• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times: Sony is in "the fight for its life"

nib95

Banned
So weird to think about Sony in its current state. It used to be the class of the electronic market and the PS1 and PS2 were "cool" in ways the N64, Saturn, Xbox and GameCube definitely weren't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIA0kaGFIhQ

The PS1 boot-up screen alone serves as a reminder of this.

I wonder how much of a hand Kuturagi actually had in creating the launch PS3 (which was pretty crappy before all the firmware updates). Judging by how poorly their other divisions are doing, I feel like Kuturagi may have just been a scapegoat.

My God. I forgot how pure amazing that start up was. Takes me back.

Ravage

One of Sony's biggest problem is people's perception on them.

Apple uses proprietary format BS, just like Sony, but they are fine because they are trendy. When Sony used to be trendy, their proprietary formats were "oh, it's different because it's better".

They need to change the way people view them. The guy on the first page saying the Xperia phones were better is a great example. Everybody quickly jumped on him because of Sony's track record with android and xperias.

But the phone in question, the new Xperia S (LT26i, the same one i bought recently) is very different from the old models and it is, in fact, better than any iPhone. (not a surprise since it was released to go against the next iteration of iPhones from Apple.

The way people are ready to quickly discard them, without even knowing which product they are making, is a lot more serious than the quality of the products they are making it.

I don't know how they are going to change this perceived image, but i hope Kaz has at least a plan for this.

I agree with this.

I would never simply "want" a company around. A company should earn it's keep. Either Sony will or they won't. If they do go under, by default, a new competitor will rise up with better offerings and execution. Happens all the time.

I would never simply "want" a company around. A company should earn it's keep. Either Sony will or they won't. If they do go under, by default, a new competitor will rise up with better offerings and execution. Happens all the time.

Most ppl accept this, they just don't want Apple to be the Sony-successor for some reason. In all likelihood they're at the top of the candidate list.

Microsoft started small helping Sega with the Dreamcast OS I recall. . . then went for a shoe-in with Xbox 1 and xbox Live then took a chunk of the market from the rear with the 360.

Apple and all those Ios games and stuff. It all begins.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ravage said:
I agree with this.

Indeed, a lot of the issues we're talking about are problems of perception more than anything else.

Take for instance the lunatic assertion of "Playstation" as a dying brand; when you add together sales of PS3, PSP, and PS2 hardware over the last 5 years you are looking at a very large number indeed.

The reality is that you don't need to be #1 everywhere to make solid bank and keep your brand viable and visible.

Indeed, a lot of the issues we're talking about are problems of perception more than anything else.

Take for instance the lunatic assertion of "Playstation" as a dying brand; when you add together sales of PS3, PSP, and PS2 hardware over the last 5 years you are looking at a very large number indeed.

The reality is that you don't need to be #1 everywhere to make solid bank and keep your brand viable and visible.

People aren't sheep when it comes to electronics. There is no perception problem. They just didn't make products people wanted as much. Plain and simple. Too many excuses for their products by people. The reason they are in trouble is because they overdesign / spend in areas they didn't have to. There was no reason they had to make a Cell processor for the PS3, and loose as much money on their debacle. There's a prime example. Looks like they are going back to x86 with the PS4. They are also obviously not a lean organization and are bloated with too many people / infrastructure.

Haha yeah good news about Nintendo or Sony is usually very easily lost in the Sony/Nintendo is DOOMED threads, unfortunately.
Who says it's good news? Just because they dropped a couple of billion doesn't mean it was a good business move. Seems ill-timed to me but I don't know the details obviously. With the way Sony has been managed in the past 6 or 7 years I look on that acquisition skeptically.

Bowler

speaking of the TV division.... Kinda wished i went with a Sony LED then a samsung. Ive Had Nothing but problems with my C series, and now D series Edge lit LED.

Even though they might be hurting, Sony, IMO still rings the term "well Built" for there flagship models.

