pickup. Not sure what that says about sales expectations, but usually when they don’t get that many, they aren’t expecting a lot of sales.
The woman working there, who has for years, said this title was dependent on pre-orders and pre-order numbers were low. I imagine they'd have been a lot better if the reviews hit like last Thursday or something.

pager99

Hey guys i have issue ive downloaded until dawn from americian store my main account is ireland but it says unlocking in 128 days and when i click options and information for application starting it says ineligible ,will this unlock at midnight any help appreciated

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not going to be able to get this until the weekend. In two minds whether to play along with my wife - she likes cinematic games and can get quite into the story. But she doesn't like horror movies, so..

Are there mechanisms to skip/FFWD sections on a replay? I'm wondering whether on a second/subsequent run through you'd be more focused on tweaking your responses to key events, and less inclined to watch everything play out in realtime.

UberTag

Are there mechanisms to skip/FFWD sections on a replay? I'm wondering whether on a second/subsequent run through you'd be more focused on tweaking your responses to key events, and less inclined to watch everything play out in realtime.
You do have the ability to jump to specific chapters and alter your original choices to drive different outcomes (butterfly effect results). But no fast-forwarding mechanism beyond that and given how variable conversation can be in this game based on choices made, QTEs hit/missed/not taken, relationship strength with specific characters and clues discovered, it's probably for the best that there isn't one.

Coming as a complete surprise to me, I actually quite want this game. Unfortunately it's gonna have to wait until after MGS V, hopefully the price will drop as well.

Justin here, I played this through twice and reviewed it a 9 out of 10. I'd be happy to answer any questions fellow gaffers have. I freaking love this game and going for a third play through starting tonight.

Justin here, I played this through twice and reviewed it a 9 out of 10. I'd be happy to answer any questions fellow gaffers have. I freaking love this game and going for a third play through starting tonight.

Im going to start my first playthrough in about 1.5 hours. Any tips or advice or should I just do what feels right?

Im going to start my first playthrough in about 1.5 hours. Any tips or advice or should I just do what feels right?

For your first time you definitely just want to let it flow do what you think feels natural or instinctive and you might kick your ass as you go along but it'll make it one hell of an experience that you can then go back and try to change later.

For your first time you definitely just want to let it flow do what you think feels natural or instinctive and you might kick your ass as you go along but it'll make it one hell of an experience that you can then go back and try to change later.

Any idea how the DLC works? Someone mentioned it should be played during your main playthrough, do I need to access it separately from the menu or is it integrated into the game? Just want to make sure I play it in the right order

Any idea how the DLC works? Someone mentioned it should be played during your main playthrough, do I need to access it separately from the menu or is it integrated into the game? Just want to make sure I play it in the right order

The review copies didn't come with that extra DLC luckily I have the game pre ordered so I'm going to go ahead and pick it up just so I can get that DLC and then sell my other copy. After what I've heard basically it takes place in 2 characters it disappear during the main campaign and I don't know if you have to access it separately but if not I'd assume it just plays in between where it normally would be missing

Just started playing this. i'm starting to get a little worried with the storytelling - which is CRUCIAL in making this type of thing work for me. I expected a B-movie script with Telltale competency. I guess I was expecting some type of intro with credits and dialogue to show the relationships and to help you get into the personalities.

A slow build up.

No intro credits or conversations. Within 5 minutes you're already chasing somebody who runs DEEP into the woods because their feelings were hurt. Into the snow. Alone. At night.

You're controlling a bunch of characters who haven't even been given the opportunity to fall into comfortable archetypes. There's already an ominous threat outside the window.

Reminds me of how much i REALLY enjoy the Telltale games writing...

I just started, but I wish I'd waited a little...

UberTag

Here's my response to this question from a couple days back in the Until Dawn preview discussion thread...

There's a "bonus chapter" being included with all pre-orders that will be released as DLC on launch day.

The Amazon listing refers to it as "In this bonus chapter Matt and Emily, a new couple, are out on the cold and snowy mountain path and it’s not long before they realize that they are not alone. Only your choices determine who will survive."

In the retail copy of the game they go off together during Chapter 2 in a quest to retrieve Emily's designer hand bag that she believes to have left abandoned at the tram station on their way to Josh's family lodge. They effectively leave to recover it and are effectively "written out" of events in the game until they reunite with some of the others towards the end of Chapter 4.

