• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im surprised how many ppl is outraged for a youtuber / twitcher saying that in a salty moment while playing a online game. Yet Donald Trump got elected for president saying similar and worst things.

...I'm pretty sure none of the people saying "fuck PewDiePie" were huge Trump supporters.

KyleCross

using hitler propaganda, saying racial slurs...between him and Maximilian i'm wondering what these guys really think...casual racism is very dangerous

the fact that it is being normalized is pretty much the problem
Dude, don't even. Max isn't racist, he fumbled his words while speaking essentially gibberish. He apologized wholeheartedly afterwards even tho it was clearly just a word fumble.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Ban the dude. Off Twitch. Off Twitter. Off Youtube. Show there are consequences to this kind of racist behaviour, or then these gigantic companies are complicit in allowing this.
Chances are he will get a ban from Twitch but it might not be a long one.

And you guys keep giving him attention with threads like this and wonder why he keeps doing it.
Uh yeah there's going to be a thread about the most popular Youtuber with 57 million subscribers saying the N word, what do you expect? If the attention causes him to be a racist asshole, we should do it more so he gets banned off everything and doesn't come back.

Fliesen

To PewDiePie, the word 'n*****r' is an insult synonymous to asshole.

Even worse - english isn't his mother tongue. So it's not some kind of "yeah, we used that word as an insult when we were children, it's really hard to shake that habit"

It's indefensible, which is exactly why nothing will come of this. Because it was "just a joke" or a "in the heat of the moment" thing.

And once again, we don't need to know if PewDiePie really is a racist. Whether or not he does look down upon ethnic minorities - in this case black people.
What matters is that he uses racist language. He calls someone whom he considers an asshole 'n*****r'. His use of words influences the use of words of his audience, which is mostly children.

Buckle

Ban the dude. Off Twitch. Off Twitter. Off Youtube. Show there are consequences to this kind of racist behaviour, or then these gigantic companies are complicit in allowing this.
Would be nice to see some heavy consequences for this since theres a history of him doing shit like this but he'll probably just loses some more sponsors and then wait it out before life goes on, sadly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ninja Dagger?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

EDIT: Oh, that wasn't an excuse for PDP. My mistake.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sometimes I wonder why the fuck I'm wasting my time on GAF. A good chunk of gaffers seem to be stupid fucking apologists of racism and sexism.

True,
the ignorance displayed by some people is just on another level. Even worse seeing how quickly many are jumping in to defend this behavior...

Fuck off with the "he lives in Europe" shit. He lives in the UK, he will 100% know that saying nigger is racist.

Just not the UK. I'm from Sweden just like PewDiePie and everyone here knows its waaaay out of order to say that(Unless you're a shitbag or out of touch old people).

Krabboss

Im surprised how many ppl is outraged for a youtuber / twitcher saying that in a salty moment while playing a online game. Yet Donald Trump got elected for president saying similar and worst things.
A quarter of the country voted for Trump and his approval ratings are abysmal. Everybody was outraged about him before and after the election. I have no idea what your point is.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If it makes you feel better, this thread is gonna be a ban graveyard in the next few hours.
You weren't kidding. After posting that I started ignoring people from my PC, and now most of them are banned. Good job, mods!

Sometimes I wonder why the fuck I'm wasting my time on GAF. A good chunk of gaffers seem to be stupid fucking apologists of racism and sexism.
Because those are the minority, they are always called out by smarter people and tend to be banned quickly.

13ruce

Banned

He makes companies earn lots of money so at most he is forced to publicly apologize.

Wich is quite the sad world we life in.

Alienous

Looks like we have another apologist on our hands folks. All the casual racists sure are coming out in force today.

You don't have another apologist. You have someone who distinguishes between people (like PewDiePie) who'll use racist language to insult and demean, and others (like Maximillian) who've accidentally said it for reasonable reasons, with no history of racism, and apologized.

But sure, I'm a black racist apologist. Sure.

NexusCell

Looks like we have another apologist on our hands folks. All the casual racists sure are coming out in force today.

I mean if you actually watch the video Max says it in and the apology he posted, I would think it is pretty disingenuous to compare the two situations. But obviously you never heard of him before this so you think the two situations are comparable.

Cyframe

Youtubers really need to oust characters like pewdiepie because he and others are making the medium look like a joke. But already I can see video responses explaining why a millionaire with an entire media team behind him doesn't know what the n word means, when he's literally number 1 on youtube. lol

He's such a toxic person. I remember a game called Ao Oni came out and it was pretty popular on youtube years ago and PDP made a song called it's raping time and on friends, I knew that started their own LP's of the game people would leave rape comments on them, all because of PDP's influence.

At this point, anyone defending PDP has severe character flaws.

Merc_

Lots of folks hate Trump and call him on his bullshit daily.