Jeton

Neo Member
Very insightful article. I have always viewed Japan as a strong contender in the electronics business but I guess times change. One point which caught my attention was how the Japanese people tend to go work for the bigger companies. Now, I can't say I know a lot about Japanese startups but it seems to me that it's more common/accepted in the western countries to start up companies based on original ideas. These companies eventually get acquired by the bigger companies if successful.

My prediction is that Sony will merge with another giant Japanese company to stay afloat. It probably won't happen anytime soon but at this point I really can't see it turning around on its own.

Marco1

Please don't let apple release a console, please Sony.
I'm always amazed when the cool and trendy tech that everyone has to own is sometimes the least capable.

LeleSocho

Banned
But the phone in question, the new Xperia S (LT26i, the same one i bought recently) is very different from the old models and it is, in fact, better than any iPhone. (not a surprise since it was released to go against the next iteration of iPhones from Apple.

Everyone knew what phone he was talking about since it's the last thing they've produced but again, it's not even the best android phone both in hardware and software (it still have gingerbread) and the best android phones are arguably better than the iphone, seems like you want to defend your purchase.

Please don't let apple release a console, please Sony.

I'm always amazed when the cool and trendy tech that everyone has to own is sometimes the least capable.

I wouldn't mind if Apple entered as a direct competitor to Nintendo going straight for that huge casual poontang. Both are white based consoles with Apple having a huge mindshare at the moment.

wiimoting.gif

They just need a wii-type motion control parlour trick to get ppl interested.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Amazing how much Sony has fallen. When I was younger they were one of the top quality brands period. I still believe they make quality products, but they're no longer leading the charge with new ideas.

Such a shame, as companies like Samsung and Panasonic make cheaper, inferior products in my opinion, but that's what everyone wants anymore. Cheap, throw away electronics.

kuroshiki

Sony still does make quality product.

The problem is there are other companies that make products that are also quality products.

and they are cheaper, which makes problem worse.

Acheron

Banned
Consumer electronics are commoditized products easily replicated by low cost producers. TVs etc are becoming like RAM chips in the 80s, simple tech products that can be more easily made in low-wage countries.

The real value is in software, providing the best user experience. It's a mistake to assume mere brand awareness or form factor are the reason for iOS devices to do well, simply they offer the best software suite for the majority of users that leverages the device capability into value creating action.

What's the point? Gaming consoles aren't truly valuable anymore and will function as the living room spoke of integrated content and social networks. In that context not only will Apple involve itself here soon but as well will MS continue to and some form of Google platform or software for other manufacturers inevitably compete. But games themselves will become less the focus and far more platform agnostic as the key competition features will be in overall network design.

It says "PS3/PS Vita and peripheral businesses genereating steady profit".

EDIT: I could also be understood that they talk about the whole package combined, but who knows.

The slides talk about what the future focus points of Sony should be. Gaming that generate steady profit is one of the three steps they look to maintain.

The slides doesn't point out that the Vita is profitable, just that they hope to have a profitable gaming section with the new strategy. Mobile phones is also one of the three core businesses they're focusing on, and that one is heavily in the red.

Cheech

Such a shame, as companies like Samsung and Panasonic make cheaper, inferior products in my opinion, but that's what everyone wants anymore. Cheap, throw away electronics.

Samsung in particular KILLS Sony in any objective reliability tests of hardware quality.

Most electronics manufacturers do a better job than Sony nowadays, at any price. Go check out a new Sony standalone Blu Ray player, it's reminiscent of the old Goldstar crap.

test_account

XP-39C²
The slides talk about what the future focus points of Sony should be. Gaming that generate steady profit is one of the three steps they look to maintain.

The slides doesn't point out that the Vita is profitable, just that they hope to have a profitable gaming section with the new strategy. Mobile phones is also one of the three core businesses they're focusing on, and that one is heavily in the red.
That makes sense. It is unlikely that the Vita is profitable at this point, as in that they made enough money to pay of the R&D costs. I do think that the hardware and accessories are being sold with some profit however.

Sydle

I'm very interested to see desperate Sony in action. I hope it translates to an amazing few years with PS4.

WARP10CK

Banned
This is just crazy and it just sucks that they are in this situation but they can pretty much blame themselves for this.

Like the article points out they have not really made a hit product that has taken off, and being a sony fanboy for years even I have to admit that this does not look good at all.

The VITA has not exactly been a success hell people are trading them in I seen loads of them on the second hand market.

Sony is being kept on life-support by the playstation brand now but soon not even the playstation will not keep them alive unless they change their strategy on their other products.

The next console launch by sony is gonna be incredibly important they really need to get that right the next generation is approaching faster and faster by every day.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

WAT?!?

Come to my house Shin, and see what a 65" (VT25) Panny Plasma looks like

Samsung in particular KILLS Sony in any objective reliability tests of hardware quality.

Most electronics manufacturers do a better job than Sony nowadays, at any price. Go check out a new Sony standalone Blu Ray player, it's reminiscent of the old Goldstar crap.

That's not the impression I get from reading AVS.

Cheebo

Banned
There was a time America made the best electronic goods, then Japan. But Japan's time is over as a electronic powerhouse. Korea and China now rule that market.

Even stuff designed in America is mostly filled with Chinese/Korean parts, much of the iPad is built by Samsung.

There was a time America made the best electronic goods, then Japan. But Japan's time is over as a electronic powerhouse. Korea and China now rule that market.

Not in terms of hardware quality. Just compare the construction of a Samsung plasma to a Panasonic.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Jayayess1190 said:
Sony's fall and Japan's hang-ups

What a truly horrible article.

Honest to God I'm starting to gag at the relentless hagiography of Apple when Google are kicking their arse in global marketshare with a strategy that is even more software-based.

What offends me more is the notion that every CE manufacturer in Japan is facing decline because of their "hubris" and "lack of vision", when ockham's razor suggests a far more obvious culprit in a weakened national economic climate as a result of years of recession.

1-D_FTW

None of the major manufacturers get high marks in the quality control department. Sony is certainly not leading anything though. Their sets are as routinely defective as any (both in terms of build quality and performance defects). To sit there and get into arguments over who is the best: Samsung, Sony, Panasonic is pretty much missing the point. They're all less than stellar and they're all fighting for who's the worst. That's the only real contest at this point in consumer electronics.

Except Nintendo has basically never been in a very desperate position?

Except last year when they lost money for the first time in forever, drastically cut the 3DS' price, and publicly apologized to fans and stockholders? I think that reflects a company pulling out all the stops to ensure their product is a success. Sony hasn't hit that point yet, even having lost billions more.

Except last year when they lost money for the first time in forever, drastically cut the 3DS' price, and publicly apologized to fans and stockholders? I think that reflects a company pulling out all the stops to ensure their product is a success. Sony hasn't hit that point yet, even having lost billions more.

Uh, what? Sony would love to switch financial positions with Nintendo. The ps3 launch was a much, much bigger disaster than the 3DS.

^ People mistake common sense for being desperate. They had to drop the price because it was too expensive. The games that boosted sales were coming out when they did anyway.

The "best Nintendo is panic nintendo" thing never made any sense.

You can't be serious.

^ People mistake common sense for being desperate. They had to drop the price because it was too expensive. The games that boosted sales were coming out when they did anyway.

It does make sense. A lot of people seem to be in love with Nintendo's games this gen, and they were definitely desperate coming into this gen after a decade of failure. They were on the verge of becoming a niche brand.

Mario007

Yeah I think the only panic nintendo was the Virtual Boy

Well whatever Nintendo were, panicked, desperate, or having common sense, they made the right decisions, and we certainly humbled by the whole affair.

I wasn't aware of how badly Sony was doing, but yeah sounds like they're in the financial shitter. At least Nintendo has the benefit of being games only.

Top Bottom