I suspect that Sony excised this content from the core game with the explicit intention of offering it as a pre-order incentive because there's really no other explanation for Matt and Emily to be conveniently ignored by the narrative only to then return without referencing why they left in the first place. This game is extremely diligent when it comes to attention to detail so this is the only explanation that makes sense.

So the Extended Edition will, in fact, be what the game should have been without the pre-order DLC gutted from the disc. This "bonus chapter" should reintegrate the missing content with its original placement within Chapters 2-4 of the game... and the Extended Edition should have all of the content without the need of any download (or include a token with which to download it bundled in whether it's pre-ordered or not).
Just started playing this. i'm starting to get a little worried with the storytelling - which is CRUCIAL in making this type of thing work for me. I expected a B-movie script with Telltale competency. I guess I was expecting some type of intro with credits and dialogue to show the relationships and to help you get into the personalities.

A slow build up.

No intro credits or conversations. Within 5 minutes you're already chasing somebody who runs DEEP into the woods because their feelings were hurt. Into the snow. Alone. At night.

You're controlling a bunch of characters who haven't even been given the opportunity to fall into comfortable archetypes. There's already an ominous threat outside the window.

There's definitely a slow burn intro process with everything you're looking for here. It just comes AFTER the prologue.

A slow build up.

As you said you just literally started try not to worry about it that also remember its a slasher horror genre or a game that's trying to mimic these kind of films and they don't always have the deepest of characteristics when it comes to their characters things are meant to be a little bit cliche on purpose

Here's my response to this question from a couple days back in the Until Dawn preview discussion thread...

Thanks. So essentially as long as I've redeemed and download my DLC prior to starting I shouldn't need to do anything, it's just integrated into the appropriate point in the story?

As you said you just literally started try not to worry about it that also remember its a slasher horror genre or a game that's trying to mimic these kind of films and they don't always have the deepest of characteristics when it comes to their characters things are meant to be a little bit cliche on purpose

I totally don't mind the cliche. I expected it. It's just that the prologue feels so ABRUPT. Things seem to be happening so quickly...

But I bought it so I'm going to stick with it.

For those of you who have played it, though, I wonder as we move towards more cinematic games if you think an actual horror movie director and an actual horror movie script would translate into a compelling experience? I just watched Ti West's The House of The Devil and I would LOVE to play an experience that feels like that movie.

Granted, I know that here we'll probably get SCREAM at best, but watching this genre of gaming grow has me kind of excited....

Also a lot of slashers start out just like that lol

hawk2025

I totally don't mind the cliche. I expected it. It's just that the prologue feels so ABRUPT. Things seem to be happening so quickly...

But I bought it so I'm going to stick with it.

For those of you who have played it, though, I wonder as we move towards more cinematic games if you think an actual horror movie director and an actual horror movie script would translate into a compelling experience? I just watched Ti West's The House of The Devil and I would LOVE to play an experience that feels like that movie.

Granted, I know that here we'll probably get SCREAM at best, but watching this genre of gaming grow has me kind of excited....

Heh.

Not sure if I understood you properly, but Until Dawn was actually co-written by the writer of The House Of The Devil.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Random question: Is this a whodunit story with a mystery to solve, or is the killer a Jason/Michael Myers type with a backstory and an actual identity?

UberTag

Thanks. So essentially as long as I've redeemed and download my DLC prior to starting I shouldn't need to do anything, it's just integrated into the appropriate point in the story?
That's the assumption. Unless it gets slotted in somewhere else instead of where that blatant gap in the narrative is. Which would make zero sense.

I finished the game today... I was very careful with my choices and yet I only had 2 characters surviving lol XD

Keeping them alive is much harder than I expected :(

I felt so guilty for real ;_;

Epcott

Watching it streamed on Live at Playstation: Twitch.

I don't care much for horror movies or games like Heavy Rain... But this is soooogooood and brutal. I don't want to spoil it but I can't stop watching :-o

I think I need this game, but I don't have the money for both it and MGSV.

Went ahead and downloaded this before leaving for work. I'm pretty hyped for it. While I don't care all that much for the Scream comparisons (I feel it's an overrated horror movie) I'm all in on just strapping in and going for a ride. Plus, Larry Fessenden is one of my favorite writers/directors so I'm confident the story will be enjoyable.

Now I just need to decide if I should start playing this tonight after work or wait until daytime.

Top Bottom