Nice try with the deflection though, Mr. Racist Apologist.

Dont give this guy the attention he craves ffs

It's a bit late for that, he's not exactly an obscure nobody. The only thing we can do now is call attention to things like this so that the decent people among their followers bail out (obviously the Nazis / alt-righters / GamerGaters will cheer him).

kiguel182

I think there's a difference in context from a non American saying the n word because outside of the US it's a non native word and that takes some of the weight of it. Doesn't mean you can say it but more that it might be ignorance or just lacking proper education/life experience.

That said, here he knows exactly what he is saying and the say he says it is no slip of the tongue or anything like that. There's no excuse here and given his history of anti Semitic content and jokes it's not like it's an isolated sentiment. He is fully aware that he shouldn't use that word.

I know people who use that word (abbreviated, not the full one) because of lack of context and being non American. Being a slur in the US doesn't mean the entire world is aware or is taught that. This isn't the case here.

Paganmoon

well there was also this which caused a fair bit of debate:

XQsEB8H.jpg

Yeah that was something heh. We also have an ice cream called 88:an though. (which happens to be my favorite)

ZeoVGM

Banned

The difference between what Max did and his reaction after is very different from what PewDiePie did here, which is on top of a history of bad shit with terrible no-remorse reactions.

And you calling someone racist, as you just did, just for saying they think Max legitimately did not mean to say it, based on the context surrounding it, is a bit much.

Chinner

Banned
From what I've seen, there are a couple of crazies defending this but most seem to be down on it. Seems like this year is finally catching up on him.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Damn I was expecting something else, but that shit came out of his mouth raw as fuck. That doesn't happen unless a person uses the work on a regular basis, completely desensitized of it carrying any moral weight.

He knew he'd fucked up immediately, it seems. Not in a "felt bad" way, but more of a "fuck I had practiced to not let it slip out during streams, time to call my lawyer" type of reaction.

Might as well add me onto the list then cause im vehemently against comparing Max to Pewdiepie.

The situations are not comparable.
Dude is using the max situation as a launch board for mental gymnastics to claim pewds didn't mean to say the n word and isn't a racist. You sure you want to hitch your wagon to that horse?

The difference between what Max did and his reaction after is very different from what PewDiePie did here, which is on top of a history of bad shit with terrible no-remorse reactions.

And you calling someone racist, as you just did, just for saying they think Max legitimately did not mean to say it, based on the context surrounding it, is a bit much.

Ive been called the n word in hate many time so please forgive me for thinking someone who defends the use of slurs regardless of context is a bit racist.

Shubh_C63

I'm on my phone so I'm going to be concise. In what way is talking about suicide a bad thing? Why is talking about Nazis more upsetting to you than Nazis existing? Nobody things f**is a cool thing to say, same for c*** (although the line is blurred a bit outside of the US). Black people saying nigga is not the same thing as white people saying it, and saying it with a hard er is even worse. With how bad your post is, I'm not surprised by the dogwhistle slit sexism in rap, but it's an unfair assessment and you're willfully ignoring sexism in other media. The people who give cart blanche to south park are white teenage dudes, mostly, so that's worthless when discussing what is and isn't offensive.

This is a bad post. The n word still carries the weight of centuries of social inequality. It's still offensive. The context in which pewdiepie used it does not lessen its offensiveness in any way, but nerds will likely argue that it does.

Also everybody is very wrong to suggest the word is totally cool to say in other countries. They are protecting their own ambivalence to the word onto the rest of their country. These people should try asking somebody who isn't white how cool it is to say.

I guess I was ignorant, and am not ashamed to admit it.
I as typically generalizing this word as nothing but another equivalent F* word which is still unacceptable but generally gets passed as rant-angry word. Sorry guys.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Dude, don't even. Max isn't racist, he fumbled his words while speaking essentially gibberish. He apologized wholeheartedly afterwards even tho it was clearly just a word fumble.

As i said, forgive, not forget. even with apologies and excuses, even out of context, for that word to come to mind, you have to think about your words and the people who use them. there are no dismissals.

Yukinari

Dude is using the max situation as a launch board for mental gymnastics to claim pewds didn't mean to say the n word and isn't a racist. You sure you want to hitch your wagon to that horse?

Pewdiepie used the word with clear malice.

Max did not.

That is all im saying. You seem like youre fishing for a few bans yourself.

I guess I was ignorant, and am not ashamed to admit it.
I as typically generalizing this word as nothing but another equivalent F* word which is still unacceptable but generally gets passed as rant-angry word. Sorry guys.

It's ok. Just learn there is a time and a place to ask these kind of questions. This thread is not it.

Helscream

Banned
I wonder if in the future "Nigger" will just end up being a insult specifically for mutliplayer gaming community at large and people will forget it's racial origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom